ADVERTISEMENT

Honky Tonk Man

So this is a Dallas Frazier classic, that has been covered by (among others) both George Jones and George Strait. But nothing against those fine gents, but this version by POCO which I started listening to back in high school is still my favorite.

Love Richie Furray's vocal (and the exquisite POCO harmonies) along with Jimmy Messina's always tasteful picking and the immensely talented Rusty Young on steel. Just another example (Richie and Jimmy) of the immense talent that emerged from Buffalo Springfield...

So this is a Dallas Frazier classic, that has been covered by (among others) both George Jones and George Strait. But nothing against those fine gents, but this version by POCO which I started listening to back in high school is still my favorite.

Love Richie Furray's vocal (and the exquisite POCO harmonies) along with Jimmy Messina's always tasteful picking and the immensely talented Rusty Young on steel. Just another example (Richie and Jimmy) of the immense talent that emerged from Buffalo Springfield...

And speaking of Buffalo Springfield, they along with the Burritos basically (IMHO) created "country-rock"...

From "Again" with Richie on lead vocal and Stills and Young singing background harmonies...

From the debut album, a Stills song

And speaking of Buffalo Springfield, they along with the Burritos basically (IMHO) created "country-rock"...

From "Again" with Richie on lead vocal and Stills and Young singing background harmonies...

From the debut album, a Stills song

And speaking of Mr Stills, his exit from Springfield and the formation of both CSNY and Manassas basically coincided with my musical coming of age- the high school years. I played the crap out of that Manassas debut double album, so much talent and versatility in one ensemble- four distinctly unique sides of musical brilliance. The vocals, steel, and fiddle (by Legendary Byron Berline) on these 3 cuts are amazing

Jesus Gave Love Away for Free

Colorado

Don't look at my shadow- Still's retrospective reflection on his first 25+ years musically

"New York City years ago
Tourists in the rain
Singin' on the swing shift
For pennies
Thinkin' 'bout the bayou
Cajun river song
It almost got my head broke
In Texas
Purple Peacock, Honky Tonk
Eunice, Louisiana
Bourbon whiskey free, son
Just tune up the piano
Workin' clubs in New Orleans
Bringin' down a dollar
College boys drink beer
And throw the bottles"

The details are fuzzy after so many years, but this show in 1972 was my first ever visit to Assembly Hall...

And speaking of Mr Stills, his exit from Springfield and the formation of both CSNY and Manassas basically coincided with my musical coming of age- the high school years. I played the crap out of that Manassas debut double album, so much talent and versatility in one ensemble- four distinctly unique sides of musical brilliance. The vocals, steel, and fiddle (by Legendary Byron Berline) on these 3 cuts are amazing

Jesus Gave Love Away for Free

Colorado

Don't look at my shadow- Still's retrospective reflection on his first 25+ years musically

"New York City years ago
Tourists in the rain
Singin' on the swing shift
For pennies
Thinkin' 'bout the bayou
Cajun river song
It almost got my head broke
In Texas
Purple Peacock, Honky Tonk
Eunice, Louisiana
Bourbon whiskey free, son
Just tune up the piano
Workin' clubs in New Orleans
Bringin' down a dollar
College boys drink beer
And throw the bottles"

The details are fuzzy after so many years, but this show in 1972 was my first ever visit to Assembly Hall...

Mr Parsons and the Burritos...

Live version of Grievous Angel (Gram and Emmylou)

No explanation necessary

Reactions: Hoops Cat
Honky_Tonk_Man_bio.png

ADVERTISEMENT