ADVERTISEMENT

Have to give Painter props

Where did I say we start from the same spot? We definitely have advantages over Purdue. Painter hasn’t proven to be an elite coach. It’s really that simple.
You level judged the results and said they were easily transferable from one school to the other. Again, your lack of knowledge of the IU program leads you to do that.

You level judged the results and said they were easily transferable from one school to the other. Again, your lack of knowledge of the IU program leads you to do that.
Lol no, I said Painter isn’t an elite coach and that if he had similar results at IU as he had at Purdue he would have never made it passed year 9.

I’m no PU fan, but Painter has become a very good coach. Have to admire the way he coached the last 2+ minutes of MSU game, especially the last 30 seconds.
Put it on the Puke board, not here.

If Painter is elite, why is he the 28th highest paid coach in the country? Why haven’t ADs been knocking down his door when big openings come up? He’s a good coach for Purdue. He isn’t elite.
I didn’t say he was “elite”, but he’s easily one of the top coaches in the BiG and is as good or better than anything we’ve had since BK left. As for why others haven’t pursued him, it’s obvious his flirtation with Mizzou, which resulted in him getting a new deal at PU and staying, means that most schools don’t see him as “available” or “interested”. Thats usually true for most coaches at P5 schools, by the way.

I didn’t say he was “elite”, but he’s easily one of the top coaches in the BiG and is as good or better than anything we’ve had since BK left. As for why others haven’t pursued him, it’s obvious his flirtation with Mizzou, which resulted in him getting a new deal at PU and staying, means that most schools don’t see him as “available” or “interested”. Thats usually true for most coaches at P5 schools, by the way.
You said I was wrong for thinking he wasn’t elite. That means you think he is elite.

Bigger schools haven’t pursued him, because he’s good, but not great. As you said, Mizzou is the biggest school to try to poach him. Painter is paid significantly less than other coaches that have been at their P5 programs for 16 years. The other coaches with that longevity have had more success.

You said I was wrong for thinking he wasn’t elite. That means you think he is elite.

Bigger schools haven’t pursued him, because he’s good, but not great. As you said, Mizzou is the biggest school to try to poach him. Painter is paid significantly less than other coaches that have been at their P5 programs for 16 years. The other coaches with that longevity have had more success.
He’s one of the top 20 coaches in CBB. Not sure where your elite category ends, but he’s in the upper tier of coaches. Again, he’s not been pursued because the perception is chasing him would be a waste of time.

Reactions: boilerdt
If Painter is elite, why is he the 28th highest paid coach in the country? Why haven’t ADs been knocking down his door when big openings come up? He’s a good coach for Purdue. He isn’t elite.

you’re really reaching to minimize Painter’s coaching ability, especially considering how he’s owned us the last ~10 years. Let’s get a win and then talk about how bad he is at his job.

He’s one of the top 20 coaches in CBB. Not sure where your elite category ends, but he’s in the upper tier of coaches. Again, he’s not been pursued because the perception is chasing him would be a waste of time.
Elite coaches get to final 4s and championships.

I firmly stand by my original point that if Painter were IU’s coach and in year 9 he only had 1 Big Ten championship and 2 sweet 16s along with missing the tournament in year 8 and 9 (last place finish in year 9), he would have been fired.

Elite coaches get to final 4s and championships.

I firmly stand by my original point that if Painter were IU’s coach and in year 9 he only had 1 Big Ten championship and 2 sweet 16s along with missing the tournament in year 8 and 9 (last place finish in year 9), he would have been fired.
In the last 20 years or so, IU has hired Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson and Tom Crean. Matt Painter would’ve been safe as can be at IU. As for whether getting to a Final 4 and a championship makes you elite, that’s really nonsense. Bill Frieder wasn’t elite. Bruce Weber isn’t elite. Shaka Smart isn’t elite. Tom Crean isn’t elite. Lee Rose wasn’t elite. The list goes on and on . . .

In the last 20 years or so, IU has hired Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson and Tom Crean. Matt Painter would’ve been safe as can be at IU. As for whether getting to a Final 4 and a championship makes you elite, that’s really nonsense. Bill Frieder wasn’t elite. Bruce Weber isn’t elite. Shaka Smart isn’t elite. Tom Crean isn’t elite. Lee Rose wasn’t elite. The list goes on and on . . .
Kelvin Sampson is a great coach. He’s also a cheater, so he got canned. Painter would have never survived if he had a first 9 years the way he did at Purdue.

I never said all coaches who get to Final 4s are elite coaches. I feel very comfortable in stating that any coach who has not made a final 4 is not elite, however.

Kelvin Sampson is a great coach. He’s also a cheater, so he got canned. Painter would have never survived if he had a first 9 years the way he did at Purdue.

I never said all coaches who get to Final 4s are elite coaches. I feel very comfortable in stating that any coach who has not made a final 4 is not elite, however.
Painter would’ve survived had basketball people been making the decisions. Fans who’ve never seen us when we were elite really don’t understand what it was like or why MP would’ve fit so well.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
Painter would’ve survived had basketball people been making the decisions. Fans who’ve never seen us when we were elite really don’t understand what it was like or why MP would’ve fit so well.
What exactly has Painter done to make you think he is on the Knight level? Show us your knowledge oh great one.

What exactly has Painter done to make you think he is on the Knight level? Show us your knowledge oh great one.
Who claimed he was on Knight’s level? I only said that your perspective is greatly impacted by the fact that you’ve never seen IU compete as an elite level program. It’s obvious, and it colors your posting.

I think elite is subjective and arguing with a Purdue fan about the imaginary line is a waste of everyone’s time. I know Painter spoken highly of in coaching circles and USA Basketball doesn’t just hire a bunch of chumps.
I don’t think Trojan is a Purdue fan, though it’s hard to tell.

Who claimed he was on Knight’s level? I only said that your perspective is greatly impacted by the fact that you’ve never seen IU compete as an elite level program. It’s obvious, and it colors your posting.
You stated Painter would have been a good fit when IU was an elite program. Clearly that means you would expect Painter to be on Knight’s level otherwise the program wouldn’t be elite. You probably are one of the old dudes who want Alford as coach too.
I don’t think Trojan is a Purdue fan, though it’s hard to tell.
He told me to stop going around in circles with a Purdue fan (aka you).

You stated Painter would have been a good fit when IU was an elite program. Clearly that means you would expect Painter to be on Knight’s level otherwise the program wouldn’t be elite. You probably are one of the old dudes who want Alford as coach too.

He told me to stop going around in circles with a Purdue fan (aka you).
No, I didn’t say that, but he would’ve been the best fit and coach for IU over all the guys we hired. And calling a Purdue fan doesn’t help your cause.

No, I didn’t say that, but he would’ve been the best fit and coach for IU over all the guys we hired. And calling a Purdue fan doesn’t help your cause.
I’d probably rank him above Davis and Archie, but below Sampson and Crean.

I didn’t call you a Purdue fan. The other poster did. I can see the poster’s confusion as it’s odd for an IU fan to be so defensive of Matt Painter.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedinGold
I’d probably rank him above Davis and Archie, but below Sampson and Crean.

I didn’t call you a Purdue fan. The other poster did. I can see the poster’s confusion as it’s odd for an IU fan to be so defensive of Matt Painter.
You’d rank him below Crean? Seriously? What school do you support?

Reactions: BleedinGold
You’d rank him below Crean? Seriously? What school do you support?
Crean had a better first 9 years in the Big Ten even with coming into a school basically on the death penalty. Crean had IU #1 in 2013 and a legitimate national championship contender. Crean has also been to the Final 4 at Marquette.

Crean had a better first 9 years in the Big Ten even with coming into a school basically on the death penalty. Crean had IU #1 in 2013 and a legitimate national championship contender. Crean has also been to the Final 4 at Marquette.
Lol. Crean ran the 2013 team into the ground. They weren’t a national title contender. And he’s not close to as good a coach as Painter.

Painter is a better coach than Crean. Crean had advantages at IU that helped him recruit kids that are not going to play at PU. On a level playing field I would take Painter all day long.

Don't confuse my saying that with saying Painter would be the right choice at IU, but he is better than every coach IU has hired since 2000.

Neither me or you know what Crean would have done given 16 years at IU. What is a fact is that Crean had more success in his first 9 years than Painter did in his first 9 years. That’s even with having to do a complete rebuild and have recruiting restrictions.

Matt Painter missed the tournament in back to back years including a last place finish in year 9. That would have easily gotten him fired. He is on his way to missing the tournament twice in a row in years 15 and 16. There are different expectations at IU and Purdue. You guys are perfectly fine with winning the Big Ten every 5 years and making a sweet 16 every 4th year or so. That’s not acceptable here.
It must be. You haven't played in the tournament since Archie showed up. And the cupboard was very far from bare when he arrived. And you haven't been to farther than SS since 2002. Almost 20 years seems the norm now.

It must be. You haven't played in the tournament since Archie showed up. And the cupboard was very far from bare when he arrived. And you haven't been to farther than SS since 2002. Almost 20 years seems the norm now.
Archie may not be the guy. If he proves not to be, we will fire him and start again until we get it right.

With that being said, IU absolutely would have made the tournament last year in year 3. You can say the cupboard wasn’t bare when Archie came in, however you seem to forget he took over a team that finished 10th in the league and had 3 NBA players leave from that team.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Archie may not be the guy. If he proves not to be, we will fire him and start again until we get it right.

With that being said, IU absolutely would have made the tournament last year in year 3. You can say the cupboard wasn’t bare when Archie came in, however you seem to forget he took over a team that finished 10th in the league and had 3 NBA players leave from that team.
And, after Year 3, he had a team that finished tied for 10th in the league, with a much less bare cupboard.

And, after Year 3, he had a team that finished tied for 10th in the league, with a much less bare cupboard.
Last year (and this year) was one of the strongest years the conference has ever had. 10 teams likely to make the tournament. I was responding to the Purdue fan who said we hadn’t been to the tournament under Archie.

I’m starting to think you are a Purdue fan with how negative you are toward the program.

Neither your present coach has been to the FF, nor the prior coach who you named your floor after. I don't think PU should ever be talking about the NCAA's. No other program worth a damn would have kept Matt Painter this long.

Last year (and this year) was one of the strongest years the conference has ever had. 10 teams likely to make the tournament. I was responding to the Purdue fan who said we hadn’t been to the tournament under Archie.

I’m starting to think you are a Purdue fan with how negative you are toward the program.
Just pointing out the facts. As for being negative, that’s what happens when a once elite program becomes universally known and accepted as an under achiever. Newer fans like you aren’t bothered by that, which is fine, but those of us who followed the program when it was at a much higher level don’t care much for the current reality.

Neither your present coach has been to the FF, nor the prior coach who you named your floor after. I don't think PU should ever be talking about the NCAA's. No other program worth a damn would have kept Matt Painter this long.
Lol. The problem for us (IU fans) is that they’re dominating us, and there’s a reason why. Purdue would’ve never hired Mike Davis. They would’ve never hired Kelvin Sampson, or Tom Crean. And they would’ve only hired Archie Miller after they were turned down by Matt Painter.

Just pointing out the facts. As for being negative, that’s what happens when a once elite program becomes universally known and accepted as an under achiever. Newer fans like you aren’t bothered by that, which is fine, but those of us who followed the program when it was at a much higher level don’t care much for the current reality.
You put quite a bit of time into being negative about an underachieving program. 3,273 posts in 424 days about a program you don’t even like. Sad life.

Lol. The problem for us (IU fans) is that they’re dominating us, and there’s a reason why. Purdue would’ve never hired Mike Davis. They would’ve never hired Kelvin Sampson, or Tom Crean. And they would’ve only hired Archie Miller after they were turned down by Matt Painter.
Since 2000 the record is 20-17 in favor of Purdue. They have a 3 game lead while winning 11 of the last 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT