ADVERTISEMENT

He’ll get fired in March.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I know people keep talking about “buyouts” and “Pandemic.”

It doesn’t matter. We may not win a game the rest of the season. I’m sure we will. But it wouldn’t suprise me if we didn’t. Archie is looking at 10-12 wins in year 4.

In regards to the buyout, I’ve been told IU really doesn’t worry about those, because it’s pro-rated and we know Archie will get another job. He’s not going to lay on the couch for 5 years.

Crean survived because Glass was fond of him. Not because of a buyout.

The Pandemic isn’t the reason we suck. Dolson and company know that. They also know the fanbase is to the point of apathetic.

It doesn’t matter. We may not win a game the rest of the season. I’m sure we will. But it wouldn’t suprise me if we didn’t. Archie is looking at 10-12 wins in year 4.

In regards to the buyout, I’ve been told IU really doesn’t worry about those, because it’s pro-rated and we know Archie will get another job. He’s not going to lay on the couch for 5 years.

The Pandemic isn’t the reason we suck. Dolson and company know that. They also know the fanbase is to the point of apathetic.

Good point. I think some people forget that about buyouts. I’m betting IU didn’t pay Crean anything near what his remaining contract/salary were worth.

He might lay on the couch. Taking a new job that pays less would basically be like working for free.

It's not like he seems to be enjoying coaching.

He might lay on the couch. Taking a new job that pays less would basically be like working for free.

It's not like he seems to be enjoying coaching.

Hell he can get a job as a broadcaster(yuck), but you never know? That still counts. Any money he makes comes off the buyout.

Did you mean to say the fan base is apoplectic? The fans on this board certainly don't seem apathetic. I'm not apathetic. The Varsity Club is still taking my money, so the Athletics Department better not be apathetic.

I wish he would, but I doubt he will. The reason is not $$$. IU had a very good football season and enrollment had actually been good too under the circumstances. The reason he'll get next year is that I doubt that they can get who they want to come in during the pandemic and clean up this mess of a roster.

There are clearly players that don't look B10 caliber, misses we expected more from. Let that shake out after a year of thoroughly sucking and a new, good coach can be on the way with ample time to recruit and fix it without all the baggage and nobody will be preaching to give AM more time, it will be self-evident and we'll suck next year too under anybody.

It is a rebuild, rebuilding from being rebuilt into an unacceptable mediocrity by AM, and that's maybe being kind

Reactions: Florida4IU
I don't think its fair to say Archie doesn't enjoy coaching. Why would anybody get into that profession unless they loved it or they were nuts?
Money. It pays a lot of money.

I wouldn't be very good at that job, and I'd set the program back a decade or so, but if you offered me 3 mil a year for 6 years, I'd do it.

Reactions: troylw and minneman
We will lose about 12 more games. And he’ll get fired. If he doesn’t, there will be more of those 5$ balcony tickets next season.

We will lose about 12 more games. And he’ll get fired. If he doesn’t, there will be more of those 5$ balcony tickets next season.
Zero chance..
Not this year...Zero chance...
I know two major donors when everyone said they wanted Crean gone..And I mean were flipped about it..This guy ..Over a beer .Calmly said ..Tom's fine..
It took three more years..
Zero chance Archie is fired ..

Zero chance..
Not this year...Zero chance...
I know two major donors when everyone said they wanted Crean gone..And I mean were flipped about it..This guy ..Over a beer .Calmly said ..Tom's fine..
It took three more years..
Zero chance Archie is fired ..
Tom had some good moments and they had to he considered. He played a great PR game. Archie is a grouch and I wondered how many of those big donors think he has earned the right to scowl all the time.

Reactions: Hoosierific
I'm not holding up for Archie..
But it's not happening this year ..Even if it's a total trash fire the rest of the season...
He'll get next season without a doubt..

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
But it's not happening this year ..Even if it's a total trash fire the rest of the season...

Of course he will. This is the Indiana Administration we're talking about. We have to wait for the wheels to completely fall off and the cupboard to be completely bare for the next coach before a change is made. That way the job is as unattractive as possible and we end up with the worst possible hire. It's all part of a master plan.

I think you're right, but only because it is such a trash fire (that, mind you, he's paid well to avoid) that there is no point in firing him, it's not fixable by next year

Archie will be fired after next year. This year is bad but due to Covid they won't take any action. Next year however is going to be a complete dumpster fire and they won't have any choice after IU finishes last in the league.

Archie will be fired after next year. This year is bad but due to Covid they won't take any action. Next year however is going to be a complete dumpster fire and they won't have any choice after IU finishes last in the league.
Agree, and sadly it makes sense

Of course he will. This is the Indiana Administration we're talking about. We have to wait for the wheels to completely fall off and the cupboard to be completely bare for the next coach before a change is made. That way the job is as unattractive as possible and we end up with the worst possible hire. It's all part of a master plan.
Wheels are off, we are better off to tank for a good coach and not saddle whoever that may be with a middling roster that they'd need to purge. It's only getting worse. Last time we had some good players that I think Crean would have kept if dickhead Dan didn't wreck things. This time, I don't think we do, better to start with as clean a slate as possible for a new coach

Over a dozen FBS schools fired their football coaches last month so it is possible.

Reactions: Upset Alert
I know there are a handful of posters saying "no chance", "zero chance" "covid season won't matter" are completely delusional if a change is made or not. If the powers-that-be decide to make a move and certain donors make demands then things will happen. There is also the possibility of a resignation. Do not rule anything out. There could be negotiations going on behind the scenes to potential suitors that may or may not make things happen after this season. Always nice to read other's opinions on here, but "no chance" this or that is flat out wrong.

I know there are a handful of posters saying "no chance", "zero chance" "covid season won't matter" are completely delusional if a change is made or not. If the powers-that-be decide to make a move and certain donors make demands then things will happen. There is also the possibility of a resignation. Do not rule anything out. There could be negotiations going on behind the scenes to potential suitors that may or may not make things happen after this season. Always nice to read other's opinions on here, but "no chance" this or that is flat out wrong.
This is mostly delusional. He‘s not getting fired this year.

Like I've said, it's nice to hear your opinion and others on this topic, but as far as Archie being the coach here next year it's not 100% concrete in any form.

Believe me, as much as I'd love to see AM fired yesterday, I think it's delusional that will happen before the end of next year. 1) There's really nobody that can fix this for next year period, 2) it's very possible this season could also get cancelled, 3) it's also likely that our top candidates wouldn't want to come in during COVID, which may be as much a problem next year at the rate the vaccination is going, would want to take on this mess of a roster, 4) if the admins see 1,2 3 and determine that it's not fixable soon with a better coach, why buy him out when we'll suck for the foreseeable future anyway. Hate it, but from an administrative/financial perspective, who could blame them

Ha ha. Sorta seems that way sometimes, doesn't it?

But I doubt we see a coaching change this season, if for no other reason than there doesn't seem to be any solid candidate that seems like a sure thing. Tossing another dart at the board just potentially sets the clock back another 4-5 years with another failed mid-major experiment. IU needs the right guy, not just a different guy.

Do you think there's any chance we could lure him back? Those two Big Ten titles are looking pretty good right now.
I know that comment is TIC....but man, talk about hitting rock bottom as a program.
He's gone after next season...and we are not going to see a lot of W's between now and then.
Going to be very difficult to get a home run hire. Any coach with a 3 digit IQ knows they would be walking into a tough situation.

Last edited:
You'll see..
Most likely nothing is done next year either.
And here's something to ponder..
He gets a transfer or two that helps enough to go to the tournament ..
Hell most likely get an extension...
Zero chance this year..And still very doubtful next year..
Indiana has already found out hiring and firing doesn't advance the program..
And I might be on board with him fired after next year..
Politics & Policy are always in the equation.
Not just wins and losses...

Why would anyone voluntarily resign and walk away from a small fortune, especially in the middle of a pandemic? Archie forfeits his buyout if he does resign and it’s not like teams are going to be lining up for everyone on the line given the massive hits most these athletic departments have taken due to COVID.

It all depends whether Ned Pfau wants him gone or not. That dude has more authority than Dolson does. Haha.

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t look past Archie looking for a soft landing. If he knows he’s going to be a on a major hot seat, then he may take another job. Mike Davis did this. Archie looks miserable. He really does. This marriage isn’t working out and I’m betting both sides would like a divorce at some point.

Wheels are off, we are better off to tank for a good coach and not saddle whoever that may be with a middling roster that they'd need to purge. It's only getting worse. Last time we had some good players that I think Crean would have kept if dickhead Dan didn't wreck things. This time, I don't think we do, better to start with as clean a slate as possible for a new coach

This might be the single dumbest thing you have ever posted, and that's saying a lot.

Reactions: Radio Zero
It all depends whether Ned Pfau wants him gone or not. That dude has more authority than Dolson does. Haha.

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t look past Archie looking for a soft landing. If he knows he’s going to be a on a major hot seat, then he may take another job. Mike Davis did this. Archie looks miserable. He really does. This marriage isn’t working out and I’m betting both sides would like a divorce at some point.
Did Mike Davis have a significant buyout he'd forfeit by resigning? I didn't think so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT