ADVERTISEMENT

Grocery shopping

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
I'm statistically in a high risk group for Coronavirus. I have two options for grocery shopping: Order on line and pick up the order at an outside drive by. Or, enter the store first thing in the morning when it is the cleanest, during senior hour, and buy my own stuff.

Online ordering would keep me out of the store, but would result in all my merchandise being handled by at least one additional person, who is retrieving 6 orders at at time, who handles more merchandise than I would by myself, and who might have contaminated hands or gloves.

Entering the store would cut down at least by one person handling my items, but expose me to the risk of any airborne virus.

Which risk is better?

I'm statistically in a high risk group for Coronavirus. I have two options for grocery shopping: Order on line and pick up the order at an outside drive by. Or, enter the store first thing in the morning when it is the cleanest, during senior hour, and buy my own stuff.

Online ordering would keep me out of the store, but would result in all my merchandise being handled by at least one additional person, who is retrieving 6 orders at at time, who handles more merchandise than I would by myself, and who might have contaminated hands or gloves.

Entering the store would cut down at least by one person handling my items, but expose me to the risk of any airborne virus.

Which risk is better?
Check your chain emails and Facebook for advice.

Which risk is better?
Where do shop? Telluride.

Reactions: 76-1
The 1st one. My boyfriend is currently receiving chemo treatments, so he is high-risk. I won’t go in to any business. I order online and pick up. I then use Clorox wipes to wipe down everything before I bring it in the house. I also discard all cardboard boxes.

Reactions: 76-1 and thezinfan1

Which risk is better?

The fact that you are high risk complicates it. Also depends on what you are ordering (try to avoid not-easily wiped items) and what kind of PPE you have. My best guess would be to either order/pickup or do delivery. I would hope those services are taking precautions. Random folks at the store? I've seen some pretty gross people.

Which risk is better?

In my neighborhood/area, there are younger people and other organizations volunteering to pick up and deliver groceries for higher risk people. I believe they just drop it off on your front porch too. You may have already considered this option but thought I'd throw it out there.

Here's one example: https://www.denvergov.org/content/d...oronavirus-info/donations---volunteering.html

https://www.alittlehelp.org/content/get-help

If you do not choose the delivery, get it out front. People pass each other in aisles, 6 foot is a total dream.

You want to limit your exposure to other people as much as possible, so online without a doubt. Dr F has answered various versions of this question, and the virus transmits from people, airesol, droplets, 99.99999% vs. surfaces like plastic and paper bags, cardboard. Pull up, pop your trunk, they will load and then shut.

If you’re ocd about it like me, drive home and let non perishable stuff sit in the trunk for a bit. Take the rest, veggies and fruit out of the plastic and discard. Load frozen into the freezer. Throw away all bags, plastic, wash your hands, then wipe down the surfaces you touched.

If you have a delivery option like Instacart, just have them leave it at your doorstep and text you.

You want to limit your exposure to other people as much as possible, so online without a doubt. Dr F has answered various versions of this question, and the virus transmits from people, airesol, droplets, 99.99999% vs. surfaces like plastic and paper bags, cardboard. Pull up, pop your trunk, they will load and then shut.

If you’re ocd about it like me, drive home and let non perishable stuff sit in the trunk for a bit. Take the rest, veggies and fruit out of the plastic and discard. Load frozen into the freezer. Throw away all bags, plastic, wash your hands, then wipe down the surfaces you touched.

If you have a delivery option like Instacart, just have them leave it at your doorstep and text you.

There's another thread here with a discussion about a Doc who claims hands to face is the most fequent method of infetion. Droplets requre being in the < 6' danger zone for more than a minute or so. But there is also that issue about the virus being suspended for a few hours.

Which risk is better?
Order a water pump/heater from Walmart. Hook it up to your lawn hose.
Have food delivered to your front lawn. Hose it down from six feet for two hours with water at 25C.

Eat whatever’s left.

Link: Grocery Shopping For Dummies.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
There's another thread here with a discussion about a Doc who claims hands to face is the most fequent method of infetion. Droplets requre being in the < 6' danger zone for more than a minute or so. But there is also that issue about the virus being suspended for a few hours.

For airborne virus beyond 6' the issue is viral load, from what I've heard. Meaning a covid cell or 2 is less dangerous than a cluster. I'm not a scientist, but the person who said it is.

I feel reasonably safe at the grocery when it's not crowded.

For airborne virus beyond 6' the issue is viral load, from what I've heard. Meaning a covid cell or 2 is less dangerous than a cluster. I'm not a scientist, but the person who said it is.

That's my general impression also.

Apparently there's an MIT guy saying that 6' standard is meaningless. He posited that it can travel much greater distances. i just got back from the grocery store after 10 days. very few people were engaging in social distancing. people were well within three feet of one another to get items. Annoying. Half of them were the instacart delivery guys exhibiting zero social distancing.

Check your chain emails and Facebook for advice.

giphy.gif

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I would think it depends on how crowded the grocery store is. I went early last Wednesday with a list intended to last 8-9 days and stayed away from people, trying not to even pass anyone in an aisle. My list was organized to spend as little time as possible, based on what I knew about the store layout. i plan to do that again on Friday. I am 57, with no underlying conditions.

I thought about ordering online but they up the price for all items, have lower selection, as you mentioned have somebody handling everything, and are at this point booked up for delivery 5 days in advance.

I've been thinking about this too. For the last week or so, I've been eating through the stock I put in before all hell broke loose. I've still got at least 3-4 weeks on hand. But at some point, I'm going to want to shop so that I don't get below about two weeks worth on hand. For me, I live in Brown County so the only local option is the IGA here, which is a very small grocery. I'm thinking of going there in the next few days when they open for senior hour. The other option is driving to Columbus or Bloomington to a bigger store like Walmart or Kroger and maybe doing the pick-up option. I'm not crazy about that idea. I'll probably go with the first option. I don't need much, but I am starting to crave some snacky things that I'm about out of now like chips, etc.

First world problems...

Thought I lived a disciplined and safe life which put me in a good place given the viral threats out there.

However after reading this thread I feel like a reckless fool who is doomed.

Planned to go grocery shopping next Thursday. Having second thoughts. To do so requires touching the knob on my front door. Thinking now, this would be way too dangerous.

I’ve just scheduled my second delivery. I take everything out wearing gloves and then wipe down items. I’d really like to go to the store, but I’m waiting for special hours at midnight. Some old people are night owls!

I've been thinking about this too. For the last week or so, I've been eating through the stock I put in before all hell broke loose. I've still got at least 3-4 weeks on hand. But at some point, I'm going to want to shop so that I don't get below about two weeks worth on hand. For me, I live in Brown County so the only local option is the IGA here, which is a very small grocery. I'm thinking of going there in the next few days when they open for senior hour. The other option is driving to Columbus or Bloomington to a bigger store like Walmart or Kroger and maybe doing the pick-up option. I'm not crazy about that idea. I'll probably go with the first option. I don't need much, but I am starting to crave some snacky things that I'm about out of now like chips, etc.

First world problems...

keep your old chip bags, and dump your new chips from above not touching the old bag with the new bag, into the old bags, (or some container you have cleaned).

here's some other stuff i do in hopes,

when i get to the store i grab a pristine plastic bag off one of the checkout racks, then stick my hand in the bag and pull the cart using the bag as a glove. (check for holes in bag first).

"bag glove" hand can then also be used to open cooler doors etc as well.

do not touch food items with bag glove hand, as it is now infected on outside of bag, but hopefully still sterile on inside, other than whatever cooties i already had on my hand when i got to store.

when you get to self checkout, grab another pristine plastic bag with bare hand and set it aside.

scan discount card, scan all your purchases and drop them into clean bags at checkout.

when done, insert hand you had been using as glove hand into the new bag you just set aside, to use as a glove again, and hit the touchscreen with a finger inside the bag, using bag as a barrier between finger and screen.

most touchscreens will let you do this, though a few won't.

if you get one that won't, using the bag glove, grab the wand pen next to the merchant card terminal using the bag as a glove, and hit the touchscreen in the place you want to hit it with the pen wand. (the screen will recognize the wand's touch).

after hitting "pay now" and "pay with card", though bag glove, (or with bag glove held wand if necessary), carefully insert card into chip reader with non bagged hand without touching reader, and use bag glove to hit the personal security code buttons.

when approved, carefully remove card without touching terminal, and insert card into another new plastic bag before returning it to your pocket.

you've now checked out without ever touching anything other than your purchases and card.

i prefer the self checkout as it gives you more space, (and is escapable), and the cashier doesn't touch your stuff or bags.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdhoosier and 76-1
I’ve just scheduled my second delivery. I take everything out wearing gloves and then wipe down items. I’d really like to go to the store, but I’m waiting for special hours at midnight. Some old people are night owls!

what "special hours at midnight"?

Kroger now closes at 9 PM and Walmart 8:30 PM.

was hoping to do my shopping at 3 AM with minimal other customers there, but Kroger and Walmart nixed that plan, and compressed the shopping times..

now that the main hording rush has passed, (other than sanitizers and toilet paper), i wish stores would go back to 24 hrs and less compressed shopping hours, as compressed hours make stores much more crowded. (and 10 times more crowed than 3 AM).

this might diminish their ability to clean surfaces, but i fear the crowd far more, and i can avoid touching anything other than items i purchase anyway.

Last edited:
The other option is driving to Columbus or Bloomington to a bigger store like Walmart or Kroger and maybe doing the pick-up option. I'm not crazy about that idea. I'll probably go with the first option. I don't need much, but I am starting to crave some snacky things that I'm about out of now like chips, etc.
I have done all my junk food shopping at Big Lots for years. They have everything I want in that category (chips, cookies, nuts, sports drinks, etc.), their store brands are good, and they are never crowded. I haven't made a run since the shit hit the fan, but am due. Any time I've been by there lately it looks like there aren't any cars in the parking lot to speak of. Yes, I know it would be out of your way, but not any more than WalMart. Actually closer if you come around the 46 bypass.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
I have done all my junk food shopping at Big Lots for years. They have everything I want in that category (chips, cookies, nuts, sports drinks, etc.), their store brands are good, and they are never crowded. I haven't made a run since the shit hit the fan, but am due. Any time I've been by there lately it looks like there aren't any cars in the parking lot to speak of. Yes, I know it would be out of your way, but not any more than WalMart. Actually closer if you come around the 46 bypass.
Thanks for that. I might hit Big Lots. I'd rather go about anywhere other than Walmart. Especially the Walmart in Btown. That may be the hardest-to-get-to and least pleasant Walmart experience I've ever encountered.

Thanks for that. I might hit Big Lots. I'd rather go about anywhere other than Walmart. Especially the Walmart in Btown. That may be the hardest-to-get-to and least pleasant Walmart experience I've ever encountered.
Like I said, it's never crowded. It's also fairly "roomy". You can easily keep a safe distance. If nothing else, you can hit Big Lots and then hit Kroger since it's right across the road. Of course, that west 3rd Kroger is always crowded and dark with narrow aisles and shitty parking. I hate it. Even though west 3rd is much closer, I always go to the northside store if I have to make a Kroger run.

Like I said, it's never crowded. It's also fairly "roomy". You can easily keep a safe distance. If nothing else, you can hit Big Lots and then hit Kroger since it's right across the road. Of course, that west 3rd Kroger is always crowded and dark with narrow aisles and shitty parking. I hate it. Even though west 3rd is much closer, I always go to the northside store if I have to make a Kroger run.

Or Fresh Thyme - also in that neck of the woods. Maybe less for true junk food, but some good produce, bakery and meat items, and decent sales. The parking lots of all of these places on the westside are just about the worst-designed I've seen - including Trader Joe's.

C&C - sorry to hear of your health woes. Have you called the IGA to see if they might have anything to help out those who are more at risk? Not sure they have the staffing for that (and you may already know what's viable).

Also (to all) - wash yo' damn hands.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Like I said, it's never crowded. It's also fairly "roomy". You can easily keep a safe distance. If nothing else, you can hit Big Lots and then hit Kroger since it's right across the road.
Or Fresh Thyme - also in that neck of the woods. Maybe less for true junk food, but some good produce, bakery and meat items, and decent sales.
Went to Big Lots for my junk food and then next door to Fresh Thyme for the serving wench. Both were close to deserted, and both appeared to be well stocked. Chatted up a state trooper in line at Fresh Thyme -- asked if people had been behaving themselves. He said they really had, all things considered. I then added "Except for the college kids on frat row." He replied that that was a "bit misguided."

Reactions: hoosboot and 76-1
Or Fresh Thyme - also in that neck of the woods. Maybe less for true junk food, but some good produce, bakery and meat items, and decent sales. The parking lots of all of these places on the westside are just about the worst-designed I've seen - including Trader Joe's.

C&C - sorry to hear of your health woes. Have you called the IGA to see if they might have anything to help out those who are more at risk? Not sure they have the staffing for that (and you may already know what's viable).

Also (to all) - wash yo' damn hands.
Thanks, no I haven't called the IGA. I still have a lot on hand and haven't been in there in probably a week. They do have 'old-folks' hour when they open in the morning - I think 7 or 8am. I can go then when I need to.

Reactions: tried&true

Which risk is better?
A couple weeks ago you said you were too old to care. Why the concern now?

Went to Kroger at 0715 with my bride. She had a "two-week list" and we found everything but one item, hand sanitizer. Spent $212.00, which we never do, for a full cart.

Wasn't crowded and the only area that wasn't well-stocked was the cleaning products aisle.

Saw about 50% with masks or improvised scarves wrapped around noses and mouths.

Reactions: 76-1 and hoosboot
Went to Kroger at 0715 with my bride. She had a "two-week list" and we found everything but one item, hand sanitizer. Spent $212.00, which we never do, for a full cart.

Wasn't crowded and the only area that wasn't well-stocked was the cleaning products aisle.

Saw about 50% with masks or improvised scarves wrapped around noses and mouths.

Sounds like my experience at our store on Tuesday. Went to Smart & Final, kind of a grocery focused warehouse store, and got some industrial sized stuff (25 pound bag of flour, jumbo butter package, etc.) as it seem like folks around here people are starting to hunker down for what appears to be a big surge. CO. Hoosier, did you get to the store? Hope that you (and CreamandCrimson) can get what you need!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT