ADVERTISEMENT

Happy for all participating in Women's marches around the world

iu_a_att

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2001
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/opinion/what-the-womens-march-stands-for.html?_r=0
Women are rallying in Washington and across the world today. It is a response to Trump and Trumpism and a way to demonstrate solidarity with each other. Many will be wearing "pussy hats"
https://www.pussyhatproject.com/
The hats are a reminder that having a "pussy" doesn't erase your rights as a person and as a rebuke to the current president and his supporters who think that that power allows them to do anything they like.
It is an excellent way to begin the resistance to Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/opinion/what-the-womens-march-stands-for.html?_r=0
Women are rallying in Washington and across the world today. It is a response to Trump and Trumpism and a way to demonstrate solidarity with each other. Many will be wearing "pussy hats"
The hats are a reminder that having a "pussy" doesn't erase your rights as a person and as a rebuke to the current president and his supporters who think that that power allows them to do anything they like.
Why do progressive feminists officially exclude pro-life women from women's solidarity march?

Why do progressive feminists officially exclude pro-life women from women's solidarity march?
Could it be because these progressive women don't want to be chattel for anyone...including other women? The only disagreement between "pro-life" and "pro-choice" is on the question of choice: whether they want the state to forbid or allow safe and legal abortion. My bet is that if you are pro-life and pro-choice, that is personally opposed to abortion but in favor of allowing others to make their own choice, nobody on the progressive side has a problem.

It's a great day for women. The first POTUS candidate in history led by a woman is in the oval office. The candidate led by a man is in Chappaqua.

Could it be because these progressive women don't want to be chattel for anyone...including other women? The only disagreement between "pro-life" and "pro-choice" is on the question of choice: whether they want the state to forbid or allow safe and legal abortion. My bet is that if you are pro-life and pro-choice, that is personally opposed to abortion but in favor of allowing others to make their own choice, nobody on the progressive side has a problem.

These people are pro-birth. After that, you're on your own. Or until you join up to get killed or injured in war, then they get to do their cheerleader routine and wave their little flags around. If they were truly pro-life we'd have decent healthcare for everyone. Cut Medicare, cut Medicaid, cut social security, cut food stamps, cut this, cut that, but they're pro-life. Laughable.

The issue isn't just about pro-life or pro-choice. The march is not about honoring women, their accomplishments, and their lives. It is about resisting Trump. LIberal identity groups reserve special abuse for conservatives belonging those same groups. LIberal females are no different in this regard. They are entirely predictable.

These people are pro-birth. After that, you're on your own. Or until you join up to get killed or injured in war, then they get to do their cheerleader routine and wave their little flags around. If they were truly pro-life we'd have decent healthcare for everyone. Cut Medicare, cut Medicaid, cut social security, cut food stamps, cut this, cut that, but they're pro-life. Laughable.
Many are not even pro-birth because they don't want to provide pre-natal care either. I think we can all agree that the question of terminating a pregnancy is, whatever else, a moral problem. It is true that people disagree about the right answer. The remaining question is whether that moral question should be left to individuals to decide (pro-choice) or whether the state should prohibit choice (anti-choice). The arguments have been endlessly covered. The anti-choice forces have won a victory and the pro-choice forces will now marshal their resistance. So it goes.

I suppose because the group that organized the march has their own idea about what the march is about and they get to decide what messages they want to send and what platforms they're willing to agree with and because they're not concerned if folks who are the specific target of their march don't like it or want the march to be about something different?

Reactions: DrHoops
The issue isn't just about pro-life or pro-choice. The march is not about honoring women, their accomplishments, and their lives. It is about resisting Trump. LIberal identity groups reserve special abuse for conservatives belonging those same groups. LIberal females are no different in this regard. They are entirely predictable.
These women who are marching correctly perceive Trump and Trumpism as an attack on them. They march to signal to each other that they are not alone and to build a resistance to that attack. Good for them...good for all of us.

I suppose because the group that organized the march has their own idea about what the march is about and they get to decide what messages they want to send and what platforms they're willing to agree with and because they're not concerned if folks who are the specific target of their march don't like it or want the march to be about something different?

The organizers didn't formally limit the purpose of the march. But through practice and various "unofficial" statements, it is pretty clear that female Trump supporters or others holding conservative views are not welcome. I can't imagine a female holding a "Make America Great Again" sign being wecomed.

From the organizers and whch has turned out not to be true:

Q: I’m not a woman, am I invited?
A: Yes, the Women’s March on Washington (WMW) is for any person, regardless of gender or gender identity, who believes women’s rights are human rights.

Q: Is the Women’s March on Washington inclusive for women of color?
A: The WMW is an evolving effort originally founded by white women. Recognizing the need to be truly inclusive, the National Co-Chairs and Organizers were established to reflect a balanced representation. The team of organizers and volunteers are committed to ensuring that the march reflects women and femme expressive people of all backgrounds.

These women who are marching correctly perceive Trump and Trumpism as an attack on them. They march to signal to each other that they are not alone and to build a resistance to that attack. Good for them...good for all of us.

Millions of women don't "perceive" Trump and Trumpism as an attack on them. These women are not welcome at the march. This is not good and it is nowhere good for all of us.

The organizers didn't formally limit the purpose of the march. But through practice and various "unofficial" statements, it is pretty clear that female Trump supporters or others holding conservative views are not welcome. I can't imagine a female holding a "Make America Great Again" sign being wecomed.

From the organizers and whch has turned out not to be true:

Q: I’m not a woman, am I invited?
A: Yes, the Women’s March on Washington (WMW) is for any person, regardless of gender or gender identity, who believes women’s rights are human rights.

Q: Is the Women’s March on Washington inclusive for women of color?
A: The WMW is an evolving effort originally founded by white women. Recognizing the need to be truly inclusive, the National Co-Chairs and Organizers were established to reflect a balanced representation. The team of organizers and volunteers are committed to ensuring that the march reflects women and femme expressive people of all backgrounds.
You say they didn't limit the purpose of their march, but have you read their platform?

Yeah, that's what pro-life people are all about. Laughable.

You know better than the women what is best for the women marching?

No. I only know what I think and I make inferences from the millions of women who voted for him. I have no idea what the women who march think--other than I suspect their politics trumps their sex.

No. I only know what I think and I make inferences from the millions of women who voted for him. I have no idea what the women who march think--other than I suspect their politics trumps their sex.
You're probably one of the targets of their march because you don't believe them or that they have a viable and valuable viewpoint. You think it's just blinkered politics. You think you know better than them.

Reactions: hoosboot
Many are not even pro-birth because they don't want to provide pre-natal care either. I think we can all agree that the question of terminating a pregnancy is, whatever else, a moral problem. It is true that people disagree about the right answer. The remaining question is whether that moral question should be left to individuals to decide (pro-choice) or whether the state should prohibit choice (anti-choice). The arguments have been endlessly covered. The anti-choice forces have won a victory and the pro-choice forces will now marshal their resistance. So it goes.

Yeah, no prenatal care and no birth control. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that preventing unwanted/unplanned pregnancies would reduce the need for abortion. It's just laughable they call themselves pro-life while simultaneously being anti healthcare and anti assistance for people in need.

You're probably one of the targets of their march because you don't believe them or that they have a viable and valuable viewpoint. You think it's just blinkered politics. You think you know better than them.

You are dead wrong. This discussion isn't about what I think. I'm discussing a march about and celebrating women and which specifically excludes certain kinds of women.

There are many pro-life women that are just as alarmed about Trump as other women. They support many of the same causes that the other women do. Many didn't vote for Trump either. However, the progressive feminists push them away. Instead of embracing their support for the causes they agree on they dismiss them because of the one issue of abortion. It's a mistake. Political purity on the left is not going to strengthen support for the issues of the left, it's going to weaken them.

You are dead wrong. This discussion isn't about what I think. I'm discussing a march about and celebrating women and which specifically excludes certain kinds of women.
Yet you continue to ignore the purpose of the march. That IS about what you think.

Do you mean it excludes women who know their proper place? Maybe you should link that Merle Haggard song again about when women could still cook and still would.

There are many pro-life women that are just as alarmed about Trump as other women. They support many of the same causes that they other women do. Many didn't vote for Trump either. However, the progressive feminists push them away. Instead of embracing their support for the causes they agree on they dismiss them because of the one issue of abortion. It's a mistake. Political purity on the left is not going to strengthen support for the issues of the left, it's going to weaken them.
So you also know better than them about what matters to them and how they make the strongest argument for what they care about?

Millions of women don't "perceive" Trump and Trumpism as an attack on them. These women are not welcome at the march. This is not good and it is nowhere good for all of us.
Trump and Trumpism is very much an attack on the women who are at the march. They are right to recognize they are under attack and have every reason to resist. Trump and Trumpism is also an attack on me and my values. I am fully supportive of the marchers, share their concerns, and completely encourage the formation of organized resistance. You and millions of others do not perceive Trump and Trumpism as an attack upon themselves. You all have endorsed Trump and Trumpism. I understand that given that you think Trump and Trumpism is good you will not think the march is good. But I also think you are wrong about what is good for you. So I think the marchers are good for you too, even though you don't think so.

Ha. This is about what I expect from liberals. They are all inclusive so long as you agree with them. If you don't agree, they don't include you. LOL
It's not a march for liberals. It's a march for women who share a viewpoint and and are advocating for a position. You're demanding that they include in their argument points of view that are at odds with the core of their mission. It's not an 'all humanity' march despite your personal wishes that they make it one.

Reactions: DrHoops
So what? Not all women agree and that's hardly shocking. That doesn't change the merit of the marchers' viewpoint or the genuine beliefs and strategies of what the marchers aim to accomplish.
Do you have a link to something from the organizers of this march that says that it's a pro-abortion march?

Yet you continue to ignore the purpose of the march. That IS about what you think.

Well then the march is totally stupid. I'll match my respect for women cred with anybody in that march and also including you. In fact I am more accepting of women in power and more supportive of women than those who are in charge of the march because I wouldn't exclude any women with certain beliefs about other women

So you also know better than them about what matters to them and how they make the strongest argument for what they care about?

Could you imagine if it was a bunch of female legislators trying to pass laws regarding testicles and prostates? These dudes would be singing a much different tune.

Well then the march is totally stupid. I'll match my respect for women cred with anybody in that march and also including you. In fact I am more accepting of women in power and more supportive of women than those who are in charge of the march because I wouldn't exclude any women with certain beliefs about other women
That's pretty much exactly what I said about your viewpoint from the beginning.

It's not a march for liberals. It's a march for women who share a viewpoint and and are advocating for a position. You're demanding that they include in their argument points of view that are at odds with the core of their mission. It's not an 'all humanity' march despite your personal wishes that they make it one.

You are chasing your tail. The shared viewpoint is decidedly liberal. The core of their mission is to support liberal women, not all women. Their stated "all women" purpose is a fraud.

You are chasing your tail. The shared viewpoint is decidedly liberal. The core of their mission is to support liberal women, not all women. Their stated "all women" purpose is a fraud.
No, this is all about you. You don't like women who care about the issues for which they march and you're only comfortable using the labels that satisfy your partisan beliefs. That's certainly your right. I'm just not sure why you're yelling about it. You get to have your opinion, but they don't?

So you'd shout them down for refusing to partner with the "Women of the KKK"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT