ADVERTISEMENT

Hendershot suspended immediately and indefinitely

Morbid humor someone texted out to an IU group chat: “All good teams have to have a few felons on it don’t they?”

Maybe at FSU, the U or MSU? But I don’t think IU ever wants a national championship enough to go down that path.

Does anyone think “immediately & indefinitely” has any chance of being reinstated?

Does anyone think “immediately & indefinitely” has any chance of being reinstated?
Words matter. They didn't say "permanent".

That said, his football status is the least of my concerns. A felony conviction is life ruining. He needs to accept the consequences of his actions, but nothing I've seen rises to felony level.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
This was coming regardless.
Morbid humor someone texted out to an IU group chat: “All good teams have to have a few felons on it don’t they?”

Maybe at FSU, the U or MSU? But I don’t think IU ever wants a national championship enough to go down that path.

Yes. Might be a small chance but still a chance.

Reactions: kpbucks4454

That said, his football status is the least of my concerns. A felony conviction is life ruining. He needs to accept the consequences of his actions, but nothing I've seen rises to felony level.
They have to complete the obligatory investigation before they cut him loose from the program. Summary separations aren't the norm these days.

What does the IU SBoR say about this? Does he have be expelled from school to lose his schollie?

They have to complete the obligatory investigation before they cut him loose from the program. Summary separations aren't the norm these days.
Probably so. Killjoy.
What does the IU SBoR say about this? Does he have be expelled from school to lose his schollie?
No idea. My guess is there's a higher standard for expulsion than losing the scholly. SBoR is for kids who get cut for reasons beyond their control. I don't this this situation qualifies. No doubt some shyster will make a few bucks if there's a dispute.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
My guess is there's a higher standard for expulsion than losing the scholly.
You think he stays in school after this?

If the allegations are true, I don't think IU wants the guy on campus any more . . . the potential liability would be very difficult to manage, and impossible to insure against . . . .

SBoR is for kids who get cut for reasons beyond their control. I don't this this situation qualifies.
Yep:
"Scholarship terms are not reduced unless the student-athlete voluntarily leaves the team, becomes ineligible, or violates a university or department policy or team rule. Any reduction of a scholarship's terms may be appealed to an independent panel of faculty members whose decision on the matter is binding and final."

Reactions: vesuvius13
Good lord . . . the kid will go to OSU and come back and score 3 TDs against IU? You're outta your mind . . .

OSU did the right thing when felony charges were filed against two players, one a projected starters . . .

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...o-state-football-team-rape-kidnapping-charges
You think rape and kidnapping are on par with this?

You're outta your mind.

O$U and MSU have had this type of thing happen many times and players still played. It's not trashing the program to point out that we have higher standards.

Hope not.

There will be a lot to play out. First off the investigation and does her claims as to what happen hold up during the investigation. Just because you are CHARGED with something doesn't mean you will be CONVICTED of such charge. Then there will be IU's investigation. Remember, Ellison was never charged or convicted by police or a court, but yet the charge against him stuck with the University. So the right thing was done. You suspend the player indefinitely and let it all play out. If he's found innocent by the court and the university, then I see no reason why he can't come back and play.

But make no mistake, the investigations by all parties will be in depth. What both sides desire here is that IF he did as she indicates then proper punishment will be administered beyond a suspension from the team and the university. But IF he didn't do what he's being accused of, then he doesn't suffer unnecessarily. Sadly though, in the court of public opinion and many board posters, he's already marked for life, whether he's innocent or guilty, and that's a shame.

Obviously I mean if he is found guilty of the charges.
You mean "when' he's found guilty.

In the case of purely he said/she said, without any other evidence either way, you know who they're going to believe.

In the case of purely he said/she said, without any other evidence either way, you know who they're going to believe.
That's how it is when it comes to charging, but not necessarily when it comes to actually prosecuting the case.

You mean "when' he's found guilty.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Did you see the girlfriend's facebook post? She's clearly not "out to get him." I don't think the details are in dispute, but we shall see.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Did you see the girlfriend's facebook post? She's clearly not "out to get him." I don't think the details are in dispute, but we shall see.
I'm not sure what you're talking about? I never said she was 'out to get him'.

The details will most definitely be in dispute - you can count on it.

Just about as good as a result as he could expect.

Now the question is how long is his suspension in games?

Unfortunately her details and the evidence didn't match up completely. Now how do I know that? I just do. I can't prove it in writing or anything so you don't have to believe me. But there were a couple details that she provided that he admitted too and matched up, so thus the charge of misdemeanor domestic battery. Everything else was dropped. It'll probably hurt him in the long run (NFL draft prospect) more than it will in the present. I'm expecting a 2 game suspension, but it could go as high as 3 or 4 games if the University so inclines to push it, we shall see. And he will do the required counseling that will be assigned to him. But he will play this season, as long as he remains healthy to do so.

Unfortunately her details and the evidence didn't match up completely. Now how do I know that? I just do. I can't prove it in writing or anything so you don't have to believe me. But there were a couple details that she provided that he admitted too and matched up, so thus the charge of misdemeanor domestic battery. Everything else was dropped. It'll probably hurt him in the long run (NFL draft prospect) more than it will in the present. I'm expecting a 2 game suspension, but it could go as high as 3 or 4 games if the University so inclines to push it, we shall see. And he will do the required counseling that will be assigned to him. But he will play this season, as long as he remains healthy to do so.

It "seems" like that was the updated talk that it wasn't an ideal situation of course, but maybe not quite the initial reports of a serious domestic abuse scenario. If that's the case, I think he still needs to miss a few games for sure (missing WI game #1 will sting) but when it's not a horrific crime (rape, violent attack, armed robbery, etc.) then I like to see all players have a shot at redemption. I don't think Hendershot will blow a second opportunity after learning from this. Don't know him, that's my own estimation only.

We can, this isn
Why can’t we have nice things?
This exact sentence was posted when he was 1st arrested. We can have nice things, & this isn't necessarily permanent. Doesn't necessarily mean he won't be on the team & playing this fall.

Unfortunately her details and the evidence didn't match up completely. Now how do I know that? I just do. I can't prove it in writing or anything so you don't have to believe me. But there were a couple details that she provided that he admitted too and matched up, so thus the charge of misdemeanor domestic battery. Everything else was dropped.
Everything except the trespass charge was dropped. No domestic battery or anything else.

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2020/06/hendershot-pleads-guilty-to-trespass-charge/

Indiana tight end Peyton Hendershot pleaded guilty to misdemeanor criminal trespass Tuesday in Monroe County Court.

Hendershot was facing three other misdemeanors in connection to a February dispute with an ex-girlfriend, including domestic battery, criminal conversion, and criminal mischief.

The latter three charges were dismissed as part of his plea agreement. Hendershot was sentenced to one year probation for the trespass offense, which is a Class A misdemeanor. He is also required to receive a mental health evaluation and participate in a batterers treatment program.
He'll be on a short leash, but he came out pretty darn well. Let's hope this was an outlier and he smartens up.

Everything except the trespass charge was dropped. No domestic battery or anything else.

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2020/06/hendershot-pleads-guilty-to-trespass-charge/

Indiana tight end Peyton Hendershot pleaded guilty to misdemeanor criminal trespass Tuesday in Monroe County Court.

Hendershot was facing three other misdemeanors in connection to a February dispute with an ex-girlfriend, including domestic battery, criminal conversion, and criminal mischief.

The latter three charges were dismissed as part of his plea agreement. Hendershot was sentenced to one year probation for the trespass offense, which is a Class A misdemeanor. He is also required to receive a mental health evaluation and participate in a batterers treatment program.
He'll be on a short leash, but he came out pretty darn well. Let's hope this was an outlier and he smartens up.

Interesting that the battery charge was dropped but he still must "participate in a batterers treatment program"

Seems contradictory to me.

Interesting that the battery charge was dropped but he still must "participate in a batterers treatment program"

Seems contradictory to me.
Terms of probation don't necessarily line up with the final charges, but they usually do have some relationship to the incident. Oftentimes you will see a DWI plead down to reckless driving, but some kind of alcohol education or treatment will be imposed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT