ADVERTISEMENT

Haarms transferring

Maybe Haarms can walk-on at IU.

I was surprised by this, but I'm guessing he didn't like the platoon situation and maybe thinks he can improve his pro prospects with a starting job and better stats?

They have another 7'3" player coming in next year, Zach Edey, that is going to be just as annoying as Haarms. His own highlight reel starts with him acting very Haarms-like.

Reactions: hondo314
He quit on Purdue. Go figure. We saw that personality year in and year out.

They have another 7'3" player coming in next year, Zach Edey, that is going to be just as annoying as Haarms. His own highlight reel starts with him acting very Haarms-like.

Edey looks pretty agile for a guy that height/age -- and that's about all a coach can ask for from such a rare specimen. I guess time will tell if he's ready for B10 level competition next season. But, even if he's not, it's a good starting point.

As for Haarms, I have to imagine this has to do with him losing his starting spot after the hip injury. He hasn't graduated yet, right? Either way, it's not like Haarms was ever an all-B10 level talent. It's a loss for them but nothing that Painter is going to lose sleep over, IMO.

Edey looks pretty agile for a guy that height/age -- and that's about all a coach can ask for from such a rare specimen. I guess time will tell if he's ready for B10 level competition next season. But, even if he's not, it's a good starting point.

As for Haarms, I have to imagine this has to do with him losing his starting spot after the hip injury. He hasn't graduated yet, right? Either way, it's not like Haarms was ever an all-B10 level talent. It's a loss for them but nothing that Painter is going to lose sleep over, IMO.
Haarms will be a graduate transfer. He enrolled at Purdue in January of 2017.

Obviously, he's not an NBA prospect. I'm sure he will end up with a mid-major in desperate need of a rim protector in order to posture himself for Euroleage clubs.

His decline in playing time seemed to coincide with Williams’ assent as a legit Big 10 low post player. Worrisome that Painter seems to be putting together another pretty decent team, and Haarms probably saw his prospects for playing time trending down next season.

His decline in playing time seemed to coincide with Williams’ assent as a legit Big 10 low post player. Worrisome that Painter seems to be putting together another pretty decent team, and Haarms probably saw his prospects for playing time trending down next season.

Haarms also suffered multiple concussions last year and hurt his hip but he was by far Purdue's best player to start the year. Williams is progressing no doubt but he has limitations due to his size and playing anything more than 25 mpg is going to be a stretch. Purdue has ZERO interior depth behind Williams (Emmanuel Dowuona will be in his third year in the program and has only played 30 minutes and Edey is/was a redshirt candidate), not to mention they are extremely weak at the 4 position. Wheeler was a train wreck last year and Mason Gillis hasn't played in a game in over 2 years. This is a notable loss for Purdue any way you try and slice it.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Haarms also suffered multiple concussions last year and hurt his hip but he was by far Purdue's best player to start the year. Williams is progressing no doubt but he has limitations due to his size and playing anything more than 25 mpg is going to be a stretch. Purdue has ZERO interior depth behind Williams (Emmanuel Dowuona will be in his third year in the program and has only played 30 minutes and Edey is/was a redshirt candidate), not to mention they are extremely weak at the 4 position. Wheeler was a train wreck last year and Mason Gillis hasn't played in a game in over 2 years. This is a notable loss for Purdue any way you try and slice it.

It's funny, but I heard alot of that this year too before they swept us again. I'll believe they're down when we actually beat them for a change.

It's funny, but I heard alot of that this year too before they swept us again. I'll believe they're down when we actually beat them for a change.

Purdue sweeping IU has no bearing on the fact that Purdue was "down" last year. They were. They were 16-15, 9-11 in conference and nowhere close to making the tournament. Haarms was a top 2 or 3 returning player for them. This is a significant loss for them.

That hair flipping fvck was the most disliked player in the B1G. Whiney and left the broilees in a bind. good riddance.

Reactions: sluggo69
It’s a loss, but he’s a 10-15 minute a game player for them, tops, and I’m sure he wanted a much bigger role than he was getting and was going to get.

Reactions: Mackeyfan247
Purdue sweeping IU has no bearing on the fact that Purdue was "down" last year. They were. They were 16-15, 9-11 in conference and nowhere close to making the tournament. Haarms was a top 2 or 3 returning player for them. This is a significant loss for them.
No chance he was a top 2-3 returning player for them. Not even close, as his dwindling role absolutely confirmed.

Reactions: fall city

Nowhere close to making the tournament? Well that’s completely false. And no Haarms wasn’t a top 2 or 3 returning guy for us. Maybe 4th or 5th.

If you followed college basketball this year, you knew that Purdue was right there to make the tournament until they lost to Rutgers. If they had won that game, they would’ve likely only needed one win in the BTT to get in. Saying they were “nowhere close to making the tournament” is laughable. Not with Purdue’s metrics.

If you followed college basketball this year, you knew that Purdue was right there to make the tournament until they lost to Rutgers. If they had won that game, they would’ve likely only needed one win in the BTT to get in. Saying they were “nowhere close to making the tournament” is laughable. Not with Purdue’s metrics.
Link?

From Indy TV Channel:

"Haarms was the target of profane chants from fans at Indiana’s Assembly Hall in 2019."

There are Profane Chants in ALL B1G Locations.... This reporter must be a Purdue Grad or Fan.

Update: Nope... I fact checked. Ball State University - B.A. - Telecommunications 1998-2002

No chance he was a top 2-3 returning player for them. Not even close, as his dwindling role absolutely confirmed.

His role diminished because of injury, I already explained that. He was a 12 and 7 guy playing 20 mpg before suffered a concussion and a hip flexor that he carried throughout the year. Along with Williams and Hunter, he was their most productive player on both ends of the court and that’s not really up for debate. This is a big loss for Purdue not only from a production standpoint, but an experience and depth perspective.

Reactions: jiouhyu and T.M.P.
Nowhere close to making the tournament? Well that’s completely false. And no Haarms wasn’t a top 2 or 3 returning guy for us. Maybe 4th or 5th.

They were 16-15 going into the BTT with a date with Ohio State. It’s not a given they’d have won that and a 16-16, not only was Purdue nowhere close to making the tournament, an NIT birth wasn’t even a given as they would have been .500. I stand by my assessment.

Haarms would have been the returning leader in FG%, 3rd in points, 2nd in REBs, and #1 in blocks. What the hell are you talking about? Outside Williams and Hunter who was more productive on both ends of the floor? Haarms was by far and away your best player last year up until that nasty fall and subsequent during the Nebraska game. Not to mention that nagging hip flexor that kept him out of the Michigan game and something he played with the rest of the year.

Purdue has virtually zero or proven depth behind Williams next year and the 4 position was an absolute train wreck all last year. This is a much bigger loss than you think.

His role diminished because of injury, I already explained that. He was a 12 and 7 guy playing 20 mpg before suffered a concussion and a hip flexor that he carried throughout the year. Along with Williams and Hunter, he was their most productive player on both ends of the court and that’s not really up for debate. This is a big loss for Purdue not only from a production standpoint, but an experience and depth perspective.
He was healthy for much of the year yet his role diminished. That wasn’t due to injury, it was because other guys were more valuable for them. If you watched much of them, it wasn’t difficult to see. Saying he was one of their top 2 or 3 players isn’t accurate at all.

Reactions: fall city
They were 16-15 going into the BTT with a date with Ohio State. It’s not a given they’d have won that and a 16-16, not only was Purdue nowhere close to making the tournament, an NIT birth wasn’t even a given as they would have been .500. I stand by my assessment.
If they beat Rutgers and win a game in the BTT, they were in, especially if IU was in.

He was healthy for much of the year yet his role diminished. That wasn’t due to injury, it was because other guys were more valuable for them. If you watched much of them, it wasn’t difficult to see. Saying he was one of their top 2 or 3 players isn’t accurate at all.

Not attributing his concussion and hip injury to his decrease in minutes is idiotic. He was by far and away Purdue’s best player pre injuries.

If they beat Rutgers and win a game in the BTT, they were in, especially if IU was in.

And they didn’t. Nowhere near making the tournament. And they needed to win 2 or 3 BTT games. They weren’t getting in at 17-15 either.

Not attributing his concussion and hip injury to his decrease in minutes is idiotic. He was by far and away Purdue’s best player pre injuries.
It dipped for awhile but he was healthy for much of the conference and his playing time still went down. It wasn’t hard to see. And no one ever believed he was Purdue’s best player.

It dipped for awhile but he was healthy for much of the conference and his playing time still went down. It wasn’t hard to see. And no one ever believed he was Purdue’s best player.

Never said he was their “best” player. I said he was one of their 2-3 top returning players. Nice reading comprehension dolt.

Reactions: Radio Zero
As a Purdue fan (I come in peace), I have to say that this blindsided everyone in Black and Gold. Every previous indication was that he's been loving his college experience and everything about Purdue. Fans are currently busting each other's chops to understand and speculate as to "why".

He had a rough year in many ways, but he was destined to be a '6th Man of the Year' type of player in the B1G assuming he stayed healthy. With very solid guard additions next season, I thought Haarms stood to benefit a lot in '20-'21 even behind Williams. He thought otherwise. My point is that his transferring is indeed a very big loss for Purdue next season. Obviously, he wasn't popular among the B1G fans around the league, but no one can argue that he wasn't a solid all-around player.

He's a great kid, and he will be sorely missed by Purdue fans. Purdue is extremely inexperienced at the 5 backup, and may be kinda late to land a quality grad transfer.

My last comment: I think IU got a steal in picking up Geronimo. Kid looks to have a very high ceiling.

And they didn’t. Nowhere near making the tournament. And they needed to win 2 or 3 BTT games. They weren’t getting in at 17-15 either.

You have a weird definition for “nowhere near making the tournament.” They were on the bubble going into the game against Rutgers. Even after that loss, they weren’t far from making the tournament lol. Weird take on your part.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Never said he was their “best” player. I said he was one of their 2-3 top returning players. Nice reading comprehension dolt.
You said this . . . . “He was by far and away Purdue’s best player pre injuries.“

That’s simply laughable.

You said this . . . . “He was by far and away Purdue’s best player pre injuries.“

That’s simply laughable.

He was absolutely they’re best player pre-injuries. He scored in double figures in 11 out of the first 15 games and was their best interior player. Tre Williams break out game happened against Michigan, a game Haarms didn’t play in because of injury. He never fully recovered from injury and his minutes decreased. Per usual, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT