ADVERTISEMENT

Holcomb mandates masks in Indiana

Positive sign: the order doesn't take effect until Monday, but I just got back from Kroger, where mask usage appeared to be 100%.
I've seen signage about mask wearing required in places that had never made the effort before. Of course, this is Bton, and it was ordered this week by the local Health Department. That said, compliance here has been near universal in the few places I've been to in the last few days.

It just occurred to me... I go to the downtown post office several times a week, both for work and for personal business. I don't think it's required, but I don't think I've seen anyone not masked up there in forever.

Positive sign: the order doesn't take effect until Monday, but I just got back from Kroger, where mask usage appeared to be 100%.

I just got back from lunch--W/ a stop for ice cream on the way. My diner has good compliance. They reminded me to wear a mask to the restroom. An elder couple my age who do not wear masks were told to do so. We all had a good laugh over it. Virginia where I live has a profile similar to indiana, and a similar uptick. Before I left my waitress wondered why the busboy didn't use his brain. No Iea what she was po'ed about.

His wife and a close friend. Not a good choice by Fauci symbolically, but we all are learning to live with the risk. He knows the risks better than most.
I wonder how long the camera was on him? Isn't baseball playing without fans?
So, if he sat there the whole game, with his wife and a close friend, in an empty area of the stadium, and he took his mask down for a momentary breather, that's somehow newsworthy?
o_O

Reactions: glmiu11
I wonder how long the camera was on him? Isn't baseball playing without fans?
So, if he sat there the whole game, with his wife and a close friend, in an empty area of the stadium, and he took his mask down for a momentary breather, that's somehow newsworthy?
o_O
Yeah, too bad for him he has to be totally on guard against anything the Freedom! crowd might use against him.

It's alarming, frightening, and discouraging that a meaningful portion of our electorate is comprised of kooks, morons and cultists (regardless of ideological persuasion). What is that portion? 40%? 50%?

On top of that, though, is a further troubling reality (in my view). It's another large portion of our electorate that doesn't fit neatly in that kook/moron/cultist bucket. They're probably educated and gainfully employed and think they know stuff and are swinging the decisions that matter in harmful and ignorant ways. They're full of all the standard biases (e.g., recency bias, confirmation bias, etc.) They refuse to acknowledge any of that, though, and weigh in with their "serious" contributions when they have no expertise whatsoever. I think the most galling bias might be the "it needs to sound reasonable from my lazy-boy" bias. I think there's a fair amount of Dunning-Kruger going on with this group and maybe we all fall into it to some degree. But fundamental goals, principles and outcome achievement don't anchor their thought processes in any meaningful way. It's all so sloppy, undisciplined, and lazy. Worse, it's really harmful. It's playing out on the school issues, but it's true of pretty much everything. If the kook/moron/cultist group comprises 40%, I'm wondering if this more politically-palatable group comprises something like another 40%. That doesn't leave many folks capable of making decisions or able to get things done.
Speak of the devil. And propped up by mainstream outlets like Good Morning America. Vapid, lazy, reckless, baseless, falsely postured and so on.

Speak of the devil. And propped up by mainstream outlets like Good Morning America. Vapid, lazy, reckless, baseless, falsely postured and so on.
Would she say the same regarding anti-vaxxers or Christian Scientist types?

Not cheap if it ends up costing lives.

I am just implying the "any choice you make is right" is the participation trophy of self-help crap. Even House had a better view, from Three Stories (the best House episode):

I'm sure this goes against everything you've been taught, but right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is, maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.​

Reactions: UncleMark
I am just implying the "any choice you make is right" is the participation trophy of self-help crap.

thread drift........

I'll agree that what most people think of as "self help" is crap, but there's a substantial body of work that also falls into that category that has merit. One tenet of one such program I'm familiar with that I think you might appreciate is "Feelings aren't facts".

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I saw an article just yesterday that had Indiana as one of a handful of states experiencing an especially bad spike right now.

I predict we go back to Stage 4, if not Stage 3, before the end of August.

Fauci and Birx both have mentioned Indiana as part of a spike. I hope the mask push helps, but it is not looking good right now.

This story that I saw on WANE earlier today just hit CNN's front page.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/us/indiana-student-covid-positive-school/index.html

That sleepover camp in Georgia making the news right now is not helping the "open school" cause. MLB players not even getting through the first weekend does not help either.

I see Manfred told the players today that MLB might have to shut down. I really see no way football can happen. The bubble may let the NBA play out. But you cannot bubble a college football team.

Basketball's chances are slim and none, and slim's train is at the city limits sign.

Back to baseball, no one believes the rules apply to them. The Marlins saying "screw protocol, let's play" is going to play out all over America. Americans love going to work sick, we love being seen as both indespensible and tough. No way we keep sick workers, or even students, home.

Th fact that IU and PU are wanting to open is insane. The results are completely predictable.

Yes. I get why everyone wants in person. And I get that both IU and PU are being sued over going online in the spring. IU is alr4ady facing a Change.org petition since about 60% of this year's classes are online. That probably means another lawsuit is ready.

And if students do not come, a lot of businesses will fold. And a lot of layoffs will happen at IU, which will hurt even more businesses.

All that said, bringing people here only delays the inevitable. I wonder what the health people in IU's task force would give as odds of remaining open if they could speak freely. In the meeting they sounded so confident their plan will work.

Yes. I get why everyone wants in person. And I get that both IU and PU are being sued over going online in the spring. IU is alr4ady facing a Change.org petition since about 60% of this year's classes are online. That probably means another lawsuit is ready.

And if students do not come, a lot of businesses will fold. And a lot of layoffs will happen at IU, which will hurt even more businesses.

All that said, bringing people here only delays the inevitable. I wonder what the health people in IU's task force would give as odds of remaining open if they could speak freely. In the meeting they sounded so confident their plan will work.

No good answers to be sure but creating a super spreader on campus does the same damage not opening does except kids, parents, grandparents and local community members die.

No good answers to be sure but creating a super spreader on campus does the same damage not opening does except kids, parents, grandparents and local community members die.

That story that Bloomington Hospital is full seems the warning bell. Yes, youth are hospitalized less. But bring 20,000 more of them in and at least a few will need hospitalized. Even if 10 more, where do you put them.

That story that Bloomington Hospital is full seems the warning bell. Yes, youth are hospitalized less. But bring 20,000 more of them in and at least a few will need hospitalized. Even if 10 more, where do you put them.

Then they go home for Thanksgiving. Boom

ADVERTISEMENT