ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever personally seen a world record?

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
One year, I took Dad for a Fathers' Day excursion to the US National Track Meet (not NCAA) at the IUPUI track in 1985. Hardly anyone was there and we could just change seats to the first row of whatever the next event was.

He was amazingly observant for a guy of 80. For example, he asked why the overweight, bearded fans in the corner for the shotput and hammer throw looked like Hell's Angels (as he put it) while the fans for the other events looked more "normal." He also noticed that the woman runners appeared to have shaved their legs and applied facial makeup. No, I didn't tell his wife.

Anyway, we were about 10 rows up for the Triple Jump and he said he didn't understand it because he thought Willie Banks jumped two feet farther than everybody else. I started to watch the pit area, and the officials immediately chased away all unnecessary personnel. Willie himself was nearby watching the confirmation of the measurements and kept jumping and spinning in happiness.

Willie was eventually confirmed at 58 1/4 inches, a new world record. Have any of you also seen a world record?

One year, I took Dad for a Fathers' Day excursion to the US National Track Meet (not NCAA) at the IUPUI track in 1985. Hardly anyone was there and we could just change seats to the first row of whatever the next event was.

He was amazingly observant for a guy of 80. For example, he asked why the overweight, bearded fans in the corner for the shotput and hammer throw looked like Hell's Angels (as he put it) while the fans for the other events looked more "normal." He also noticed that the woman runners appeared to have shaved their legs and applied facial makeup. No, I didn't tell his wife.

Anyway, we were about 10 rows up for the Triple Jump and he said he didn't understand it because he thought Willie Banks jumped two feet farther than everybody else. I started to watch the pit area, and the officials immediately chased away all unnecessary personnel. Willie himself was nearby watching the confirmation of the measurements and kept jumping and spinning in happiness.

Willie was eventually confirmed at 58 1/4 inches, a new world record. Have any of you also seen a world record?
Don't think I ever have seen a world record, but a few stories come to mind:

1) saw an unassisted triple play at an Indians game. I was young, but I believe the shortstop caught a liner, stepped on 2nd and ran down the runner from first base. Nowhere near a world record, but very cool to have witnessed.

2) I was at the Speedway on a practice day and saw Rick Mears and Danny Sullivan go out and set "unofficial" track records I believe 6X in one day.

3) I went to Runners Forum in Greenwood to get an autograph from Craig Virgin when I was in HS. I overheard him talking to the owner and saying he needed a track to do a workout at, and our HS: Southport, had the nicest track in the area. Went home and put on my running stuff and went over to see if he might show, and sure enough he did. He was doing 200 and 400s for the workout, but he wanted to do a 2 mile warmup beforehand, and I was the only person there who knew the area so I took him on one of our training loops. At the time he was the world record holder in the 10K X country and American recordholder in the 10K. Pretty cool for a 16 yo kid who ran track and XC.

Last edited:
2) I was at the Speedway on a practice day and saw Rick Mears and Danny Sullivan go out and set "unofficial" track records I believe 6X in one day.

I was at the speedway on pole day in 1977 when Tom Sneva drove the first official 200 mph lap. They had broken 200 mph in practice earlier in the month but those were unofficial, of course. Sneva's qualifying run was the first official 200 mph lap in speedway history. Tom Carnegie went nuts. "It's a new track record!"

Yes and no.

I've done the Leadville 100 mountain bike race several times. It's an out and back mountain bike race that's usually credited (along with Ironman) with causing the explosion of endurance sports events across the world.

My first couple of times doing the race the leaders (all pro racers) passed back by me as I'm about a third of the way up a 10 mile climb up Columbine Mountain which is the turn around point at roughly 52 miles in. Then my 3rd year racing it, I'm just starting to do the climb and here come two dudes just absolutely blasting down the mountain...I was in shock. They were just so insanely fast AND so far down the mountain! Started checking my times and doing all sorts of mental gymnastics because I'm thinking I'm way off of the pace I wanted to ride. It literally messed up my mind. So I spend the next hour climbing 10 miles up to almost 13K feet trying to figure why I'm so far off pace and pushing as hard as I can. Turns out, those guys broke the Leadville record (we'll give it world record status) by damn near 20 minutes. It was the most insane thing I had witnessed, albeit for roughly 10 seconds as they blasted by me.

Funny thing was, I pushed so hard that I bonked at mile 82 and had to drop out. After checking my times later (and with a lot more oxygen in my system), turns out I was probably 10+ minutes ahead of my goal when they passed me and pushed so hard I was nearly 1 hour ahead of my goal when I dropped. My fat arse just couldn't keep up. I will say, it's so amazing what great athletes can do...truly humbling!

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
I was at the speedway on pole day in 1977 when Tom Sneva drove the first official 200 mph lap. They had broken 200 mph in practice earlier in the month but those were unofficial, of course. Sneva's qualifying run was the first official 200 mph lap in speedway history. Tom Carnegie went nuts. "It's a new track record!"
Think I remember that headline in the Star the next day. Might have even delivered it!

I was part of a Guinness World Record. A vendor gave me and a co worker 4 tickets and a rented house to stay in for a NASCAR race at Bristol.

The crowd set a record for doing the wave. Largest crowd or number. I don't remember what the details were.

Edit: Further evidence that you can find anything on the internet, I found a video of it from August of 2008.

NASCAR sucks but it was the week before my son went to college and we had a few beers together at an all expense paid weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
attended the 1969 NCAA Swimming and Diving championship at IU's Royer Pool. (HPER Building).

not sure a world record could be set in a 25 yd pool, but no doubt some kind of records were set.

attended the 1969 NCAA Swimming and Diving championship at IU's Royer Pool. (HPER Building).

not sure a world record could be set in a 25 yd pool, but no doubt some kind of records were set.
Not a swimmer, but I think you swim faster in a 25 meter pool: more turns. I would guess records were kept for regular and 25yd/meter pools.

May 9th, 1992. I was almost 7 and remember vividly the green Quaker State car set the 1 lap record of 232 MPH with Tom Carnegie booming it over the PA.

Dayton Ohio Air Show had 4 high performance jet teams: Blue Angles; Thunderbirds; Canadian Jet Team; Brazilian National Team. 4 days in a row plus practices...a great event in 2003, the 100th anniversary of powered flight. Plus, for 4 days in a row set new Guinness World Records for the longest contiguous Wall Of Fire. The last day it was, if I remember correctly, 5800 foot. It was about 1500 foot directly in front of the crowd. Everyone jockeyed for position during a reenactment of the Pearl Harbor attack...then WHOMP!!... very warm and everyone leaned away. https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...s-the-dayton-air-show/jrggXVAPjeq1bV8PtLa5AP/

I was about 10 rows from the top in Atlanta’s new stadium for the 1996 Olympics. I watched Michael Johnson set a new record in the 200 in 19.23 seconds. I believe that he also wore his gold shoes that evening. I believe he also won the 400 as well.

We saw Robbie Knievel break a record at Kings Island. He jumped over a bunch of buses on his motorcycle.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I'm a big Dodger fan. In the early 2000s they had a closer named Eric Gagne. He still holds the record for 84 consecutive saves without a blown game. A record maybe no one will touch. Well, July 6th 2004 my brother, a friend, and I decide to head to LA for a Dodger game. In the midst of Gagnes historic run. We get bleacher seats right next to the LA bullpen. Good game. Against the Diamondbacks. It 5-4 Dodgers with the 9th inning coming. They call for Gagne. If you remember he was a roided up fire baller. A real flamethrower. I can still hear the crack of the ball hitting the bullpen catchers glove while he warmed up. I had goose bumps. My friend, being a lowly Cubs fan just along for the ride and not having awareness of how the cosmos work, leaned over to me and said "wouldn't it be crazy if this was the game he snaps his streak.". I just stared at him. All I could muster was "dude?".

84 games is the streak and the record. Not 85.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT