ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a Few RB Coach Names & Bio's -

Allen's hires have mostly been solid. They seem to be getting better as he goes. The only two I have my doubts on is Hillier and Sheridan as OC. I think Sheridan as quarterback coach and TE coach is really solid, but I get the Sheridan hire. We had a great system and just wanted to keep it going.

Allen's hires have mostly been solid. They seem to be getting better as he goes. The only two I have my doubts on is Hillier and Sheridan as OC. I think Sheridan as quarterback coach and TE coach is really solid, but I get the Sheridan hire. We had a great system and just wanted to keep it going.
I agree...

I think the new DC will work out but it will take some attention from CTA.

With CTA wanting to focus a bit on running game I just feel he is stretching himself thin for 2021.

If he makes 2 hires (DC and RB) that are great recruiters then that helps offset the extra time he will focus on x's and o's.

Optimal would be well oiled machine already in OC and DC and swinging for the fences with 2022 recruiting class.

Situation is needing to spend time with DC and contribute to new running game while swinging for the fences in 2022 recruiting class.

Wife and kids may get a bit lonely the next 12 months :).

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I wonder if TA doubles down and goes for another ace recruiter in the south as RB coach.
[/QUOTE]

Well, this coach - https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jay-graham/4656 - theoretically just became available but I wouldn't be at surprised if he weren't rehired by the new HC down there...

I'd imagine that Tom Allen at least knows of him...

Personally..., I like the Ole' Miss coach (Kevin Smith) better if Southern recruiting is main criteria...

Last edited:
Gillespie from UT might be an interesting one with the late coaching change in Knoxville

He's at North Carolina...

Graham is the most recent RB coach at TN.

Supposedly they've rifted the entire staff down there (TN), so he, theoretically, is available...

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
Jay Boulware is available. Was not retained by Sarkisian from Herman’s former staff. Guy has coached RBs everywhere (and TEs and STC). Has P5 experience for close to 15 years and a lot of connections.

Here's an article about him from when he was moving from OU to Texas... :

In theory he might give us a viable recruiter down in Texas but historically it's tough for anybody not named Oklahoma to pull many "difference makers" out of Texas... The local Texas schools seem to have the state pretty.. well locked down...

I think I'd lean towards a Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, and eastern seaboard recruiter first over a purely Texas guy (that's just my "opinion" [and I'm sticking to it 😉]...).

Last edited:
Here's a guy I missed initially but fits all the parameters:

Probably would be really tough to pry him away from Ole'Miss but it might be worth the $$$$$ to get him on staff...

Here's an SI article about Derrick Nix:

He's just moved up near the top of my personal list... (which most likely means we'll never see him here🙄😉)...

Here's a 2016 article about him (sounds like a good fit [but I doubt he wants to leave Ole'Miss]...). :

Last edited:
Reactions: iulb and red hornet
I wonder if TA doubles down and goes for another ace recruiter in the south as RB coach.

I don't know whether he's considered an Ace Recruiter yet but if we're looking to upgrade our recruiting in Georgia this "might" be the guy who could help us:

He just was involved in bringing in a good class for Georgia Tech..., and still has some "name recognition" from his playing days with the high school coaches down there...; now..., whether that translates to being welcomed with open arms into their offices after he moves up here remains an open question...

He also "might" have a few connections in that land of recruiting dreams known as Texas...

Whether he's a good "fit" here..., or would even consider leaving his alma mater to come here..., remains to be seen...

Last edited:
For discussion purposes, I wonder how selective this processes is for both the school and the candidates. Often it seems the hire is relatively quick.

Reactions: 76-1
For discussion purposes, I wonder how selective this processes is for both the school and the candidates. Often it seems the hire is relatively quick.

This is just my opinion (( and it's the only been 10 days since the opening was made public)) but it seems to me this is a hire that TA is giving a serious amount of due diligence to...; as I mentioned above in this thread, there's a Lot of moving parts attached to this hire... My guess is that this time around just being a great recruiter and a good guy won't be enough...

Last edited:
I figure Warren will be introduced as DC sometime this week.

Wouldn't be surprised if, at some point during that presser, CTA is asked about how the search for the new RB coach is going. My guess is that he would make an excuse (e.g., "Today is all about our new DC") to politely avoid answering that question.

If he is asked about progress in finding a new RB coach, I'll be both reading his body language and reading between the lines in his reply to try to get an idea of how long this thing is going to play out . . . because if about a couple weeks from now half this board is complaining that we haven't heard anything new, I will in contrast hardly be able to contain my excitement wondering if CTA is on the verge of defying what seems to be almost impossible odds to pull in the ultimate (in my mind anyway) dream hire.

I figure Warren will be introduced as DC sometime this week.

Wouldn't be surprised if, at some point during that presser, CTA is asked about how the search for the new RB coach is going. My guess is that he would make an excuse (e.g., "Today is all about our new DC") to politely avoid answering that question.

If he is asked about progress in finding a new RB coach, I'll be both reading his body language and reading between the lines in his reply to try to get an idea of how long this thing is going to play out . . . because if about a couple weeks from now half this board is complaining that we haven't heard anything new, I will in contrast hardly be able to contain my excitement wondering if CTA is on the verge of defying what seems to be almost impossible odds to pull in the ultimate (in my mind anyway) dream hire.

I have little doubt that CTA will hire someone that is not known for his recruiting prowless.

Indiana is becoming a school where coaches want to come to. CTA is creating a culture where good coaches come to and if you show that you're good at your job, you will get hired for a better job if that's what you want.

We're gonna get someone good.

Deland McCullough????? If so that would be a big get....

That would be a monster Big get if true... Seems like more than a bit of a stretch... Nice rumor though... I mean if there has to be one it may as well be a top of the line one...😉 Here's hoping it's true...

//Looks like it's coming from a potentially trustworthy type... I mean I have to LIKE a poster with the American flag as his avatar...😀//

Last edited:
We just have to wait and see who coach Allen pulls in. He has surprised people with previous hires so I expect we will be enthused about who the new RB coach will be. I have no inside info just trust in coach Allen to bring good things to IUFB.

That would be a monster Big get if true... Seems like more than a bit of a stretch... Nice rumor though... I mean if there has to be one it may as well be a top of the line one...😉 Here's hoping it's true...

//Looks like it's coming from a potentially trustworthy type... I mean I have to LIKE a poster with the American flag as his avatar...😀//
Patience......😉

Patience......😉
Just playing along: why would he come back to IU after 2 straight SB’s?

-Yes, perhaps as a co-OC, or at least Run game coordinator?

-Got good experience but guys in the pros don’t listen, he likes college level who are more coach able?

-Not quite the same grind or pressure in D1 and pro in NFL? (Like no life during the season?)

-Really loved IU and now that they are Top 10 good and have spot open he’d consider it?

okay, what am I missing bc fee lime I tried to get in his shoes and not sure how this move would make sense? 🤔

Reactions: vesuvius13

-Got good experience but guys in the pros don’t listen, he likes college level who are more coach able?

-Not quite the same grind or pressure in D1 and pro in NFL? (Like no life during the season?)

-Really loved IU and now that they are Top 10 good and have spot open he’d consider it?

okay, what am I missing bc fee lime I tried to get in his shoes and not sure how this move would make sense? 🤔

C.H.E. (of the Flag 🇺🇸 avatar) has already said the coach in question will be coming back as Assistant Head Coach... He was very specific...

If it's who we hope it is then my guess would be that A) he and his family really like Bloomington and B) he sees this move as a springboard to a eventual Head Coaching position...

It's pretty clear that the NFL, in spite of the Rooney Rule is still a good ole' boys club... That and nobody is making the jump from RB Coach to NFL Head Coach no matter who you are... The best route for our presumed hero to a top spot in the NFL is back through college ball as an Assistant Head Coach 4-5 years..., to a College Head Coach slot 4-5 years..., to an NFL Head Coaching position Forever...😉 ("If" that's his ultimate goal...)...

There's even (potentially) more to this... He may see this as an opportunity to be able watch at least two of his sons (2022 S & 2023 CB) or even all three play football here (I "think" ones a DB over at M of O right now)... And that would even be a bigger deal atop a Big deal...😀😎😀

I really LIKE this rumor... 😉🇺🇸

Last edited:

Well, first of all, let me say , apparently nothing has been decided at this point.
I wouldn’t rule anyone in or out right now.
That said, there are a number of reasons someone might want to return to college.
Position coaches salaries in the NFL are a bit of a secret but consensus is about 150-500, would a college team be willing to pay more ? Maybe. Also opportunity to advance your career ie coordinator or HC might be easier from the college ranks. Chiefs OC Bienemy keeps getting passed over when he is seemingly a great HC candidate.
Perhaps a coach prefers working with , let’s say, more malleable students. On the college level where players aren’t making huge salaries actual coaching of players is somewhat easier.
I’m just throwing out a few possibilities, and not saying any NFL coach will or won’t happen, but I would bet on a good hire one way or another.

Last edited:
To be clear, if the possible person rumored were true, I would welcome him back. Hart has “Asst HC/RB” title, but not sure how closer to HC vs RB coach that is?

I will trust Tom Allen is going to bring in a good one regardless. But to add to con

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well, first of all, let me say , apparently nothing has been decided at this point.
I wouldn’t rule anyone in or out right now.
That said, there are a number of reasons someone might want to return to college.
Position coaches salaries in the NFL are a bit of a secret but consensus is about 150-500, would a college team be willing to pay more ? Maybe. Also opportunity to advance your career ie coordinator or HC might be easier from the college ranks. Chiefs OC Bienemy keeps getting passed over when he is seemingly a great HC candidate.
Perhaps a coach prefers working with , let’s say, more malleable students. On the college level where players aren’t making huge salaries actual coaching of players is somewhat easier.
I’m just throwing out a few possibilities, and not saying any NFL coach will or won’t happen, but I would bet on a good hire one way or another.

Didn't Coach Knight say that he couldn't imagine telling Moses Malone to "get the lead out"?

C.H.E. (of the Flag 🇺🇸 avatar) has already said the coach in question will be coming back as Assistant Head Coach... He was very specific...

If it's who we hope it is then my guess would be that A) he and his family really like Bloomington and B) he sees this move as a springboard to a eventual Head Coaching position...

It's pretty clear that the NFL, in spite of the Rooney Rule is still a good ole' boys club... That and nobody is making the jump from RB Coach to NFL Head Coach no matter who you are... The best route for our presumed hero to a top spot in the NFL is back through college ball as an Assistant Head Coach 4-5 years..., to a College Head Coach slot 4-5 years..., to an NFL Head Coaching position Forever...😉 ("If" that's his ultimate goal...)...

There's even (potentially) more to this... He may see this as an opportunity to be able watch at least two of his sons (2022 S & 2023 CB) or even all three play football here (I "think" ones a DB over at M of O right now)... And that would even be a bigger deal atop a Big deal...😀😎😀

I really LIKE this rumor... 😉🇺🇸
One other aspect of this is that there only 32 NFL teams. That seriously limits the opportunities for moving up a step. There are maybe 100 colleges or so that could offer an opportunity to step up into an OC or possibly HC job. Ton more opportunity.

If you want to know what is going on listen to your 16y/o and his buddies. They were getting “snaps” from McCullough’s sons 2-3 weeks ago about a possible move.

Regardless it feels like a home run hire for Allen and the Hoosiers.
That’s because it is a home run hire! (And good to have your ear to the ground too!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT