ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a Few RB Coach Names & Bio's -

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
This is just a sampling of who "might" be available ((and given the fluid nature of staffing hires during the offseason this list is subject to change)):

Issac Reed (Buffalo) https://ubbulls.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/issac-reed/251

Kevin Smith (Ole' Miss)

David Johnson (Florida State) https://seminoles.com/david-johnson-hired-as-running-backs-coach-recruiting-coordinator/

Stan Drayton (Texas?) https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/stan-drayton/2764

((And)), Here's a couple of out of the box types, from far left field (they'd have to learn or relearn the technique aspect but given their overall coaching background(s) that wouldn't seem to be a stumbling block (and they could prove helpful in other areas of the Offense too)

Robert Weiner (Toledo)

Mike Hallet (Toledo) https://utrockets.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/mike-hallett/751

I'm certain Head Coach Tom Allen already has three or four guys in mind... This is just for your viewing pleasure...

I hope we get a guy who can (1)recruit, (2)lead and (3)coach technique at a high level... I always felt that we were only getting 1 & 2 and not necessarily 3 with Hart, so here's an opportunity to upgrade, in my opinion...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
IIRC Reed is more of a WR guy--only coached UB's running backs 1 year, I believe.

But that's a good list. Saw this guy's name somewhere too: https://tulanegreenwave.com/staff-directory/jamaal-fobbs/197

I've heard some good things FWIW about this guy as well: https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/brian-haines/977

but I can't really get a feel for how good a recruiter either one would be in the B1G 10 wars

Haines is intriguing...

I was surprised to see him leave Ohio...

Maybe he figures he'll have a better shot at the HC job there (or anywhere) if he gets a couple more stops on his resume'...

Looks like there's a potentially a whole lot of moving parts to this hire: Recruiting, Technical Coaching Upgrade, Added Value in other coaching areas... Money saved..., or more spent, Asst HC Title now back in play..., maintaining current staff cohesion and morale..., maintaining TEAM morale and continuity of "culture"...etc...

Should be Really interesting to see how this one pans out...

Here's an "Easy Button" ((already on staff)) fix:

Move Kevin Wright to RB's Coach from his current TE slot... https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-wright/3086

"And",

Promote Danny Friend to TE's Coach https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/danny-friend/3083
He's currently a Grad Asst and I'd hate to see him move on...(as they all eventually do)...

Like the idea of trying to help D Friend, but would Kevin Wright be a strong RB recruiter?

Haines is intriguing...

I was surprised to see him leave Ohio...

Maybe he figures he'll have a better shot at the HC job there (or anywhere) if he gets a couple more stops on his resume'...
I suppose Coach Peoples can give CTA the low-down on Fobbs (if there is any mutual interest)

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
At some point he may have to expand beyond only people he coached with...see success of Kalen DeBoer!

CTA may not have coached with Jalen DeBoer prior to hiring him to become OC, but, he had a connection to him. IIRC, CKD was recommended to CTA by Eastern Michigan head coach Chris Creighton, who previously worked with both Allen and DeBoer. I think CTA has done quite well using his previous coaching connections to hire coaches.

CTA may not have coached with Jalen DeBoer prior to hiring him to become OC, but, he had a connection to him. IIRC, CKD was recommended to CTA by Eastern Michigan head coach Chris Creighton, who previously worked with both Allen and DeBoer. I think CTA has done quite well using his previous coaching connections to hire coaches.
Good job remembering that one! Did CTA have any link to Coach Wellman before hiring him?

If Andre Powell or Kenny Burns can be gotten, hope can bring one in. Beside being IU guys, they have had success coaching RBs elsewhere. And finally, I think both would be pumped (esp Burns having played in the GD era) with where the program is at in culture, facilities and talent.

If Andre Powell or Kenny Burns can be gotten, hope can bring one in. Beside being IU guys, they have had success coaching RBs elsewhere. And finally, I think both would be pumped (esp Burns having played in the GD era) with where the program is at in culture, facilities and talent.
They both seem strong to me, but this far I have not seen a Tom Allen trend for “ex-IU” people per se, versus people he k we or coaches with. Believe before Hiller people (including me) liked the ex IU OL coach who was at BC and then went to UCLA. Played at IU, thought we would have made a hard run at him. Clearly we didn’t. But an ex-IU p

Reactions: vesuvius13
They both seem strong to me, but this far I have not seen a Tom Allen trend for “ex-IU” people per se, versus people he k we or coaches with. Believe before Hiller people (including me) liked the ex IU OL coach who was at BC and then went to UCLA. Played at IU, thought we would have made a hard run at him. Clearly we didn’t. But an ex-IU p
Ex IU player would be very popular with IU fans...see Mike Hart at UM! Good luck Coach Allen!

Reactions: red hornet
What about Anthony Thompson . He has coached at IU before , and I think he knows what it takes to be a great running back in the Big 10 .
No idea who CTA will pick but I think this hire needs to happen sooner than DC.

As CTA mentions in article...there will be a lot of analysis this winter and the development of what they want to do before spring ball.

It would seem this hire has to happen soon.

I love AT as much as anyone, but don't think he has coached since the Cam era, almost 20 years ago. I believe he is with the Athletic Dept or Foundation. Last time I saw an interview with him, he seemed quite content. The travel involved in off-season recruiting and coaching grind of 14-16 hour days in season isn't for everyone especially if he has a family that is used to him being around.

IIRC DeBoer and CTA actually coached against each other in their "small school" days

Here's Andre Powell's bio:

He's a no lose type of prospect but I think we'll go with a young tiger of a recruiter who also can coach..., "Unless"..., CTA punches the Easy button on this one...😉 (Wright to RB's and Friend to TE's)...😎

Justin Frye https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/justin-frye/3612? Now the OC at UCLA under Kelly

Reactions: 76-1
I like this guy. I think the focus needs to be a entirely new running scheme. This guy would bring that.

Sounds interesting, but since he is currently OC in his 1st year would he want to go to a place with a young OC?

Sounds interesting, but since he is currently OC in his 1st year would he want to go to a place with a young OC?
The position coach pay at IU is about twice what the coordinator pay at Buffalo is. So that would be the reason. Also I believe he's in his 6th season as offensive coordinator. He's been good for a long time. You either go for this kind of pick or a great recruiter.

It might make sense to come in as co-OC for 2 years and then CTA helps him get another gig.

Really what he would be doing would be to implement a running scheme for us in exchange for recommendation/move on to a head coaching gig or become THE OC at another P5 school.

At least that is my take.

I love AT as much as anyone, but don't think he has coached since the Cam era, almost 20 years ago. I believe he is with the Athletic Dept or Foundation. Last time I saw an interview with him, he seemed quite content. The travel involved in off-season recruiting and coaching grind of 14-16 hour days in season isn't for everyone especially if he has a family that is used to
Is AT still a pastor on the side?

Reactions: Chriselli
If we get an equivalent of Coach Warren for RB’s I will be happy. I fee like IU took a HUGE step this year with the magical season, national TV games, Jan FL bowl game and National Coach of Year honors. Another coordinator gets a HC job. We got another 4-star QB recruit. Very pleased where IU is positioned. Think coach Warren will help close the deal on some serious Southern talent. And yes, having a black coordinator can mean something to some of these players/families in 2021 & beyond. But make no mistake, this man has put in his time at major programs and have to believe he’s been seen as a coach on the rise already. With our FL/GA/TN ties, he literally coached at all three state schools! Looks like a great hire.

Tom Allen has earned the trust that the moves he makes will be good ones, so looking forward to his next RB announcement!

How 'bout former IU FB Andre Powell? Has been RBs and Special Teams coach at Pitt for a while now. Previous to that MD and Clemson IIRC.
Really? I'm surprised to hear that name. He worked with my friend's Dad on campus when I was a kid--I remember watching the All-American Bowl in '86 at my friend's house & his Dad saw Andre on the TV & went nuts--"that's Andre!" Anyway, he would be...up there in age by now, I would think. In his 50's, anyway.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that name. He worked with my friend's Dad on campus when I was a kid--I remember watching the All-American Bowl in '86 at my friend's house & his Dad saw Andre on the TV & went nuts--"that's Andre!" Anyway, he would be...up there in age by now, I would think. In his 50's, anyway.

54 to be exact... He'd be a great pickup but I'd be surprised if we go that direction...

Andre was one hell of a lead blocker and actually a pretty decent ball carrier in his own right...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pigalow and 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT