ADVERTISEMENT

Holcomb mandates masks in Indiana

While he was Pence's Lt. Governor, I would put him more in the Mitch Daniels camp of the GOP than the Pence/Trump camp. Which makes sense, given he was part of Daniels administration.

Mitch was/is more conservative and has been more aggressive about reopening Purdue than most university presidents. Holcomb is a different cat. He has been better on the pandemic but not as strong economically.

And she is 100% right.

But If she cannot change how people move around her and they will continue to make poor choices...I suppose i would go at a different time to reduce the risk and frustration. Covidiots gonna Covidiot.
The nearby Bton NW Y was bad from day one after opening. She went there twice and hasn't been back. She then went to the SE Y and said they had better spacing of the equipment she uses and people were doing a better job of keeping their distance. Evidently that's gone by the wayside.

The nearby Bton NW Y was bad from day one after opening. She went there twice and hasn't been back. She then went to the SE Y and said they had better spacing of the equipment she uses and people were doing a better job of keeping their distance. Evidently that's gone by the wayside.

That sucks. She can either spend her time being frustrated with idiots or adjust for her own sanity. the first few years we went to S FL for the winter, i thought I would fix the way all the NY idiots drove...I was wrong. Only frustrated myself. They will never know what the left lane is for or how to efficiently us it.

I'm curious if you wear a mask, while still working with the general public (aka. a cashier) you are constantly touching things they touch surfaces they touch and then taking off and putting on your mask does that make the mask that safe?

I respect Governor Holcomb's decision and I will wear one where I work while around customers, I'm just not 100% convinced that "just wearing a mask" makes a difference. Case in point I was with a commercial customer this morning and he had his mask on, he proceeded to use my pin touch my desk as well as the doors and such in my building. He also moved and took down his mask about 5-10 times during the interaction using the same hands he touched all that with, if Covid was around he probably was exposed mask or no mask.

Again, I have no issue following the rules I just see holes in the logic.

Respratory droplets from an infected person can contain MILLIONS of virus particles. Yes, the droplets can settle on the surface, dry out, and some particles remain viable. So cleaning surfaces is good.

But, OVERWHELMINGLY, the main way SarsCoV2 is spead is through breathing in the droplets that another person has just now breathed out. Stay away from the breath of other people. That is easier to do if they wear a mask. It really is plain common sense.

Last edited:
I think we all agree

Wearing a mask sucks out loud.

But I love all you guys so I have been doing it all along.

I know you all love me...so wear yours.

It’s the gym, not the supermarket. Good for her for all hard work in the gym, I respect that. But the gym can be an inherently crowded place with the potential for several people all seeking to use one item at the same time where you really can’t wear a mask as it restricts oxygen flow.

Well...you actually CAN work out and wear a mask. My son and I wear a mask at the gym lifting. My daughter does her soccer workouts with a gaiter mask. So, you CAN really wear a mask. YOU can spread out and share equipment safely and responsibly. People are just CHOOSING not to and that's unfortunate.

Well...you actually CAN work out and wear a mask. My son and I wear a mask at the gym lifting. My daughter does her soccer workouts with a gaiter mask. So, you CAN really wear a mask. YOU can spread out and share equipment safely and responsibly. People are just CHOOSING not to and that's unfortunate.

you CAN slam your forehead through drywall

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I've previously agreed with some others that the GOP is so corrupt that it's the duty of all Americans to vote straight Democrat as punishment. Which, believe it or not, would be a rarity for me, as I usually vote for at least a couple of Republicans.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering making an exception for Holcomb this year. I don't think he needs my vote, to be honest. I think he'll win running away. But he's probably going to get my vote, anyway. I've been very happy with his tenure so far, and I think he's done an especially solid job with the coronavirus (even if I do wish he'd be a bit quicker and more decisive with his actions, instead of taking too many of them at the last minute, and only committing to them for two weeks at a time).
Agree, Holcomb has been pretty solid and ordinarily I would vote for him. But unless he renounces his Pub affiliation, he won't get my vote. None will, under any circumstance. Partly because that party needs to be eradicated and partly because I question the judgement of anyone who choses to remain in the GOP after this extended shit show.

Agree, Holcomb has been pretty solid and ordinarily I would vote for him. But unless he renounces his Pub affiliation, he won't get my vote. None will, under any circumstance. Partly because that party needs to be eradicated and partly because I question the judgement of anyone who choses to remain in the GOP after this extended shit show.
That's a fair take. I still might land there, too. Right now, I'm leaning the other way, but there's still a lot of time left before I have to decide.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
I'm curious if you wear a mask, while still working with the general public (aka. a cashier) you are constantly touching things they touch surfaces they touch and then taking off and putting on your mask does that make the mask that safe?

I respect Governor Holcomb's decision and I will wear one where I work while around customers, I'm just not 100% convinced that "just wearing a mask" makes a difference. Case in point I was with a commercial customer this morning and he had his mask on, he proceeded to use my pin touch my desk as well as the doors and such in my building. He also moved and took down his mask about 5-10 times during the interaction using the same hands he touched all that with, if Covid was around he probably was exposed mask or no mask.

I don’t think anyone has suggested they are 100% effective, but when used in conjunction with other measure such as distancing, etc. it makes good sense, even if it is only minimally effective. I believe it is much more than that, but have tried to express to those opposed to wearing them in terms of “even if it’s only 25% effective, isn’t it worth it?” Needless to say, I’ve been disappointed with the responses in many cases...

Reactions: TommyCracker
The other side of the coin is do you want to punish the sane, competent, centrist Republicans who haven't sucked Trump's ass? We're always going to have Republicans. Best thing for all concerned is to let the ones like Holcomb survive while excising the crazies.

No one says it's 100% effective.
But 75% effective (for example) is better than 0%.
Why is this so hard?

Freedom! Constitutional Rights!

duh

Was just in the target in fishers off 116&I69 the heart of a Republican/trump strong hold

just about everyone was wearing a mask, if some improperly

I saw 7 people in the whole store without them on. One middle aged white guy. The others, two separate groupings of 3 black people. The only blacks I saw the whole time I was there btw. How could this be??? We know 90% of blacks vote dem and only idiot tRump supporters won’t wear masks.

needless to say my mind nearly exploded as I knew I certainly was having an hallucination brought on by lack of oxygen due to my mask

Reactions: TommyCracker
Was just in the target in fishers off 116&I69 the heart of a Republican/trump strong hold

just about everyone was wearing a mask, if some improperly

I saw 7 people in the whole store without them on. One middle aged white guy. The others, two separate groupings of 3 black people. The only blacks I saw the whole time I was there btw. How could this be??? We know 90% of blacks vote dem and only idiot tRump supporters won’t wear masks.

needless to say my mind nearly exploded as I knew I certainly was having an hallucination brought on by lack of oxygen due to my mask
Probably the carbon monoxide you’re breathing back in, as was told to me by a gentleman I know...

The other side of the coin is do you want to punish the sane, competent, centrist Republicans who haven't sucked Trump's ass? We're always going to have Republicans. Best thing for all concerned is to let the ones like Holcomb survive while excising the crazies.
A reasoned, rational point of view.

I believe politicians like Holcomb need to abandon that party en masse and the only way that happens if it becomes a chain around their re-election necks. It's not an intent to punish them. Rather, it's an encouragement to them to do the right thing abandon their joke of a party.

I have ~400 facebook friends from all over the world. The ONLY ones who rail over and over about facemasks, my rights, blah blah blah are the people from Indiana. 100% of the whiners.

Yes I have neighbors who act like those funny West Palm Beachers at the county commisioners meeting that is constantly replayed (let it breathe, the amazing respiratory system that the Lord gave us, etc.) but man, the bullheaded stupidity among all but a few Hoosiers I know is off the charts

It appears now that several state Senators, including Mark Messmer from my district are challenging, with the support of the state AG, the governor’s ability to make this mandate punishable, which means the idiots who still think they shouldn’t have to wear one will not. Looks like it will be up to businesses to turn them away to keep them away from people that wish to abide by the mandate...

It appears now that several state Senators, including Mark Messmer from my district are challenging, with the support of the state AG, the governor’s ability to make this mandate punishable, which means the idiots who still think they shouldn’t have to wear one will not. Looks like it will be up to businesses to turn them away to keep them away from people that wish to abide by the mandate...
Ya I saw that. One step forward, two steps back. Man we are screwing ourselves.

It’s unfortunate so many are unwilling to do something so simple. There are really only two reasons someone would not wear a mask. Stupid or careless...
They don't give damn about others. I told my wife that I'm gonna get me a shirt that says "I have the virus, if you want to get it come close" :)

It looks like Hamilton County's Sheriff has said his people aren't going to enforce it. Send in the state police to arrest them if they are seen without a mask.

It looks like Hamilton County's Sheriff has said his people aren't going to enforce it. Send in the state police to arrest them if they are seen without a mask.

aren’t you some type of lawyer?

you like the idea of the governor being able to mandate certain policies which are arrestable or otherwise punishable if not followed, circumventing state legislature?

Also, people should wear masks. If they want to punish people for not wearing one, pass a damn law

aren’t you some type of lawyer?

you like the idea of the governor being able to mandate certain policies which are arrestable or otherwise punishable if not followed, circumventing state legislature?

Also, people should wear masks. If they want to punish people for not wearing one, pass a damn law

They did, they passed a law giving the governor emergency powers. So the legislature can meet and declare this is not an emergency, otherwise the governor can declare an emergency for 30 days but renew it as often as the governor likes. https://banksbrower.com/2020/04/14/...overnor-have-to-issue-the-stay-at-home-order/

Wow, you know how to insult someone, saying I am a lawyer. That hurts.

Reactions: glmiu11
Oh, and I am kidding about sending in the state police to arrest the sheriff, it should the national guard :).

I hope you're not serious.
Of course I was joking. The problem with the internet, no matter how outlandish one goes and assumes everyone will know it has to be a joke, there is someone out there that really believes it so no one can tell if it is a joke.

What I will compare it to is Portland. In the Portland thread I said I didn't have enough information to make a decision. IF the Portland authorities were investigating the crimes but were waiting on tensions to cool before moving on suspects, that is one thing. If Portland had decided the law did not matter, that is something else.

In the case of Hamilton County, it appears the Sheriff has decided the law does not matter. I don't think Indiana's constitution has sheriff nullification.

So if we tie it to one of the school threads, people have said if teachers do not want to teach they ought to go to unemployment just like other people have to do. I'll suggest that for the sheriff and his deputies. If he doesn't want to enforce the law, he should go onto unemployment just like anyone else not wanting to do their job.

If not, I am sure the Air National Guard can quickly gain air superiority over the sheriff's office (THAT WAS JOKE).

Of course I was joking. The problem with the internet, no matter how outlandish one goes and assumes everyone will know it has to be a joke, there is someone out there that really believes it so no one can tell if it is a joke.

What I will compare it to is Portland. In the Portland thread I said I didn't have enough information to make a decision. IF the Portland authorities were investigating the crimes but were waiting on tensions to cool before moving on suspects, that is one thing. If Portland had decided the law did not matter, that is something else.

In the case of Hamilton County, it appears the Sheriff has decided the law does not matter. I don't think Indiana's constitution has sheriff nullification.

So if we tie it to one of the school threads, people have said if teachers do not want to teach they ought to go to unemployment just like other people have to do. I'll suggest that for the sheriff and his deputies. If he doesn't want to enforce the law, he should go onto unemployment just like anyone else not wanting to do their job.

If not, I am sure the Air National Guard can quickly gain air superiority over the sheriff's office (THAT WAS JOKE).
Do you want folks arrested for not wearing a mask?

Do you suppose a teacher can collect unemployment if they leave their job?

Do you want folks arrested for not wearing a mask?

Nope, my arrest comment meant to say we should arrest the sheriff and deputies. As a joke.

There is a fine for not wearing a mask. We fine people for seatbelt violations and I bet that sheriff does exactly that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT