ADVERTISEMENT

Haston Shot

Rasco123

Benchwarmer
Jan 4, 2020
I was playing Madden with a friend on Nintendo.... The IU vs MSU game was on... Of course, I wanted to defeat him... But, I knew the iu game was almost over... I was trying to win then switch over to it/msu... Mind you, my buddy was from Tennnesse and was pissed that Haston went to IU.... I ended up beating him in that game, switched over to the IU game, and watched is face break when Haston hit the shot!.... He lit up a cigarette and pouted all evening....

(By the way, I kicked his butt with the '85 Bears before Haston's 3)....

I remember it like it was yesterday. The atmosphere was incredible. One of my greatest memories ever in AH.

Reactions: Rasco123
Man, that was sweet. I think I was there for it, too but even if not, I was there. Haston is a player I really admired and I was really down when he went the way of the NBA, forgoing another year. Those who remember him, would his game be comparable to Robbie Hummel? I think his game had that kind of impact for the way IU played as a team with him on the floor, one much better, more proud to watch. He was a quiet guy, from what little I really knew of him. That's the way the quiet guys want it.

Reactions: Rasco123
Man, that was sweet. I think I was there for it, too but even if not, I was there. Haston is a player I really admired and I was really down when he went the way of the NBA, forgoing another year. Those who remember him, would his game be comparable to Robbie Hummel? I think his game had that kind of impact for the way IU played as a team with him on the floor, one much better, more proud to watch. He was a quiet guy, from what little I really knew of him. That's the way the quiet guys want it.
Good player but not nearly as versatile or skilled as RH.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I have been involved in televising IU games, both in Assembly Hall and road games, as a cameraman for the last 36 years. Worked with them all, Channel 4, ESPN, ESPN+,Raycom, and CBS. Was running the "slash" camera position that day for CBS. What I most remember from that game was that I believe that was the first time that the students rushed the court. Fast forward to Dec. 2011, I'm working the Kentucky at IU game for ESPN at the same camera position. Exact same thing happens again. Probably the two most memorable experiences I had in my career. I've been blessed.

I thought Hummel was very good. And he was a smaller player and more versatile than Haston. However, I believe Haston was a better player and his game more dominant than Hummel.
Hummel shot it better, handled it better, was more athletic, and was a better defender and rebounder. Where did you believe KH, a very fine, player, was better?

I have been involved in televising IU games, both in Assembly Hall and road games, as a cameraman for the last 36 years. Worked with them all, Channel 4, ESPN, ESPN+,Raycom, and CBS. Was running the "slash" camera position that day for CBS. What I most remember from that game was that I believe that was the first time that the students rushed the court. Fast forward to Dec. 2011, I'm working the Kentucky at IU game for ESPN at the same camera position. Exact same thing happens again. Probably the two most memorable experiences I had in my career. I've been blessed.
Yeah... Been watching iu from 76... Never seen two like this....

We could have used him in 2002.

Reactions: herrli and kkott
Hummel shot it better, handled it better, was more athletic, and was a better defender and rebounder. Where did you believe KH, a very fine, player, was better?
They play two different positions. Haston in the post and Hummel on the wing. Both very good in my opinion. Comparing the two is obviously very subjective. Apples and oranges if you will.
Haston was dominant in the post his senior year and very productive otherwise in his career. He averaged more points and rebounds than Hummel. 19 and almost 9 boards a game his senior year. Both were All Big Ten performers and players no doubt.

They play two different positions. Haston in the post and Hummel on the wing. Both very good in my opinion. Comparing the two is obviously very subjective. Apples and oranges if you will.
Haston was dominant in the post his senior year and very productive otherwise in his career. He averaged more points and rebounds than Hummel. 19 and almost 9 boards a game his senior year. Both were All Big Ten performers and players no doubt.
Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn’t nearly that familiar with Hummel’s career to really know. I only watch the Boilers when they play IU, I hate them that much. BTW, Haston did not play his senior year, having left early. Plus, who really knows how good Hummel would have been sans knee injury.

Haston did play some in the post, but he definitely played away from the basket, as well. His breakout as a player was really evidenced by his abolition to shoot from the perimeter. He also didn’t play as a senior.

Haston never made it to a senior year, leaving a year early. His senior year would have been the 02 NC game run and might have pushed us over the top, who knows? I think of Hummel as more of a wing a shooter who could also play inside. Haston was primarily a post player, who could also put the ball on the floor and shoot, which is what gave him NBA appeal. I don't think of them as real similar players: Hummel primarily a wing who could also go inside, while Haston was primarily a post who could shoot and drift out on the floor. I think Haston would have been more similar to a Jared Jeffries, A Henderson or Jeff Newton than Hummel.

Reactions: abraxis
Haston never made it to a senior year, leaving a year early. His senior year would have been the 02 NC game run and might have pushed us over the top, who knows? I think of Hummel as more of a wing a shooter who could also play inside. Haston was primarily a post player, who could also put the ball on the floor and shoot, which is what gave him NBA appeal. I don't think of them as real similar players: Hummel primarily a wing who could also go inside, while Haston was primarily a post who could shoot and drift out on the floor. I think Haston would have been more similar to a Jared Jeffries, A Henderson or Jeff Newton than Hummel.
I can't imagine Haston not having a major influence in that title game in 2002. If not for the freakish tornado that killed his mother and her boyfriend while in Tennessee, we might have six banners to sway in the thunderous roar of Assembly Hall. Winning or losing that particular game made all the difference in the world regarding IU's basketball fortune. Seven minutes left in the title game and it can go either way ...a shot here, a deflection there...the fickle fingers of fate that we've come to hate. Yeah, it would have been nice to have a player of Haston's talent for that season and that game in particular. He was a smoothie in terms of Dairy Queen delights.

I can't imagine Haston not having a major influence in that title game in 2002. If not for the freakish tornado that killed his mother and her boyfriend while in Tennessee, we might have six banners to sway in the thunderous roar of Assembly Hall. Winning or losing that particular game made all the difference in the world regarding IU's basketball fortune. Seven minutes left in the title game and it can go either way ...a shot here, a deflection there...the fickle fingers of fate that we've come to hate. Yeah, it would have been nice to have a player of Haston's talent for that season and that game in particular. He was a smoothie in terms of Dairy Queen delights.

Yeah, if you could just drop him into the NC game, I'd agree, especially you'd think he'd help neutralize Lonnie Baxter. My hesitancy in saying that is there's no way of knowing if we still go on that run. It would seem intuitive that you add a really good player, they should be better, but adding him takes a player off the floor that helped that run happen, and might change the chemistry to the point that we'd lose a game somewhere along the line. Just no way to know.

Reactions: herrli
Hummel shot 44%, Haston 47%, for their careers. Hummel didn't shoot it better.

Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn’t nearly that familiar with Hummel’s career to really know. I only watch the Boilers when they play IU, I hate them that much. BTW, Haston did not play his senior year, having left early. Plus, who really knows how good Hummel would have been sans knee injury.
Yes, Haston left early before his senior year. I should have said his last season or junior year.
Thanks to you and a couple others for pointing that out.

Yeah, if you could just drop him into the NC game, I'd agree, especially you'd think he'd help neutralize Lonnie Baxter. My hesitancy in saying that is there's no way of knowing if we still go on that run. It would seem intuitive that you add a really good player, they should be better, but adding him takes a player off the floor that helped that run happen, and might change the chemistry to the point that we'd lose a game somewhere along the line. Just no way to know.
Of course, no way to really know but one thing I do know is that Haston would have been the best player on the floor for IU. For all we know, it may have been team chemistry that caused them to not excel those final seven minutes.

Reactions: kkott
Of course, no way to really know but one thing I do know is that Haston would have been the best player on the floor for IU. For all we know, it may have been team chemistry that caused them to not excel those final seven minutes.

Yep, anything's possible. And, I agree, KH would have been our best player that year. My best guess is that we'd have had a better regular season, record and seed entering the tourney, but that was such a magical run and I didn't expect a F4 let alone NC appearance, so I think the chemistry was huge. I've seen many just assume that we'd have won it, just as many thought we would have in 93 had Henderson not gotten injured. I like our chances in both situations, but neither to me can be assumed.

PS, any luck with the morels?

Yep, anything's possible. And, I agree, KH would have been our best player that year. My best guess is that we'd have had a better regular season, record and seed entering the tourney, but that was such a magical run and I didn't expect a F4 let alone NC appearance, so I think the chemistry was huge. I've seen many just assume that we'd have won it, just as many thought we would have in 93 had Henderson not gotten injured. I like our chances in both situations, but neither to me can be assumed.

PS, any luck with the morels?
The best thing that 2002 tournament team had going for them was they cut their teeth under the tutelage of Bob Knight. They were tough at tourney time and I don't think they got it under Davis' demeanor. Plus, they got a good draw, once they got past Duke.

Have not found any morels, yet, but I think with two days of 76 degrees the soil will be warming up a bit and then the rain, so it should be about time. I found a really nice arrowhead at Yellowwood State Forest a week ago Sunday so I'm happy. They're harder to find than morels.

ADVERTISEMENT