ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier Baseball In Summer League

Thank you for taking the interest to begin gathering this information.

Some schools do a nice job of promoting their players and in turn their program by providing summer league assignments and a means to follow the players through their seasons. Hopefully IU will take this approach soon.

There are a number of young players who had no to minimal PT this season that may be needed next winter/spring and summer. This is a time to see how they stack up with kids from other college teams (Litwicki and Balgaard in addition to Long and Eaton, come to mind). Similarly we had a number of freshman and sophmores play a roll this season. Some may play in one of the higher leagues, how will they fare. To name a few besides the ones you have listed: Crail, Beauchamp, Manous, Sommer.

Perhaps the biggest indicator for next year is the healthy return of undrafted juniors. Will any sign free agent deals, who will play a season of summer ball in anticipation of returning in the fall for what could be a strong 2019 club.

For me this is somewhat like what was called the Hot Stove league between the World series and the Grapefruit/Cactus leagues spring training.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the interest to begin gathering this information.

Some schools do a nice job of promoting their players and in turn their program by providing summer league assignments and a means to follow the players through their seasons. Hopefully IU will take this approach soon.

There are a number of young players who had no to minimal PT this season that may be needed next winter/spring and summer. This is a time to see how they stack up with kids from other college teams (Litwicki and Balgaard in addition to Long and Eaton, come to mind). Similarly we had a number of freshman and sophmores play a roll this season. Some may play in one of the higher leagues, how will they fare. To name a few besides the ones you have listed: Crail, Beauchamp, Manous, Sommer.

Perhaps the biggest indicator for next year is the healthy return of undrafted juniors. Will any sign free agent deals, who will play a season of summer ball in anticipation of returning in the fall for what could be a strong 2019 club.

For me this is somewhat like what was called the Hot Stove league between the World series and the Grapefruit/Cactus leagues spring training.
No problem. Seems
like some of the RS freshman have been playing with their teams for about a week and should learn about some more soon. Beauchamp pitched at The Cape last year but I haven’t heard if he’s returning. Litwicki had surgery but I’d think Balgaard’s name will show up somewhere soon.

Last edited:
Per Heartland site Carter Bridge (So OF) headed to IU, 6’11’ pitcher Mitchell Price to Xavier.
http://www.heartland.edu/athletics/baseball/index.html

Tanner Gordon (John Logan - Pitcher) was NJCAA player of the week with a 19 strikeout performance this spring.

http://loganvols.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/releases/tgodPOW
Per Heartland site Carter Bridge (So OF) headed to IU, 6’11’ pitcher Mitchell Price to Xavier.
http://www.heartland.edu/athletics/baseball/index.html

Tanner Gordon (John Logan - Pitcher) was NJCAA player of the week with a 19 strikeout performance this spring.

http://loganvols.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/releases/tgodPOW

I guess Price changed his mind. Was hoping Randy Johnson could give him some tips

I guess it is not a lock that Lloyd, Kaletha, Fineman,Milto and Bradley will return,but with them not getting drafted I am hoping they all do. It does look like we have an abundance of newcomers headed our way so is this our sign (Bill Engval style) that a lot of the juniors may move on and test the waters?

I guess it is not a lock that Lloyd, Kaletha, Fineman,Milto and Bradley will return,but with them not getting drafted I am hoping they all do. It does look like we have an abundance of newcomers headed our way so is this our sign (Bill Engval style) that a lot of the juniors may move on and test the waters?

It is hard to say what the Fall roster will look like, let alone next season’s. There are a number of others missing from the list, Beauchamp, Cross, Sloan and Eaton for example. Eaton was a highly regarded HS prospect who pitched early in the season and not again. He is pitching with the Plymouth Pilgrims this summer and is a teammate of Elijah Dunham. He was not listed among the summer ball players, while 5 non 18 roster kids are. I respect the spunk of those 5 chasing the dream and hope Eaton is back for his sophmore season in Bloomington. I would add the value of inferences drawn from the Official IU Baseball website is questionable at best.

Reactions: 82IU
It is hard to say what the Fall roster will look like, let alone next season’s. There are a number of others missing from the list, Beauchamp, Cross, Sloan and Eaton for example. Eaton was a highly regarded HS prospect who pitched early in the season and not again. He is pitching with the Plymouth Pilgrims this summer and is a teammate of Elijah Dunham. He was not listed among the summer ball players, while 5 non 18 roster kids are. I respect the spunk of those 5 chasing the dream and hope Eaton is back for his sophmore season in Bloomington. I would add the value of inferences drawn from the Official IU Baseball website is questionable at best.

Those 5 were red shirted in 18. Haven’t heard anything about Cam, Cross or Sloan either.

I believe you are correct as all five are IU students and participated in 2018 fall ball. Actually on closer inspection Petrosino fits that category as well as he was non rostered this season. Technically Litwicki and Balgaard are red shirts also even though they were on the roster. I believe Litwicki had TJ surgery after HS and expect if he is throwing now it is on campus and closely watched. I believe he was highly regarded coming out of HS.

Bottom line we will have plenty of candidates for a 35 man roster. Through graduation and pro signings so far I believe we have 11 vacancies from this season’s roster. There are 12 HS recruits (11 on Perfect Game list + McCade Brown), 2 known JC’s and the 6 2018 red shirts. FWIW (not much, having seen exactly none of them play) I give Van Pelt the best shot.

IMO we will be much better if those absent from the website’s summer ball list return and CCL can cherry pick from the other holdovers, redshirts and new kids to reach 35.

Reactions: snowling
For what it is worth, I ran into Wyatt Cross' family at the Bart on the last game of the season and I asked if he was coming back for his senior season and they acted like he was. I think he could be a valuable piece to the puzzle if Fineman does not return.

Bottom line we will have plenty of candidates for a 35 man roster. Through graduation and pro signings so far I believe we have 11 vacancies from this season’s roster. There are 12 HS recruits (11 on Perfect Game list + McCade Brown), 2 known JC’s and the 6 2018 red shirts. FWIW (not much, having seen exactly none of them play) I give Van Pelt the best shot.

Quick question, Charles:
I count 10 vacancies from this years roster. Those are Miller, Stiever, Herrin, Sabol, Sowers, Hobbie, Kryzko, Lowe, Stratten, and Eustace. Who's the 11th player per your count?
Appreciate your comments and insight. Thank you in advance.

Go Hoosiers!

I spoke to someone pretty close to the team last night and he said they expect everyone back except for the graduating seniors and the drafted players.

He also said the Texas A&M and Texas games were huge for the team and especially the younger players to see what big time college baseball is all about. The staff is very excited for next season’s team to get on the field.

Quick question, Charles:
I count 10 vacancies from this years roster. Those are Miller, Stiever, Herrin, Sabol, Sowers, Hobbie, Kryzko, Lowe, Stratten, and Eustace. Who's the 11th player per your count?
Appreciate your comments and insight. Thank you in advance.

Go Hoosiers!

You are absolutely right, I counted Logan Sowers twice. Rough getting old.

I spoke to someone pretty close to the team last night and he said they expect everyone back except for the graduating seniors and the drafted players.

He also said the Texas A&M and Texas games were huge for the team and especially the younger players to see what big time college baseball is all about. The staff is very excited for next season’s team to get on the field.

Agree about the young talent getting some exposure to big time college baseball and agree that next year’s team could be very good with everyone back with a few new talents sprinkled in. I hope next year’s non conference schedule is a bit more challenging as some of the early wins were pyrite IMO.

For what it is worth, I ran into Wyatt Cross' family at the Bart on the last game of the season and I asked if he was coming back for his senior season and they acted like he was. I think he could be a valuable piece to the puzzle if Fineman does not return.

Hope he does, would have liked to have seen him as a mid week fixture behind the plate, plus some weekend starts. He produced at the end of the year.

Also I don’t know off hand how many games Fineman didn’t catch but pretty sure he caught the vast majority of the innings and that wears on a guy no matter how young and in shape they are.

Reactions: jmbennett and 82IU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT