ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
CTA gets a seven-year contract for $3.9 million a year! Double the salary! These are Crean-like numbers. I didn’t think Fred glass would do that again. Kind of speechless right now.

CTA gets a seven-year contract for $3.9 million a year! Double the salary! These are Crean-like numbers. I didn’t think Fred glass would do that again. Kind of speechless right now.
I’m not sure if you think this is a good thing or a bad thing. IMO it’s important. CTA was at the bottom of the B1G in salary and he took IU to an 8 win season and bowl game. His name was mentioned in other openings. I think it was obvious he needed to be paid. I’d expect assistants to get a big bump too.

I’m not sure if you think this is a good thing or a bad thing. IMO it’s important. CTA was at the bottom of the B1G in salary and he took IU to an 8 win season and bowl game. His name was mentioned in other openings. I think it was obvious he needed to be paid. I’d expect assistants to get a big bump too.

Allen is still at the bottom of the B1G in the conference even with the raise. The size of the raise was more of a reflection of how underpaid Allen was, and doesn’t represent an exorbitant amount n comparison to the rest of the conference.

To make a Crean comparison, Allen would have needed to get a Brohm like raise

I can’t understand why people are shocked by this figure.

People in Indiana think so small.
In context of the conference its in the range, but without that context it’s a pretty large bump for a coach taking over a bowl team and then having one bowl season in three. Ill admit I was surprised by it.

Reactions: toastedbread

I don't have a problem with it in principle. The main questions I have are theoretical; e.g. do you reward a coach after 1 successful season? Do you wait until a coach is being contacted from other suitors before paying the big dough?

My other concern is how much of the success was due to KD as opposed to TA?

In context of the conference its in the range, but without that context it’s a pretty large bump for a coach taking over a bowl team and then having one bowl season in three. Ill admit I was a bit surprised by it.

FYI whatever you heard Tom Allen was not going to FSU.

The part I don't quite understand is why does 1 successful season=a 7 year guarantee? That a lot of time for things to go horribly wrong. It's not like that protects you if a coach is dominating either? What kind of money would prospective employers have to pay IU? Speaking of small thinking, a bowl birth should be the minimum goal for this program. I strenuously disagree with the idea of adding a year to the contract for each bowl year. How about some creativity? 10 years and a 10 mil bonus for the Rose Bowl? Winning the big 10? The idea that a bowl is somehow a successful season is the epitome of low expectations. I doubt anyone would be thrilled if we are sitting at 6-6 right now with the schedule we've played.

Edit: As an aside, there is no evidence that Allen was being seriously considered by anyone. Did we basically just pay him a bunch for no reason? How are we protected if we won the Rose bowl next year? He's not going to stay just because you raised his salary to 3.9mil the year prior. 500k extra for the staff is peanuts btw. If I'm TA, I'm giving KD a piece of my raise to keep him here.

I don't have a problem with it in principle. The main questions I have are theoretical; e.g. do you reward a coach after 1 successful season? Do you wait until a coach is being contacted from other suitors before paying the big dough?

A lot of it was KD but TA recruited him and Im sure lobbied for the $$ to get him here so to me that is a credit to TA not a negative.

CTA hired DeBoer. CTA is responsible for our 8-4 season with a young team. He deserves to be paid what the rest of the conference coaches are paid.

The part I don't quite understand is why does 1 successful season=a 7 year guarantee? That a lot of time for things to go horribly wrong. It's not like that protects you if a coach is dominating either? What kind of money would prospective employers have to pay IU? Speaking of small thinking, a bowl birth should be the minimum goal for this program. I strenuously disagree with the idea of adding a year to the contract for each bowl year. How about some creativity? 10 years and a 10 mil bonus for the Rose Bowl? Winning the big 10? The idea that a bowl is somehow a successful season is the epitome of low expectations. I doubt anyone would be thrilled if we are sitting at 6-6 right now with the schedule we've played.

Edit: As an aside, there is no evidence that Allen was being seriously considered by anyone. Did we basically just pay him a bunch for no reason? How are we protected if we won the Rose bowl next year? He's not going to stay just because you raised his salary to 3.9mil the year prior. 500k extra for the staff is peanuts btw. If I'm TA, I'm giving KD a piece of my raise to keep him here.
It isn't based on just one year but on the two recruiting classes he brought in that are higher than other classes this century. This season shows the upswing in the Hoosiers and how close they were to being 10-2 this season. You and others want to diminish this season and ignoring years when IU failed against the teams this team beat. This contract lets recruits know they will have their coaches for the years when they come to IU.

Allen is still the 13th paid coach in the B1G so get over criticizing this move.

This is why Allen got a raise and rightfully so. I'm just disappointed in the asst. $$$ addition and think it should be higher.

• Led IU to its best regular season in 26 years (8-4).
    • Eight wins ties for the third most in school history, trailing only the 1945 and 1967 Big Ten Championship teams (each of which won 9).
    • First winning Big Ten season in 26 years (only sixth in the last 50 years).
    • First winning regular season in 12 years.
    • First four conference game win streak in 26 years, second most ever and only seventh time in school history.
    • First victory over Nebraska in 60 years.
    • Victory over Purdue at Ross-Ade Stadium (IU's fifth Old Oaken Bucket win in seven years).
  • IU Football was nationally ranked for the first time in 25 years, breaking the oldest such drought in the country, now held by Purdue (2007).
  • With one left to play, already has more wins (18) in his first three years as head coach than anyone in IU Football history (closest second is 14).
  • Qualified IU for just its fourth bowl game in 25 years (third in the last five years), two of which he's led the program as either Defensive Coordinator or Head Coach.
  • Indiana ranks 38th nationally in total defense and 34th nationally in total offense, making it one of only three Big Ten programs to rank in the top 40 nationally in both categories (the other two being respective East and West Big Ten Division Champions Ohio State and Wisconsin).
  • Has accomplished this despite season-ending injuries to two of IU's most valuable players: starting quarterback Michael Penix, Jr. (who was twice named B1G Freshman of the Week before his injury) and four-year starting left tackle Coy Cronk (who in addition to starting every game of his career –40, was also a Freshman All-American and on this year's preseason Outland Trophy Watch List for the Lineman of the Year).
  • Has accomplished this despite having a very young team with 80 of the 111 players being freshmen or sophomores in their eligibility, making IU the third youngest team in the Big Ten and 14th youngest nationally.
  • His first two recruiting classes were the two highest-ranked in IU Football history and include the two highest-ranked individual Indiana Football recruits in history and four of the top six players from Indiana.
  • That the vast majority of the team are freshmen and sophomores and the last two recruiting classes are the highest-ranked in IU history portend very well for the future of the program.
  • A school-record 29 players earned Academic All-Big Ten honors last year.

I’ve been watching IU football for 30+ years. This contract is the first time that Indiana is showing they’re all in on football. Indiana gets 60+ million from big ten network. It’s a drop in the bucket financially. Anybody second-guessing his contract does not see the big picture in my opinion. Maybe it’s just people looking for something to gripe about.

I've been an IU fan since I was 8 years old (over 50 years) and even bigger fan since graduating from IU in 1985. I find it unbelievable that any IU fan is dissing this contract for Coach Allen. For years IU fans have complained that IU will never be good unless they find a way to get a good coach. I've also heard complaints that IU changes coaches too often and doesn't allow a coach to build a program. Yet, the IU Administration has set up Coach Allen with a long term contract and at base conference pay; BASE PAY.

I graduated IU in 1985 and I've been watching IU football for well over 40 years. ANYONE who does not recognize this IU football team is much, much better and much different from those since the Mallory years . . . well, I have no words. Despite what anyone may think of IU's schedule this year, clearly IU has found ways to piss away close games to weaker teams for years. Not This Year ! This team has battled injuries and adversity and managed to win 8, yes 8 games for the first time in 25 years. This IU football team reminds me of some of Coach Mallory's best teams (perhaps even better). For years, I've said I wish IU had never fired Coach Mallory; didn't recognize what a really good coach he really was. IU cannot afford to make the same mistake with Coach Allen. I think Coach Mallory would say, "By God . . . we are not gonna let that happen". Pay The Man and let's see what he can do moving forward. It is not like IU just threw the entire school budget at their 3rd year football coach. If I understand correctly the final years of his contract are only guaranteed at 50%. I hope we all look back on this as the day/year IU turned a corner and became a respectable football program instead of a perennial bottom dweller.

Last edited:
Often part of the coaches negotiations is a salary bump for assistant coaches.

I think people are ignoring that only 3 years are guaranteed. The last 4 are at 50%.... which is similar to a full 5-year deal at 100%.... I think it’s smart and provides a way out for the School if things change. Look, is it big money? Yes. Is it big in comparison to what the school gets from the conference, advertisement, sales, etc? No. So are you arguing for “Corporations” keeping a bigger piece of the pie? If the money is there then I’m glad it is being spread around. Can’t wait until the players get a piece.

I’m not accustom to coming to these boards and people arguing for Corporate America. I know it is a University but come on... these are tax free corporations today.

Often part of the coaches negotiations is a salary bump for assistant coaches.
I wonder how much wiscy spent on consultants for this championship game??? Barry prolly spent a boatload. We need a bigger assistant pool!

This is why Allen got a raise and rightfully so. I'm just disappointed in the asst. $$$ addition and think it should be higher.

• Eight wins ties for the third most in school history, trailing only the 1945 and 1967 Big Ten Championship teams (each of which won 9).
    • First four conference game win streak in 26 years, second most ever and only seventh time in school history.
    • Victory over Purdue at Ross-Ade Stadium (IU's fifth Old Oaken Bucket win in seven years).
  • IU Football was nationally ranked for the first time in 25 years, breaking the oldest such drought in the country, now held by Purdue (2007).
  • With one left to play, already has more wins (18) in his first three years as head coach than anyone in IU Football history (closest second is 14).
  • Qualified IU for just its fourth bowl game in 25 years (third in the last five years), two of which he's led the program as either Defensive Coordinator or Head Coach.
  • Indiana ranks 38th nationally in total defense and 34th nationally in total offense, making it one of only three Big Ten programs to rank in the top 40 nationally in both categories (the other two being respective East and West Big Ten Division Champions Ohio State and Wisconsin).
  • Has accomplished this despite season-ending injuries to two of IU's most valuable players: starting quarterback Michael Penix, Jr. (who was twice named B1G Freshman of the Week before his injury) and four-year starting left tackle Coy Cronk (who in addition to starting every game of his career –40, was also a Freshman All-American and on this year's preseason Outland Trophy Watch List for the Lineman of the Year).
  • Has accomplished this despite having a very young team with 80 of the 111 players being freshmen or sophomores in their eligibility, making IU the third youngest team in the Big Ten and 14th youngest nationally.
  • His first two recruiting classes were the two highest-ranked in IU Football history and include the two highest-ranked individual Indiana Football recruits in history and four of the top six players from Indiana.
  • That the vast majority of the team are freshmen and sophomores and the last two recruiting classes are the highest-ranked in IU history portend very well for the future of the program.
I’m just curious what site is ranking the ‘18/19 classes higher than ‘13/14?

But why go 7 years? Especially if the coach wasn't in demand? I look what happened with the former basketball coach and it makes me nervous.

But why go 7 years? Especially if the coach wasn't in demand? I look what happened with the former basketball coach and it makes me nervous.
You cant have a coach with 3 years or less under contract unless you are pretty sure you might get rid of him. If it had been a 5 year deal then you will be redoing it 2 years from now.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
I can’t understand why people are shocked by this figure.

People in Indiana think so small.
It’s a generational farming thing passed down through the ages, the smallness of mind with its resultant dimness of thought. We just deal with it and go about our way in humble adoration of the more masterful minds of the genetically blessed. “I’m a Hoosier!”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT