ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers Trending For 4-Star QB

red hornet

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
by Alec Lashley, Fansided

"The Indiana FB program has been hot on the heels of one of the most talented QB's in the 2021 class & is sitting nicely in his recruitment. The Hoosiers are one of three teams that are trending for 2021 4-Star QB, Donaven McCulley. McCulley is ranked as the #12 dual-threat QB in the entire 2021 class. Outside of Indiana, PU & Missouri have done enough early on in his recruitment to be one of the programs feeling good about it's chances as we head into the summer. Why has Indiana been able to be one of the lead schools for McCulley? The coaching staff noted his potential early on & became the 1st program to extend an offer. Since then, the relationship has taken off & has the Hoosiers as a rel threat to land the talented QB. Up to this point, he has visited Blmgtn twice & will likely be back a few more times due to his proximity & interest in the program. Just how high could McCulley's ceiling be? Carmel's Head FB coach John Hebert says:

"Oh my goodness he's a handful. We haven't seen anyone like him I can remember going back to James Banks[Indiana Mr. Football 2001]. He's just really fluid, talented, natural athlete."

While Donaven McCulley's recruitment is still ongoing, the way Michael Penix & Peyton Ramsey have thrived in Indiana's new offensive system, the Hoosiers could be a perfect match."

I've been saying for awhile now that this is the #1 guy I want out of Indiana. The write up above is very accurate as to what I've seen. He's a very smooth and fluid looking player, but he's also big and fast. Would be a great addition to the QB room at IU. The coaching staff have done a great job getting involved with him early and because of that they're going to have a real chance with him. Higher profile programs will be getting involved for sure, but another 8 win season next year will solidify that last year wasn't a fluke and I think that recruiting will really pick up.

I've been saying for awhile now that this is the #1 guy I want out of Indiana. The write up above is very accurate as to what I've seen. He's a very smooth and fluid looking player, but he's also big and fast. Would be a great addition to the QB room at IU. The coaching staff have done a great job getting involved with him early and because of that they're going to have a real chance with him. Higher profile programs will be getting involved for sure, but another 8 win season next year will solidify that last year wasn't a fluke and I think that recruiting will really pick up.

Keeping top Indiana kids has to be a priority and he would be a great get.

He'd be able to come in as the heir apparent to Penix, and we could see how he'd develop vs. Dexter.

He's got PU in this top 3, but I can't see trusting Brohm there. He's been a good recruiter for them and he's got the offensive reputation, but he just brought in a 4* QB this year right AND was looking to recruit another one if I recall correctly. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with recruiting over your players, but I think he's the kind of guy who would recruit over his own QB in the same year he's bringing them in. That's just asking for transfers. And I think I saw somewhere that PU had told McCulley that they wanted him to play early. I believe they said it, don't believe I'd trust them.

Brohm is a P.O.S. The guy turned down his Alma Mater, in his home city, where his family is all located, to stay at a dump like Purdue. I hope he keeps losing. I know I sound like an A-hole here but I’m not apologizing for it.

Reactions: kmathum
by Alec Lashley, Fansided

"The Indiana FB program has been hot on the heels of one of the most talented QB's in the 2021 class & is sitting nicely in his recruitment. The Hoosiers are one of three teams that are trending for 2021 4-Star QB, Donaven McCulley. McCulley is ranked as the #12 dual-threat QB in the entire 2021 class. Outside of Indiana, PU & Missouri have done enough early on in his recruitment to be one of the programs feeling good about it's chances as we head into the summer. Why has Indiana been able to be one of the lead schools for McCulley? The coaching staff noted his potential early on & became the 1st program to extend an offer. Since then, the relationship has taken off & has the Hoosiers as a rel threat to land the talented QB. Up to this point, he has visited Blmgtn twice & will likely be back a few more times due to his proximity & interest in the program. Just how high could McCulley's ceiling be? Carmel's Head FB coach John Hebert says:

"Oh my goodness he's a handful. We haven't seen anyone like him I can remember going back to James Banks[Indiana Mr. Football 2001]. He's just really fluid, talented, natural athlete."

While Donaven McCulley's recruitment is still ongoing, the way Michael Penix & Peyton Ramsey have thrived in Indiana's new offensive system, the Hoosiers could be a perfect match."
So if Penix will be a RS soph this year, he'd be a RS JR next year during his FR season. If Penix improves way I think he will, I could see him leaving after that JR RS year. Timing would be good. Hope it happens!

Reactions: vesuvius13
So if Penix will be a RS soph this year, he'd be a RS JR next year during his FR season. If Penix improves way I think he will, I could see him leaving after that JR RS year. Timing would be good. Hope it happens!

Losing Penix would suck, but that would potentially leave you with:
Sr. -- Tuttle
RS-So. -- Williams (assuming/hoping he's able to RS in 2020)
RS-Fr. - McCulley

I'd think/hope with the above QB room, Tuttle would be able to win that competition for QB1. You can't keep superior talent off the field, but I just hate seeing so many young guys being asked to take on big roles for 3 & 4 years.

It's good class spacing. let's just hope they all develop into quality B1G QBs. But more importantly, let's hope they can land a big get like McCulley

Tuttle is right with Penix in terms of talent. He doesn't have the reps in games and I still believe Penix is the #1 guy, but if Tuttle has to go, his arm is fantastic and the confidence is building. I don't see much of a drop off talent wise. Because we have Tuttle, I am not at all sweating losing Ramsey.

Tuttle is right with Penix in terms of talent. He doesn't have the reps in games and I still believe Penix is the #1 guy, but if Tuttle has to go, his arm is fantastic and the confidence is building. I don't see much of a drop off talent wise. Because we have Tuttle, I am not at all sweating losing Ramsey.

You aren’t an Elite 11 QB for nothing.

Brohm is a P.O.S. The guy turned down his Alma Mater, in his home city, where his family is all located, to stay at a dump like Purdue. I hope he keeps losing. I know I sound like an A-hole here but I’m not apologizing for it.

He’s a POS because he said no to UL? Maybe you’re just mad he stayed at Purdue and that will hurt IU in terms of in-state recruiting.

Last edited:

He'd be able to come in as the heir apparent to Penix, and we could see how he'd develop vs. Dexter.

He's got PU in this top 3, but I can't see trusting Brohm there. He's been a good recruiter for them and he's got the offensive reputation, but he just brought in a 4* QB this year right AND was looking to recruit another one if I recall correctly. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with recruiting over your players, but I think he's the kind of guy who would recruit over his own QB in the same year he's bringing them in. That's just asking for transfers. And I think I saw somewhere that PU had told McCulley that they wanted him to play early. I believe they said it, don't believe I'd trust them.

He was recruiting another QB because Sindelar didn’t come back for a 6th year and our 3rd string QB going into last season retired due to injury concerns. Not to mention we ended the season with our 4th-string walk-on QB and only 2 healthy scholarship QB’s. Perhaps that’s why he was recruiting 2 QB’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli

Since you mentioned trust...if you were a QB being recruited by Allen, how much trust would you have in your OC being there more than a year or two? I think that’s a legitimate concern given the turnover.
To the early playing time comment, I would argue that that has been something that Brohm has demonstrated success with. Coaches, Allen and his staff most likely included, discuss early playing time with recruits all the time. Brohm has shown he will not only give freshman the chance to compete, but will put them in a position to succeed. Moore, Bell, and Karlaftis seemed to do okay.

Since you mentioned trust...if you were a QB being recruited by Allen, how much trust would you have in your OC being there more than a year or two? I think that’s a legitimate concern given the turnover.
To the early playing time comment, I would argue that that has been something that Brohm has demonstrated success with. Coaches, Allen and his staff most likely included, discuss early playing time with recruits all the time. Brohm has shown he will not only give freshman the chance to compete, but will put them in a position to succeed. Moore, Bell, and Karlaftis seemed to do okay.

Would you by chance be referring to the three Brohm coached Freshmen All Americans from Indiana in the last two years?

Reactions: boilerpt
He’s a POS because he said no to UL? Maybe you’re just mad he stayed at Purdue and that will hurt IU in terms of in-state recruiting.

He told his team they had "nothing to worry about" then got in the truck and met with UL to negotiate.

Turnover based on success. If and when PU shows success, bigger programs will look at your Assistants as well.

Turnover based on success. If and when PU shows success, bigger programs will look at your Assistants as well.

When will other programs seriously look at Allen to be their new head coach? It’s already happened multiple times with Brohm. Why can’t Allen get a sniff from other programs?

How long did your hiatus last?

When will other programs seriously look at Allen to be their new head coach? It’s already happened multiple times with Brohm. Why can’t Allen get a sniff from other programs?

He has been on several long lists already and if he keeps producing IU may lose him. Like PU, IU is is a late second tier program.

Hiatus?

Allen is an Indiana guy. Brohm has no ties to Purdue. Pretty simple. Allen would be in high demand (just like his assistants are) if other schools thought he'd actually leave.

Uh....you must not have followed the Arkansas and Florida State coaching searches. Allen was a candidate.

Jeff was a serious candidate for his alma mater and did a masterful, masterful job of extorting Purdue for a huge raise. That was plain extortion. He and his agent took Purdue Pete and the top brass bent them over the table with a rubber fist, no lube.

He told his team they had "nothing to worry about" then got in the truck and met with UL to negotiate.

And just as he said , his team and fans and university had nothing to worry about. Of course he could not be a jerk and refuse to meet with the L’ville AD as a courtesy given the fact his Dad was also an alum and his parents both are lifelong residents. But, lest it be repetitious, his players were told not to worry and they had nothing to worry about. It is not exactly uncommon to decide the grass is greener some place other than one’s alma mater!

He has been on several long lists already and if he keeps producing IU may lose him. Like PU, IU is is a late second tier program.

Hiatus?
I think both are in a very safe place. Brohm had a down year, record-wise, but it had little effect on the momentum of the program. Recruiting continued to be very strong, attendance was a bright spot (while falling significantly throughout much of the cfb world), and a number of young players showed promise of being solid building blocks going forward.

While the schedule was certainly favorable, there are a number of teams every year that fail to take advantage of it. A winning season, however it comes, is something IU rarely sees and had they not given a couple away, Allen would have had a 10 win season last year. Recruiting isn’t top half of the league, but it’s better than typical. Get past those elite players and recruiting success, IMHO, is about fit and player development.

You see examples of coaches leaving for greener pastures all the time, but neither one of these guys is likely to be appreciated somewhere else nearly as where they are currently. That being said, fans are fickle and “what have you done for me lately” attitudes can develop after a little success. Brohm turned us around immediately. How many seasons can he be home during bowl season before fans expect more (given where Hazell had us, I think Brohm will be sitting on a cool seat for some time IMHO). Allen put together a winning season. When will fans need to see one of those wins be against team that’s not struggling?

And just as he said , his team and fans and university had nothing to worry about. Of course he could not be a jerk and refuse to meet with the L’ville AD as a courtesy given the fact his Dad was also an alum and his parents both are lifelong residents. But, lest it be repetitious, his players were told not to worry and they had nothing to worry about. It is not exactly uncommon to decide the grass is greener some place other than one’s alma mater![/QUOTE
Uh....you must not have followed the Arkansas and Florida State coaching searches. Allen was a candidate.

Jeff was a serious candidate for his alma mater and did a masterful, masterful job of extorting Purdue for a huge raise. That was plain extortion. He and his agent took Purdue Pete and the top brass bent them over the table with a rubber fist, no lube.

Of course he was a serious candidate, Louisville and its partisans we’re certain all they had to do was crook their finher and he would race home with both brothers in tow and settle in to spend their remaining days with Mom and Dad. In the end it was a lot easier to get Grandma and Grandpa to WL than uprooting three families quite comfortable in their new homes. If you want to see a real lube job imagine how quickly Bloomington would be renamed Allentown when the Hoosiers beat Ohio State by 29 points.

Tom Allen has the job that he wanted. Does Brohm? Lol.

Oh. I’m sorry that we had an OC retire and another one hired as Head Coach at a solid Fresno State program.

Do Purdue fans ever tear a deltoid muscle from all the reaching they do?

Oh. I’m sorry that we had an OC retire and another one hired as Head Coach at a solid Fresno State program.

Do Purdue fans ever tear a deltoid muscle from all the reaching they do?
In this thread, Brohm’s integrity has been questioned for recruiting 2 QBs, with different skill sets, in one recruiting cycle (by the way, he’s played multiple QBs every year, ending last year with a 4th stringer) and telling a kid he can see him playing early (he’s had 3 freshmen AAs at Purdue). However, you see the reach being the questioning of the stability in a position that’s seen 3 different coaches in 4 years? Makes sense.

In this thread, Brohm’s integrity has been questioned for recruiting 2 QBs, with different skill sets, in one recruiting cycle (by the way, he’s played multiple QBs every year, ending last year with a 4th stringer) and telling a kid he can see him playing early (he’s had 3 freshmen AAs at Purdue). However, you see the reach being the questioning of the stability in a position that’s seen 3 different coaches in 4 years? Makes sense.

I’m not sure why Brohms integrity was questioned for recruiting McCulley. He was always going to.

I think both are in a very safe place. Brohm had a down year, record-wise, but it had little effect on the momentum of the program. Recruiting continued to be very strong, attendance was a bright spot (while falling significantly throughout much of the cfb world), and a number of young players showed promise of being solid building blocks going forward.

While the schedule was certainly favorable, there are a number of teams every year that fail to take advantage of it. A winning season, however it comes, is something IU rarely sees and had they not given a couple away, Allen would have had a 10 win season last year. Recruiting isn’t top half of the league, but it’s better than typical. Get past those elite players and recruiting success, IMHO, is about fit and player development.

You see examples of coaches leaving for greener pastures all the time, but neither one of these guys is likely to be appreciated somewhere else nearly as where they are currently. That being said, fans are fickle and “what have you done for me lately” attitudes can develop after a little success. Brohm turned us around immediately. How many seasons can he be home during bowl season before fans expect more (given where Hazell had us, I think Brohm will be sitting on a cool seat for some time IMHO). Allen put together a winning season. When will fans need to see one of those wins be against team that’s not struggling?

Both coaches are on cool seats right now. Brohm could find his warmer quicker due to the money and the hype.

I’m not sure why Brohms integrity was questioned for recruiting McCulley. He was always going to.

I didn't question his integrity for recruiting McCulley per se. But if I were McCulley's parents, I'd be leery of someone making the early playing time pitch to a QB when he's giving the same pitch to other QBs he's recruiting every year. He's a great recruiter, no doubt about it. We'll just have to wait and see how he does with attrition over the next couple years.

The cupboard isn't bare in West Lafayette. He for certain landed and played some gems in Moore, Bell, & GK.

No, he is a POS because he told his team they had nothing to worry about and then climbed in his pickup and drove to negotiate with UL. The fact that he ended up staying at PU doesn't change that fact.

Reactions: red hornet
Both coaches are on cool seats right now. Brohm could find his warmer quicker due to the money and the hype.
No, he is a POS because he told his team they had nothing to worry about and then climbed in his pickup and drove to negotiate with UL. The fact that he ended up staying at PU doesn't change that fact.

You keep repeating it as if you think the more you repeat it, the more there is a possibility it will somehow gain traction. It doesn’t. The truth is the man took a job, turned around a program that was 9-39 in the previous four years and has has two consecutive Recruiting classes in the Top Half of the Big Ten. He has twice been approached by other 5 programs and twice he has said no to overtures. The attendance increase resulting from his success has more than covered his increased compensation. That does not happen very often. Purdue has had no coaching turnover on the offensive side of the ball in Brohm’s three seasons at the helm. That is stability!

I’m not worry about “hype” at all. Don’t get me wrong, we’re not headed to a playoff game soon, but anyone that won’t acknowledge what he’s accomplished in such a short time simply has their head in the sand. It’s very clear that he has his program trending very well. As you mentioned with money, I am interested in how our current COVID situation impacts sports in general going forward. Obviously, you can’t continue operate with the expenses that we, and everybody else, have let become the norm with significant down time or if crowds don’t come back.

I didn't question his integrity for recruiting McCulley per se. But if I were McCulley's parents, I'd be leery of someone making the early playing time pitch to a QB when he's giving the same pitch to other QBs he's recruiting every year. He's a great recruiter, no doubt about it. We'll just have to wait and see how he does with attrition over the next couple years.

The cupboard isn't bare in West Lafayette. He for certain landed and played some gems in Moore, Bell, & GK.

I hate Purdue as much as anyone, but you're crazy to think Brohm is the only coach out there telling kids that they want them play early.

Every school tries to over recruit the kids already on their team. That's how they get better. CTA has shown that he's going to play the best players he has, no matter of class, so why wouldn't Brohm do it as well? Brohm has proven than he'll play freshman if they're good enough as you pointed out.

You keep repeating it as if you think the more you repeat it, the more there is a possibility it will somehow gain traction. It doesn’t. The truth is the man took a job, turned around a program that was 9-39 in the previous four years and has has two consecutive Recruiting classes in the Top Half of the Big Ten. He has twice been approached by other 5 programs and twice he has said no to overtures. The attendance increase resulting from his success has more than covered his increased compensation. That does not happen very often. Purdue has had no coaching turnover on the offensive side of the ball in Brohm’s three seasons at the helm. That is stability!

I simply responded to a post Des. The fact is you keep repeating the "Yabut" he stayed with the hope that it somehow makes the first part untrue.

We are both stating facts although attendance waned with the season and there was a lot of deep discounting...remember, I get the emails from the AD.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
I’m not worry about “hype” at all. Don’t get me wrong, we’re not headed to a playoff game soon, but anyone that won’t acknowledge what he’s accomplished in such a short time simply has their head in the sand. It’s very clear that he has his program trending very well. As you mentioned with money, I am interested in how our current COVID situation impacts sports in general going forward. Obviously, you can’t continue operate with the expenses that we, and everybody else, have let become the norm with significant down time or if crowds don’t come back.

Most took about a $400K haircut just from the NCAA. The BIG tourney cancellation will add to that. Glass announced that some scheduled maintenance and construction is on hold. Season tix renewals have been extended. August is the month all ADs are looking at right now because sponsorships ans season tix need to be firmed up. BTN is scrambling as well with Biz Dev Execs not even getting out let alone closing deals.

In our businesses we are recommending tiered conditional deals with trigger dates where perishable dates are in play. Tough times.

Uninformed statement to make. I am maybe one of the biggest IU football fan there is, but Brohm is a class act. I've met him and talked with him for a few minutes. My brother-in-law was on the Trinity H.S. board with him and knows him very well. Most relevant to your statement, my dad was a high school football coach in Indiana for many years. He's getting up in years, but Brohm went out of his way to have him up to visit and talk with him, and tour facilities.

I want to destroy Purdue every time we play them, but I have the utmost respect for Brohm.

I don't question his integrity for making recruiting pitches to recruits.

I question his integrity for throwing Holt under the bus for last season.

With what Holt had to work with his first 2 years, he worked miracles. Last year he coached the walking wounded. Purdue's pass rush against us was as good as any other team we faced.

I'm no Purdue fan, and I have no particular hate for Brohm, but I thought he really dealt Holt dirty.

ADVERTISEMENT