ADVERTISEMENT

Has Glass done enough

He finally fired Crean but more importantly to me he didn't hire the easy PR, popular choice in Alford...he actually hired a coach with much more upside that coaches a style that the natives say they like.

So he's been completely redeemed in my eyes, mainly for the Miller hire over Alford. Firing Crean should have happened many moons ago.

He finally fired Crean but more importantly to me he didn't hire the easy PR, popular choice in Alford...he actually hired a coach with much more upside that coaches a style that the natives say they like.

So he's been completely redeemed in my eyes, mainly for the Miller hire over Alford. Firing Crean should have happened many moons ago.

Alford the easy hire? Lol. I've never met an IU fan that wanted anything to do with Alford.

Alford the easy hire? Lol. I've never met an IU fan that wanted anything to do with Alford.

Neither do UCLA and Iowa fans.

Many we're predicting he'd pick Steve especially since he was a student during the 80's and was a big fan.

Dakich was screaming for it, then after had sour grapes of 'I've never seen a program that hates it's family as much as Indiana' while calling Archie a midget when his name came up.

Hiring Miller meant Glass had to deal with the internal backlash of the 80's family while dealing with the backlash of firing Crean.

Both were idiotic but present.

I’m indifferent on Glass. If IU wants to get back to being IU again, I advocate Glass gives Arch free reign over recruiting. Provide the factors needed for success to snag blue collar blue chippers in places like Chicago, Dallas and New Jersey (Cal is big there), etc.

Basically just let Arch work his process. Arch is a guy who lives on the edge of legality which I’m okay with in this competitive landscape as long as the program is not turning out criminals or making a mockery out of the education system. It’s a different ball game. 20 years ago you didn’t have to recruit outside of Ohio Indiana and Michigan. Sometimes you have to roll up your sleeves, put the shame aside, recruit and then win lots of games. Coach Cal is the best at this process.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
FG has done a tremendous job from a facilities standpoint as well as putting IU athletics in a national leadership position with the entire excellence academy process and programs. People really need to read more about this. The presentation our foundation received on this 360- degree program was impressive, and we see a lot of community presentations looking for funding.

The reality is he will ultimately be judged by the AM and TA hires. Doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is.

ADs make big decisions and most of those decisions are based on economic, legal, and perception factors. We know money plays a big part of how things are done.

Facilities are not cheap. Really good coaches are not cheap. Recruiting at a high level is not cheap. But most programs have to justify their spending to higher ups who do not prioritize based on wins and losses on the field/court. To this point, Glass has done a good job with the possible exception of the Crean extension. They tossed Wilson because they had to. It could have been a legal and publicity nightmare. There was no choice in that matter. Remember, Glass inherited a program from Greenspan and the Kelvin Sampson disaster. He has to do everything by the book.

We do not know all the behind the scene reasons decisions are made. Legal requirements such as Title IX are great for some university athletic programs but cut into others. Glass has to juggle those and remain within the ropes legally.

I'd say he has at least put the basketball team on the right track again. Mens soccer is rolling. IU baseball has been more than a blip. The swimming and diving teams are strong. I do not follow all the programs, but IU seems to be doing well. If anything, they need a breakthrough in football and that may take a bigger investment than they are allowing right now, but that may not be an option.

IU needs to make in an increased investment in in the Football program, which has the potential make a huge gain in athletic income if the football team was consistently successful and went to bowls. IU neeeds to get serious about a winning football team.

Last edited:
IU neeeds to get serious about a winning football team.

So you imagine they're not serious? Wager that it's the AD's biggest priority after Hoops and yet most speak as if it's some sort of afterthought on the part of the athletic department. Besides the incessant prattle about hiring a "big-time" coach to secure "big-boy" recruits/wins, (as if waving money at such is all that's required), have yet to see any examples of how the Athletic Department is failing to do all they can to elevate the FB program.

Enough with the empty homilies and vacuous maxims about winning, bowls and making money, show us your list of what the AD needs to do for IU football that isn't already for being done.

Reactions: Cutter1973
IU needs to make in an increased investment in in the Football program, which has the potential make a huge gain in athletic income if the football team was consistently successful and went to bowls. IU neeeds to get serious about a winning football team.

I'd like to know what you specifically think IU (Glass) needs to do with increased investment in the football program. This certainly can't be a gripe about facilities, so must be about the coaching hires? Do you just want Tom Allen to be paid more? Were you hoping for a different hire? If so, who would you have been happy with? Glass doesn't get to just wave $8mil in the air and Nick Saban comes running.

I haven't always agreed with Glass, but he eventually seems to do the right thing. He didn't want to fire Crean, but he did. Firing Wilson was probably the right thing and while it seemed sudden, was probably long overdue. The timing was not good. The facility upgrades have been his highlight.

I believe hiring Archie will work out well for him. Tom Allen could be as well. What he did with the defense in his first year was really impressive. If he can move the program back into a 6-6 or 7-5 record, he should stick around for a while and turn out to be a smart hire for Glass.

I'm not thrilled with Glass, but I don't call for his firing even though selling off a home game and cancelling the Spring game and not ending the FIU contract pissed me off.

I'd like to know what you specifically think IU (Glass) needs to do with increased investment in the football program. This certainly can't be a gripe about facilities, so must be about the coaching hires? Do you just want Tom Allen to be paid more? Were you hoping for a different hire? If so, who would you have been happy with? Glass doesn't get to just wave $8mil in the air and Nick Saban comes running.
Just go to the football board and you will still see people complaining how our facilities are still not good enough compared to the rest of the big ten. Some people are never satisfied and are never happy unless they have something to bitch about.

Selling the home game against Penn State in a season we went 5-7 was a firable offense. The friggin AD helped prevent the football team from going to a bowl game! Unbelievable.

IU Football Team needs to win, go to bowls, and be a big money maker.

exactly why do we need more money, other than just to say we have more money?

and all the money comes from the fans.

are the ticket prices not high enough to satisfy you, or is the cable bill not high enough?

we had the electric bill covered a long time ago.

at this point, it's the pursuit of money just for the sake of it, and unless you can just print it, you have to acquire it from someone else.

and that "someone else", is us.

exactly why do we need more money, other than just to say we have more money?

and all the money comes from the fans.

are the ticket prices not high enough to satisfy you, or is the cable bill not high enough?

we had the electric bill covered a long time ago.

at this point, it's the pursuit of money just for the sake of it, and unless you can just print it, you have to acquire it from someone else.

and that "someone else", is us.

You need more money for better facilities, stadium renovations, and to improve the other sports programs.

Selling the home game against Penn State in a season we went 5-7 was a firable offense. The friggin AD helped prevent the football team from going to a bowl game! Unbelievable.

You need more money for better facilities, stadium renovations, and to improve the other sports programs.

So $3 million guaranteed against the prospect of a whatever payoff might come from a bowl bid if IU had beat PSU? Pretty big if given IU's record against the Lions. As this was the same team that got beat 83-20 by Wisconsin and only won one B10 game, seems like he made a really smart bet but concede 'selling' a marquee home game sucks.

As for "money", IU is sitting on an approx. $2.5 billion endowment - 42nd in the nation and pretty much enough to pay for anything it needs.

A one time payout isn’t worth sabotaging the football team’s ability to go to a bowl game. Long term success of the football program will generate much more than $3 million.

So you imagine they're not serious? Wager that it's the AD's biggest priority after Hoops and yet most speak as if it's some sort of afterthought on the part of the athletic department. Besides the incessant prattle about hiring a "big-time" coach to secure "big-boy" recruits/wins, (as if waving money at such is all that's required), have yet to see any examples of how the Athletic Department is failing to do all they can to elevate the FB program.

Enough with the empty homilies and vacuous maxims about winning, bowls and making money, show us your list of what the AD needs to do for IU football that isn't already for being done.
Football is not consistently winning. Now a new coach that was hired from within last season. If IU was a winning program then hiring from within would make more sense. Purdue hires a rising young coach in Brohm (who I thought was an IU coaching candidate) who takes a horrible PU team from the previous several years and coach and then he immediately beats IU and goes to a bowl.
50 years of overall under-performance in football should be a large enough sample size that unless something drastically changes, then nothing will change. You get what you pay for. If you are not serious about winning, you settle from within.

Last edited:
Football is not consistently winning. Now a new coach that was hired from within last season. If IU was a winning program then hiring from within would make more sense. Purdue hires a rising young coach in Brohm (who I thought was an IU coaching candidate) who takes a horrible PU team from the previous several years and coach and then he immediately beats IU and goes to a bowl.
50 years of overall under-performance in football should be a large enough sample size that unless something drastically changes, then nothing will change. You get what you pay for. If you are not serious about winning, you settle from within.

So you don't like the way the program is being run because Allen doesn't have a proven record of success. Anything else or is it just that?

If Allen doesn't get IU to a bowl game this year and maybe win 8 games would certainly understand a decision to sign a new coach. Don't however empathize with the incessant whinging about Allen (and the AD) in what is in some ways his first full-blown year as HC right before the Season begins.

I doubt that much of that money can be spent outright, especially on athletics.

Thank goodness. Nevertheless, don't take "much" of $2.5 B and the AD is obviously getting some significant money from somewhere.

So if Glass wanted to hire a coach at say $4 million a year, assume he has to get 'approval', yes?

We are doing OK, but I want Tom Allen replaced. Good guy. Dumb hire. We could've got PJ Fleck, Troy Calhoun, Skip Holtz, etc. Their are several young coaches with exp that would come to IU even for just a raise. It's a bit of a graveyard for coaches but a lot of guys look past that nowadays.

Reactions: birdforbogey
I really can't see IU football ever having a realistic chance in the Big east division. Is there really a scenario of getting by OSU PSU UM and add MSU ? Basketball has tradition, in state talent and 2-3 players can make a huge difference . I just don't see IU ever climbing the mountain in Football.

So if Glass wanted to hire a coach at say $4 million a year, assume he has to get 'approval', yes?
He's responsible for the department's budget, and is only answerable to McRobbie and the Trustees. I'm sure he'd seek buy-in from both, but if he can fund it from his budget (or obtain new funding), I have to believe it would be his call. Who do you have in mind?

So you don't like the way the program is being run because Allen doesn't have a proven record of success. Anything else or is it just that?

If Allen doesn't get IU to a bowl game this year and maybe win 8 games would certainly understand a decision to sign a new coach. Don't however empathize with the incessant whinging about Allen (and the AD) in what is in some ways his first full-blown year as HC right before the Season begins.

Hahahahahaha, win 8 games? EIGHT?!?!

In what, 2 years? 3?

We are doing OK, but I want Tom Allen replaced. Good guy. Dumb hire. We could've got PJ Fleck, Troy Calhoun, Skip Holtz, etc. Their are several young coaches with exp that would come to IU even for just a raise. It's a bit of a graveyard for coaches but a lot of guys look past that nowadays.

I would add Charlie Strong and Lane Kiffin to the group of coaches that were out there. At the very least they'd pull in talent at a level we've never seen.

Allen was such a cop out, and I hope he turns out to be a good coach, but you could tell it was an effort by the AD to keep Kevin Wilson's transgressions under-wraps and change over the guard in the middle of the night.

I don't think Fleck was ever coming here.

And what will you say if TA is successful at IU and stays 20 years?

I would add Charlie Strong and Lane Kiffin to the group of coaches that were out there. At the very least they'd pull in talent at a level we've never seen.

Allen was such a cop out, and I hope he turns out to be a good coach, but you could tell it was an effort by the AD to keep Kevin Wilson's transgressions under-wraps and change over the guard in the middle of the night.

I don't think Fleck was ever coming here.

He went to Minnesota which is basically IU on a creatine.

7-5 + a bowl = 8. Go ahead and guarantee it won't happen.

Still waiting on your proofs that CTC was "one of the biggest cheats in the game".

I'm still waiting for your proof that Matt Painter was one of the coaches that voted him as one of the dirtiest in the game.

You can choose to ignore and excuse the many, many signs all you want but there's more than enough 'instances' that seem, 'peculiar'.

Off the top of my head, doubt I can remember them all....

1. Less than a year being put on sanctions for too many recruiting phone calls he makes...too many recruiting phone calls.

2. The strange recruitment of David Williams. He's called out in the book ''play their hearts out' about how he established a 'brokerage' with a Nevada skin peddler, who delivered Williams and then rescinded and delivered Malik Story.

3. Gets slapped for again developing a 'brokerage' with AHOPE, who delivers several players which no one gave two s$#ts about until Hanner (Jobe, Bawa, Jurkin etc). Crean publicly accuses Painter but it turns out the concensus was Baylor.

4. Hires Kenny Johnson, the man in the center of the Louisville mess.

5. Replaces Kenny with Chuck Martin, the man in the center of the Memphis mess.

6. Shows up during a dead period to see Gary Harris. It gets out on social media and after he then says he just doesn't understand how calendars work.

7. Hollowell has to sit out three games because his family was working with an agent.

8. After Ahope (and after f#$king Buss Patterson over while s#$t talking Lyles and his family) he starts another strange brokerage pipeline from the East, particularly Boo Williams. There were accusations that Vonleh and Williams we're not, ah hem, clean recruitments.

9. Recruits Bryant and Makur (who was another canadian recruit who famously had handlers accused with having their hands out like Wiggins, Shittu and Barrett) and on their recruiting visit Crean is booed out of Assembly Hall. Bryant commits soon after (after Syracuse, the other school he was considering is busted with recruiting sanctions) even though the coach was booed out of the stadium, and if you believe Dakich there was some strange old dude that started showing up during his time here. Myself, it's more about having the recruiting power to strangely pull a five star out of New York but again...no proof of wrongdoing. Many called him Thoma$$ Bryant.

10. He had the most violations of any coach in the conference during his tenure at one time. We excused it as the typical 'oh they are secondary violations and the rule book is too hard for him to understand, especially since he can't figure out calendars'.

Lastly, and this is of course subjective, he's a classic narcissist. Ya know crazy thin skinned, etc but one of the most interesting traits is that of projection. Many narcissists will project their undesired behavior onto others in a weird way that makes them feel superior (and gives them excuses for shortfalls. The 'it's not my fault' issue or the 'I'm not as bad as this guy. Think Trump).

Kris Wilkes said no other coach negative recruited as much as Crean did. Wait, didn't Crean make up some pity story about how he's being negatively recruited against?

Even most recently he just got a top 50 recruit out of Alabama. One who was committed to Mississippi State and who just decommitted and switched to ol Creany.

Remember when Crean whined about how unscrupulous coaches would still recruit guys that committed to him (again back to Lyles)?

Once a person realizes that everything Crean says is a lie...he makes more sense.

I'm still waiting for your proof that Matt Painter was one of the coaches that voted him as one of the dirtiest in the game.

You can choose to ignore and excuse the many, many signs all you want but there's more than enough 'instances' that seem, 'peculiar'.

Off the top of my head, doubt I can remember them all....

1. Less than a year being put on sanctions for too many recruiting phone calls he makes...too many recruiting phone calls.

2. The strange recruitment of David Williams. He's called out in the book ''play their hearts out' about how he established a 'brokerage' with a Nevada skin peddler, who delivered Williams and then rescinded and delivered Malik Story.

3. Gets slapped for again developing a 'brokerage' with AHOPE, who delivers several players which no one gave two s$#ts about until Hanner (Jobe, Bawa, Jurkin etc). Crean publicly accuses Painter but it turns out the concensus was Baylor.

4. Hires Kenny Johnson, the man in the center of the Louisville mess.

5. Replaces Kenny with Chuck Martin, the man in the center of the Memphis mess.

6. Shows up during a dead period to see Gary Harris. It gets out on social media and after he then says he just doesn't understand how calendars work.

7. Hollowell has to sit out three games because his family was working with an agent.

8. After Ahope (and after f#$king Buss Patterson over while s#$t talking Lyles and his family) he starts another strange brokerage pipeline from the East, particularly Boo Williams. There were accusations that Vonleh and Williams we're not, ah hem, clean recruitments.

9. Recruits Bryant and Makur (who was another canadian recruit who famously had handlers accused with having their hands out like Wiggins, Shittu and Barrett) and on their recruiting visit Crean is booed out of Assembly Hall. Bryant commits soon after (after Syracuse, the other school he was considering is busted with recruiting sanctions) even though the coach was booed out of the stadium, and if you believe Dakich there was some strange old dude that started showing up during his time here. Myself, it's more about having the recruiting power to strangely pull a five star out of New York but again...no proof of wrongdoing. Many called him Thoma$$ Bryant.

10. He had the most violations of any coach in the conference during his tenure at one time. We excused it as the typical 'oh they are secondary violations and the rule book is too hard for him to understand, especially since he can't figure out calendars'.

Lastly, and this is of course subjective, he's a classic narcissist. Ya know crazy thin skinned, etc but one of the most interesting traits is that of projection. Many narcissists will project their undesired behavior onto others in a weird way that makes them feel superior (and gives them excuses for shortfalls. The 'it's not my fault' issue or the 'I'm not as bad as this guy. Think Trump).

Kris Wilkes said no other coach negative recruited as much as Crean did. Wait, didn't Crean make up some pity story about how he's being negatively recruited against?

Even most recently he just got a top 50 recruit out of Alabama. One who was committed to Mississippi State and who just decommitted and switched to ol Creany.

Remember when Crean whined about how unscrupulous coaches would still recruit guys that committed to him (again back to Lyles)?

Once a person realizes that everything Crean says is a lie...he makes more sense.

Never implied my conjecture about MP was anything but that. That being said, that's quite a list... I got that TC was/is a lot of smoke and mirrors, but you're talking about someone really working the sleazy underbelly of recruiting, and that would have to involve money exchanging hands, as in CTC/IU to agents, yes? That he was desperate I have no doubt, and that he suffers from delusions, but you're talking about 'buying' talent.

Don't know who AHOPE is, can't find any web reference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT