ADVERTISEMENT

Head Choice thoughts

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
Listened to Talking Hoosier Baseball regarding coaching search. An aside, I appreciate what those folks do, which appears to be a labor of love and is sadly far superior to what IU puts out from their communications department. I hope whoever comes in can get improvement in that area.

A coaching change brings uncertainty, ideally the change brings positives and minimizes set backs. I fear 2019 recruit poaching and internal uncertainty and drift in an important off season and hope this is a quick and successful search. Coach Lemonis was hired in a week or so after Coach Smith left, but I suspect Glass had a little more advance warning then than he did on this one.

Any way THB seemed to hit the most likely candidates and we have had posts highlighting a few more. Coaching searches are crap shoots. IU has proved this over and over. Nonetheless I wanted an outlet to for my anxiety and a place to share our uniformed but deeply held opinions.

My top 5 in alphabetical order:

Scott Brown Vandy Associate Head Coach/Pitching Coach http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/scott_brown_830039.html

Pos demonstrated success with pitchers, Tim Corbin coaching tree, some Indiana recruiting

Neg No HC experience, no midwestern ties

Jeff Duncan Kent State HC https://kentstatesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=93&path=baseball

Pos successful HC in first opportunity at Kent, MLB player, midwestern coaching recruiting experience,

Neg likely not here long term if successful

Jeff Mercer Wright State HC https://wsuraiders.com/coaches.aspx?rc=586&path=baseball

Pos, Indiana native, baseball family, successful in continuing positive program at Wright State, midwestern experience, family ties to Indiana Bulls, young, probably most likely to stay long term

Neg, young, limited HC experience

Travis Jewett HC Tulane https://tulanegreenwave.com/coaches.aspx?rc=940&path=baseball

Pos widespread success as assistant, Tim Corbin tree with NC, sought IU job last time, has recruited high level Indiana talent

Neg has first HC position and it is a historically successful southern program, first 2 years sub .500, no apparent Indiana ties.

Nate Yeskie Pitching Coach Oregon State http://osubeavers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=852&path=baseball

Pos. An important part of ridiculously successful OSU program, national recognition e.g. 2017 D1 Assistant of the year: https://d1baseball.com/awards/assistant-year-osus-nate-yeskie/

Neg Probably pipe to get this western guy here and no HC experience and no doubt benefits from the stability of Pat Casey’s program

For continuity, and our AD seems to value that, Duncan. CHANCE for a long term, successful coach, Mercer.

Biggest home run potential Yeskie.

My lean right now is Duncan, and hope in 2-3 years he gets a bigger gig and Mercer still wants to come home after continued success at Wright State.

Although you listed Brown first by alphabetical order, he sure seems overdue for a head coach spot. And why not IU? He gets my vote (I wouldn’t think west coast baseball people would find anything north of the 40th parallel to be attractive!)
It may not be his final spot, but look where the two previous head coaches have ended. Unless he has been promised the Vandy job in the future, it looks like a great “spring-board” type job to me.
If he would take the job in Btown, it will be up to Mr Glass and other interested parties to keep him in red and white long term.

I don't think Glass can afford to worry much about whether a candidate 1) has Indiana ties or 2) will stay long-term. Think he has to concern himself more about which guy is most likely to sustain, or even improve, the momentum that Smith and Lemonis built.

Brown is, of course, currently at Vandy but also has an East Coast/cold weather background, FWIW. And virtually the entire VU staff has recruited the state of Indiana at this point anyway. As have schools like Mississippi State, Florida, Texas A & M, USC and other blue-chip programs.

Duncan seems, at least on paper, like a logical choice. Yeskie seems, at least geographically, like more of a long-shot (especially if he expects the ASU job to be open next summer). Two ACC assistants worth a look IMO are McMullan (UVA) and Forbes (UNC). I'm not as high on Snider as some others are, given his previous work at Illinois (which was OK but nothing earth-shattering). Heefner would certainly be intriguing, but IIRC he's already turned down some southern/southwestern programs so I'd be surprised if he had interest in moving to the midwest. And maybe now Wes Johnson could be looking to move up, if he's recovered from the heartbreak at the CWS.

Last edited:
I am concerned about keeping what we have in Bloomington and in the recruiting class that will sign this fall. That concern influences my pecking order. I would be very happy with Brown; I kept Jewett as a holdover even though he is unlikely, because I like Corbin. I would be happy with most of the guys on the “top assistant” list and I agree with you regarding Snyder.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-10-college-baseball-assistant-coaches-2018/

So impressed with OSU, I would have to give Yeskie a call. It’s basically free and while a long shot if you don’t ask he isn’t coming for sure.

Any word/idea if any if these long-time assistants are in line to take over their respective schools in next couple years?
Even if they are just a short time “lease”, a good coach will help sustain and possibly bump the program.
I would vote for best available, over long-term prospect, and way-way over cheap!

Reactions: kmathum
Any word/idea if any if these long-time assistants are in line to take over their respective schools in next couple years?
Even if they are just a short time “lease”, a good coach will help sustain and possibly bump the program.
I would vote for best available, over long-term prospect, and way-way over cheap!
think it sorta comes down to how Glass sees the baseball program's role in the overall athletics department at this point in time.

If FG sees the baseball program as a necessary but not critical piece that he's obligated to have as the price of competing in the B1G in football, hoops, etc., and he feels that the "Schwarber era" was a nice fluke, but just a fluke, then maybe he plays it safe (and inexpensive) and hires the guy from Wright State (or even Ball State).

If, on the other hand, he feels the baseball program could, with the right coach, become a regional, if not national, version of the soccer and swimming programs, maybe he does indeed aim higher and goes after a guy who's already had success nationally as head coach at a smaller school (like Heefner) or is an assistant at a blue-chip program like Vandy, UVA, UNC, Oregon State, Arkansas, etc.

Either way, the clock is ticking--especially on IU's 2019 recruiting class.

Reactions: iulb
think it sorta comes down to how Glass sees the baseball program's role in the overall athletics department at this point in time.

If FG sees the baseball program as a necessary but not critical piece that he's obligated to have as the price of competing in the B1G in football, hoops, etc., and he feels that the "Schwarber era" was a nice fluke, but just a fluke, then maybe he plays it safe (and inexpensive) and hires the guy from Wright State (or even Ball State).

If, on the other hand, he feels the baseball program could, with the right coach, become a regional, if not national, version of the soccer and swimming programs, maybe he does indeed aim higher and goes after a guy who's already had success nationally as head coach at a smaller school (like Heefner) or is an assistant at a blue-chip program like Vandy, UVA, UNC, Oregon State, Arkansas, etc.

Simply put, I don't think after the investments made in the facilities, etc., he'll go the cheap route in hiring someone. He will bring in the best man available, and hopefully, someone who is willing to stay here long enough to put his stamp on the program.

Simply put, I don't think after the investments made in the facilities, etc., he'll go the cheap route in hiring someone. He will bring in the best man available, and hopefully, someone who is willing to stay here long enough to put his stamp on the program.
Here’s the deal..... reguardless of the next coaches success/failure, this program is at the point of those expectations. If the next guy continues the success, he will not be around long. If he falls short of expectations and fails, he won’t be here long. At the current time, 4-5 years is a realistic shelf life here in the landscape of college baseball.

Reactions: jmbennett
I don't know why he would deviate from the approach he took last time, i.e., go after a highly-regarded assistant at a nationally prominent program.

Unless Glass feels "I don't want to have to do this again in 4-5 years so I'll go the safer route this time and hire a guy I think will stay longer."

But 1) as mentioned above, that's not the path he followed last time around and 2) there's no guarantee Glass will be the A.D. 4-5 years from now--he may have retired by then.

ADVERTISEMENT