ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, Dads!

Chapin or Goodman?

You could make a great case for each . . . .
True, but when I started typing only Chapin was there. I have been a huge Chapin fan, but his songs could depress a hyena. My youngest is getting married soon, one of the first things she told me was Cats in the Cradle would most certainly not be the father-daughter dance.

I began lobbying for Taxi.

I posted this because I'm kind of sappy right now. I've grown a lot more emotional since I was a young man. (I am now woke and bespoke.)

Elsewhere I started a thread where I asked (like an asshole) how old others might admit to being. I wonder now whether I'm the only one who's grown softer as he's grown older. By this I mean that I've become embarrassingly likely to cry watching some stupid sitcom. A Harry Chapin song makes me cry. Anything involving kids and I have to excuse myself.

I may not be as sturdy as I used to be about other people's problems.

I posted this because I'm kind of sappy right now. I've grown a lot more emotional since I was a young man. (I am now woke and bespoke.)

Elsewhere I started a thread where I asked (like an asshole) how old others might admit to being. I wonder now whether I'm the only one who's grown softer as he's grown older. By this I mean that I've become embarrassingly likely to cry watching some stupid sitcom. A Harry Chapin song makes me cry. Anything involving kids and I have to excuse myself.

I have gotten softer as well. Maybe it is normal?

I think most people grow softer as they grow older, particularly if after children. Don't think I've gone more than 5 secs into a kids with cancer video without tearing up. Things (perspectives, feelings, etc.) change once you have your own.

I think most people grow softer as they grow older, particularly if after children. Don't think I've gone more than 5 secs into a kids with cancer video without tearing up. Things (perspectives, feelings, etc.) change once you have your own.
That's nice, JDB. Sounds like the voice of experience. Good stuff.

Softer? I dunno . . . maybe fuller . . . and when that happens my cup can runneth over too . . . .

Reactions: Scott S and DrHoops
That's nice, JDB. Sounds like the voice of experience. Good stuff.

Just had #2. Not saying people without kids can't feel sympathetic or empathetic, but something about watching your kids grow up (and my oldest is not even 2.5 yet, so I'm assuming the trend continues) really softens you.

I'm not sure if it's their overall innocence or the nurturing bond between parents and their children, but I try and take a few mins each day to reflect on some of the things that my kids have done. Somehow teaches me things.

I feel this way exactly. Seem to have become more emotional with age. It is odd the things that get me teary...here is one for you.

Reactions: Rockfish1

A double dose of father son angst from the Master of that particular dynamic...

Well...When I was a small boy, I felt the sorrow in that song...but at the same time, I used it as a weapon against my dad. If he wouldn’t do something I wanted, I’d stroll out of the room singing Cat’s in the Cradle...

Now, I don’t think it’s so funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: iu_a_att
True, but when I started typing only Chapin was there. I have been a huge Chapin fan, but his songs could depress a hyena. My youngest is getting married soon, one of the first things she told me was Cats in the Cradle would most certainly not be the father-daughter dance.

Your take on Chapin is excellent. Chapin himself has said that, as a father, Cat's in the Cradle scared the hell out of him every time he performed it -- because he thought of his own son every time.

Taxi is an amazing song. Did you guys ever like Jim Croce? That was another great singer/songwriter I grew up with.

Reactions: Scott S
Just had #2. Not saying people without kids can't feel sympathetic or empathetic, but something about watching your kids grow up (and my oldest is not even 2.5 yet, so I'm assuming the trend continues) really softens you.

I'm not sure if it's their overall innocence or the nurturing bond between parents and their children, but I try and take a few mins each day to reflect on some of the things that my kids have done. Somehow teaches me things.
Isn't all of that amazing? Doesn't it dazzle you when they give back?

I'm glad you posted in this thread.

If you have daughters, I dare you to listen to "Butterfly Kisses" and try not to get a little teary-eyed. It's a hokey, overwrought number, but I always got a little emotional when they played it at every Girl Scout father-daughter dance.:oops:

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Always loved Rick Roberts' voice- guilty pleasure...

Technically this is about his Grandfather,but a great song nevertheless...

I love these kind of threads...And this is an incredible piece of songwriting (imho)...

Well now on a summer night in a dusky room
Come a little piece of the Lord's undying light
Crying like he swallowed the fiery moon
In his mother's arms it was all the beauty I could take
Like the missing words to some prayer that I could never make
In a world so hard and dirty so fouled and confused
Searching for a little bit of God's mercy
I found living proof

Reactions: DrHoops
If you have daughters, I dare you to listen to "Butterfly Kisses" and try not to get a little teary-eyed. It's a hokey, overwrought number, but I always got a little emotional when they played it at every Girl Scout father-daughter dance.:oops:
I have never heard it, I will have to give it a try.

I’d love to spend a day with my dad now just to talk about his life before I came along. We never talked about that except about isolated anecdotes.

Reactions: Scott S and DrHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT