ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to Bloomington

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
My son wants to be at the stadium for our home opener. Other than walking around the stadium and listening to the game, I'm not sure how long we will stay or what we will do after, but we will be there. I think he wants to hear the PA announcer and hear the sounds of game day. We did the same thing on the day the Indy 500 was supposed to run.

If anyone else is going, make sure you wave. I'll be wearing an IU mask and my son will have on his game day jersey.

Reactions: ESalum86
I just did a drive by the stadium, it's surreal that the entrances to the parking lots are blocked and have a guard to assure no one enters. Who would have ever thought...

That being said, let's kick some you know what today!

Reactions: 76-1
We parked on 11th Street and met my son's friend from Indy. As we got near the stadium, we walked along 17th. I looked through the new opening in the endzone and noticed I could see the video board. We learned if we stood in the ditch of the grass lot, we could see the entire screen.

We stood in that spot all game with a radio and my son holding up his "Smelling Roses" sign with a rose taped to it. He had fun getting people to honk including a fire truck and city buses. The security guy came to talk to me when the boys went to pee and bring more beer from the car. He told me we should have brought chairs. I explained we weren't tailgating and didn't want to give anyone a reason to ask us to leave.

After running through the streets and celebrating, we walked to Kirkwood and ate at Buffalouies. Nick's outside tables were packed and there wasn't any social distancing being practiced.

I don't know if we will do it again, but it was a blast! IUFB knew we were out there after my son's friend answered a tweet of where people were watching. For a good part of the 3rd quarter, the video board only had stats on it. The video came back in the 4th quarter. I'm curious if there will be a change to the stadium opening to keep people from doing what we did.

We parked on 11th Street and met my son's friend from Indy. As we got near the stadium, we walked along 17th. I looked through the new opening in the endzone and noticed I could see the video board. We learned if we stood in the ditch of the grass lot, we could see the entire screen.

We stood in that spot all game with a radio and my son holding up his "Smelling Roses" sign with a rose taped to it. He had fun getting people to honk including a fire truck and city buses. The security guy came to talk to me when the boys went to pee and bring more beer from the car. He told me we should have brought chairs. I explained we weren't tailgating and didn't want to give anyone a reason to ask us to leave.

After running through the streets and celebrating, we walked to Kirkwood and ate at Buffalouies. Nick's outside tables were packed and there wasn't any social distancing being practiced.

I don't know if we will do it again, but it was a blast! IUFB knew we were out there after my son's friend answered a tweet of where people were watching. For a good part of the 3rd quarter, the video board only had stats on it. The video came back in the 4th quarter. I'm curious if there will be a change to the stadium opening to keep people from doing what we did.

You're a maniac..., but I say that as a positive...

I think we may have just found the current measure for the moniker: True Fan!
You've just set the bar extremely high..., even for me...

I actually thought you were a little nuts when you first laid out your plan but given that you presented no threat to anyone else, supported the TEAM in the best way available to you and had a great time doing so (while creating a lifetime family moment/memory) I both applaud and salute you...

Nice Effort, *** True Fan ***... -Smile-

Last edited:
That’s dedication right there:

3 guys trying to watch football, 200 yards away in a ditch no less!!!

As fate would have it, we get our biggest win in 33 years during a global pandemic with no fans in attendance. Icing on the cake for 2020.
It's like the old days when it seemed like our biggest wins would be on games that were not televised, like the entire 1967 season up until the Rose Bowl.

You could be seen from the press box all game long!

Were you drinking Natural Light?

I rode by the stadium Sunday to see the Victory Flag and found the spot where you could see the screen. Found a beer can there and was gonna tease you about leaving it! Appreciate the passion it took for you to show up. I’d thought about riding my bike around during the game but didn’t get away from the pop up art show we were doing in time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT