ADVERTISEMENT

Holcomb mandates masks in Indiana

tell her to stay home then, it’s the gym. Or go early in the morning or late at night
She's 67 years old with a one year old knee replacement and another one scheduled to be done this fall. She's worked her ass off to keep her new knee in shape and strengthen her bad knee as best she can ahead of the surgery. It's too bad she can't do that without being endangered by the assholes. While the exemption for people exercising is idiotic and bassackwards, she's not asking people to do anything more than keep their distance according to the established protocol. But no, you suggest instead that she be the one to change up how she's dealing with the current circumstances. Something is wrong with this picture.

She's 67 years old with a one year old knee replacement and another one scheduled to be done this fall. She's worked her ass off to keep her new knee in shape and strengthen her bad knee as best she can ahead of the surgery. It's too bad she can't do that without being endangered by the assholes. While the exemption for people exercising is idiotic and bassackwards, she's not asking people to do anything more than keep their distance according to the established protocol. But no, you suggest instead that she be the one to change up how she's dealing with the current circumstances. Something is wrong with this picture.

Yes, she needs to change how she’s dealing with things.

It’s the gym, not the supermarket. Good for her for all hard work in the gym, I respect that. But the gym can be an inherently crowded place with the potential for several people all seeking to use one item at the same time where you really can’t wear a mask as it restricts oxygen flow.

I go at 6 am everyday for this very reason, I have changed my schedule in order to go at a time when it will be less crowded and nearly empty.

It’s like you’re going out to eat at McDonald’s and then complaining there are no healthy options. What’s you expect?

There are plenty of ways to exercise outdoors. Willful ignorance is the appropriate term for your stance.

The races at Indy a couple weeks ago had track temps of 120 degrees. The pit crews wore masks. I don't think masks are that bad but people do need to get used to them. I get that.

If you don’t like it, don’t go.
I saw a meme listing 3 reasons for wearing a mask in public. They were Humility(I don’t know if I have it, & we know it can be spread without symptoms). Kindness(while I may be fine, I don’t know if those around me have a child with cancer, or care for their elderly mom.). Community(I want my local businesses to stay open & thrive & their employees to stay healthy. Keeping a lid on COVID helps us all). In the least surprising development in some time, you fail in the application of any of these qualities...

Reactions: Digressions
I saw a meme listing 3 reasons for wearing a mask in public. They were Humility(I don’t know if I have it, & we know it can be spread without symptoms). Kindness(while I may be fine, I don’t know if those around me have a child with cancer, or care for their elderly mom.). Community(I want my local businesses to stay open & thrive & their employees to stay healthy. Keeping a lid on COVID helps us all). In the least surprising development in some time, you fail in the application of any of these qualities...

I wear a mask everywhere I go, except the gym. Sowwwy I will never wear it there nor do I expect others too

Perfectly logical that it wouldn’t apply at the gym...

it’s a high risk activity that I deem to be worth the risk along with other adults who have made that same choice

If I just went to the gym and sat on the couch in the waiting room, I’d wear a mask

it’s a high risk activity that I deem to be worth the risk along with other adults who have made that same choice

If I just went to the gym and sat on the couch in the waiting room, I’d wear a mask
To be clear, her beef isn't about masks. It's with unmasked people who don't stay the fvck away from her.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I've previously agreed with some others that the GOP is so corrupt that it's the duty of all Americans to vote straight Democrat as punishment. Which, believe it or not, would be a rarity for me, as I usually vote for at least a couple of Republicans.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering making an exception for Holcomb this year. I don't think he needs my vote, to be honest. I think he'll win running away. But he's probably going to get my vote, anyway. I've been very happy with his tenure so far, and I think he's done an especially solid job with the coronavirus (even if I do wish he'd be a bit quicker and more decisive with his actions, instead of taking too many of them at the last minute, and only committing to them for two weeks at a time).

I've previously agreed with some others that the GOP is so corrupt that it's the duty of all Americans to vote straight Democrat as punishment. Which, believe it or not, would be a rarity for me, as I usually vote for at least a couple of Republicans.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering making an exception for Holcomb this year. I don't think he needs my vote, to be honest. I think he'll win running away. But he's probably going to get my vote, anyway. I've been very happy with his tenure so far, and I think he's done an especially solid job with the coronavirus (even if I do wish he'd be a bit quicker and more decisive with his actions, instead of taking too many of them at the last minute, and only committing to them for two weeks at a time).
I think I agree

Agreed. I've been impressed with how Holcomb has handled the virus. He has taken it seriously the whole time and has not played any of the dumb games that some of the other GOP governors have played. It would have been easy for him to play the politics of Pence and Trump, given his connection to Pence. Holcomb likely has my vote.

ETA: it is refreshing to see a conservative that listens to experts and has a cohesive strategy. We desperately need Republicans like Holcomb to reclaim their party.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker

This would have to be an epic landslide year for Holcomb to be in trouble. So it really does not matter what I do. But largely his COVID response has been better than most. I wish we had waited on the federal gating criteria to open, I think the mask mandate could have come a week or so sooner, but that's pretty close.

Part of me wants to vote Holcomb just to reward a reasoned Republican. But that is akin to a participationt trophy and that will just anger Republicans. So we will see.

I do not know if I have heard from Myers at all. So his campaign must be really low key. My vote is TBD.

Reactions: MrBing
Agreed. I've been impressed with how Holcomb has handled the virus. He has taken it seriously the whole time and has not played any of the dumb games that some of the other GOP governors have played. It would have been easy for him to play the politics of Pence and Trump, given his connection to Pence. Holcomb likely has my vote.

ETA: it is refreshing to see a conservative that listens to experts and has a cohesive strategy. We desperately need Republicans like Holcomb to reclaim their party.

While he was Pence's Lt. Governor, I would put him more in the Mitch Daniels camp of the GOP than the Pence/Trump camp. Which makes sense, given he was part of Daniels administration.

Reactions: Neves
I’ve been impressed with Holcomb too. I vowed not to vote for any GOP until Trump is out of office, but I have very few complaints with Holcomb . He’s done a good job walking the tightrope of trying to keep us safe and not making people really angry.

Reactions: glmiu11
To be clear, her beef isn't about masks. It's with unmasked people who don't stay the fvck away from her.

And she is 100% right.

But If she cannot change how people move around her and they will continue to make poor choices...I suppose i would go at a different time to reduce the risk and frustration. Covidiots gonna Covidiot.

Reactions: TommyCracker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT