ADVERTISEMENT

Here's an article about the off season roster movement

It seems most of the guys who moved on transferred to smaller schools.
And most of the guys who came in were fairly average at their first place.
Time will tell what the coaches can develop.
It’s rare to get the guy who absolutely “crushed it” at his former school. 99% of these guys transfer for more playing time.
I get it, though. You see the writing on the wall that you’ll practice every day but make it into a game possibly never, so you go where your odds are better.

I’d like to see this Lanier kid from Bama come in. That would bolster an already good secondary.

3 returning starters on offense was the starkest disclosure (fact) from this article. — All from a maligned OL. It‘s a stark contrast from the defense’s senior laden two deep.

The OTE mavens revisit IU offense in the next article in the series.
https://www.offtackleempire.com/202...chart-walt-belt-connor-bazelak-fried-biscuits

Nobody (there) knows what to expect. Only 21% of the poll responses are positive.
(“Dead cat bounce“ and “can’t be any worse” garnered 79%).

IU is rolling the dice on Walt Bell’s success. Walt Bell appears to be betting on himself too,
as the author believes Walt has his eye on bigger and better things.

CTA hired Walt Bell, (in part,) as he found the MD spread attack difficult for his “spread offense” (base-nickel) defensive scheme.

IU has an experienced O-coordinator, willing to make his bones resurrecting IUs offense. (Going so far as to lead blocking scheme installation during spring practices). The question is whether IU has sufficient talent to be even average.

There appears to be some room for optimism. I don’t think the dice will come up boxcars or snake eyes. With 8 new starters, there is a wide spread of possibilities. The central limit theorem may be our friend.

Beat Illinois

Last edited:
3 returning starters on offense was the starkest disclosure (fact) from this article. — All from a maligned OL. It‘s a stark contrast from the defenses‘ senior laden two deep.

The OTE mavens revisit IU offense in the next article in the series.
https://www.offtackleempire.com/202...chart-walt-belt-connor-bazelak-fried-biscuits

Nobody (there) knows what to expect. Only 21% of the poll responses are positive.
(“Dead cat bounce“ and “can’t be any worse” garnered 79%).

IU is rolling the dice on Walt Bell’s success. Walt Bell appears to be betting on himself too,
as the author believes Walt has his eye on bigger and better things.

CTA hired Walt Bell, (in part,) as he found the MD spread attack difficult for his “spread offense” (base-nickel) defensive scheme.

IU has an experienced O-coordinator, willing to make his bones resurrecting IUs offense. (Going so far as to lead blocking scheme installation during spring practices). The question is whether IU has sufficient talent to be even average.

There appears to be some room for optimism. I don’t think the dice will come up boxcars or snake eyes. With 8 new starters, there is a wide spread of possibilities. The central limit theorem may be our friend.

Beat Illinois
You have it right that there is reason for optimism but none of us know for sure what kind of season IUFB will have in 2022. If coach Allen can get the defense back into the top 25 and creating take aways then the season could be better than many think. Can Shiver change IU's running game and do a great job catching the ball out of the backfield; if he does then offense will be much better [I am very excited about Shiver] especially if the offense has misdirection running plays.

There are many reasons to be optimistic - new coaches with NFL experience, very good players at key spots, an experienced defense with top players roaming the field, STs with quality players in key spots ie a top LS, very good kicker, and talented punter. At the same time, there are many unknowns this season ie how quickly can players pick up the new offense, how will players respond to the new coaches, and will the WRs step up to give IU an explosive offense.

I believe the breaks will come IU's way this season and if not I can live with the results.

Last edited:
You have it right that there is reason for optimism but none of us know for sure what kind of season IUFB will have in 2022. If coach Allen can get the defense back into the top 25 and creating take aways then the season could be better than many think. Can Shiver change IU's running game and do a great job catching the ball out of the backfield; if he does then offense will be much better [I am very excited about Shiver] especially if the offense has misdirection running plays.

There are many reasons to be optimistic - new coaches with NFL experience, very good players at key spots, an experienced defense with top players roaming the field, STs with quality plays in key spots ie a top LS, very good kicker, and talented punter. At the same time, there are many unknowns this season ie how quickly can players pick up the new offense, how will players respond to the new coaches, and will the WRs step up to give IU an explosive offense.

I believe the breaks will come IU's way this season and if not I can live with the results.
I don't think we can emphasize how much emphasis Coach Allen starting immediately after last season ended on his involvement with the OL. They will along with Hiller be carrying Coach Allen's brand of attitude from that off season prep into Spring camp. This is the attribute I consider most prominently owned by Allen and how much he can dominate and affect a position room. There will be a notable blocking and protection improvement.
Go HOOSIERS!!

There are many reasons to be optimistic - new coaches with NFL experience, very good players at key spots, an experienced defense with top players roaming the field, STs with quality plays in key spots ie a top LS, very good kicker, and talented punter. At the same time, there are many unknowns this season ie how quickly can players pick up the new offense, how will players respond to the new coaches, and will the WRs step up to give IU an explosive offense.

Well said

He's a walk-on that received almost no playing time after starting off at Georgia St., right? Do we really think he's going to be an impact player? Is that fair to him?
He was on scholarship at Georgia State before going to Alabama...

He has a decent pedigree and three years to polish it... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the two deep rotation before it's all said and done...

We wouldn't be wasting a scholarship on him if they didn't believe he had the talent to make it into to two deep eventually (in my opinion)...

He was on scholarship at Georgia State before going to Alabama...

He has a decent pedigree and three years to polish it... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the two deep rotation before it's all said and done...

We wouldn't be wasting a scholarship on him if they didn't believe he had the talent to make it into to two deep eventually (in my opinion)...
Players mature and improve if they work hard and develop physically so going to Georgia State doesn't tell us what kind of athlete he is now. He worked against very good receivers at Alabama and shouldn't be overwhelmed by the talent in the B1G. He should be a very good depth player for IU.

Reactions: Hoosier009 and 76-1
Didn’t MP actually have 4 season ending injuries? He arrived in BT in ‘18 and never completed a season.

Didn’t MP actually have 4 season ending injuries? He arrived in BT in ‘18 and never completed a season.
Yes..., two ACL's, and two shoulder injuries... The ACL's were just bad luck, the shoulder injuries had poor play call assists..., as in if you know you have a fragile QB you don't purposefully utilize him on short yardage running plays... At any rate..., he's moved on and hopefully for him he'll stay healthy for a whole season (although the guy who ran him for short yardage against M$U (and trashed his shoulder big time is now his head coach so good luck).............

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yes..., two ACL's, and two shoulder injuries... The ACL's were just bad luck, the shoulder injuries had poor play call assists..., as in if you know you have a fragile QB you don't purposefully utilize him on short yardage running plays... At any rate..., he's moved on and hopefully for him he'll stay healthy for a whole season (although the guy who ran him for short yardage against M$U (and trashed his shoulder big time is now his head coach so good luck).............
I guess he got hurt so much Matt Weaver can’t even keep track!

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT