ADVERTISEMENT

History: Knight scarred Frieder

Boilerpointe81

Benchwarmer
Nov 27, 2017
Saw this in the Detroit News this morning and thought you all might like a trip down memory lane.

LINKY

While Knight did not get a technical it reminds me that technicals used to be a method coaches' used to move the refs and their teams. I kinda miss it.

Reactions: CriticArisen
This article fails to explain how Knight supported Frieder in that earlier interview. Frieder had been coming under alot of fire from the media. Knight saw the call for a T as a huge betrayal since he had just done him a favor.

Saw this in the Detroit News this morning and thought you all might like a trip down memory lane.

LINKY

While Knight did not get a technical it reminds me that technicals used to be a method coaches' used to move the refs and their teams. I kinda miss it.
Knight went berserk during that game. It was so loud in Crisler that you could barely hear anyone, anywhere, but Knight’s screaming was still audible across the floor. Several UM players were stunned in place, while a couple of others were holding back laughs. Frieder was a worm, Knight often a psycho.

This article fails to explain how Knight supported Frieder in that earlier interview. Frieder had been coming under alot of fire from the media. Knight saw the call for a T as a huge betrayal since he had just done him a favor.
I'm seriously not being a dick, I have an honest question. In today's spell check / autocorrect world, how can you type "alot" without it getting underlined for not being a word, or autocorrected to "a lot," which is the correct term? Even typing this post was a problem as my computer tried to autocorrect "alot" to "a lot." I had to force it. It's not just you by the way, A LOT of people make this mistake and I'm just wondering how they ignore the spell check and/or autocorrect and type it anyway.

"Just before the 1989 NCAA Tournament, Frieder announced that he would leave Michigan for Arizona State at the end of the season. Michigan athletic director Bo Schembechler ordered Frieder to leave immediately, and named top assistant Steve Fisher as the interim coach for the tournament. Schembechler famously announced, "A Michigan man will coach Michigan, not an Arizona State man." The Wolverines went on to win the tournament and Fisher was officially given the head coaching job. Frieder resigned from Arizona State in 1997 following a point-shaving scandal which affected the program in 1994." - Wikipedia

Frieder was a moron and shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Bob Knight. Frieder never made it past the Sweet 16. He got himself fired from a championship contender because he decided to leave UM for Arizona St.: that is irrational.

I'm seriously not being a dick, I have an honest question. In today's spell check / autocorrect world, how can you type "alot" without it getting underlined for not being a word, or autocorrected to "a lot," which is the correct term? Even typing this post was a problem as my computer tried to autocorrect "alot" to "a lot." I had to force it. It's not just you by the way, A LOT of people make this mistake and I'm just wondering how they ignore the spell check and/or autocorrect and type it anyway.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Ok. If you are not being a dick than you are an idiot with too much time on his hands. ""I used "than" rather than "then" to REALLY jerk your chain.""

Ok. If you are not being a dick than you are an idiot with too much time on his hands. ""I used "than" rather than "then" to REALLY jerk your chain.""
Seriously, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I'm just curious how you got it past the spell checker and autocorrect. I guess you're not going to tell me.

Reactions: MrBing

Aloha's next post of substance, will be his first out of over 27,000.

not exactly a record to be proud of.

work on your priorities dude.

OCD + anal is no way to go through life.

Reactions: birdforbogey
After reading that "article", is it any wonder that newspapers have trouble selling copy...

Interesting how an occasional SI contributor at the time could leave out the crux of Knight's ire, beside the "give him a T" comment.

Davehack cited it above, yet this "journalist" leaves out the part where Frieder asked RMK to do the Ann Arbor news interview so the writer would get off Frieder's back once good, positive things were said of him by Knight.

Knight had plenty of issues, but I would likely be pissed too on this one. Frieder? Good Recruiter. That's about it.

Seriously, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I'm just curious how you got it past the spell checker and autocorrect. I guess you're not going to tell me.

I have to say I'm guilty of typing alot instead of a lot... Honestly, I had used alot for so many years, I didn't even realize it wasn't a word until spellcheck came along... a long??? Anyway, I think you can turn spellcheck off in preferences maybe, because when I slip up and still type alot, it doesn't correct it for me, or highlight it. I think I turned it off for expediency, since sometimes I'm posting from my phone. I figured the folks here were either smart enough to understand what I was trying to type, or too stupid to recognize it was a misspelling. May be your in that gray area in between!

Interesting how an occasional SI contributor at the time could leave out the crux of Knight's ire, beside the "give him a T" comment.

Davehack cited it above, yet this "journalist" leaves out the part where Frieder asked RMK to do the Ann Arbor news interview so the writer would get off Frieder's back once good, positive things were said of him by Knight.

Knight had plenty of issues, but I would likely be pissed too on this one. Frieder? Good Recruiter. That's about it.
Knight was abused by the media in that same type way throughout the better part of his career. I read through that slanted bullshit of theirs time and time again. Once the media decides to go after a guy to see the mighty fall, they never let up. It's no wonder there are so many disillusioned "negative Nancy's" today.

Knight was abused by the media in that same type way throughout the better part of his career. I read through that slanted bullshit of theirs time and time again. Once the media decides to go after a guy to see the mighty fall, they never let up. It's no wonder there are so many disillusioned "negative Nancy's" today.
There were always people willing to blame Knight’s behavior on someone else. The media was often a target so that excuses could be made for him.

It's funny how you give RMK the benefit of the doubt to rightly shun Frieder after he perceived a wrongdoing by him, and yet you don't give sportswriters the same leniency, when Knight berated them as a group nearly every press conference. What goes around comes around and RMK is not exempted. He has no room to complain about his treatment by the press.

There were always people willing to blame Knight’s behavior on someone else. The media was often a target so that excuses could be made for him.
Whatever you say, Chief. Some vote Hillary and some vote Trump. Bob Hammel was analogous to Hannity with Fox News today with the majority of sports journalists aligned with news outlets painting a decidedly negative spin him, as CNN, et.al.

Whatever you say, Chief. Some vote Hillary and some vote Trump. Bob Hammel was analogous to Hannity with Fox News today with the majority of sports journalists aligned with news outlets painting a decidedly negative spin him, as CNN, et.al.
Why do you think news outlets painted a decidedly negative spin on him?

It's funny how you give RMK the benefit of the doubt to rightly shun Frieder after he perceived a wrongdoing by him, and yet you don't give sportswriters the same leniency, when Knight berated them as a group nearly every press conference. What goes around comes around and RMK is not exempted. He has no room to complain about his treatment by the press.
I'm just saying that if sports writers felt an action of Knight's didn't fit their agenda, that Knight is a big ogre who should be brought down to his knees, they didn't include it in their report. In other words, their take of the incident was slanted against him. I never said it was or wasn't deserved, I just said it happened, as it happens, yet today, with politics. It's human nature to want to see the mighty fail, hence the abuse we see today against the top "one percent" (or is it the top 2% now and lucky for those between 2% and 3%, if so) in wealth, like they're supposed to be shunned now instead of praised. It makes us feel better about ourselves when those perceived as superior to us, fail. A lot of sportswriters today have a chip on their shoulders. They think they're underpaid, printed copy is going the way of the dinosaurs, and they're constantly being judged by their work with criticism. It's not an easy life, but then, whose life is? (as I sit here sipping my Oat Milk Honey Latte with Starbucks Blonde espresso)

Why do you think news outlets painted a decidedly negative spin on him?
Some of the sportswriters took personal offense to a comment he made in jest, early in his career at IU, "Everyone learns to read and write in second grade, then MOST of us move on to other things". (journalist don't). Like Tiger Woods said about the Fuzzy Zoeller comment made to some of his golfing buddies during a practice round, not knowing a journalist was within earshot... "Whatever it is 'they' like to eat". Tiger's comeback was, "I can forgive, but I can't forget". In other words, he can't totally forgive, otherwise, he would forget about it.

There is no excuse for a sportswriter to be subjective if they are of any salt. It is no different than if a zoo keeper abused an animal in their care for growling at them.

Some of the sportswriters took personal offense to a comment he made in jest, early in his career at IU, "Everyone learns to read and write in second grade, then MOST of us move on to other things". (journalist don't). Like Tiger Woods said about the Fuzzy Zoeller comment made to some of his golfing buddies during a practice round, not knowing a journalist was within earshot... "Whatever it is 'they' like to eat". Tiger's comeback was, "I can forgive, but I can't forget". In other words, he can't totally forgive, otherwise, he would forget about it.
So, sportswriters wrote about Knight based on their hurt feelings, rather than his actions? Interesting

As for Fuzzy Zoeller, you don’t know the facts. His comments about Woods were voiced in a televised interview, not in a practice round with his buddies that were overheard by a reporter. Sounds like familiar and inaccurate excuse making, doesn’t it?

I'm just saying that if sports writers felt an action of Knight's didn't fit their agenda, that Knight is a big ogre who should be brought down to his knees, they didn't include it in their report. In other words, their take of the incident was slanted against him. I never said it was or wasn't deserved, I just said it happened, as it happens, yet today, with politics. It's human nature to want to see the mighty fail, hence the abuse we see today against the top "one percent" (or is it the top 2% now and lucky for those between 2% and 3%, if so) in wealth, like they're supposed to be shunned now instead of praised. It makes us feel better about ourselves when those perceived as superior to us, fail. A lot of sportswriters today have a chip on their shoulders. They think they're underpaid, printed copy is going the way of the dinosaurs, and they're constantly being judged by their work with criticism. It's not an easy life, but then, whose life is? (as I sit here sipping my Oat Milk Honey Latte with Starbucks Blonde espresso)

... and it also will happen if you open every press conference, with "which one of you no good mfers has a reasonably intelligent question for me"... Yeah, he played it off as a joke, but when you do it every time, and then sharpen the attack when you get a question you don't like, from someone just trying to do their job, well yeah, you're going to get unfair coverage from that person and others present. I disagree about your characterization too, and I think the variety of media outlets (blogs, live streaming, etc...) has made sportswriters more approachable. Guess what? What I hear are mostly people who enjoy talking sports, no more, no less. They're not all blue state liberals with an ax to grind... they just want to do their job and not be belittled for doing so. As I said, I don't care, but he's got no one to blame for unfair press coverage than himself imo.

There is no excuse for a sportswriter to be subjective if they are of any salt. It is no different than if a zoo keeper abused an animal in their care for growling at them.
What kind of dumbass comparison is that? You don't think RMK had any more sense or restraint than an animal? They're people and if you treat them like crap continually, of course you're going to get unfair coverage and you deserve it. And it goes both ways, if you start getting unfair treatment, you'd understandably be less tolerant and agreeable to that persons questions.

... and it also will happen if you open every press conference, with "which one of you no good mfers has a reasonably intelligent question for me"... Yeah, he played it off as a joke, but when you do it every time, and then sharpen the attack when you get a question you don't like, from someone just trying to do their job, well yeah, you're going to get unfair coverage from that person and others present. I disagree about your characterization too, and I think the variety of media outlets (blogs, live streaming, etc...) has made sportswriters more approachable. Guess what? What I hear are mostly people who enjoy talking sports, no more, no less. They're not all blue state liberals with an ax to grind... they just want to do their job and not be belittled for doing so. As I said, I don't care, but he's got no one to blame for unfair press coverage than himself imo.
Which came first, the sport's writer's slanted reporting against him or Knight's distain for most of the media?

well, it appears you're cutting Fuzzy too much slack and apparently Tiger, not enough. Fuzzy's comment wasn't just "whatever they like to eat", he said fried chicken and collard greens. It's racist, it was a dumb mistake, so just forgive it and move on, but don't try and minimize it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...recalls-how-woods-broke-the-ice-idUSKCN0X11SY

... and it also will happen if you open every press conference, with "which one of you no good mfers has a reasonably intelligent question for me"... Yeah, he played it off as a joke, but when you do it every time, and then sharpen the attack when you get a question you don't like, from someone just trying to do their job, well yeah, you're going to get unfair coverage from that person and others present.

Your slanted-from-truth reporting is no different than that of the journalists Knight liked to complain about.

Reactions: CradleofBasketball
Which came first, the sport's writer's slanted reporting against him or Knight's distain for most of the media?
Knight’s boorish behavior came first, followed by critical media coverage, followed by Knight’s “distain”(it’s “disdain”) for their reporting of said boorish behavior. Later, rinse, repeat.

Well, I'm sure we each have different opinions on that. Was RMK ever wronged by a writer? Absolutely. Does that give him unlimited license to berate and belittle them? Nope. And he continually did that, to his own detriment.

Your slanted-from-truth reporting is no different than that of the journalists Knight liked to complain about.

So you don't think RMK was overly critical of the media frequently? Honestly, I don't know that I've watched or seen a single transcript of a press conference where he didn't take some shot at the media, but I'm sure there were some. I do believe he used it as a warning "don't ask a question I don't like, or then I'll really rip you a new one." Anyway, I'm not going to carry on about this with someone who can't recognize he brought much of the bad press on himself. I think even he would tell you that candidly. He enjoyed it.

well, it appears you're cutting Fuzzy too much slack and apparently Tiger, not enough. Fuzzy's comment wasn't just "whatever they like to eat", he said fried chicken and collard greens. It's racist, it was a dumb mistake, so just forgive it and move on, but don't try and minimize it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...recalls-how-woods-broke-the-ice-idUSKCN0X11SY
"Fried chicken has become a racial stereotype in the United States when referring to African-Americans - a reference to the days before the abolition of slavery when chicken was believed to be a staple part of the diet". Oh please, people...give it a break! Sad is the day when we can no longer laugh at ourselves...our stereotypes. If a white man goes to Africa, he'll be subject to the same type of snickering...."tenderloins, or fried mushrooms, whatever else it is those Mid-western American white boys like to eat!"

Well, I'm sure we each have different opinions on that. Was RMK ever wronged by a writer? Absolutely. Does that give him unlimited license to berate and belittle them? Nope. And he continually did that, to his own detriment.
You make it sound (slanted reporting, as a journalist often does) as if Knight berated them at every post game news conference "continually". He didn't, but chided only those who asked the occasional stupid question. Whether you were a player or a journalist reporting on his players, he expected you to know what it is you were doing. You base your beliefs on seeing one or two isolated incidents played out over and over again on Youtube.

You make it sound (slanted reporting, as a journalist often does) as if Knight berated them at every post game news conference "continually". He didn't, but chided only those who asked the occasional stupid question. Whether you were a player or a journalist reporting on his players, he expected you to know what it is you were doing. You base your beliefs on seeing one or two isolated incidents played out over and over again on Youtube.
This simply isn’t accurate, and it makes me wonder if you really saw much of Knight while at IU.

No I don't, but you keep concocting your own version of the truth. I'm 54 and I've probably watched 40 or more RMK press conferences and interviews, live or as much as they would cover, and read transcripts of many more. I used to think him acting like a jerk to people was cool too when I was 19. Some of us just never grew out of that I guess.

1 or 2 isolated incidents? Right. Now we know who didn't witness many press conferences... or won't own up to it, or just keeps making excuses. Came here for a quick break, and gonna get back to work. Have a good day.

This simply isn’t accurate, and it makes me wonder if you really saw much of Knight while at IU.
I'll say it again...Knight was hired for the start of my junior year at IU. I breathed in every word that was ever uttered by the man, I'm that big of fan. Tell us all, when was it you came on board, since you act like maybe you know him better.

Reactions: herrli
No I don't, but you keep concocting your own version of the truth. I'm 54 and I've probably watched 40 or more RMK press conferences and interviews, live or as much as they would cover, and read transcripts of many more. I used to think him acting like a jerk to people was cool too when I was 19. Some of us just never grew out of that I guess.

1 or 2 isolated incidents? Right. Now we know who didn't witness many press conferences... or won't own up to it, or just keeps making excuses. Came here for a quick break, and gonna get back to work. Have a good day.
Now that you're back from work, ready for another quick break, answer one question for me and be truthful here...no other response is necessary but for one word. In 2016, did you cast your vote for Hillary or Trump? No additional complaints about me needing to take politics to the Water Cooler or anything like that, just a one word answer here, Hillary or Trump and then I'll rest my case.

I'll say it again...Knight was hired for the start of my junior year at IU. I breathed in every word that was ever uttered by the man, I'm that big of fan. Tell us all, when was it you came on board, since you act like maybe you know him better.
If you “breathed in every word that was ever uttered by the man” but are only aware of “one or two isolated instances”, you weren’t paying attention and are factually a million miles from reality on this.

Now that you're back from work, ready for another quick break, answer one question for me and be truthful here...no other response is necessary but for one word. In 2016, did you cast your vote for Hillary or Trump? No additional complaints about me needing to take politics to the Water Cooler or anything like that, just a one word answer here, Hillary or Trump and then I'll rest my case.
GTFOH with this junk...

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT