ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, Dads!

Springsteen is just amazing. I wish I would have seen hm in his “prime” in the ‘70s, but I got to see him at Wrigley Field 3 or 4 years ago and my lawyer scored us tickets where if I wanted to reach out and grab him I could have. He played for about three hours and had another show at Wrigley the next night. The next day, one of my friends way up on the North Side said he saw Bruce out for a run! I couldn’t believe it because his show must have been like running a marathon on its own.

Anyway, he had some awesome special guests. Eddie Vedder and Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine). Besides being from Chicago and a Harvard graduate, I think Tom Morello is the most amazing guitarist I’ve ever seen...which you can see in this clip from The Ghost of Tom Joad” Tom Morello has a solo a little earlier in this song, but at about the 6:50 mark he just goes off:

And I’m not a fan of big gaudy guitar solos, but I remember when I saw him playing this at Wrigley, people around me were saying “Who the hell is this guy?” Because in Chicago they just introduced him as Tom Morello.

QUOTE="cosmickid, post: 2371548, member: 8944"]I love these kind of threads...And this is an incredible piece of songwriting (imho)...

Well now on a summer night in a dusky room
Come a little piece of the Lord's undying light
Crying like he swallowed the fiery moon
In his mother's arms it was all the beauty I could take
Like the missing words to some prayer that I could never make
In a world so hard and dirty so fouled and confused
Searching for a little bit of God's mercy
I found living proof

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
This is interesting (just because it was my dad), but anyway my dad is a retired dentist, but while he was still working, Dan Fogelberg was playing at the Star Plaza Theater in Merrilville and before his show he somehow broke his tooth off. I’m going to have to ask my dad why they called him, but my dad went in and fixed Dan Fogelberg’s tooth!

My dad said he was the nicest guy in the world and gave my dad great seats to the show that night. I think that was one of the highlights of my dad’s dental career.

Very sad that Fogelberg died at such a relatively young age.

Last edited:
Nope. You’re not alone. I’m 48 and just recently divorced. I’m still relatively good friends with my wife. But as I age and I realize I’m not going to live forever, little things (like the Harry Chapin songs) make me tear up.

It’s funny. Listening to those records (!) doesn’t seem that long ago to me, but I’m really starting to understand that it WAS a long, long time ago.

And visiting my wife in my old house where I lived for 11 years really brings it home to me. Everything in there was something we did together; paint color, art, furniture...everything. Sometimes it’s overwhelming to believe that time is over but that it continues to chug along. Now it’s been almost two years since I lived there.

Anyway...I agree that I tear up WAY more than I ever did in my youth. By the way, great thread, Rock. As usual.

I posted this because I'm kind of sappy right now. I've grown a lot more emotional since I was a young man. (I am now woke and bespoke.)

Elsewhere I started a thread where I asked (like an asshole) how old others might admit to being. I wonder now whether I'm the only one who's grown softer as he's grown older. By this I mean that I've become embarrassingly likely to cry watching some stupid sitcom. A Harry Chapin song makes me cry. Anything involving kids and I have to excuse myself.

I may not be as sturdy as I used to be about other people's problems.

Last edited:
From son to father, Kenny Loggins wrote "This is It" when he learned his father had cancer. It was used as the concluding song for the NCAA tournament before CBS replaced it with a horrible song they had written special. I assume to cut down royalty payments.

Reactions: Block charge large
A little off topic, in that it is not a song, but it is about dads...

I always get a little misty right about here...
rudy2.png

Reactions: Noodle
I posted this because I'm kind of sappy right now. I've grown a lot more emotional since I was a young man. (I am now woke and bespoke.)

Elsewhere I started a thread where I asked (like an asshole) how old others might admit to being. I wonder now whether I'm the only one who's grown softer as he's grown older. By this I mean that I've become embarrassingly likely to cry watching some stupid sitcom. A Harry Chapin song makes me cry. Anything involving kids and I have to excuse myself.

I may not be as sturdy as I used to be about other people's problems.
This incredibly moving song definitely had an effect on me as I raised my kids, wasn't going to make that mistake. That's really what art is for, to mold our culture. Artists see the future and we follow.

They're now grown but we still communicate a lot. My son created a viber group for all of us, including my former wife. Rarely a day goes by without some interaction. We all want the family to continue as a family, despite going our separate ways.

Great rendition of Twinkle Twinkle, one of my favorite lullaby's to sing to my kids.

And to think not long ago I was listening to old Metallica, Rammstein and Chevelle.

And I know that a lot of people punk Macklemore, but he's a fabulous dude and this is among my favorite Dad-Daughter songs.

The letter that he put out that accompanied it's release is really cool, too (IMHO).
My rage against Macklemore is not his fault. He had no business beating Kendrick Lamar out of that Grammy. And I’ll never forgive him for it.

you beat me to this one.

not one of his better known songs when he was big, thought F&S was my private discovery.

bought CS's greatest hits back in the day, mostly for Father and Son.

Well I was 15 when Tea For the Tillerman came out and I bought it.And F&S was immediately one of my 2 or 3 faves-so it was definitely not your private discovery :) On the album notes it's listed as being from "Revolussia" which was a proposed joint effort for a musical about a Russian family at the time of the Revolution.The son wants to go off and join the fighting,and the father urges him not to go...

I had never seen this video before and it's certainly "interesting".I love Eddie's voice usually,but for this song I think I just prefer the original version from 1970...

Springsteen is just amazing. I wish I would have seen hm in his “prime” in the ‘70s, but I got to see him at Wrigley Field 3 or 4 years ago and my lawyer scored us tickets where if I wanted to reach out and grab him I could have. He played for about three hours and had another show at Wrigley the next night. The next day, one of my friends way up on the North Side said he saw Bruce out for a run! I couldn’t believe it because his show must have been like running a marathon on its own.

Anyway, he had some awesome special guests. Eddie Vedder and Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine). Besides being from Chicago and a Harvard graduate, I think Tom Morello is the most amazing guitarist I’ve ever seen...which you can see in this clip from The Ghost of Tom Joad” Tom Morello has a solo a little earlier in this song, but at about the 6:50 mark he just goes off:

And I’m not a fan of big gaudy guitar solos, but I remember when I saw him playing this at Wrigley, people around me were saying “Who the hell is this guy?” Because in Chicago they just introduced him as Tom Morello.

QUOTE="cosmickid, post: 2371548, member: 8944"]I love these kind of threads...And this is an incredible piece of songwriting (imho)...

Well now on a summer night in a dusky room
Come a little piece of the Lord's undying light
Crying like he swallowed the fiery moon
In his mother's arms it was all the beauty I could take
Like the missing words to some prayer that I could never make
In a world so hard and dirty so fouled and confused
Searching for a little bit of God's mercy
I found living proof

[/QUOTE]

I didn't see Bruce until 1985 (in Germany),though I had tickets for the River Show in Frankfurt 4 yrs earlier and couldn't go.I didn't see him again till the Rising tour,but in the subsequent years I've seen him about 25 or so times.I tried for GA tickets for both Wrigley shows,but it ended up being about the same time I had to have my cardiac defib installed-so I missed it.I'd have been at the 2nd show (when it rained)which would have bummed me out.I love that Bruce plays thru rain,but I personally hate standing out in inclement weather...

I live in Bloomington and have seen Bruce in at least 10 states,but I've never been to a show in Chicago or Ill.In addition to missing out on Wrigley during Wrecking Ball,I had United Center tickets for the Magic tour and ended up not going.I drove to Minneapolis for a show and decided I was too worn out to deal with Chicago the very next night-and of course ended up regretting that I sold my ticket.I went to Bonnaroo in 2009,left the morning after Bruce's Sat night show and of course he ended up playing with Phish to close the Festival on Sun night.

I did see 3 shows on the High Hopes leg in 2014 with Tom M,when he replaced Stevie temporarily.I flew to Dallas for the "free" show at the FF4 (and had to endure pUKe fans chanting "Cats" in the crowd.)A couple days later I drove to Cincy in 70 degree weather,and a week later in Columbus it was snowing like crazy standing in the GA line for the Pit draw.In addition to what you mentioned about Morello,another interesting fact is his father was a Kenyan diplomat,who had originally been a Mau Mau guerilla.

ADVERTISEMENT