ADVERTISEMENT

Happy end of the Middle Ages

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Besides Memorial Day, this weekend was also the anniversary of the Fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans, which is generally considered by scholars as the end of the Medieval period. The seminal year in history is especially punctuated by the fact that a few months later, the final French defeat of the English in Bordeaux ended the Hundred Years' War. The Year of our Lord 1453 ushered in a new era in European history, an era of nationalism that would lead to nation states, an era of Ottoman aggression in the Balkans. At the same time, the Reconquista was almost over, and Germany was unifying over ethnic and national lines, rather than religious. Of course, it would only be a few decades before religious lines would become crucial in Germany, and elsewhere.

For those who love history, 1453 is often seen as one of the most important years in Western history, for good reason, and May 29th was the keystone for all of it. The Eastern Roman Empire of Constantine the Great finally fell to some tribal Turkish upstarts, and nothing would ever be the same again.

The battle is also famous as perhaps the first siege in Western history that was won by the use of gunpowder and cannons.

Update: Saturday is the anniversary of the Battle of Castillon, when the French finally defeated the English in the Hundred Years' War. This was the other moment that I mentioned above that, paired with the fall of Constantinople, marked the end of the Middle Ages.

Besides Memorial Day, this weekend was also the anniversary of the Fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans, which is generally considered by scholars as the end of the Medieval period. The seminal year in history is especially punctuated by the fact that a few months later, the final French defeat of the English in Bordeaux ended the Hundred Years' War. The Year of our Lord 1453 ushered in a new era in European history, an era of nationalism that would lead to nation states, an era of Ottoman aggression in the Balkans. At the same time, the Reconquista was almost over, and Germany was unifying over ethnic and national lines, rather than religious. Of course, it would only be a few decades before religious lines would become crucial in Germany, and elsewhere.

For those who love history, 1453 is often seen as one of the most important years in Western history, for good reason, and May 29th was the keystone for all of it. The Eastern Roman Empire of Constantine the Great finally fell to some tribal Turkish upstarts, and nothing would ever be the same again.

The battle is also famous as perhaps the first siege in Western history that was won by the use of gunpowder and cannons.

Have you read much about the fall of the Roman Empire? If you have are there any book(s) that you recommend?

Update: Saturday is the anniversary of the Battle of Castillon, when the French finally defeated the English in the Hundred Years' War. This was the other moment that I mentioned above that, paired with the fall of Constantinople, marked the end of the Middle Ages.

imagine losing to the French

Have you read much about the fall of the Roman Empire? If you have are there any book(s) that you recommend?
No a book, but Dan Carlin has a podcast 6 part series on it called “Death Throes of the Republic” that is great. I think you have to pay get it on his website now…

Although it happened much later, there is a really good movie, in my opinion, anyway, on Netflix called the Day of the Siege about the 1683 Ottoman siege of Vienna. If successful, it would have opened up Europe to Ottoman conquest. The day was saved by a Polish army. Before seeing the movie, I had no knowledge of this episode in history.

Reactions: TomEric4756
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT