ADVERTISEMENT

Hay Aloha

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I don't have a link for this, but I saw earlier from a Navy friend of mine that some people are being charged with negligent homicide for the crash(es) in the Pacific. You got any insight?

I don't have a link for this, but I saw earlier from a Navy friend of mine that some people are being charged with negligent homicide for the crash(es) in the Pacific. You got any insight?
As I said about both incidents, the US Navy ships were at fault because they clearly didn’t follow the “rules of the road” or COLREGS. The COs are always ultimately responsible, and in these cases, they’re responsible for the deaths of Sailors. The Officers of the Deck are right behind them in responsibility. They’re charged with the safety of the ship when on watch underway. I’m not surprised they’d be charged with negligent homicide at Court-Martial. I’ve been expecting it.

Last edited:
As I said about both incidents, the US Navy ships were at fault because they clearly didn’t follow the “rules of the road” or COLREGS. The COs are always ultimately responsible, and in these cases, they’re responsible for the deaths of Sailors. The Officers of the Deck are right behind them in responsibility. They’re charged with the safety of the ship when on watch underway. I’m not surprised they’d be charged with negligent homicide at Courts-Martial. I’ve been expecting it.
How serious is a negligent homicide court-martial? Are we talking getting locked up, dishonorable discharge, reduction in rank?

General question: do commanders usually get charged with negligent homicide when their malfeasance results in the death of innocent civilians?

General question: do commanders usually get charged with negligent homicide when their malfeasance results in the death of innocent civilians?
I don’t recall one off the top of my head, but I also don’t recall any screwups causing loss of life like these two incidents either.

There are those that are unaware that a conviction at court-martial is the same in legal terms as a conviction in a civilian court.
I hope you didn't think I was one of them! I just meant, I wasn't sure what the normal punishment for negligent homicide was under UCMJ, and I figured you could tell me without me having to look it up. :)

ADVERTISEMENT