ADVERTISEMENT

History made today: Covid Lewis wins his 7th World Championship!

I think the issue is boredom with him especially as they are starting to expand the racing calendar with more races around the world now.

I might be wrong, but I thought I recall reading that part of his negotiations with Mercedes involved allowing him to "work remotely" more in the coming year(s). Now that might seem odd for a driver but what I assume he means is the number of non-driving obligations that he required to attend in person. So yeah, I can see where Hamilton might just get weary of the grind. As you said a few posts up, he seems like a guy with interests beyond driving.

Reactions: sglowrider
I might be wrong, but I thought I recall reading that part of his negotiations with Mercedes involved allowing him to "work remotely" more in the coming year(s). Now that might seem odd for a driver but what I assume he means is the number of non-driving obligations that he required to attend in person. So yeah, I can see where Hamilton might just get weary of the grind. As you said a few posts up, he seems like a guy with interests beyond driving.

Liberty Media needs to prepare for a Post-Lewis era too. So all the pieces of a more competitive era may be developing with new faces, budgetary limits, simplification of the car's design.

Its a shame the V10 engine will never make its way back. (They are talking of some sustainable fuel that might use in the future.)

It's starting to be reported that Toto has agreed to remain as Merc Team Principal for 3 more years, just as Hamilton's contract is being finalized. I'm guessing that means Hamilton's contract will be for...three years? Ten time WDC?

It's starting to be reported that Toto has agreed to remain as Merc Team Principal for 3 more years, just as Hamilton's contract is being finalized. I'm guessing that means Hamilton's contract will be for...three years? Ten time WDC?

I doubt if he gets 10. Budget restrictions, more competiting up & coming young guns and multiple teams on the upswing. But it would be interesting if he makes it.
But regardless, I doubt if we will see anyone break Lewis' record in our life time.

I doubt if he gets 10. Budget restrictions, more competiting up & coming young guns and multiple teams on the upswing. But it would be interesting if he makes it.
But regardless, I doubt if we will see anyone break Lewis' record in our life time.

I'm already 59, so I know I won't. 😏

It will be interesting to see if his major competition comes from within. I think Toto staying on for three years guarantees that Russell will be in a Mercedes seat in 2022. Now that would be interesting. Hamilton would be 37 by then. Even the best start to lose their edge. Could Russell overtake Hamilton at Mercedes?

If Red Bull can make marginal gains next year, they can be a pain for Hamilton. Verstappen has been racing the Mercs with 1 hand tied behind his back for 2 years now.

It will be interesting to see if his major competition comes from within. I think Toto staying on for three years guarantees that Russell will be in a Mercedes seat in 2022. Now that would be interesting. Hamilton would be 37 by then. Even the best start to lose their edge. Could Russell overtake Hamilton at Mercedes?
Russell is Toto's boy so I gotta believe that Hamilton signing the contract would include an understanding they won't hold Russell back to play rear gunner for Lewis. Which could make for some awesome racing. I think the 2022 regs will bring some level parity (not a ton, this is F1 after all) which should give Verstappen, LeClerc (or Sainz?) a real shot at being competitive with the Mercs.

If Red Bull can make marginal gains next year, they can be a pain for Hamilton. Verstappen has been racing the Mercs with 1 hand tied behind his back for 2 years now.
The Red Bull is most certainly built for Verstappen. Likely, it's why Gasly and Albon struggled. It's a wild beast of a car, and it has to be to stay any kind of threat to the Mercs. My question would be - with Perez coming over and with his pedigree, will they align the setups with Perez's forte as a driver (technician, tire manager) - at least on his car? I don't think they've really cared to (or had the resources to) do that for Gasly/Albon.

Hey Hank, News Flash! 60 is the new 30!! How many of the guys here are nearer to 60 than their 30s -- and yet they ogle at semi-naked women like they are in the early teens? 😬
A healthy sign if there ever was one!

Now that Ineos has bought a chunk of Mercedes' and Toto's shares in the company, I think one of their pre-requisite for their investment is for Toto to stay to see a smooth transition/succession plan. Thus suddenly its three years now rather than the initial 12 months he was mentioning before.

Besides a smooth management succession plan (of easing out Toto) I am sure part of the remit for Toto by Sir Radcliffe (Ineos owner) is to have a smooth transmission plan for their #1 driver from Lewis to Russell.

Mercedes has just to do some minor tweaking to ensure its superiority. But you can see the things already in the works for a few other teams.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Last edited:
He can go all nationalistic/jingoistic and help train a fellow brit to be the next world champ?
Does he want that kind of challenge? Bottas is certainly no threat. It looks like Mercedes is going to stay in F1 so they may want to put Russell into that seat sooner rather than later. Russell is in a weird spot. He’s only got one year left on his current deal. Next year you’d think Mercedes would want to move Russell into the factory team with the new formula. But what if Hamilton vetos? Russell might then spend a year as a reserve driver because signing a one year deal would be stupid.

Hard to say if those rumors (the veto) are accurate or not. Lots of rumors to go around. Let's assume they are, how long does Mercedes play that game? Lewis isn't getting any younger. Do they go through the same thing in two years? I can't see that working out. If Lewis was really wanting to keep Russell out of the teammate seat (another big assumption) then eventually Mercedes loses Russell to another team. Do they really want to do that for an aging Hamilton.

Hard to say if those rumors (the veto) are accurate or not. Lots of rumors to go around. Let's assume they are, how long does Mercedes play that game? Lewis isn't getting any younger. Do they go through the same thing in two years? I can't see that working out. If Lewis was really wanting to keep Russell out of the teammate seat (another big assumption) then eventually Mercedes loses Russell to another team. Do they really want to do that for an aging Hamilton.

yeah it’s weird. Mercedes have clearly signaled they’re staying in F1 for a while at least through the next formula. I think honestly that Hamilton might retire at the end of this contract and ride off into the sunset. I don’t think he wants to follow Schumacher's path with an inferior team. If that’s the case and Russell/Mercedes know that Russell becomes the man in two years I suspect that’s the route they go regardless of the veto situation. I don’t think Mercedes likes the driver having this kind of power but Hamilton is a once in a generation talent so what do you do.

The team is co-owned by Toto. maybe they can offer Lewis some stock in it? He can be the face of both the team but also Mercedes and Ineos to push his green passion. There has to be some corporate triangulation there for both the car manufacturer and the chemical giant.

Reactions: larsIU
So...a one year deal? Sounds like they couldn't come to terms and had to get something on paper for 2021. I guess we get to watch the drama for yet another season. It also seems as if maybe Merc is pushing back at Hamilton a little more than one might have thought. But what do I know.

So...a one year deal? Sounds like they couldn't come to terms and had to get something on paper for 2021. I guess we get to watch the drama for yet another season. It also seems as if maybe Merc is pushing back at Hamilton a little more than one might have thought. But what do I know.

F1 world champion signs new Mercedes contract for 2021 season

Why only a year?
The duration of the contract is said to have been a mutual request that reflects a desire from both sides to have the flexibility of a one-year deal.

It is also a measure of the lateness of the agreement - it is highly unusual for a contract be agreed so close to the start of the season, especially with a driver of the importance of Hamilton - as well as the uncertainty facing all F1 teams heading into 2021.

This season is the first under a budget cap, initially set at $145m (£114m), but being reduced by $5m a year over the following two seasons, and in 2022 the sport introduces a major change of technical regulations aimed at closing up the field and making the racing closer.

Teams are also in the midst of other major negotiations with wide consequences, such as the possible introduction of an engine-performance freeze from 2022, and a driver salary cap is also potentially on the horizon.

Mercedes, however, emphasise that the decision to set up together with Hamilton a foundation on inclusivity and diversity reflects their shared vision and that the relationship extends beyond a simple contract to drive racing cars.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am pretty sure the 1-year contract/extension isn't the last we see of the association. At this point in Lewis' career its all about legacy. So I doubt if that relationship will be broken anytime soon. Its the best-managed team, and with a decent budget and infrastructure.

Besides, where else can an ultra-competitive guy like Lewis go? Ferrari is a dysfunctional team. Red Bull? Mclaren?
He doesn't have many choices.

Plus I bet he has seen what 'retirement' did to Alonso. Some wandering fighter trying al sorts of thrills for excitement for the past few years only to come back.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
F1 world champion signs new Mercedes contract for 2021 season

Why only a year?
The duration of the contract is said to have been a mutual request that reflects a desire from both sides to have the flexibility of a one-year deal.

It is also a measure of the lateness of the agreement - it is highly unusual for a contract be agreed so close to the start of the season, especially with a driver of the importance of Hamilton - as well as the uncertainty facing all F1 teams heading into 2021.

This season is the first under a budget cap, initially set at $145m (£114m), but being reduced by $5m a year over the following two seasons, and in 2022 the sport introduces a major change of technical regulations aimed at closing up the field and making the racing closer.

Teams are also in the midst of other major negotiations with wide consequences, such as the possible introduction of an engine-performance freeze from 2022, and a driver salary cap is also potentially on the horizon.

Mercedes, however, emphasise that the decision to set up together with Hamilton a foundation on inclusivity and diversity reflects their shared vision and that the relationship extends beyond a simple contract to drive racing cars.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am pretty sure the 1-year contract/extension isn't the last we see of the association. At this point in Lewis' career its all about legacy. So I doubt if that relationship will be broken anytime soon. Its the best-managed team, and with a decent budget and infrastructure.

Besides, where else can an ultra-competitive guy like Lewis go? Ferrari is a dysfunctional team. Red Bull? Mclaren?
He doesn't have many choices.

Plus I bet he has seen what 'retirement' did to Alonso. Some wandering fighter trying al sorts of thrills for excitement for the past few years only to come back.

Regardless of the spin about how the one year deal is great for everyone, I'm not buying that anyone is all that happy about it. I think it represents an inability to come to a long term deal. And that suggests to me that Hamilton wants more from Mercedes than Mercedes is willing to offer. Whether that's the aforementioned teammate veto or something else, who knows?

I agree that Hamilton doesn't want to go anywhere. As you point out, where would that be? But there's clearly a game of chicken being played out between Hamilton and Merc here. I'm not sure Hamilton wins in the end. Lewis will be 37 when the 2022 season starts and there are other drivers. There are always other drivers. There is no other Mercedes.

Regardless of the spin about how the one year deal is great for everyone, I'm not buying that anyone is all that happy about it. I think it represents an inability to come to a long term deal. And that suggests to me that Hamilton wants more from Mercedes than Mercedes is willing to offer. Whether that's the aforementioned teammate veto or something else, who knows?

I agree that Hamilton doesn't want to go anywhere. As you point out, where would that be? But there's clearly a game of chicken being played out between Hamilton and Merc here. I'm not sure Hamilton wins in the end. Lewis will be 37 when the 2022 season starts and there are other drivers. There are always other drivers. There is no other Mercedes.
Any chance Lewis is concerned about Mercedes' ability to dominate the new formula in 2022? You have to figure they were working on it last year even after being made aware that it was pushed to 2022 from 2021. As great as Lewis is, and he's top 3 all time, that car is even more dominant than the Ferrari of Schumacher or even the McLaren's in the late 80's early 90's (as far as longevity is concerned).

Lewis winning in a Mercedes does nothing for his legacy. It's expected at this point. There's no more upside at Mercedes. The most fun move would be for him to end up at Ferrari. He wins there, he's probably the greatest of all time hands down. I do think he wants to establish some kind of ongoing driver development program which focuses on kids who are unable to enter the karting scene or F4/F3 scene b/c of a lack of money (with an emphasis on minorities). I suspect whoever offers the best deal there might get him in a seat for 2022. To be fair, it's probably Mercedes. They're not stupid. They're just German.

Any chance Lewis is concerned about Mercedes' ability to dominate the new formula in 2022? You have to figure they were working on it last year even after being made aware that it was pushed to 2022 from 2021. As great as Lewis is, and he's top 3 all time, that car is even more dominant than the Ferrari of Schumacher or even the McLaren's in the late 80's early 90's (as far as longevity is concerned).

Lewis winning in a Mercedes does nothing for his legacy. It's expected at this point. There's no more upside at Mercedes. The most fun move would be for him to end up at Ferrari. He wins there, he's probably the greatest of all time hands down. I do think he wants to establish some kind of ongoing driver development program which focuses on kids who are unable to enter the karting scene or F4/F3 scene b/c of a lack of money (with an emphasis on minorities). I suspect whoever offers the best deal there might get him in a seat for 2022. To be fair, it's probably Mercedes. They're not stupid. They're just German.

Sure. I suppose there could be something to Hamilton wanting to see more about Mercedes' 2022+ program, but honestly I'm finding it tough to see anyone overtaking Merc.

I don't see Hamilton going anywhere else. Certainly not Ferrari. He's already said he won't drive there, as they haven't shown sufficient efforts towards inclusivity. And Ferrari is Ferrari...they almost assuredly see themselves as bigger than Hamilton, regardless of the current situation. They won't jump through Lewis' hoops.

Mercedes has shown a willingness to let Lewis be Lewis and all the things that requires. He's not going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT