ADVERTISEMENT

Has the freaking B1G commissioner completely lost his mind?

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
Heard during last night’s game the conf tournament will be held in Omaha thru 2022. I get it’s a nice park, but damn. Couldn’t have been much more than 100 people at any of IUs games there.

Why hold a tournament at the farthest west location in the entire conference? Wouldn’t a more central location allow better attendance, promote a sport that traditionally has been a conf afterthought, and generate exactly the same TV revenue?

In my view, it's as idiotic as playing the basketball tourney a week early in NYC.

Heard during last night’s game the conf tournament will be held in Omaha thru 2022. I get it’s a nice park, but damn. Couldn’t have been much more than 100 people at any of IUs games there.

Why hold a tournament at the farthest west location in the entire conference? Wouldn’t a more central location allow better attendance, promote a sport that traditionally has been a conf afterthought, and generate exactly the same TV revenue?

In my view, it's as idiotic as playing the basketball tourney a week early in NYC.
Victory Field would be an ideal location, but the Indy 500 activities during the month of May make that venue unavailable. It's a shame.

Reactions: ulrey and snowling

i wonder how he still has the job.

Omaha in general sucks. Indy is perfect but schedule problems, Btown is much better.

Having just returned from Omaha, I think Omaha is the perfect place for the tournament--beautiful ballpark, convenient hotels, restaurants, airport. We traveled from California to see the tournament. . I'm an IU grad and my husband is from Minnesota. Stayed across the street from TD Ameritrade, restaurants in walking distance, hotel shuttle took us anywhere within 3 miles (includes airport and almost anyplace else you would want to go), so mno need to rent a car. Weather was very hot Sat. & Sun. and set records, but they can't control that.

I was surprised to see how few IU fans showed up. Granted our first game was late at night, and we didn't have much to cheer about; but that was the deadest IU crowd I've ever seen for any sport. You could hear a pin drop! Second game was better once Gorski hit the tying HR and then won in the 10th. Purdue had a better turnout.

The attendance was down because Nebraska failed to make the tournament, and Iowa was out early, but we were told that attendance is usually much higher in the 22,000 seat ballpark. Because of the heat, it was actually nice because fans could sit anywhere and obviously chose those upper rows that were in the shade.

If you have never attended the B1G Tournament in Omaha, support the Hoosiers and go sometime. We found it to be an enjoyable six-day trip. Of course, my husband was a happy camper since MN won. We would definitely go again.

Victory Field would be an ideal location, but the Indy 500 activities during the month of May make that venue unavailable. It's a shame.

The Vic would be perfect but as you say the date is an issue. The CWS would be awesome there as compared to Omaha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT