ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing Kentucky next

Egg Shen

Benchwarmer
Mar 24, 2017
A 2018 recruit was out "bid" by an unnamed NIKE rep who negotiated with AAU director Jide Sopido to place a future recruit in a specific school over two schools that are sponsored by Adidas. Dont shoot the messenger on this one. Could be rumor but hearing this out of a Maryland message board.

9gPmoR0.gif

Can Calpari finally be caught? Has Cal has paid off friends in NCAA headquarters to look the other way? But he can't control the FBI. Reminds me of The Cartel in 3Rd world country with bought off police and government officials, or Saddam with UN Weapons Inspectors, with fresh tire tracks leaving town, always one-step-ahead. Old Rick Pitino thought he was too slick and bulletproof, he never figured the FBI would have a sting operation going for college basketball athletes. Now his legacy and future has been destroyed. Should the Basketball HOF "strip" Pitino from his honor and membership? Karen Sypher says "Karma".

Last edited:
I've always thought that Cal was too smart for the NCAA to ever get caught doing anything illegal again. That said, he's definitely not too smart for the FBI. This could get very interesting.

Reactions: 76-1
Wouldnt be so suprised if the FBI is investigating the NCAA as body itself either. After all the NCAA is made up of various members of institutions, lawyers and such?

Wouldnt be so suprised if the FBI is investigating the NCAA as body itself either. After all the NCAA is made up of various members of institutions, lawyers and such?

Boom. I agree totally...and even if there's no wrongdoing at the NCAA...I wonder if this just isn't the beginning of the end for them as the governing body.

Reactions: medred
The NCAA has to question other sports at the universities caught paying basketball athletes under the table. The universities busted paying athletes now should have their Football programs in question also. Especially repeat violators USC and Miami. USC, Miami, Louisville, Oklahoma State have all been consistently good in football.

Last edited:
Jurich ran a corrupt athletic program at little Louisville, who suddenly got good in football under Jurich.

Reactions: Egg Shen
The FBI didn’t “get” Louisville, either.

Doesnt matter you have kids now or future recruits linked to "pay to play' by your Univesrlty and roster your in trouble! If this is true Cal better run, run, run like the past two schools.

Doesnt matter you have kids now or future recruits linked to "pay to play' by your Univesrlty and roster your in trouble! If this is true Cal better run, run, run like the past two schools.
Oh, I agree. I think any School linked to Adidas should be looking very hard at the relationship, and any athletic department should strictly monitor all contact with them going forward. I don’t think any program should feel very comfortable right now.

Oh, I agree. I think any School linked to Adidas should be looking very hard at the relationship, and any athletic department should strictly monitor all contact with them going forward. I don’t think any program should feel very comfortable right now.

Ummm Nike NYBL is in the clutches of the FBI now too. NOBODY is off limits .

I would certainly hope not given that we haven't been past the Sweet 16 in 15 years. We'd have to be the worst cheaters ever if true.
Actually, IU has sort of a track record of losing after cheating. When Phil Dickens was caught, he remained IU's football coach for another five years. His teams went 10-26 in those years.
Personally, I'm good with a rep as "the worst cheaters, ever." In its own way, it provides ANOTHER reason to not cheat.

I would certainly hope not given that we haven't been past the Sweet 16 in 15 years. We'd have to be the worst cheaters ever if true.

Only thing that would remotely make nervous now is that alot has come out about top adidas kids and Id hope theres nothing shady to Langford. Does anyone remember the rumor a few months back that someone in his camp was asking for money? It was quickly shot down as likely started by UK fans because he cooled on them. I brushed it off then but stuff like that is in the back of the mind now.

Only thing that would remotely make nervous now is that alot has come out about top adidas kids and Id hope theres nothing shady to Langford. Does anyone remember the rumor a few months back that someone in his camp was asking for money? It was quickly shot down as likely started by UK fans because he cooled on them. I brushed it off then but stuff like that is in the back of the mind now.

Yes I posted that rumor. It came from Piston Honda on the other site who got it from a well connected Indy AAU coach. I hope there's no truth to it.

I have a complex and conflicted view of Coach Knight these days. But one of the things I most appreciated about him -- throughout his entire tenure and since -- was his open enmity for what he called "sneaker companies" and their growing impact on college basketball.

For most of Knight's tenure, our teams wore Converse. I seem to recall us contracting with Adidas shortly before Knight left, though. Does anybody remember the year?

Reactions: ulrey
Only thing that would remotely make nervous now is that alot has come out about top adidas kids and Id hope theres nothing shady to Langford. Does anyone remember the rumor a few months back that someone in his camp was asking for money?.

That's impossible.

According to a poster who "met him a couple times", his family is "very Christian....and they don't do things like that. Ever."

I have a complex and conflicted view of Coach Knight these days. But one of the things I most appreciated about him -- throughout his entire tenure and since -- was his open enmity for what he called "sneaker companies" and their growing impact on college basketball.

For most of Knight's tenure, our teams wore Converse. I seem to recall us contracting with Adidas shortly before Knight left, though. Does anybody remember the year?
Actually, Knight went to Adidas much earlier in his IU tenure, and his contracts were initially (and for much of his IU time) between himself and the Company. His annual salary at IU was comparatively low to other elite coaches but it was greatly supplemented by his Adidas deal. He was at the front end of that “evolution” and his distaste for the shoe companies came when their influence grew beyond his control when they began contracting with schools directly and started to have influence on recruiting.

One time, Buckner, May and Wilkerson warmed up in Nike shoes, even though the team wore Adidas Promodels (high top Superstars), per Knight’s personal contract with Adidas that included shoes to the team. Knight didn’t go out with the team during initial warm ups so he didn’t see them in Nike’s until they came back in and we’re changing shoes before going out to start the game. He went ballistic and told everyone that they were never to have other brands in there ever again. Pretty funny but an example of the power and influence he had.

Actually, Knight went to Adidas much earlier in his IU tenure, and his contracts were initially (and for much of his IU time) between himself and the Company. His annual salary at IU was comparatively low to other elite coaches but it was greatly supplemented by his Adidas deal. He was at the front end of that “evolution” and his distaste for the shoe companies came when their influence grew beyond his control when they began contracting with schools directly and started to have influence on recruiting.

One time, Buckner, May and Wilkerson warmed up in Nike shoes, even though the team wore Adidas Promodels (high top Superstars), per Knight’s personal contract with Adidas that included shoes to the team. Knight didn’t go out with the team during initial warm ups so he didn’t see them in Nike’s until they came back in and we’re changing shoes before going out to start the game. He went ballistic and told everyone that they were never to have other brands in there ever again. Pretty funny but an example of the power and influence he had.

This story says that Adidas dropped RMK (and, thus, IU) in 1994 because he wasn't wearing their apparel during games (didn't his sweater carry the Starter logo?). It also says they had been contracted for 14 years at that point. It was then we switched over to Converse.

Just watched the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree and after watching it you just realize how sleezy recruiting can be. I have watched it plenty of times but after this weeks news it just shows you it his been going on forever. With this one plus the ones about SMU and the Boston College one with the mob it is just a bad look for college sports.

Egg. Did you start this thread just to sling baseless accusations around?

There are enough real bombs going off around College Basketball, you don't need to try and manufacture your own out of message board rumors and spite.

Reactions: fpeaugh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT