ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Father's Day!

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Hope you can all enjoy today with your kids. This will be my first with my grandson. I'm convinced he will either be a 6'-7" shooting guard for IU or a DE for his daddy's Irish. Either way I'll have fun watching him splash in the pool in the fancy floaty his Nana bought him .

Thinking about those that find this day sad from missing their dad or their children. I know this day isn't happy for everyone.

I visited yesterday with my dad. It was difficult because his health is declining rapidly. A couple of months ago he was planning trips. Now his failing lungs make it difficult to go to the store. Grateful to have him but sad about what he is facing and decisions we will have to make before next Father's Day.

Reactions: 76-1 and BHAII
Hope you can all enjoy today with your kids. This will be my first with my grandson. I'm convinced he will either be a 6'-7" shooting guard for IU or a DE for his daddy's Irish. Either way I'll have fun watching him splash in the pool in the fancy floaty his Nana bought him .

Thinking about those that find this day sad from missing their dad or their children. I know this day isn't happy for everyone.

I visited yesterday with my dad. It was difficult because his health is declining rapidly. A couple of months ago he was planning trips. Now his failing lungs make it difficult to go to the store. Grateful to have him but sad about what he is facing and decisions we will have to make before next Father's Day.
I've got my daughters and grandsons in Pennsylvania with me. My sons are in Indiana and Michigan. May God bless your grandson. If he is real good I hope he goes to IU. If he is just ok he can go to PU. lol May God be with your father. When we get older we begin to realize that they will not be with us forever. I had the chance last week to see my Dad after 1 1/2 yrs because of Covid. It was real good to hug his ole neck and kiss his forehead. When we were leaving the nursing home, we wheeled him down to the Dining Hall for supper. I hugged him and kissed him and my grandson who is 5 hugged and kissed him without me telling him to. I asked dad if the other people there would be jealous because nobody was hugging them and he had two.

My Dad's been dead since I was 10. He killed himself. I share that not for sympathy, but just because people don't talk about things like suicide and depression much and it often can be avoided if you get those who are depressed to that point talking to someone. Fathers Day was weird when I was in college, but even by then, not really sad, I can just tell it makes others awkward or uncomfortable to talk about their plans when they know I don't have a Dad around. Never bothered me much, and wasn't much different than thinking that my parents were divorced (they were), when I had friends with both parents. I usually call my Mom because she ended up doing double duty and tried to cover the bases for "guy stuff" as best as she could.

Fortunately I have 2 kids of my own and they are finding their way now. They stayed with me this weekend and took me out for Fathers Day brunch to a nice restaurant and we all came back and watched a movie. I'm trying to soak up time with them now, because they both graduated from college recently and are on their own. I'd guess 1 or both will be moving away in the next couple of years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT