ADVERTISEMENT

Holy shit - CBS steps up and does what everyone wishes they could

They've decided, after an investigation by two firms, that they have ample reason to fire Les Moonves for cause, and will not offer him a single penny in severance. Moonves will undoubtedly sue, but if they stand their ground, it could be a big step in the realm of corporate (and individual) accountability.
Let's say there are three factors in the Les Moonves rise to corporate power: (1) shrewd skills and unique brilliance; (2) luck; and (3) a dominating personality and willingness (and eagerness) to knock people down who get in his way.

What would you guesstimate are the applicable percentages for Moonves?

Weird that it's even notable, let alone holy shittable.
My long history in business and law combined has taught me that one of the worst developments in the history of humanity is the mathematical equation that leads to someone deciding it is more efficient to pay someone off than to fight. Sometimes people need to be fought. Whatever CBS pays in attorney's fees while being sued by Moonves will be worth it in the very, very long run, not only for CBS, but for society.

They've decided, after an investigation by two firms, that they have ample reason to fire Les Moonves for cause, and will not offer him a single penny in severance. Moonves will undoubtedly sue, but if they stand their ground, it could be a big step in the realm of corporate (and individual) accountability.
I would not be so sure that Moonves will sue. For one thing, CBS likely would have significant counterclaims against Moonves--and not just for the cost of sexual harassment claims against CBS arising from his arousals.
Heck, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that this was all worked-out with Moonves' attorneys, as in we will agree not to sue you if you agree not to sue us.
Also, this is not necessarily unique (other than perhaps the amount of money at stake). For example, Matt Lauer was shown the door without receiving any of the money owed to him under his contract with NBC.

I would not be so sure that Moonves will sue. For one thing, CBS likely would have significant counterclaims against Moonves--and not just for the cost of sexual harassment claims against CBS arising from his arousals.
Heck, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that this was all worked-out with Moonves' attorneys, as in we will agree not to sue you if you agree not to sue us.
Also, this is not necessarily unique (other than perhaps the amount of money at stake). For example, Matt Lauer was shown the door without receiving any of the money owed to him under his contract with NBC.
Just looked up his net worth: $700 million.

He certainly doesn’t need the money.

Reactions: All4You
Gods, you're such a wet blanket.

Reactions: Noodle
My long history in business and law combined has taught me that one of the worst developments in the history of humanity is the mathematical equation that leads to someone deciding it is more efficient to pay someone off than to fight.

This is an amazing statement for a lawyer or a business person. It's ALWAYS more efficient to settle than hold a trial, no? The art and process of compromise and settlement is an important part of being a lawyer and being in business. Settlement negotiations are so important that there are ethics rules about it.

Sometimes people need to be fought.

So true. But don't confuse this with being efficient. Especially for public bodies, there are reasons why a firm and consistent stand needs to be set forth even though that might cost more money.

Reactions: All4You
This is an amazing statement for a lawyer or a business person. It's ALWAYS more efficient to settle than hold a trial, no? The art and process of compromise and settlement is an important part of being a lawyer and being in business. Settlement negotiations are so important that there are ethics rules about it.

So true. But don't confuse this with being efficient. Especially for public bodies, there are reasons why a firm and consistent stand needs to be set forth even though that might cost more money.
Perhaps I was unclear. I didn't say fighting would be efficient. I was bemoaning the other effects of taking the efficient way out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT