ADVERTISEMENT

Has An Instant Change In Thinking On The Whole NIL Thing Been Forced?

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
MMA Gym Offer For U Miami Players.

$500 mo to everyone on the 90 player football roster.

selling a kid on his maybe/possible earnings potential is one thing, more of an assured near guarantee is another.

seems to me regardless of whether school Ath Depts were thinking in full roster terms for the NIL before, they now are or will be tomorrow.

with the U Miami/gym franchise thing coming out with a full roster rather than individual player angle, that has to change some thinking fast at every school.

something not discussed here before, is how involved can the schools themselves be.

for instance, can a school put together a bundling/packaging of sponsors that would guarantee X amount per month/yr to everyone on the team for fball and bball? (on top of all individual deals the kids do).

i could see IU and others dedicating someone to just solicit and manage full roster sponsors for fball and bball, bundle/package them, and manage them, where they could then guarantee X amount to every player on the team to recruits.

if schools legally can't do this themselves, no doubt going through a third party could get around that.

the instant one major school does this, all others will be forced to follow suit the next day..

probably not a lot of businesses will match the MMA Gym's per player Miami offer, but a bundling/packaging of many smaller full roster offers could become significant, on top of any bigger deals.

free services in lieu of money could be packaged in as well.

obviously bball would be a smaller full roster investment for a business than fball.

if schools legally can't do this themselves, no doubt a third party could get around that..

seems the instant one major school does something like this, all others will be forced to follow suit the next day..

while i'm not a fan of how schools/NCAA decided to respond to the public/govt push back to the "max monetization for adults, nothing for the players" system the adults had been using by implementing the NIL thing, never the less it is what it is, and now how are schools, rather than just the kids themselves, going to proceed with this.

on a side note, where are the lines drawn as to what involvement a school can have per something like this?

could signage, tickets, game program mention, whatever, be offered by the schools to said business for participation in said full roster deals?

and if not, would there not be easy workarounds for that?

whatever we thought this was going to be, hard not to see it evolve fast into things we didn't foresee.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADs all over the country are securing booster $$ for NIL, including IU’s. They can’t do it directly, but they are definitely orchestrating it, and it’s 100% legal. Dolson/IU has been preparing for this for awhile.

ADs all over the country are securing booster $$ for NIL, including IU’s. They can’t do it directly, but they are definitely orchestrating it, and it’s 100% legal. Dolson/IU has been preparing for this for awhile.

no doubt they have been.

but have they been thinking in terms of full roster money, as opposed to individuals?

Its already a mess..And I was for it.
I'd rather seen a set amount ..Every player gets three grand a semester or something like that..If it stays like this..Forget about small schools or even small university towns like Btown.
It'll be..U.C.L.A..U.S.C..Miami ..Ga Tech. etc..Universities that are in large cities flush with cash..They'll corner the market with the 5☆ football & basketball player's..Give it a couple year's..Its coming ..imo

I'd rather seen a set amount ..Every player gets three grand a semester or something like that..If it stays like this..Forget about small schools or even small university towns like Btown.
It'll be..U.C.L.A..U.S.C..Miami ..Ga Tech. etc..Universities that are in large cities flush with cash..They'll corner the market with the 5☆ football & basketball player's..Give it a couple year's..Its coming ..imo
I do agree that teams with smaller fan bases will be in trouble, but this should be a huge advantage for IU. We have one of the biggest and most loyal fan bases.

MMA Gym Offer For U Miami Players.

$500 mo to everyone on the 90 player football roster.

selling a kid on his maybe/possible earnings potential is one thing, more of an assured near guarantee is another.

seems to me regardless of whether school Ath Depts were thinking in full roster terms for the NIL before, they now are or will be tomorrow.

with the U Miami/gym franchise thing coming out with a full roster rather than individual player angle, that has to change some thinking fast at every school.

something not discussed here before, is how involved can the schools themselves be.

for instance, can a school put together a bundling/packaging of sponsors that would guarantee X amount per month/yr to everyone on the team for fball and bball? (on top of all individual deals the kids do).

i could see IU and others dedicating someone to just solicit and manage full roster sponsors for fball and bball, bundle/package them, and manage them, where they could then guarantee X amount to every player on the team to recruits.

if schools legally can't do this themselves, no doubt going through a third party could get around that.

the instant one major school does this, all others will be forced to follow suit the next day..

probably not a lot of businesses will match the MMA Gym's per player Miami offer, but a bundling/packaging of many smaller full roster offers could become significant, on top of any bigger deals.

free services in lieu of money could be packaged in as well.

obviously bball would be a smaller full roster investment for a business than fball.

if schools legally can't do this themselves, no doubt a third party could get around that..

seems the instant one major school does something like this, all others will be forced to follow suit the next day..

while i'm not a fan of how schools/NCAA decided to respond to the public/govt push back to the "max monetization for adults, nothing for the players" system the adults had been using by implementing the NIL thing, never the less it is what it is, and now how are schools, rather than just the kids themselves, going to proceed with this.

on a side note, where are the lines drawn as to what involvement a school can have per something like this?

could signage, tickets, game program mention, whatever, be offered by the schools to said business for participation in said full roster deals?

and if not, would there not be easy workarounds for that?

whatever we thought this was going to be, hard not to see it evolve fast into things we didn't foresee.
To answer the premis of your question...yes. ADs, coaches, athletes and boosters are scrambling right now.

Dolson was smart to bring in Altius Partners right away to consult with coaches, administrators and athletes to help minimize the unintended consequences.

Exactly. Schools in small markets like IU are going to be at some distinct disadvantages, even with a smaller city like Indy nearby (but one that is already saturated by two professional teams). Add to that the competition from other nearby universities and it’s hardly a landscape in which we‘ll be a dominant player.

If you don’t think IUBB has one of the biggest fan followings in college basketball, you are delusional and likely a Purdue troll.

This rule is great for a IU. This rule is terrible for schools like Purdue.
We’re 11th overall among Big 10 schools in terms of social media following, and 54th nationally. You’re excited about being the big fish in a puddle. The universe for this stuff is well beyond your comprehension right now.

We’re 11th overall among Big 10 schools in terms of social media following, and 54th nationally. You’re excited about being the big fish in a puddle. The universe for this stuff is well beyond your comprehension right now.
When the numbers are posted, because it will be public information, what will be your excuse……

Revenue for IU basketball players will be dramatically higher than all other big ten schools this year. Team total and individual average.

No argument on what you think, but when the numbers come out, what will be your excuse?

If you don’t think IUBB has one of the biggest fan followings in college basketball, you are delusional and likely a Purdue troll.

How do you manage to be so consistently delusional? Both Purdue and Indiana have among the Ten largest alumni bases in the U.S. with Indiana second and Purdue 10th. Both have among the 16 largest endowments of any public universities in the U.S. with Purdue 16th and Indiana 17th. Both are members of the oldest and richest athletic conference in the nation. Purdue has won 24 Big Ten basketball titles and Indiana has won 22. They rank first and second in the Bjg Ten in basketball championships. Both sellout their basketball arenas. Indiana has a larger arena and sells more tickets. Purdue has a larger football stadium and historically has sold more football tickets than Indiana. Neither school is known as a football power. In head to head competition Purdue holds significant margins in both football (74-42-6) and basketball (124-89). Other schools like Purdue?

Reactions: jimmygoiu
How do you manage to be so consistently delusional? Both Purdue and Indiana have among the Ten largest alumni bases in the U.S. with Indiana second and Purdue 10th. Both have among the 16 largest endowments of any public universities in the U.S. with Purdue 16th and Indiana 17th. Both are members of the oldest and richest athletic conference in the nation. Purdue has won 24 Big Ten basketball titles and Indiana has won 22. They rank first and second in the Bjg Ten in basketball championships. Both sellout their basketball arenas. Indiana has a larger arena and sells more tickets. Purdue has a larger football stadium and historically has sold more football tickets than Indiana. Neither school is known as a football power. In head to head competition Purdue holds significant margins in both football (74-42-6) and basketball (124-89). Other schools like Purdue?

you think PU boosters are willing to pay near the same in NIL to basketball players as IU? That’s the only thing that matters.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
We’re second overall in all of college basketball in social media following. Try to keep up.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
Lol you are so dumb. We have similar alumni bases, however our non alumni fanbase is far far far greater than yours. Purdue fans often brag that Purdue’s fanbase is mostly Purdue grads. That just means you have a small fan base.

Our basketball Twitter account has 1+ million followers. Yours has 120k. Every year for the crossroads classic we bring 40+% of the fans. Get out of here if you think our basketball fan bases are similar.

That doesn’t even factor in Purdue thinking they are a two sport school, so your NIL $$$ will be divided into two. 90% of the IU NIL money will go to IUBB.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
That's an even dumber take than Birmk. Why don't you saunter on back to GBI. This has been explained multiple times, in multiple threads, why IU basketball is going to significantly benefit from the NIL changes. Bringing up endowments and football stadium capacities? Holy smokes are you clueless.

When the numbers are posted, because it will be public information, what will be your excuse……

Revenue for IU basketball players will be dramatically higher than all other big ten schools this year. Team total and individual average.

No argument on what you think, but when the numbers come out, what will be your excuse?
He just keeps saying the same dumb stuff. Then again, Ordy is probably too old to understand social media. Other than shitposting here, I'd imagine he spends most of his time on Facebook reading all sorts of lies and falling for them When the numbers are posted, he'll just move on to the next set of lies and BS. It'll look like this: Move the goalposts. Say you didn't say what you said. Then more shitposting. The Ordy way. :rolleyes:

This is an absolute disaster for schools like IU. There’s no way we can compete with some of the bigger name programs. We can talk about it all we want but we don’t have the resources or people to compete.

Everyone thinks it hurts mid majors which is wrong. They target a different level kid. It hurts programs like ours who compete with top dogs but are in a small town and far less booster money flowing around. The car dealership in Martinsville is not going to throw around the same cash as the one in So Fl or So Cal. Talk is cheap.

This is an absolute disaster for schools like IU. There’s no way we can compete with some of the bigger name programs. We can talk about it all we want but we don’t have the resources or people to compete.

Everyone thinks it hurts mid majors which is wrong. They target a different level kid. It hurts programs like ours who compete with top dogs but are in a small town and far less booster money flowing around. The car dealership in Martinsville is not going to throw around the same cash as the one in So Fl or So Cal. Talk is cheap.
This is great for IUBB. Bad for IUFB. I’m not sure why you guys don’t understand that a large majority of NIL $$ will not be from corporate sponsors.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Alumni base and fan size has very little to do with this. The money is where the money’s at. And there is a lot more money in south Florida than in south Indiana. Most alumni give less than $0.01 to the university each year. We have a lot fewer big fish than our competitors just based on location alone.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Alumni base and fan size has very little to do with this. The money is where the money’s at. And there is a lot more money in south Florida than in south Indiana. Most alumni give less than $0.01 to the university each year. We have a lot fewer big fish than our competitors just based on location alone.
Where will it come from for IUBB?
Im assuming you are an older fella that doesn’t really understand social media, correct? The majority of the money players receive will come from casual, every day fans.

Is it more profitable for a player to get paid $20k to do a commercial, or sell 3k autographed pictures as $10/pic?

Im assuming you don’t know who Ninja is, right? He has a net worth of $25 million from streaming himself playing video games. The majority of that worth comes from his 24 million teenage subscribers.

Im assuming you are an older fella that doesn’t really understand social media, correct? The majority of the money players receive will come from casual, every day fans.

Is it more profitable for a player to get paid $20k to do a commercial, or sell 3k autographed pictures as $10/pic?

Im assuming you don’t know who Ninja is, right? He has a net worth of $25 million from streaming himself playing video games. The majority of that worth comes from his 24 million teenage subscribers.
I have a little understanding and I get what you’re saying, but I think you’re drastically overestimating these kids reach. TJD is our All American center and he has 21k followers on Twitter. Your average players might have 5-10k. These kids are not influencers with millions of followers. There might only be a couple kids like that per year in all college sports.

Last edited:
I have a little understanding and I get what you’re saying, but I think you’re drastically overestimating these kids reach. TJD is our All American center and he has 21k followers on Twitter. Your average players might have 5-10k. These kids are influencers with millions of followers. There might only be a couple kids like that per year in all college sports.

zion doesn’t even have a half a million now. I’m guessing less than 100k while at Duke. Easily the most popular player two years ago.

It’s been like a week so far. Give it a year maybe even six months and we’ll see how this shakes. Good grief! Who expected that business in florida paying each fb player $500 a month? This stuff is just getting started.

Reactions: GALE60
I have a little understanding and I get what you’re saying, but I think you’re drastically overestimating these kids reach. TJD is our All American center and he has 21k followers on Twitter. Your average players might have 5-10k. These kids are influencers with millions of followers. There might only be a couple kids like that per year in all college sports.
TJD will make more than $500k I will bet anything on that.

TJD will make more than $500k I will bet anything on that.
The vast majority of professional athletes make little or nothing from promotion, advertising and appearances. The number of front line MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL athletes who make significant NIL monies in any pro market is very limited and seldom more than 2-3 players per team. You think a college kid in Bloomington will make more from NIL than MLB or NFL players who are paid a minimum of $570,000 to $675,000 to play.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
The vast majority of professional athletes make little or nothing from promotion, advertising and appearances. The number of front line MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL athletes who make significant NIL monies in any pro market is very limited and seldom more than 2-3 players per team. You think a college kid in Bloomington will make more from NIL than MLB or NFL players who are paid a minimum of $570,000 to $675,000 to play.
Lol you clearly don’t understand the market. You also clearly don’t own a business l, and don’t understand marketing write offs.

You still don’t get it do you. This has nothing to do with school wealth/endowments. It’s about alumni/business wealth, following, merchandise. I bet Purdue doesn’t come close to IU in those categories.

A sponsor isn't buying an athlete...he is buying the audience the athlete delivers. This is why the fan bases of programs like IU, KY and Duke are so valuable. Marketing 101A

Lol. Where do you guys come up with this crap?

This is great for IUBB. Bad for IUFB. I’m not sure why you guys don’t understand that a large majority of NIL $$ will not be from corporate sponsors.
IU FB has a relatively small following now but is a very good position to grow exponentially with another good season or two.

Reactions: DANC
That's an even dumber take than Birmk. Why don't you saunter on back to GBI. This has been explained multiple times, in multiple threads, why IU basketball is going to significantly benefit from the NIL changes. Bringing up endowments and football stadium capacities? Holy smokes are you clueless.
LOL. Do you know who you’re talking to? The guy spent his entire adult life in sports media and marketing. He might be wrong, but he’s got a better handle than most on the subject.

Other than shitposting here, I'd imagine he spends most of his time on Facebook reading all sorts of lies and falling for them When the numbers are posted, he'll just move on to the next set of lies and BS.

Why are people claiming the "numbers" will be public? Won't they be between the athlete, his agent, his sponsors, and the IRS?

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
LOL. Do you know who you’re talking to? The guy spent his entire adult life in sports media and marketing. He might be wrong, but he’s got a better handle than most on the subject.
Doesn’t look like it to me. He missed the mark on those comments.

Why are people claiming the "numbers" will be public? Won't they be between the athlete, his agent, his sponsors, and the IRS?

I will confirm next week, but I read somewhere that it would be public information. Not sure if all professional athletes deals with sponsors are public info, but many are.

Lol you clearly don’t understand the market. You also clearly don’t own a business l, and don’t understand marketing write offs.

A sponsor isn't buying an athlete...he is buying the audience the athlete delivers. This is why the fan bases of programs like IU, KY and Duke are so valuable. Marketing 101A
How much money do you think Cody Zeller has made from all these marketing opportunities since he turned pro? He’s probably the most popular IU athlete in 20 years. How many commercials is he on? How many Tweets is he sending out for random products?

This is a recruiting scheme more than it is true marketing value. Marketing isn’t just a “write off” it’s an expense. Any time I hear someone who’s never owned a business use the term “write off” they clearly show they have no idea what they’re talking about.

The players who have true value are Zion, Manziel, Burrow, Mayfield, etc. 1 in 5,000.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT