ADVERTISEMENT

Heard this on Buckeye radio today

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
Listened to 971thefan.com a bit today to see what Buckeyes are thinking about IU. Mostly, very respectful and complimentary. Interesting how much time they spend disparaging Michigan. One talking head theorized that Allen might replace Harbaugh and bring Hart and Sheridan with him given their Michigan connection. I see Allen as staying at IU as long as IU wants him. Of course, I said that about Mallory, too, so ya’ never know.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Listened to 971thefan.com a bit today to see what Buckeyes are thinking about IU. Mostly, very respectful and complimentary. Interesting how much time they spend disparaging Michigan. One talking head theorized that Allen might replace Harbaugh and bring Hart and Sheridan with him given their Michigan connection. I see Allen as staying at IU as long as IU wants him. Of course, I said that about Mallory, too, so ya’ never know.

Why leave Bloomington when you've shown you can win there? We're in the same conference, we get the same TV money, and we have the nicest campus. We don't play in the Big House or the Horseshoe, but our stadium is pretty sweet now. CTA is from Indiana, too. Wouldn't you rather be known as the man who won at Indiana instead of another coach at Michigan. Sure, I understand the tradition of such a place, but I think Tom realizes there couldn't possibly be a job he would want more than the one he has. That's just my observation.

Why leave Bloomington when you've shown you can win there? We're in the same conference, we get the same TV money, and we have the nicest campus. We don't play in the Big House or the Horseshoe, but our stadium is pretty sweet now. CTA is from Indiana, too. Wouldn't you rather be known as the man who won at Indiana instead of another coach at Michigan. Sure, I understand the tradition of such a place, but I think Tom realizes there couldn't possibly be a job he would want more than the one he has. That's just my observation.

All good points. I just don't see him leaving for another B10 school. SEC maybe but I don't think he'd want to compete against IU.

Well, they'll probably give their choice of a coach several million reasons to come there, primarily and he'd have a much bigger budget, resources, etc... I know from reading his comments he's an IU guy and happy where he is, but there are plenty of reasons for a Coach to go to a program like UM or OSU. He may well stay at IU even if offered the job, but you have to acknowledge the advantages of a program like that, and it's incumbent on IU to address and overcome as many of those as they can if they want to keep him.

Well, they'll probably give their choice of a coach several million reasons to come there, primarily and he'd have a much bigger budget, resources, etc... I know from reading his comments he's an IU guy and happy where he is, but there are plenty of reasons for a Coach to go to a program like UM or OSU. He may well stay at IU even if offered the job, but you have to acknowledge the advantages of a program like that, and it's incumbent on IU to address and overcome as many of those as they can if they want to keep him.
Harbaugh is making $8 million a year . . . that's top ten coaching salary money. Only Clemson and TCU pay top ten money outside the SEC . . . that's right, Day ain't making top ten money at O$U . . . he's no. 12 at $5.75 million . . . .

Fitz is making $5.2 million, Tucker is making $5 million a year at MSU, Riley is making $5 million at Nebraska, Ferentz is making $4.9 million at Iowa, Fleck is making $4.6 million at Minny . . . and Chryst is making $4.2 at Wisconsin - but he seems to be an outlier. Heck, Lovie is making $4 million at Illinois . . .

. . . and Allen is at $3.77 million, no. 33 in the nation. If CTA is the real deal and IU doesn't get him to Fleck money or better, then I could see someone else's money talking, and CTA feeling disrespected could listen to the respect from elsewhere . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: IUPACERHORSE
Harbaugh is making $8 million a year . . . that's top ten coaching salary money. Only Clemson and TCU pay top ten money outside the SEC . . . that's right, Day ain't making top ten money at O$U . . . he's no. 12 at $5.75 million . . . .

Fitz is making $5.2 million, Tucker is making $5 million a year at MSU, Riley is making $5 million at Nebraska, Ferentz is making $4.9 million at Iowa, Fleck is making $4.6 million at Minny . . . and Chryst is making $4.2 at Wisconsin - but he seems to be an outlier. Heck, Lovie is making $4 million at Illinois . . .

. . . and Allen is at $3.77 million, no. 33 in the nation. If CTA is the real deal and IU doesn't get him to Fleck money or better, then I could see someone else's money talking, and CTA feeling disrespected could listening to the respect from elsewhere . . . .

Frankly, I'm pleased and surprised he's that high and makes that much. Until this year then I think he was overpaid! See where we finish this year and then renegotiate if we stay on track. That seems totally fair and I think would keep him happy and he'd not feel insulted. The flip side is if he gets top 20 money so soon, it's fair that he be expected to produce.

Frankly, I'm pleased and surprised he's that high and makes that much. Until this year then I think he was overpaid! See where we finish this year and then renegotiate if we stay on track. That seems totally fair and I think would keep him happy and he'd not feel insulted. The flip side is if he gets top 20 money so soon, it's fair that he be expected to produce.
Luke Fickell at Cincy is making a paltry (choke/gasp!) $3.4 million, but has a buyout of just under $24 million. If UM wants him, they're gonna have to pony up . . .

. . . could we see the 2nd coming of Kevin Wilson as an HC in the BiG? UM has tried everybody else to replace Bo/Lloyd.

[on edit:] If I'm UM, I'd have to be taking a look at Sam Pittman, first year coach at Arkansas. He's gotten that program from moribund under Bielema to competitive in one season, plus he's a line coach . . . and apparently has no school buy-out. I might take a flyer on a $4.5 million 5 year contract with a guy like that . . . .

Last edited:
It's crazy how attitudes have changed so quickly on Coach Allen and head coaches' salaries. When "Brohmbardi" beat a tremendous Ohio State team and took Purdue to back-to-back bowl games, Purdue was "foolish" for paying him close to $6 million when his alma mater came calling. Opinions on Allen here ranged from him being a high school chump to (inexplicably) having done better over two years than Brohm (he had not).

Fast forward, and Coach Allen has done a great job of building consistency. He has changed the internal feeling of "here we go again" to "we got this" within the program. We are consistently beating "matchup opponents." We have the proverbial monkey off our backs of beating Michigan and Penn State. However, he's yet to deliver a bombshell like PU's win over #1 Ohio State.

It's tough to say if Brohm has been worth $6 million, but it's tough to argue that any Power 5 coach that fills their stadium and reaches bowl games isn't. I could not care less how much money our football coach makes as long as we win. I'm not on some sort of profit-sharing plan with the university. Hell, hire 23 year olds to coach the Olympic sports if money is tight.

My formula would be that each conference win equals $750k salary. Four conference wins (7-5) - $3 million. Six conference wins (9-3) - $4.5 million, etc.

Luke Fickell at Cincy is making a paltry (choke/gasp!) $3.4 million, but has a buyout of just under $24 million. If UM wants him, they're gonna have to pony up . . .

. . . could we see the 2nd coming of Kevin Wilson as an HC in the BiG? UM has tried everybody else to replace Bo/Lloyd.

[on edit:] If I'm UM, I'd have to be taking a look at Sam Pittman, first year coach at Arkansas. He's gotten that program from moribund under Bielema to competitive in one season, plus he's a line coach . . . and apparently has no school buy-out. I might take a flyer on a $4.5 million 5 year contract with a guy like that . . . .

I just don’t see Luke Fickell taking the Michigan job ever. He’s a Columbus guy (DeSales HS, also my HS) and also a former OSU captain. I know money talks but he has a great legacy in the area. Michigan would probably look to Matt Campbell anyway IMO.

It's crazy how attitudes have changed so quickly on Coach Allen and head coaches' salaries. When "Brohmbardi" beat a tremendous Ohio State team and took Purdue to back-to-back bowl games, Purdue was "foolish" for paying him close to $6 million when his alma mater came calling. Opinions on Allen here ranged from him being a high school chump to (inexplicably) having done better over two years than Brohm (he had not).

Fast forward, and Coach Allen has done a great job of building consistency. He has changed the internal feeling of "here we go again" to "we got this" within the program. We are consistently beating "matchup opponents." We have the proverbial monkey off our backs of beating Michigan and Penn State. However, he's yet to deliver a bombshell like PU's win over #1 Ohio State.

It's tough to say if Brohm has been worth $6 million, but it's tough to argue that any Power 5 coach that fills their stadium and reaches bowl games isn't. I could not care less how much money our football coach makes as long as we win. I'm not on some sort of profit-sharing plan with the university. Hell, hire 23 year olds to coach the Olympic sports if money is tight.

My formula would be that each conference win equals $750k salary. Four conference wins (7-5) - $3 million. Six conference wins (9-3) - $4.5 million, etc.
The radio sports talk guys who were talking about Muschamp likely getting let go at South Carolina on Saturday also mentioned that last year IU lost 3 games in the last minute, and this year IU is winning . . . they said Allen has IU understanding how to win games, not just to compete in them.

Remember during the Wilson years we were talking about the lose big/lose small/win small/win big progression? And that progression was adjusted for bad/good/elite opponents? I'd guess we're moving along that progression nicely, and for this season at least are at a win big against bad opponents/win or lose small against good opponents/lose small or big against elite opponents stage of development.

I could be wrong . . . and often am, as @UncleMark likes to remind me. :cool:

. . . and Allen is at $3.77 million, no. 33 in the nation. If CTA is the real deal and IU doesn't get him to Fleck money or better, then I could see someone else's money talking, and CTA feeling disrespected could listen to the respect from elsewhere . . . .
That may be the case in another year or two, but right now no one is thinking about throwing around big money for new coaches. No one budgeted for Covid.

One thing that Allen has that may be unique to him in major college coaching is his self perpetuating contract. Every winning season (at least I think that's the trigger) adds a year to his contract, which I believe also adds/extends his buyout or what he would be owed if he was dismissed.

Pittman has a retirement lakehouse in Arkansas and family in Kansas/Oklahoma. Not sure how much longer he intends on coaching. His buyout structure is interesting though:

He will be owed a severance equal to 75% of his remaining salary if he wins half or more of his games, and a 50% buyout if he has an overall losing record. No buyout would be paid if Pittman is fired for cause.

Pittman would owe the UA $6 million if he left of his own accord between now and Dec. 1, 2021. That amount would be reduced to $3 million between Dec. 2, 2021, and Dec. 1, 2022, and drop down by half again, to $1.5 million, from Dec. 2, 2022, through the end of the contract term.

Bielema wasn't great but he was much better than Chad Morris was.

Reactions: Sope Creek
That may be the case in another year or two, but right now no one is thinking about throwing around big money for new coaches. No one budgeted for Covid.

One thing that Allen has that may be unique to him in major college coaching is his self perpetuating contract. Every winning season (at least I think that's the trigger) adds a year to his contract, which I believe also adds/extends his buyout or what he would be owed if he was dismissed.
I hear ya . . . but Muschamp.

They spend as much time talking and worrying about Michigan as IU fans about everything Purdue. Allen won't go to Michigan, and he will be at IU as long as IU wants him, just like Mallory. It'll be interesting to see what IU does with his contract at the end of the season, as he will get some kind of extension raise, but in the COVID era, money is kinda tight. However I'm enjoying the college football actually wanting what IU has for a change and I will enjoy that continuing.

I'm thinking that if Michigan shows Harbaugh the door this year then they will hire Chris Creighton. Good value for an excellent coach. He does turnaround projects very well.

lotta over paid coaches

Also, can you imagine the pressure at OSU.

I'm thinking that if Michigan shows Harbaugh the door this year then they will hire Chris Creighton. Good value for an excellent coach. He does turnaround projects very well.
There you are. Have spent Some time with two of your Wabash guys lately. Walt Snodell and Tim Stocks. We are all involved with St Johns Northwestern Military Academy in WIsconsin. Too bad no Bell game this year.

What is your assumption about IU/Allen's season ending record?

Have to believe some coaches on the hot seat may get a pass this year due to odd circumstances and significantly less money to throw around.
I agree, that will likely be the case in most situations. Harbaugh and UM are in a really tough spot with his contract. He only has one year left, have to fire him or extend him. Lame duck coach can't recruit at all.

ADVERTISEMENT