ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Frey to Michigan question...

Would Heard have had a greater future had he remained at Ole Miss, given his lateral position move?
I don't know what he was promised when he came to IU.

If he felt he was being groomed for an OC position, then he would have been in a better position.

Then again, moving from Ole Miss to IU isn't going to a better FB school, is it? Excel at IU and you've really proved yourself.

I heard that the Hoosiers actually were 8-4 last season. Calls made my illegal referees skewed the numbers unfairly.

Does anyone know if its official? This is critical point...anyone know the facts? Ummm...no "alternate" facts please...vbg.

Does anyone know if its official? This is critical point...anyone know the facts? Ummm...no "alternate" facts please...vbg.

We haven't heard that it's official yet, or even that Michigan made a formal offer.

I would assume that the process appearing to be moving somewhat slow is a good sign for IU, either no offer has been extended or Frey is mulling his options.

However, with Harbaugh you never know. If you told me he likes to conduct his interviews after people have been held in solitary confinement for 48 hrs as some sort of psychological endurance test, I'd be prone to believe it.

I would assume that the process appearing to be moving somewhat slow is a good sign for IU, either no offer has been extended or Frey is mulling his options.

However, with Harbaugh you never know. If you told me he likes to conduct his interviews after people have been held in solitary confinement for 48 hrs as some sort of psychological endurance test, I'd be prone to believe it.
I am hoping that he will pass or give IU a chance to match the offer. Oth, I am betting the offer is contingent on immediate acceptance.

So I heard Harbaugh likes to conduct his interviews after people have been held in solitary confinement for 48 hrs as some sort of psychological endurance test.

I am hoping that he will pass or give IU a chance to match the offer. Oth, I am betting the offer is contingent on immediate acceptance.

Frey made $376k in 2016. Tim Drevno at UM made $880k. Now he was also part coordinator so I don't know what they would offer Frey. Definitely say it's likely much higher than IU budgeted though.

I'm guessing that if we can't offer 590k & a trip to Rome for the family that we are going to have a tough time keeping him.

Just spitballing here but I doubt our AD has built up a lot of goodwill with KW's original staff over the past couple of years...

It might Even take 700k + bonuses to keep him!

He's worth that, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sassy61
I'm guessing that if we can't offer 590k & a trip to Rome for the family that we are going to have a tough time keeping him.

Just spitballing here but I doubt our AD has built up a lot of goodwill with KW's original staff over the past couple of years...

It might Even take 700k + bonuses to keep him!

He's worth that, in my opinion.
Just put the trip to Rome down as a basketball recruiting trip. IU will never notice another $20k or so out of a nation-leading recruiting budget.

Was a good run, liked him and clearly he helped shepherd 2 kids to NFL last 2 years. That said, it never feels good when someone wants to go elsehwhere (bigger and better syndrome) though it could also be very understandable if Michigan is maybe doubling his salary...and it's a top 5 caliber program, it's an opportunity for him.

Don't know if he wanted the OC spot at IU and felt snubbed? Who knows and really don't wish him anything but good luck and if you want out, time to go for everybody's best interests.

Mainly glad it's happening now. Let Allen put another one of "his people" in the role. There are clearly other very good OL coaches in the world and love to have someone who is all in for IU in the spot. There were injuries but a frank assessment of this year's Oline was probably a B to B-. Didn't think they cleared the run game like in past and pass protection was good but not consistently great. Sometimes change is good. New leadership, new people!

Ideally would like to get an "up and comer" in that role who would be excited to be at Indiana, perhaps has some IU/Indiana ties, and who wants to learn from the experienced OC and fellow offensive coaches who make up a good team. He's still perhaps too young, but a Colin Rarhrig type guy who worked tail off, played some NFL, bleeds IU and would bring a lot of energy to the position. Maybe guy like that but who has coached at collegiate level?

Reactions: 10yrProject
Was a good run, liked him and clearly he helped shepherd 2 kids to NFL last 2 years. That said, it never feels good when someone wants to go elsehwhere (bigger and better syndrome) though it could also be very understandable if Michigan is maybe doubling his salary...and it's a top 5 caliber program, it's an opportunity for him.

Don't know if he wanted the OC spot at IU and felt snubbed? Who knows and really don't wish him anything but good luck and if you want out, time to go for everybody's best interests.

Mainly glad it's happening now. Let Allen put another one of "his people" in the role. There are clearly other very good OL coaches in the world and love to have someone who is all in for IU in the spot. There were injuries but a frank assessment of this year's Oline was probably a B to B-. Didn't think they cleared the run game like in past and pass protection was good but not consistently great. Sometimes change is good. New leadership, new people!

Ideally would like to get an "up and comer" in that role who would be excited to be at Indiana, perhaps has some IU/Indiana ties, and who wants to learn from the experienced OC and fellow offensive coaches who make up a good team. He's still perhaps too young, but a Colin Rarhrig type guy who worked tail off, played some NFL, bleeds IU and would bring a lot of energy to the position. Maybe guy like that but who has coached at collegiate level?
I give you Justin Frye. He's currently OL coach/running game coordinator at Boston College.

Oh please be right. There is no way,to overstate the importance to Wilsons rising sucess than Frey. Hes that good. Football is won and lost in the trenches...period. Frey has us competing with the top lines in the country. He is rara avis...virtually irreplaceable. Hes that good. Anyone that thinks we will just go out and hire an equal replacement should give me some of what their smoking. He and Wilson were tight...cut from the same cloth. Keeping him was going to be a challenge anyway. Lets all share a communal prayer to the Gods of Football that the Hand of Haurbaug passes us by...vbg.

WE LOST OUR OFFENSIVE LINE COACH!!! WE'RE RUINED!

Looks like I'll be retired before we return to a bowl game again. So I should at least be able to travel to it. (Even if I have to go all the way to Detroit.)

I give you Justin Frye. He's currently OL coach/running game coordinator at Boston College.

I got to know Justin while covering the Hoosiers for The Herald-Times. In reading your post, I thought of a story I wrote in 2007 in which he talked about his coaching ambitions.

Frye inspired by father and Hoeppner
New Hoosier football assistant never worries about third-and-long in life
By Doug Wilson
August 9, 2007

As Justin Frye helps instruct Indiana’s offensive linemen, he notices sometimes that he’s using his dad’s words.

That’s not surprising for Frye, a 2006 IU team captain, who has started his coaching career as a graduate assistant for the Hoosiers.

Frye grew up on football. His dad, Kevin, a tight end and fullback on IU’s 1979 Holiday Bowl team, was the coach at Elwood High School for years until losing a seven-year battle with cancer and brain tumors in May 2006.

As Frye helps coach the Hoosiers, he also uses the words of Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner, who died in June after an 18-month battle with a brain tumor.

“Football is life sped up,” is one of Hoeppner’s phrases that Frye has adopted, using it to describe, for instance, how you never give up on third and long.

In football and in life, when Frye has faced third and long, he has worried more about others than himself, a trait he inherited from his dad who was always concerned about how his cancer affected his players and students.

With the IU offensive line desperately short on experience last season, Frye willingly moved from left tackle to his fifth different starting position, center, to help the team. He says his attitude is to always try to figure out how he can make a situation better.

“ I lost my dad and it was awful, but now my mom and my sister need me to be there for them, so that’s what I’m doing,” he said. “Coach Hep passed away and a lot of the guys have come to me because my dad died, that’s my spot right now. I think of my dad and Hep every day, but you’ve got to keep going.”

IU offensive line coach Bobby Johnson said Frye is one of the few offensive linemen he’s worked with who understands not just his job, but the bigger picture of the entire game. That comes from learning from his dad from a young age, Johnson said.

“You can see it in the way he talks about things,” Johnson said. “He understands football, not just line play and I think that has a lot to do with it.”

Johnson said that if he’s ever in a position to hire assistant coaches, Frye’s a guy he would definitely try to hire.

“He’s good with the players,” Johnson said. “He’s good with the Xs and Os and he’ll be a good recruiter when it comes to that time.”

Frye was talking with agents about taking a run at a pro career when Johnson called him in December to offer him a job as a graduate assistant. Having long known he wanted to be a coach like his dad, Frye accepted the offer.

Now, Frye says his ultimate goal is to become an assistant coach at Indiana because he loves IU and Bloomington and considers them home. His dream beyond that goal is to, years from now, advance beyond assistant coach.

“If I’m the head coach at Indiana University, now that’s an achievement,” he said.

http://ww.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2007/08/09/iusports.qp-0432870.sto

If only it was that easy. Lots of good up and comers in the assistant ranks...

But none are GF...you just dont replace a coach of his level on a whim. Hes a rare find. Im sure Coach Allen will find someone adaguate but...

...theres a reason a top 5 program just hired him. Hes the best imo. You wont find two of them back to back...theyre at top paying programs.

You can laugh, make snide quips all the want, slip on the rose colored glasses all anyone wants....this is a big blow. We will survive certainly. We may even find a good one.

But he will have a lot of proving to do. Frey was the 1st...and I mean 1st among IU assistant coaches...and weve had a bunch...to recruit, train, and field a top 10 nationally offensive line. Weve not seen it before...not sure we will see it again.

Never lose sight of all the running yards IUs back have accumulated over the last 4 years. That was all Wilson and Frey.

Their "affect" should remain for next season but not much beyond. Well have to wait until then to see what we have as a replacement. Ive got my fingers and toes crossed.

Last edited:
Hey, chicken littlesss, we'll be fine!!!
Not saying Frey's departure lacks significance, but his value is being overstated somewhat. He is and will continue to be an a very good offensive line coach, but the portrayal of him as some kind of irreplaceable miracle worker isn't realistic or remotely accurate.

If you trust Allen, trust him to find an able replacement.

Not saying Frey's departure lacks significance, but his value is being overstated somewhat. He is and will continue to be an a very good offensive line coach, but the portrayal of him as some kind of irreplaceable miracle worker isn't realistic or remotely accurate.

I disagree. Look at how good your o-line has been the last several years and the guys you've sent to the NFL.

He was one of (if not the best) coaches on your staff. Losing him is a really big deal.
He is good, no doubt, but there are a bunch of good coaches out there, we will find a good replacement . Not worried in the least , we are putting together a solid recruiting class , the future is bright.

Reactions: hootiehoosier
I disagree. Look at how good your o-line has been the last several years and the guys you've sent to the NFL.
Spriggs and now Feeney are or will be in the NFL, and a couple others were in camps. His legacy at IU has been solid, but it's been a little overstated.

Frey is a huge loss. Top 5 OL coach, dynamite recruiter. Under his tutelage, Spriggs, a low-ranked TE coming out of Elkhart was molded into 2 round LT. Feeney, a low ranked OL from Illinois was coached up into a probably 2-3 rounder. Coy Cronk was a freshman all B10 performer, starting every game at LT as a true freshman after being a middling recruit in the 2016 class. Frey is worth his weigh in gold. Michigan stole him.

No insult intended....you know not of what you speak. But no reason to argue...proof will be in the pudding...vbg.

No insult intended....you know not of what you speak. But no reason to argue...proof will be in the pudding...vbg.
Asked this a few days ago . . . to whom in the college or pro ranks would you compare him as you know much more about him and offensive line coaches than do I. Thanks.

Coach Frey will be hard to replace with the level of recruitment and coaching he delivered. I do wish him well except when we play. Our O line play has been well above our norm the past 3-4 years. Hopefully we will fill the position with a coach who can build upon the foundation that has already been laid. I would be interested in hearing how hard we tried to keep him with a counter offer?

Coach Frey will be hard to replace with the level of recruitment and coaching he delivered. I do wish him well except when we play. Our O line play has been well above our norm the past 3-4 years. Hopefully we will fill the position with a coach who can build upon the foundation that has already been laid. I would be interested in hearing how hard we tried to keep him with a counter offer?

I agree he is a strong recruiter and coach and IU's OL performance under his efforts has been far beyond our norm. As I posted previously, IU has had six first team all-americans offensive linemen in the entire history of the program. Six! Frey, in six years, has produced two of the six. We will never know, but I too would love to know what was done to try to keep him.

I agree he is a strong recruiter and coach and IU's OL performance under his efforts has been far beyond our norm. As I posted previously, IU has had six first team all-americans offensive linemen in the entire history of the program. Six! Frey, in six years, has produced two of the six. We will never know, but I too would love to know what was done to try to keep him.
Helping the OL reputation is having 2 NFL RBs the last few years.

How did we do last year with more average RBs? Not so much.

Helping the OL reputation is having 2 NFL RBs the last few years.

How did we do last year with more average RBs? Not so much.

I hope I don't seem combative, but I actually thought it was one of Frey's best efforts last year. Gained almost 2,000 yds rushing (1,979) and had a thousand yard rusher, all while losing the right side of your line that included an all-american and senior OT for at least four games and having to play a true freshman 100% of the time at LT, since his time-sharing partner had to move to RT. Yes sacks were up, but working with a new QB who had less than a year in the program. Pretty nice job of coaching, to my thinking .

I got to know Justin while covering the Hoosiers for The Herald-Times. In reading your post, I thought of a story I wrote in 2007 in which he talked about his coaching ambitions.

Frye inspired by father and Hoeppner
New Hoosier football assistant never worries about third-and-long in life
By Doug Wilson
August 9, 2007

As Justin Frye helps instruct Indiana’s offensive linemen, he notices sometimes that he’s using his dad’s words.

That’s not surprising for Frye, a 2006 IU team captain, who has started his coaching career as a graduate assistant for the Hoosiers.

Frye grew up on football. His dad, Kevin, a tight end and fullback on IU’s 1979 Holiday Bowl team, was the coach at Elwood High School for years until losing a seven-year battle with cancer and brain tumors in May 2006.

As Frye helps coach the Hoosiers, he also uses the words of Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner, who died in June after an 18-month battle with a brain tumor.

“Football is life sped up,” is one of Hoeppner’s phrases that Frye has adopted, using it to describe, for instance, how you never give up on third and long.

In football and in life, when Frye has faced third and long, he has worried more about others than himself, a trait he inherited from his dad who was always concerned about how his cancer affected his players and students.

With the IU offensive line desperately short on experience last season, Frye willingly moved from left tackle to his fifth different starting position, center, to help the team. He says his attitude is to always try to figure out how he can make a situation better.

“ I lost my dad and it was awful, but now my mom and my sister need me to be there for them, so that’s what I’m doing,” he said. “Coach Hep passed away and a lot of the guys have come to me because my dad died, that’s my spot right now. I think of my dad and Hep every day, but you’ve got to keep going.”

IU offensive line coach Bobby Johnson said Frye is one of the few offensive linemen he’s worked with who understands not just his job, but the bigger picture of the entire game. That comes from learning from his dad from a young age, Johnson said.

“You can see it in the way he talks about things,” Johnson said. “He understands football, not just line play and I think that has a lot to do with it.”

Johnson said that if he’s ever in a position to hire assistant coaches, Frye’s a guy he would definitely try to hire.

“He’s good with the players,” Johnson said. “He’s good with the Xs and Os and he’ll be a good recruiter when it comes to that time.”

Frye was talking with agents about taking a run at a pro career when Johnson called him in December to offer him a job as a graduate assistant. Having long known he wanted to be a coach like his dad, Frye accepted the offer.

Now, Frye says his ultimate goal is to become an assistant coach at Indiana because he loves IU and Bloomington and considers them home. His dream beyond that goal is to, years from now, advance beyond assistant coach.

“If I’m the head coach at Indiana University, now that’s an achievement,” he said.

http://ww.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2007/08/09/iusports.qp-0432870.sto
Holy crap, sounds just like Hoeppner, who Allen reminds me of too. Please get on the phone to him ASAP, he's an inspired choice to replace Frye and he likely wouldn't be looking to leave at the drop of a hat (or new offer.)

Genius I say!

I hope I don't seem combative, but I actually thought it was one of Frey's best efforts last year. Gained almost 2,000 yds rushing (1,979) and had a thousand yard rusher, all while losing the right side of your line that included an all-american and senior OT for at least four games and having to play a true freshman 100% of the time at LT, since his time-sharing partner had to move to RT. Yes sacks were up, but working with a new QB who had less than a year in the program. Pretty nice job of coaching, to my thinking .
Pass protection was terrible. And run stats are meaningless without scoring.

Our red zone production was the worst I can remember in a long time.

I'm not trying to argue, either, but on those facts, our OL was average at best.

Reactions: Mr.IU and 82hoosier
I think the real point is Freys worst line this year was...average, which I agree with. Many reasons went into those results but...

Weve gone decades with lines far worse than average. Seems we may be a bit spoiled, even after so short of a success record.

What Frey and Wilson did here with the oline was historic...yes, historic. Weve become used to line excellence very quickly. Its the key to everything else. No RB can excell without a good one...but a good line can make an average back look great.

What those 2 coaches brought to our program has no modern parallel in IU history. Seeing both gone and expecting things to just continue as if they were here is very short sighted. Not saying it cant happen, but if there was a better oline coach than Frey available, Harbaug would have hired him instead of Frey dont you think?

Seems logical anyone we hire will be less desirerable than the one we had. Thats just football, I wish him luck, but his departure will be felt, like it or not. We will recover, but how much is TBD.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT