ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Popovich ramblings...

I've been on the poorer end most of my life. I don't see how I've had this great advantage. What I would like to see is for School Choice to be done everywhere. This way those in the inner city who have terrible schools can take their kids out and go somewhere else. If I did have an advantage it was that I went to Washington High School which is far better than those inner city schools. But you see we had black students in Washington. I would say they had the exact same advantage as I did. In fact one of the black girls was a far better student than I was.

White privilege is about so much more than "being poor", or growing up with a few of the same disadvantages common in Black America. You never had to live day in day out with most of society telling you directly, but more indirectly that you are lesser, that your people are lesser, more prone to crime, dumber, and on and on. Sales people didn't smirk or follow you around when you went in stores, or cops and other authority figures doing similar. Same with teachers, bankers, apartment managers, etc... if you tried to get credit. It's not to say that those odds can't be overcome, they are everyday, it's just a much harder climb if you're black and much more responsibility falls on you, with much less help. Often those telling you you can't are family and others in your own community who have already given up, or discourage you from trying for "trying to be white". It's endemic to our culture and society. You can have 2 identical kids in terms of economic and family status and if one is black and the other is white, the deck is still stacked greatly against the black kid and it's a much greater struggle. I grew up in a single parent, modest upbringing with a Dad who was abusive and violent and who killed himself when I was 10. I still had it much easier than black kids in my community in similar situations, without a doubt.

No question it's much better today and getting better. But guessing at your age, it's not the same at all.

I love when people think celebrities should not have an opinion. Their opinion is worth just as much as the opinions in your post. It just so happens they have a bigger platform than you, due to their success.
To your knowledge, does Laura Ingraham support Roseanne Barr's right to express a celebrity opinion more than she supports Lebron James' right to express a celebrity opinion?

Seyton has become humorless lately.

Is his personal life in free fall again or something?

ADVERTISEMENT