ADVERTISEMENT

Hello Fellow Hoosiers

Jan 4, 2018
I have been a lurker here and peeg's for a very long long time as well as few other forums of Sports teams I like. I rarely post anywhere as...well I guess I'm just smarter than that. I get frustrated to, I just don't see the purpose of blowing off steam to the fanbase and players.
However I wanted to share this with you all, as a reminder to some and hopefully a little understanding from others.

My first game I attended at IU was against Northwestern in 76. IU basketball became such a passion in my life from that moment on. I was a huge Coach Knight fan. I watched him put together some wonderful teams. I also seen some pretty stinker teams as well. Coach Knight played his system and though he may have varied from it slightly to cover up a teams deficiencies, he always stayed true to his system.

Coach Miller is the same kind of Coach. I believe in my heart, he will become a great coach at IU.
I believe that because, he is staying true to his system. Even though the pieces he has right now are square pegs in round holes.

Please don't blame our players because they are not the best suited for coaches style. They are trying and trust me they don't want to lose anymore than we want them to. Right now they are frustrated, unsure of themselves and the style of ball they are playing. They may not ever get it this year. You know what, that's ok. This is not about this year, this is about next year and the year after.
It is about putting a team together over the next few years that may just hang another banner.

I disagree, the biggest issue I see from this team is the lack of effort, that has nothing to do with any "style" a coach might want his players to play.

We've got some real lazy guys on this team... I'll leave it to you to figure out who I'm talking about.

I disagree, the biggest issue I see from this team is the lack of effort, that has nothing to do with any "style" a coach might want his players to play.

We've got some real lazy guys on this team... I'll leave it to you to figure out who I'm talking about.
There are a couple guys I thought would kick ass and play at the next level. As it is, I don't they would get picked at a pick up game at the Y.

Reactions: VanHoosier

I completely agree.
I get furious every time I watch Davis lope down the court when getting back on defense.
If I were Archie I would set his a$$ on the bench until he starts running as hard as McRoberts does on every play.
And Davis would be just the beginning.
Until Green & Johnson could stop making passes to the opposing team, they would not see the court except from the bench.
If they don't want to play hard, they shouldn't be on the court.

Some guys are quiet. Some are feisty. But no matter the case, there's no anger or REAL accountability. Just "my bads" and head shakes. I think a lot of it is due to lack of confidence in the system and trying to do as coach says. There may be other reasons but the team would be better suited being overly aggressive in playing the system as each player 'thinks' they know how at this point, and then fixing the mistakes as they come. You won't run it perfect now by any means but if you run hard at what you think you do know, then the mistakes can be reviewed/discussed and fixed over time. Right now they're attempting but......it's missing a belief mentality. It comes off looking halfhearted but I don't think it's necessarily what's happening.

Reactions: cc/water

I thought the last game was lost due to effort and not understanding that blocking out all players was important.

CAM talks about toughness. Mental toughness is our biggest weakness. Lack of focus is mental weakness. We see that when a nonchalant pass at the top of the key is stolen for a dunk or not understanding the need to block out. Green literally hands the ball to the other team at least once per game. Weak.

My son quoted me on Twitter.. "They're stupid. They struggle because they are stupid!" I could have substituted weak instead of stupid. Stupid still works. It is hard to fix stupid or weak. Our players played stupid last year and they haven't played much smarter this year. We graduate 3 mentally weak players. I am hopeful we haven't recruited more of these

Reactions: BigMobe
The title of this made me think of this:

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.jpg

I have been a lurker here and peeg's for a very long long time as well as few other forums of Sports teams I like. I rarely post anywhere as...well I guess I'm just smarter than that. I get frustrated to, I just don't see the purpose of blowing off steam to the fanbase and players.
However I wanted to share this with you all, as a reminder to some and hopefully a little understanding from others.

My first game I attended at IU was against Northwestern in 76. IU basketball became such a passion in my life from that moment on. I was a huge Coach Knight fan. I watched him put together some wonderful teams. I also seen some pretty stinker teams as well. Coach Knight played his system and though he may have varied from it slightly to cover up a teams deficiencies, he always stayed true to his system.

Coach Miller is the same kind of Coach. I believe in my heart, he will become a great coach at IU.
I believe that because, he is staying true to his system. Even though the pieces he has right now are square pegs in round holes.

Please don't blame our players because they are not the best suited for coaches style. They are trying and trust me they don't want to lose anymore than we want them to. Right now they are frustrated, unsure of themselves and the style of ball they are playing. They may not ever get it this year. You know what, that's ok. This is not about this year, this is about next year and the year after.
It is about putting a team together over the next few years that may just hang another banner.

First of all, great first post.

I do appreciate your confidence in and empathy for the kids. These boards can be rough on them during frustrating times. Your insight is as good as any other here, and frankly as frustrated as I am...I hope you are right.

Thanks for the kind words about kids we all want to see be happy and do well.

I thought the last game was lost due to effort and not understanding that blocking out all players was important.

CAM talks about toughness. Mental toughness is our biggest weakness. Lack of focus is mental weakness. We see that when a nonchalant pass at the top of the key is stolen for a dunk or not understanding the need to block out. Green literally hands the ball to the other team at least once per game. Weak.

My son quoted me on Twitter.. "They're stupid. They struggle because they are stupid!" I could have substituted weak instead of stupid. Stupid still works. It is hard to fix stupid or weak. Our players played stupid last year and they haven't played much smarter this year. We graduate 3 mentally weak players. I am hopeful we haven't recruited more of these

Again who will be Millered? I don't see Archie coaching during the game. This isn't Clappy, so I think there will be more cuts.

Good post. One tangible consideration of your point is the 3 point percentage. I could point to the obvious that Durham isn't a shooter, and yet there he is sometimes jacking long balls. Miller cannot really achieve inside-outside without the outside part taking shape.

On one hand I ask, why do they keep shooting threes when they can't make them? Why isn't Archie using more movement, curls, cross cuts, back cuts, etc. to get his guards closer shots? But as you point out, the system may be alright once the right personnel are in it. For example, a kid who knows how to move to an open spot when a defender turns his head to the post for help.

I don't know that Miller isn't under coaching right now, but with more talent and effort, a simple approach to offense may be sufficient.

Defensively however, I don't see the principles of good defense being applied as much as I'd like at this point in the season. The effort has been inconsistent, but there are also a lot of correctable things they are doing wrong.

We have no choice but to wait a year to see if things improve. Oddly enough, Crean is as good an example as any that hard work pays off. He managed to go from cellar dweller to Big Ten champs. No reason to think Miller can't get there without as far to go.

Reactions: iulb
Good post. One tangible consideration of your point is the 3 point percentage. I could point to the obvious that Durham isn't a shooter, and yet there he is sometimes jacking long balls. Miller cannot really achieve inside-outside without the outside part taking shape.

On one hand I ask, why do they keep shooting threes when they can't make them? Why isn't Archie using more movement, curls, cross cuts, back cuts, etc. to get his guards closer shots? But as you point out, the system may be alright once the right personnel are in it. For example, a kid who knows how to move to an open spot when a defender turns his head to the post for help.

I don't know that Miller isn't under coaching right now, but with more talent and effort, a simple approach to offense may be sufficient.

Defensively however, I don't see the principles of good defense being applied as much as I'd like at this point in the season. The effort has been inconsistent, but there are also a lot of correctable things they are doing wrong.

We have no choice but to wait a year to see if things improve. Oddly enough, Crean is as good an example as any that hard work pays off. He managed to go from cellar dweller to Big Ten champs. No reason to think Miller can't get there without as far to go.
Cody Zeller fell in his lap.

My kid is buddies with a player on the IU roster. They went to high school together...I've met the kid (he's been over to the house) and he's a good kid for sure...anyways...talking to my son yesterday I asked about his buddy (the one on the squad) and he said:

"Bart* says that Crean was a really good coach, but he says Miller is a great coach...next level."

I think, collectively (as it were)...we thought the transition might be an easier one...from Crean to Miller. It does not appear to be the case. I'm going to sit tight and watch the process over the next three seasons (this being season #1).

* Bart is a pseudonym of course.

I’ve rarely seen anyone diss people who post on boards in their first message... on a board.

I just don't see the point. The only time I would even consider it, it would have nothing to do with how they play the game, but how they represent the University.

I just don't see the point. The only time I would even consider it, it would have nothing to do with how they play the game, but how they represent the University.
My point is that you have said you were smarter than people who write on boards. Like us. Who are not playing the game or representing the University.

My point is that you have said you were smarter than people who write on boards. Like us. Who are not playing the game or representing the University.

You are so right. It is so much smarter to post your deep inner hate for Player X, after he does not meet your expectations on the court. And I could have had a V8

Well done and welcome. Board is fun for the most part. Some posters take themselves too seriously from time to time but it's a good group.
Respectfully,

Again who will be Millered? I don't see Archie coaching during the game. This isn't Clappy, so I think there will be more cuts.
Purdue trolls like yourself don't understand that there will likely be players that want to transfer. I hope players that aren't happy do leave. Anyone that won't adapt to CAM's methods will do themselves a favor and transfer. If they prefer Crean, then they are in the wrong place. There will be no cuts, but I do expect people to leave.

Now go back to your Purdue board.

You are so right. It is so much smarter to post your deep inner hate for Player X, after he does not meet your expectations on the court. And I could have had a V8
And what makes you think I post my deep hate of any player? Why do you lurker project this onto posters? You do feel superior to posters. Well, nice that we provide you with entertainment over the years so that you can feel so smug.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT