ADVERTISEMENT

Here's hoping we're still in The Big Ten when we awaken tomorrow.

The players I.B. Trippin, Anita Fix and Brandywine Angin ...

..haven't brought us down .... yet.

So do we rename the coach I. C. Nuttin?

The difference here, and we can debate its size, is that Sampson was cheating. As far as I can tell Creat is not cheating - so that's a plus on his side.

But that's about the only plus he has right now. I realize that you cannot force kids who are determined to screw themselves up for life to not do so, but one does wonder why there seem to be so many of them on this team right now, and only a couple of years when it seemed like all the kids were above this kind of thing. Was it an illusion?

I know kids partied, drank and used drugs under Knight as well - but as far as I know the 2nd time offenders got the boot.

Crean seems like a "nice guy". Maybe he's too nice.

You bring down the hammer.

I'm disappointed in so many ways. I like Crean and I was hoping he'd get the job when they were looking for Davis' replacement. I respect him for bringing us back from the depths, but I no longer feel he's the guy to bring IU back to the top.

The over-recruiting is problematic, but this lack of control is the worst part of this. Everybody recognizes you can't babysit these guys every minute, and they're just kids - and kids will be kids. But, at this level, there are greater responsibilities and greater requirements. The guys may think it's unfair and unjust, but that's the way it is. From whom much is given much is expected.

That said, Crean should bring down the Hammer of Thor. Run these yahoos until they puke ... and run them some more. Bring in some folks from the past to emphasize just what it means to wear that jersey. Jordan Hulls said it pretty well. Bring in Dwyane Wade and Victor Oladipo. Bring the team to Cincinnati and spend some time with Lauren Hill. I bet she gets it.

Maybe it's kids today. That's kind of old-fogey-ish, but so be it. Who here wouldn't have given their left nut to be a walk-on for Knight?

I also blame the "entitlement mentality" that so many pampered athletes bring to the table. Sometimes you just want to grab these guys and shake them by the shoulders and tell them to wake up. They have so many great opportunities ahead; don't screw it up. You've been given a wonderful gift. Enjoy it; build upon it; nurture it.

A voting day miracle

I agree with everything you said. You should post this on the other boards. I am disappointed too and am afraid that there is nothing Crean can do to change the path now. But I've been thinking along your same lines. It is what is it now...where do we go from here? I'd say Crean is gone barring a miracle at the end of the year. But I still intend to support him and the team while they are here. He does need to constantly bring in former players and other speakers and keep them on the tightest rein possible. I didn't realize he had forced them all to live on campus, which is a good start. Something else I don't think people realize, and is didn't until I got on campus, is that the whole culture of the university really has to make some changes. IU is getting audited this year because of the numerous violations, and the strong Greek population and number of athletes. Excise police will be around all year, not just at Little 5. There are really things the whole campus needs to do . Did you know that IU Sing no longer exists because of the large number of acts that showed up drunk? It was just another excuse to party. It's not just the culture of the basketball team, it's the whole campus. Maybe it's the same everywhere, I can't speak to that....

Re: A voting day miracle

Doesn't sound any different than back when I was in college in the 80's. The difference today is, in my opinion, a clearer lens focused on athletes and their behavior. Back then athletes could get away with more than they can today. That's not to say that everyone was out of control back then--Knight and Keady were notorious for keeping kids on the straight and narrow. That's how it should have been across the board, but it wasn't.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that people are perhaps being overly harsh on Crean. And I'm a Purdue grad. POTFH

I disagree

You can make the case that illegal actions under a self-regulatory agency (NCAA) are far less important than breaking the actual law.

Ha....there are some differences on campus though, IMO

We partied a couple nights a week. These guys have pairs every single nights some weeks. IU Sing wasn't just about partying, which is what it turned into, and why they had to cancel. Football games are just a reason to get up early and start drinking at 8. No one even knows who we are playing ( ok they lead me to drink too). . Little 5 was a weekend, now it's an entire week. The other thing that scares me is that we drank beer and wine and they drink mainly hard stuff...vodka. They actually are so much better at keeping someone sober ( which I'm sure Holt was the sober driver) and calling for taxis. Maybe it's just a problem in the Greek system, but it doubt it. And I agree that people are being too harsh on Crean. As most of us know, if we'd done better last year in the W column, this wouldn't have been nearly the issue. Many people are looking for an excuse.

To hard on Crean?

LMAO.

I remember a coach being trashed because he was PLAYING with a bull whip that his PLAYERS gave him. Just fun between the coach and players. :(

That being said, how can you have two of the top five draft picks in the NBA and not even come close to winning at the college level? There is more to coaching then walking the sidelines and clapping your hands.
This post was edited on 11/4 10:50 AM by ARMZP

First of all

I'd say they came CLOSE to winning at college basketball, considering they won the B1G and were number one for most of the year, were they not? That's just a ridiculous statement. Second of all, and no one is a bigger Knight fan , however that was one of a multitude of incidents, and you know it. Third of all, it's TOO hard, not to.

Soccer team not doing very well in the B1G, highly ranked nationally but not in B1G - we just were tied by the worst team in the B1G and a team that was rated 177 in power ratings

I think their worst soccer loss was the very first game of the season

1-0 to Xavier?!?

upon further review....

I had no idea that Xavier was actually ranked in soccer this season. No idea how I missed that.

Re: I think their worst soccer loss was the very first game of the season

We are in a 3-way tie for 5th in a 9 team conference, only 2 teams below us. We have won only 3 of 7 conf games

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT