ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring New Coaches

cmo1

Senior
Sep 3, 2001
Just wondering, does the IU Administration replace head football and basketball coaches too quickly? Should they take more time before naming a new coach?

Just wondering, does the IU Administration replace head football and basketball coaches too quickly? Should they take more time before naming a new coach?
Football...maybe, but I like Allen. Basketball, no. Archie I believe will be a great coach

Reactions: MrBing
They actually take too much time. Wilson would be here if he didn't have player problems. Crean got 9 years. It will all work out. Have faith.

Oh my sweet Lord stop. Archie has had 3 games. You can tell the upperclassmen aren’t used to his discipline. His Dayton teams would kill us.

And for football, here’s where we are:

Exact same record as the previous two years after 10 games. In position for a third consecutive bowl (11 point favorites over RU, will be favored over PU...yes I’m aware we actually have to win the games), which has happened one time here. Ever. We are in position to beat Purdue for a 5th straight year, which has never happened. Ever. We have a shot at our second winning season in 25 years. We have the best recruiting class in quite some time coming in (35th). We’re currently one slot behind Washington State, and unless you’re just oblivious to college football, they’re pretty darn good. Defense is 30th in the country (S&P+). It was 117th two years ago. Special Teams is 13th in the country. It was dreadful last year. Offense is bleh, but they had the same issues under KW last year. We need new blood on the OL. That’s not Allen’s fault. In fact, we’re almost identical in points scored (2016 - 25.77 ppg, 2017 - 25.70 ppg).

In conclusion, you need to log off.

I hope you aren't in med school, because you have a terrible bedside manner. Not everyone knows what should be and shouldn't be posted on this site, like you. You sir are an ass!!

Oh my sweet Lord stop. Archie has had 3 games. You can tell the upperclassmen aren’t used to his discipline. His Dayton teams would kill us.

And for football, here’s where we are:

Exact same record as the previous two years after 10 games. In position for a third consecutive bowl (11 point favorites over RU, will be favored over PU...yes I’m aware we actually have to win the games), which has happened one time here. Ever. We are in position to beat Purdue for a 5th straight year, which has never happened. Ever. We have a shot at our second winning season in 25 years. We have the best recruiting class in quite some time coming in (35th). We’re currently one slot behind Washington State, and unless you’re just oblivious to college football, they’re pretty darn good. Defense is 30th in the country (S&P+). It was 117th two years ago. Special Teams is 13th in the country. It was dreadful last year. Offense is bleh, but they had the same issues under KW last year. We need new blood on the OL. That’s not Allen’s fault. In fact, we’re almost identical in points scored (2016 - 25.77 ppg, 2017 - 25.70 ppg).

In conclusion, you need to log off.
This is a horrible situation I wonder where we would be if Billy Lynch were still HFC no worse I'll bet. Keep riding with the high school coach. We could bring in unpaid coaches from the pee wee league and have as good of results.

This is a horrible situation I wonder where we would be if Billy Lynch were still HFC no worse I'll bet. Keep riding with the high school coach. We could bring in unpaid coaches from the pee wee league and have as good of results.
Wow. I'm pretty sure I don't want any of what you've been smokin', dude.

Bill Lynch, while a great guy, had dreadful recruiting classes and dreadful defenses. You’re basically ignoring every single fact I just typed out in order to rant about Bill Lynch as a savior. We are literally in position to do things that have either never happened here or very rarely happen. You just called a guy who took a major CFB defense from 117th to 30th in 2 years a “high school coach.” We’re likely going to yet another bowl. We’ve been to 11 bowls in 125 years. We are not in a “horrible situation.”

We really have some incredibly stupid fans.

Last edited:
I do not understand the underhanded shots at the Coach Allen. By our standards, this is a good IU football team. These are our losses: OSU, PSU, UM, MSU, UW and UMCP. Only the UMCP is "bad loss" (and they are better than usual this year). We had no margin of error with our schedule (and we still have about a 40% chance of a bowl game).

Our football history is worse than Vanderbilt's basketball history...

There is a section of the fan base that seems to have rushing to judgement as part of their DNA. Just posing this question on the basketball board appears to be an effort to cast doubt on whether IU made the right call in hiring Archie. Three games in, IMHO, is obviously not enough evidence to form a definitive statement in this regard, pro or con. Its not like we have..let's say..nine years of stuff to evaluate. I would argue that there is much more on the pro side that can generate optimism, as opposed to the negative vibes that so many on here seem to revel in.

We have a guy who actually played the game at the D1 level. A guy from basketball family with a solid coaching resume. And a very good start to his recruiting efforts. We also have guy who is well respected by his coaching colleagues. And his hire was roundly applauded by all sources that weighed in. As for the con side of things, we have three games that underwhelmed. Granted this was with a left over roster exposed to a new way of doing things. A talent drop from a team that barely finished with a winning record last year.

So if your disappointed that this team is not undefeated and on a path to win the B1G and make the dance as a high seed, then maybe you should tune out and check back in one or two years. If you still long for he whose name should not be spoken(Crean = Voldemort, Harry Potter fans!), you can find him on ESPN.

And you railed for Alford to be the BB coach. How did that China trip work out for UCLA?

Bill Lynch, while a great guy, had dreadful recruiting classes and dreadful defenses. You’re basically ignoring every single fact I just typed out in order to rant about Bill Lynch as a savior. We are literally in position to do things that have either never happened here or very rarely happen. You just called a guy who took a major CFB defense from 117th to 30th in 2 years a “high school coach.” We’re likely going to yet another bowl. We’ve been to 11 bowls in 125 years. We are not in a “horrible situation.”

We really have some incredibly stupid fans.
You mean like you. I merely said I wonder what our record would be if Billy Lynch were still here, you must be on drugs to have turned that in to I said he was a savior. Tom Allen is a high school coach. I really wish he was our defensive coordinator behind a college coach. I wonder if Tom Allen left IU who would hire him as Head Coach. The horrible situation I was talking about was where we are in Football plus Basketball with Basket ball being 75% of that. Every year we see how great our recruiting class is every year if we beat PUke we can go to a minor bowl, which is ok but would we really have a worse record if Lynch or any other of the coaches were still here?

Personally, I am in favor of an entirely new and untried system: Chuck Crabb announcing: "And tonight, coaching your Indiana Hoooooosiers: Ticket number 76565351 ..."

Reactions: carriu80
And you railed for Alford to be the BB coach. How did that China trip work out for UCLA?
Yes I did IU is the only school where having come from there is held against.you I guess Alford is why those kids got arrested. I know this the best player in Indiana followed Alford there, and Garland said UCLA was second not IU so yes I wish we had hired Alford instead of Davis,et all

You mean like you. I merely said I wonder what our record would be if Billy Lynch were still here, you must be on drugs to have turned that in to I said he was a savior. Tom Allen is a high school coach. I really wish he was our defensive coordinator behind a college coach. I wonder if Tom Allen left IU who would hire him as Head Coach. The horrible situation I was talking about was where we are in Football plus Basketball with Basket ball being 75% of that. Every year we see how great our recruiting class is every year if we beat PUke we can go to a minor bowl, which is ok but would we really have a worse record if Lynch or any other of the coaches were still here?
Personally, I believe the historical record indicates that, yes, the record would be worse if Lynch were still here. If Bo McMillan were somehow reincarnated and coaching IU again? Who knows?

Take more time? You mean they should’ve given Crean another 9 years?

Bill Lynch was the worst coach we have ever had

Anyone who would seriously doubt Archie after just three games needs to read The Legend's Club.

Had Tom Butters not had the stones to ride out Coach K's early struggles, just imagine where they might be now? We could be talking about Archie the same way 25 years from now. Give it time.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
Anyone who would seriously doubt Archie after just three games needs to read The Legend's Club.

Had Tom Butters not had the stones to ride out Coach K's early struggles, just imagine where they might be now? We could be talking about Archie the same way 25 years from now. Give it time.
Amen to that. Some people amazes me with their lack of basketball knowledge on here. To expect this team just to come out and be a great team right away is just idiotic.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
Yes I did IU is the only school where having come from there is held against.you I guess Alford is why those kids got arrested. I know this the best player in Indiana followed Alford there, and Garland said UCLA was second not IU so yes I wish we had hired Alford instead of Davis,et all
So, following your logic (or lack thereof) you would rather have had IU finish 2nd in the Garland sweepstakes just because Alford coached there?

you are guessing not even an educated guess
Well, I know Bo McMillin was 63-48-11 at Indiana and 92-69 in his career. When The Good Sisters taught me the number line, they taught me that 63 is greater than 48, so that's a winning record and that 92 is greater than 69 so, that, too is a winning record.
I would submit to you that on Coach McMillin's ability to coach the current Hoosiers successfully would require guessing and on that point, I said I am unsure how he would fare. Where I come from, that's called NOT guessing.
I also know that Bill Lynch was 19-30 at Indiana. Again, relying on what The Good Sisters taught me about the number line, I realize 19 is less than 30 so, this is a losing record. And because Coach Lynch coached the team relatively recently, I feel confident in predicting a continuation of the losing record, were he still the coach. And, yes, that is a guess. But it is at least supported by a four-season long track record.
But, go ahead, carriu, keep trying.

Well, I know Bo McMillin was 63-48-11 at Indiana and 92-69 in his career. When The Good Sisters taught me the number line, they taught me that 63 is greater than 48, so that's a winning record and that 92 is greater than 69 so, that, too is a winning record.
I would submit to you that on Coach McMillin's ability to coach the current Hoosiers successfully would require guessing and on that point, I said I am unsure how he would fare. Where I come from, that's called NOT guessing.
I also know that Bill Lynch was 19-30 at Indiana. Again, relying on what The Good Sisters taught me about the number line, I realize 19 is less than 30 so, this is a losing record. And because Coach Lynch coached the team relatively recently, I feel confident in predicting a continuation of the losing record, were he still the coach. And, yes, that is a guess. But it is at least supported by a four-season long track record.
But, go ahead, carriu, keep trying.
It comes under the heading figures don't lie but liars do figure

Just curious: Which numbers do you think I have manipulated? Because, I thought I objectively stated actual numbers that are part of the historical record and simply pointed out their place on the number line.

Well, Carriu, maybe it's enough and maybe it's not. I suppose that is ultimately for Fred Glass to decide. IMHO, it's crazy to fire Tom Allen after one year because he didn't get a certain number of wins. I'm guessing (and, yes, I'll admit to it!) that if he fires Allen after one year, we're going to have a hard time attracting really good candidates. But, admittedly, I've never been a college football coach and I cannot speak authoritatively about the factors they may or may not use in deciding whether or not to apply for a job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT