ADVERTISEMENT

Hitch in shot

go_iu

All-Big Ten
Feb 22, 2004
Is it just me or does this generation of players seem to have a hitch in their jump shooting. Not our players necessarily, I'm seeing it everywhere. It's very weird, but it seems like this is a trend that has developed in them as players get more athletic, but their release and shot gets slower

Is it just me or does this generation of players seem to have a hitch in their jump shooting. Not our players necessarily, I'm seeing it everywhere. It's very weird, but it seems like this is a trend that has developed in them as players get more athletic, but their release and shot gets slower
Leal looks pretty pure. That’s all I am gonna say

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Galloway has the hitch you’re talking about. Nojel had it for Purdue. Extremely hard to fix at this stage of a players career

Galloway has the hitch you’re talking about. Nojel had it for Purdue. Extremely hard to fix at this stage of a players career
Galloway already has more career 3 pt than Nojel, so at least he isn’t that bad. That kid was terrible.

I have a theory and its just that, a theory, but with the three point line being as prevalent as it is today, more and more kids are taking a high volume of three pointers at such an early age that aren't strong enough to get it to the rim from that distance that it causes some really poor mechanics. It's been awhile since I've gotten to see my grandson play, but went to one of his games last year (he was 9) and there were more 3 point attempts than layup attempts from both teams with just awful shooting mechanics.

A good coach will correct this as a player gets older and most players will naturally correct their shooting form as they get physically stronger, but bad habits are tough to break if they aren't corrected sooner than later.

Shooting forms should be corrected in high school, not college! My shot form wasnt very good back then until I spent all offseason changing it, which made me almost automatic from 3 range!l and greatly improved my ft shooting! The Rivers kid who played here(Docs son) had a horrible hitch in his shot! Unless your a big man, you cant usually get away with having a hitch in your form.

Reactions: 76-1
Galloway will get straightened out. He’s a hard worker and his Dad is a coach. They’ll get him lined out by his Jr season.

the poor shooters do

Who knows how to answer the original question.

What generation is Trae Young? His 3 pt .pct would probably better but he probably takes a lot of poor shots based on having to jack some poor shots due to shot clock.

or Saddiq Bey who is already hitting 44% at the NBa level.

Not a fan of the shot clock at any level but the NBA. A lot of forced low % 3s due to shot clock running down. Ugly basketball, non fundamental, develops bad habits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and Crayfish57
Todays players are basically all taught to shoot the same way. Some of the greatest shooters in the past had different shooting forms or motions but if it was consistent they were still good high % shooters. Too much sameness today. As if it is more important to look good than play good. Jamaal Wilkes, George McGinnis, Oscar Robertson, Bob McAdoo, Rick Barry, Dave DeBuscherre, Dick Barnett, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Rick Mount, Robert Parrish, Kevin McHale all had different jumps shots, not clones of each other.

Todays players are basically all taught to shoot the same way. Some of the greatest shooters in the past had different shooting forms or motions but if it was consistent they were still good high % shooters. Too much sameness today. As if it is more important to look good than play good. Jamaal Wilkes, George McGinnis, Oscar Robertson, Bob McAdoo, Rick Barry, Dave DeBuscherre, Dick Barnett, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Rick Mount, Robert Parrish, Kevin McHale all had different jumps shots, not clones of each other.
Can anyone shoot like Larry Bird did?

Reactions: CriticArisen
Who knows how to answer the original question.

What generation is Trae Young? His 3 pt .pct would probably better but he probably takes a lot of poor shots based on having to jack some poor shots due to shot clock.

or Saddiq Bey who is already hitting 44% at the NBa level.

Not talking about shot selection, talking about shot mechanics. When I was young, I had a very tough love boys club coach that insisted we shoot right even though most didn't ... ie, over the head and not push shots that would get blocked even though many of us could hit it from anywhere doing that. I had to adapt big time if I wanted to play. I know they're already D1, but it's not too late to try to learn, and certainly if they have pro aspirations, they need to learn to shoot right.

Trae Young has not many shooting problems, but I do have big issues with the offensive foul push off he does on nearly every drive ... it is mind-blowing why that push off is not called every time. He did it in college and still doing it. I guess if your allowed to do that then every shot is open. I don't care much for his game.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I have a theory and its just that, a theory, but with the three point line being as prevalent as it is today, more and more kids are taking a high volume of three pointers at such an early age that aren't strong enough to get it to the rim from that distance that it causes some really poor mechanics. It's been awhile since I've gotten to see my grandson play, but went to one of his games last year (he was 9) and there were more 3 point attempts than layup attempts from both teams with just awful shooting mechanics.

A good coach will correct this as a player gets older and most players will naturally correct their shooting form as they get physically stronger, but bad habits are tough to break if they aren't corrected sooner than later.
This could be incredibly insightful

Fundamentals such as shooting and passing have not been widely taught to young kids for quite some time.

Eurotravel? Now that is something kids like to work on.

• Haha
Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Not talking about shot selection, talking about shot mechanics. When I was young, I had a very tough love boys club coach that insisted we shoot right even though most didn't ... ie, over the head and not push shots that would get blocked even though many of us could hit it from anywhere doing that. I had to adapt big time if I wanted to play. I know they're already D1, but it's not too late to try to learn, and certainly if they have pro aspirations, they need to learn to shoot right.

Trae Young has not many shooting problems, but I do have big issues with the offensive foul push off he does on nearly every drive ... it is mind-blowing why that push off is not called every time. He did it in college and still doing it. I guess if your allowed to do that then every shot is open. I don't care much for his game.
I hate the push off too. I can only imagine what you think of Harden who seems to have patented the push off.

I just put up Young and Bey because I am not sure they meet your criteria of having had a hitch in their shot. Maybe I should find some video from their early college gmes.

ADVERTISEMENT