ADVERTISEMENT

Greta Van Fleet ...

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
So, the song Built By Nations came across my radar over the weekend. I listened to it a couple times. That's a bad ass riff. Of course there's the Zep influence and all. I can get past that. So of course after I fall in love with this riff, I have to go to my guilty pleasure, Marty Schwartz, and learn the song.

Takes about 20 seconds, oh, this is The Ocean, Jake just couldn't get his pinky on the low E string on the 8th fret, so he almost, kinda, made it his own. I can get past that.

Then I go to listen to some live shows, like my whole heart is trying to rally around the band. That singers voice is 85% Plant, 10% Geddy Lee and there's some like Hobbit stuff in there too. His power is addicting.

So now, off to some live shows. I'm completely open minded, completely wanting to love this band.

After about 5 minutes of some strong riffing and some good verses and choruses and stuff the band starts to jam ........

This is where things fall apart. Moments of, UGH. Not good. Give it time, they'll get out of it, more cringe, more UGH.

Then, I'm like damn .. that's sounds like me, and not in a good way. It's like the guitarist has learned certain standard guitar techniques and is just trying to shove them in where ever he could.

Then I listened to another live show. Rinse and repeat.

After my 3 hour exploration in Greta Van Fleet I came away really disappointed and not because of the Zepplin thing, just because damn, scratch the surface and there's really nothing there.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Holy Shit. They're from Michigan but is he affecting a British accent?

At least they play their own instruments. That's where we're at now.

Rock was a reflection of the 50's/60's/70's and the rebelliousness of the period but it became corporate and neutered (not completely, don't @ me). Then hip hop, but same trajectory. Now the new outlaw country is trying to carry the mantle. Somebody will ruin that too.

So after the genius of Zeppelin, some 40 years on, you get a copycat which appears to be an inch deep and a mile wide.

It's literally the Galaxy Quest of music. Like what music might be if Led Zeppelin were the only thing anybody ever knew.

Murica

So, the song Built By Nations came across my radar over the weekend. I listened to it a couple times. That's a bad ass riff. Of course there's the Zep influence and all. I can get past that. So of course after I fall in love with this riff, I have to go to my guilty pleasure, Marty Schwartz, and learn the song.

Takes about 20 seconds, oh, this is The Ocean, Jake just couldn't get his pinky on the low E string on the 8th fret, so he almost, kinda, made it his own. I can get past that.

Then I go to listen to some live shows, like my whole heart is trying to rally around the band. That singers voice is 85% Plant, 10% Geddy Lee and there's some like Hobbit stuff in there too. His power is addicting.

So now, off to some live shows. I'm completely open minded, completely wanting to love this band.

After about 5 minutes of some strong riffing and some good verses and choruses and stuff the band starts to jam ........

This is where things fall apart. Moments of, UGH. Not good. Give it time, they'll get out of it, more cringe, more UGH.

Then, I'm like damn .. that's sounds like me, and not in a good way. It's like the guitarist has learned certain standard guitar techniques and is just trying to shove them in where ever he could.

Then I listened to another live show. Rinse and repeat.

After my 3 hour exploration in Greta Van Fleet I came away really disappointed and not because of the Zepplin thing, just because damn, scratch the surface and there's really nothing there.
I'm not a musician (insert upcoming TMP insult here!) but I like them. I think it is formula and a total LZ ripoff, but at least it's rock. Saw them in concert with some friends and my son and it was a great show. Maybe as a musician, you can't help but dissect it to the point that it's annoying, but to kick back with friends on a gorgeous Spring Carolina evening, it was great. I don't listen to them often, but I do like listening when I row and need something that rocks and gets me energized.

I saw them perform and be interviewed on one of the late night shows and found them a little annoying when talking. But that singer can scream and use his voice much like Robert Plant did, and it's different than any other new music I've heard in awhile.

Rock was a reflection of the 50's/60's/70's and the rebelliousness of the period but it became corporate and neutered (not completely, don't @ me). Then hip hop, but same trajectory. Now the new outlaw country is trying to carry the mantle. Somebody will ruin that too.

So after the genius of Zeppelin, some 40 years on, you get a copycat which appears to be an inch deep and a mile wide.

It's literally the Galaxy Quest of music. Like what music might be if Led Zeppelin were the only thing anybody ever knew.

Murica
Ha! No one with a worse fake accent than Billy Joe Armstrong. Dudes from California with a fake english punk accent. UGH. And he made a fortune playing Canon in D with a distortion pedal. I effin hate Green Day.

Without Nirvana, Green day never makes it out of the crap San Fran club scene there were in.

People say Nirvana was right place, right time. Nah... that would be Green Day. They were just the safer version of Nirvana.

Sorry for the rant. But fake singing accents- Billy Joe - Winner.

Reactions: F.Fletch and larsIU
Ha! No one with a worse fake accent than Billy Joe Armstrong. Dudes from California with a fake english punk accent. UGH. And he made a fortune playing Canon in D with a distortion pedal. I effin hate Green Day.

Without Nirvana, Green day never makes it out of the crap San Fran club scene there were in.

People say Nirvana was right place, right time. Nah... that would be Green Day. They were just the safer version of Nirvana.

Sorry for the rant. But fake singing accents- Billy Joe - Winner.
So I caught my daughter (teenager) wearing a Nirvana sweatshirt the other day and said I'd give her $100 if she could name one Nirvana song. I won. But I did get her to watch a few youtube vids for Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden. Alas, it probably didn't make a dent but I'm trying.

So I caught my daughter (teenager) wearing a Nirvana sweatshirt the other day and said I'd give her $100 if she could name one Nirvana song. I won. But I did get her to watch a few youtube vids for Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden. Alas, it probably didn't make a dent but I'm trying.
It would be like a kid today watching Michael Jackson's Billy Jean live at Motown 25 in 1983, the first time he 'moonwalked' on Television.

He only 'moonwalked' like less than 5 seconds. But when you saw that live in 83 it was a game changer.

I'm sure a kid watching it today, wouldn't make a dent.

It would be like a kid today watching Michael Jackson's Billy Jean live at Motown 25 in 1983, the first time he 'moonwalked' on Television.

He only 'moonwalked' like less than 5 seconds. But when you saw that live in 83 it was a game changer.

I'm sure a kid watching it today, wouldn't make a dent.
Shemp Howard did it first.

Greta Van Fleet is an affront to music. I’d rather rock die than to have to suffer through their massive charade.

Greta Van Fleet is an affront to music. I’d rather rock die than to have to suffer through their massive charade.
I really wanted to like them, but when they started claiming that they weren't really influenced by Zep, I just kind of wandered away and haven't made it back around to them.

Reactions: DANC

Murica

th

Reactions: larsIU
I really wanted to like them, but when they started claiming that they weren't really influenced by Zep, I just kind of wandered away and haven't made it back around to them.
So you don't listen to music by douchebags? That severely limits the options.

Put their playlist on again and liked it again. Good enough for me.

So you don't listen to music by douchebags? That severely limits the options.

Put their playlist on again and liked it again. Good enough for me.
Oh, I listen to plenty of douchebags. I just haven't listened to these douchebags in a while and haven't really had a reason to turn them on again.

Reactions: Warison
Good Topic - Total Douchebags you listen too:

Off the top of my head, I tortured myself listening to Sob Rock by John Mayer yesterday.

Just awful.

Not a John Mayer fan. And everything I hear from him reminds my why.

Reactions: sluggo69
I think Douchebag Rock is a SXM channel in the 700s. Music you enjoy, written and performed by douchebags.

It plays a lot of Oasis, U2, Smiths/Morrisey, Nugent, Sex Pistols and Roger Waters.

Reactions: kkott and Warison
Oh, I listen to plenty of douchebags. I just haven't listened to these douchebags in a while and haven't really had a reason to turn them on again.
I really like their music when I listen to it, but for whatever the reason, the only time I seek it out is when I'm rowing, and then it's probaby my most common playlist. Go figure.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I really like their music when I listen to it, but for whatever the reason, the only time I seek it out is when I'm rowing, and then it's probaby my most common playlist. Go figure.
Nothing wrong with listening to D-Bags. To your earlier point, without them, choices would be limited. Hell, today's country music radio has douchebag pretty boy hacks as the cornerstone of their business model.

Nothing wrong with listening to D-Bags. To your earlier point, without them, choices would be limited. Hell, today's country music radio has douchebag pretty boy hacks as the cornerstone of their business model.
You basically have to be a proud douchebag to play today's Nashville Country.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
i guess this thread means the world probably isn't going to agree on religion or form of govt either.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
t's like the guitarist has learned certain standard guitar techniques and is just trying to shove them in where ever he could.
He's no Jimmy Page that's for sure. And it doesn't matter if it's simplistic or not what matters is his ideas and how it sounds. But I agree with you, it just seems to lack ....

He's no Jimmy Page that's for sure. And it doesn't matter if it's simplistic or not what matters is his ideas and how it sounds. But I agree with you, it just seems to lack ....
Oh I would take his skills in a second. They are young enough that he can only get better. If he’s a real guitarist he knows this. He can’t look back at some live shows and think he doesn’t have some holes in there, but what a spot to be in.

What does that mean?
I'm being a bitter old man. The idea was that they are, at a minimum, musicians. Seemingly good ones. They lack originality.

I'm certainly not as well versed as you, but it seems new rock is harder to find these days in an era of manufactured music. I'm probably just not looking hard enough. Consider that comment for what it was, flippant. Meh

Reactions: T.M.P.
Oh I would take his skills in a second. They are young enough that he can only get better. If he’s a real guitarist he knows this. He can’t look back at some live shows and think he doesn’t have some holes in there, but what a spot to be in.
fwiw - ultimately it comes down to the creative ideas and nothing else.

I'm in the same boat as you on GVF .. there's just something that's not there.

I'm being a bitter old man. The idea was that they are, at a minimum, musicians. Seemingly good ones. They lack originality.

I'm certainly not as well versed as you, but it seems new rock is harder to find these days in an era of manufactured music. I'm probably just not looking hard enough. Consider that comment for what it was, flippant. Meh
As long as it's not manufactured but instead a representation of someone's creativity then it's music and art.

When it is manufactured using paint by number songwriting techniques often done by people in a songwriting factory, and presented to the public by a performance clown who had nothing to do with the creation.. then it's a disposable product.

Reactions: stollcpa and larsIU
As long as it's not manufactured but instead a representation of someone's creativity then it's music and art.

When it is manufactured using paint by number songwriting techniques often done by people in a songwriting factory, and presented to the public by a performance clown who had nothing to do with the creation.. then it's a disposable product.
You just described Nashville.

You just described Nashville.
and boy bands, and strippers that don't strip, and do wop, and the brill building, and Elvis, and american idol ... and now a lot of mainstream hip hop.

Same thing, only the clown outfits, instruments and accents change.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa and larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT