ADVERTISEMENT

HH is Sept 29

They really need to coordinate this with the IU/RU football game (at Rutgers). Open up AH for the football game on the big screens, pipe in the coverage from Fish and Buck, and then have the basketball showcase immediately after.
They brought in big screens for people to watch the IU at MSU game last year while in line.

They brought in big screens for people to watch the IU at MSU game last year while in line.
I remember that now that you mention it. The problem was the scheduling/timing, with the overlap of the games.

They need to take it further. Make it a football and basketball event. Open up AH 30 minutes before kickoff. Yup, the football fans get the best seats. Good. Football fans should be rewarded for their support of a less than stellar program. And who knows, it might generate a little more excitement for the football program in general, especially if we're doing well and put the hurt on the Knights. Might even put a few more butts in the seats in October and November.

They really need to coordinate this with the IU/RU football game (at Rutgers). Open up AH for the football game on the big screens, pipe in the coverage from Fish and Buck, and then have the basketball showcase immediately after.

that would work if IU-RU kicked off at 3 or 4PM, but good chance it kicks at noon.

if it kicks at noon, imo having HH at 4PM would not be great for the atmosphere or the crowd.

that would work if IU-RU kicked off at 3 or 4PM, but good chance it kicks at noon.

if it kicks at noon, imo having HH at 4PM would not be great for the atmosphere or the crowd.
It will fill up no matter what. And why would it being at 4:00 be a negative? It's a Saturday, fer cryin' out loud. Might actually bring in some fans from further away who wouldn't want to travel home late if it were held in the evening, and would give everyone a chance to hit the bars and restaurants afterwards. I see no downside whatsoever.

If they were smart they'd set up tailgate areas and the whole deal with full concessions and food trucks and everything else. Do their best to make it a football event, just watched from inside AH.

Of course, I'm just a poor schmuck who doesn't know anything, so there's no way it would happen.

Reactions: ufo33
I would rather watch the football game inside AH and have food and beverages available durng the football game and for HH.

It will fill up no matter what. And why would it being at 4:00 be a negative? It's a Saturday, fer cryin' out loud. Might actually bring in some fans from further away who wouldn't want to travel home late if it were held in the evening, and would give everyone a chance to hit the bars and restaurants afterwards. I see no downside whatsoever.

If they were smart they'd set up tailgate areas and the whole deal with full concessions and food trucks and everything else. Do their best to make it a football event, just watched from inside AH.

Of course, I'm just a poor schmuck who doesn't know anything, so there's no way it would happen.

Don't know if it's a negative or not, but they are traditionally done at night. It's like saying why don't more bar bands start at 4pm vs 8pm... the music would still be the same, right? I do think starting it early runs the risk of not making it seem a marquee event that can stand on it's own. Not to say it shouldn't happen, but I hope the school puts more thought in to it. To me the really great way to do it, would be to start the game at 5-6pm and HH at 9 or 9:30. End the game under the lights and then encourage everyone to head to HH. That seems to me to highlight both sports and show a school spirit. I think I'm a typical IU fan and we're a bball first school, so I want the event done such that it highlights our bball program to the greatest degree possible. I loved when they involved Sage Steele to get it even more notoriety with ESPN.

To me the really great way to do it, would be to start the game at 5-6pm and HH at 9 or 9:30. End the game under the lights and then encourage everyone to head to HH. That seems to me to highlight both sports and show a school spirit.
It's an away game @ Rutgers. That's why I've been talking about opening AH early and big screens and such. Until such time as the kickoff time is announced, discussions of the start time of HH and if/how to make it into the Football and Basketball Event I'm advocating are moot. If the football game kicked off at say 3:00-4:00, that would be ideal for my proposition.

It's an away game @ Rutgers. That's why I've been talking about opening AH early and big screens and such. Until such time as the kickoff time is announced, discussions of the start time of HH and if/how to make it into the Football and Basketball Event I'm advocating are moot. If the football game kicked off at say 3:00-4:00, that would be ideal for my proposition.

Ahhh, gotcha. Well, an on-campus game to me would be the ideal and what I'd be pushing for in the future.

Ahhh, gotcha. Well, an on-campus game to me would be the ideal and what I'd be pushing for in the future.

Sept 29 may have been chosen because that is the date that Brooks, TJD and Newmann/Franklin can all attend. I'm sure that Archie and staff checked with Leal, Galloway, Furst, etc to try and optimize recruits' attendance. The greeting that IU fans showered on potential recruits was impressive, and Archie is wise to utilize it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT