ADVERTISEMENT

Have to give Painter props

I think you are misstating the situation:

1. The IU student section was presented with the names of family members of the Purdue team. That is a known fact. Nobody thinks it had anything about the sister's disability. The disability was already pretty well publicized for valid reasons as a human interest story in the sports press. In other words it was not a "secret".

2. The IU student section, probably on their own, began to make fun of Haas' sister and her disability. This was in very bad taste and shouldn't have happened. It is a bit like the racist comments that same student section made to an Asian player earlier that year. Not cool, but not an organized administration sanctioned effort.

I don't think there was any overt plot to do this. It was just bad judgement on the part of 18-20 year old kids that are passionate about their team. I think the IU administration took action to correct this issue. That is what most Purdue posters think, so please try a little harder to get the facts straight and hold your indignation for the next faux pass.

Listen dumbass, you have a Purdue poster on this very thread stating the IU student section printed out flyers instructing the students to mock Haas sister because of her disability. I already linked a picture that shows no such thing existed.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I think the broader point is that it didn’t go on at IU for decades, then it was permitted. We were different, and now we’re not different at all. The argument over whether there’s a line between making fun of specifically identified family members (or not) and doing so when one of them suffers from a disability is nonsensical. It’s all over the line . . . the debate is whether any of it should occur at IU. Many IU fans go bananas when the Purdues say “IU sucks” but turn around and defend shouting out stuff about a player’s mom or sister. It’s a glaring double standard, whether anyone else does it or not.

Yours is a different point but in this case I agree with you that none of it should happen as I have stated but it does more frequently than before. Although it isn't "permitted" When I was a student we couldn't stand and wave our arms behind the basket during FTs and we were afraid of BK and getting thrown out.

I have listened to FU Haarms, FU Grayson and F Kentucky from the student section in recent years and all that happens is an inaudible message from Chuck or the band striking up to cover it. It isn't "permitted" but it is not stopped effectively and it should be. For the record, I have never noticed anything chanted about a family member.

"Dakich blames it on east coast kids who don't get it" but students have done dumb for decades...yes even in TAH where Pat Keady left with an eye patch after some idiot threw a coin at the bench. Poor behavior has just gotten more frequent and more blatant. And before all you PUkes get going, I have heard the same in Mackey.

One request for the PUkes here though...please never ever ever E-VER stop the IUSux chant...we love how it defines you.

2. The IU student section, probably on their own, began to make fun of Haas' sister and her disability. This was in very bad taste and shouldn't have happened. It is a bit like the racist comments that same student section made to an Asian player earlier that year. Not cool, but not an organized administration sanctioned effort.
Provide proof or STFU.

I'm not arguing whether it's petty or not. They're drunk 18-22 year old kids, what am I to do?

But Purdue fan's pushing a narrative that IU students actively and purposely targeted Haas' sister due to her disability is wrong. You know that. They know that.
Having not sat there for some time, I wouldn’t know one way or the other, and I doubt anyone else would, either. Plenty of ways to heckle a player without bringing mom and sis into it. Creepy that someone actually took the time to u earth that type of personal information.

Having attended a good number of road games during a large portion of the BK years, I rarely heard anything nasty directed at players. Unfortunately, I saw a couple of things directed toward opposing players in AH that never should’ve been tolerated, but nobody would take a hard stand. The abuse directed at Knight on the road was another matter. Amazing so far over the top that you almost couldn’t believe what you were hearing, as well as who was saying it.

I think you are misstating the situation:

1. The IU student section was presented with the names of family members of the Purdue team. That is a known fact. Nobody thinks it had anything about the sister's disability. The disability was already pretty well publicized for valid reasons as a human interest story in the sports press. In other words it was not a "secret".

I don't think there was any overt plot to do this. It was just bad judgement on the part of 18-20 year old kids that are passionate about their team. I think the IU administration took action to correct this issue. That is what most Purdue posters think, so please try a little harder to get the facts straight and hold your indignation for the next faux pass.

This isn't remotely accurate.

1. There initially WAS and overt attempt to use the name of a sister to razz a player who enjoyed jawing with the students. Personally, I hate that shit and everything to do with organized student sections. It's lame.

2. I was at the game and heard/saw the rumblings about the flyer and not using it because they had been informed of her situation. The (admittedly older) alumni around us were not impressed.

3. The kids got on Haas just as they did Haarms and Allen when they started prancing around but there was no chanting about the sister of any sort that was audible or referenced. Just stop.

You people have convinced yourselves of some ugliness that wasn't there simply to feed your narrative. Take it back to GBI where it sells well.

Having not sat there for some time, I wouldn’t know one way or the other, and I doubt anyone else would, either. Plenty of ways to heckle a player without bringing mom and sis into it. Creepy that someone actually took the time to u earth that type of personal information.

Not disagreeing although it's a ton more common than you think, it's not an issue just related to IU. Student sections have been using family members, girlfriends, etc for years. This isn't new. I went to Cameron Indoor several years ago in the 90's and they had homework on every player.

Not disagreeing although it's a ton more common than you think, it's not an issue just related to IU. Student sections have been using family members, girlfriends, etc for years. This isn't new. I went to Cameron Indoor several years ago in the 90's and they had homework on every player.

My kid was a part of the painterpool or whatever for two years and they are well organized around players and their lives. Lots of text updates...even during the games. I was there when they chanted FU Shee-hey and "Pussy Pussy Pussy" when Earl Calloway hurt his shoulder there.

IU was late to the organized student section act and thankfully it never got big traction. That said, Dolson needs to put his foot down on the FU chants if Miller won't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
My kid was a part of the painterpool or whatever for two years and they are well organized around players and their lives. Lots of text updates...even during the games. I was there when they chanted FU Shee-hey and "Pussy Pussy Pussy" when Earl Calloway hurt his shoulder there.

IU was late to the organized student section act and thankfully it never got big traction. That said, Dolson needs to put his foot down on the FU chants if Miller won't.
I think Glass already put his foot down on that after it happened to Haarms. I haven’t heard of it happening again since then.

It’s never good form to defend hurtful behavior, but here we are. This is the same thought process that is so prevalent among the Trump base, I suppose.

• Angry
Oh, I get that it exists, I’m just not a fan of some of the creepier parts of it. The PU alums I know aren’t fans of the IU sucks chant, but they are honest enough to admit they get some delight in how apoplectic it makes some IU supporters. Have never had an issue with that one, though I know others are greatly offended by it. Seems innocuous to me.

I think Glass already put his foot down on that after it happened to Haarms. I haven’t heard of it happening again since then.

No, he came out in the Star and talked about how that was unacceptable. The kids who did it don't read the star.

It hasn't happened since but they have not been presented with Haarms or other douche prancing around in front of them like a ferret on crack. Let's see what happens next time.

It is not easy as there is no Bob Knight-like presence in the building but much more should have been done on-site and it should have been Crean or miller to take the first stab at it.

It’s never good form to defend hurtful behavior, but here we are. This is the same thought process that is so prevalent among the Trump base, I suppose.

How many are doing that here?
How many are here in total?

you need to put away broad brush.

I’m no PU fan, but Painter has become a very good coach. Have to admire the way he coached the last 2+ minutes of MSU game, especially the last 30 seconds.

No offense but I don't have to give props or admire anyone getting paid millions of dollars to do a job, just because they are performing to expectations. People act like PU is impossible to recruit to, it's a very good school with killer academics.

Nice political jab there douchebag. this apparently coming from the party that excused rioting, looting and killing of innocent people all summer long. It's one thing to defend someone's response when they've been attacked, it's clearly another to defend peoples actions just because you're butthurt your queen was dethroned.

Nice political jab there douchebag. this apparently coming from the party that excused rioting, looting and killing of innocent people all summer long. It's one thing to defend someone's response when they've been attacked, it's clearly another to defend peoples actions just because you're butthurt your queen was dethroned.
You might have noticed that I used “Trump’s base” and not republicans. Trump’s base should never be referred to as republicans. Nope, they are just a voting block of angry people who mostly vote republican.

• Angry
You might have noticed that I used “Trump’s base” and not republicans. Trump’s base should never be referred to as republicans. Nope, they are just a voting block of angry people who mostly vote republican.

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong. What proof do you have that Trumps base are angry? And don't spout the capitol BS because we all know that was not driven by Trump supporters. I don't see any rioting, looting or killing of innocent people since yesterday. We all know that was the lefts plan if Trump was given his rightful second term. Not sure what you term as a "block" unless you mean 80 million.

• Angry
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong. What proof do you have that Trumps base are angry? And don't spout the capitol BS because we all know that was not driven by Trump supporters. I don't see any rioting, looting or killing of innocent people since yesterday. We all know that was the lefts plan if Trump was given his rightful second term. Not sure what you term as a "block" unless you mean 80 million.
The Capitol bs wasn’t driven by Trump supporters? Uh . . .

• Angry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT