ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Frey to Michigan question...

Oct 3, 2012
A quick question. There is lots of talk in Ann Arbor that Greg Frey may well be heading to Michigan. I wonder if there is any B'town talk. I didn't see any, so I thought I'd ask.

A quick question. There is lots of talk in Ann Arbor that Greg Frey may well be heading to Michigan. I wonder if there is any B'town talk. I didn't see any, so I thought I'd ask.

He's picking up a whole bunch of new Michigan twitter followers.....media and fans

Where's Drevno headed? He's currently their OL coach.
. Drevno will most likely coach the guards and frey will coach the tackle and te. also in april ncaa is voting to allow 10 assistant coaches. the rule is expected by everyone to pass so alot of teams will have 2 guys coaching 1 position. michigan only has 8 coaches at this time

. Drevno will most likely coach the guards and frey will coach the tackle and te. also in april ncaa is voting to allow 10 assistant coaches. the rule is expected by everyone to pass so alot of teams will have 2 guys coaching 1 position. michigan only has 8 coaches at this time

To me it would be strange to implement the addition of assistant in April, it would just be a free for all, and some smaller programs could easily lose 2 or more assistants, and needing to drastically revamp a coaching staff after spring practice could really hurt a lot of programs. To me, it would make more sense to do so after the next season, when it can occur during normal coaching turnover.

Reactions: syddasloth
To me it would be strange to implement the addition of assistant in April, it would just be a free for all, and some smaller programs could easily lose 2 or more assistants, and needing to drastically revamp a coaching staff after spring practice could really hurt a lot of programs. To me, it would make more sense to do so after the next season, when it can occur during normal coaching turnover.
the ncaa almost never makes sense. schools with a smaller coaching budget could have some problems

Greg Frey was recruiting in Florida with Mark Hagen yesterday. Doesn't seem like a guy that is leaving.

I was under the impression that his wife worked in the athletic office meaning he was a lot "stickier" to this job than most. Of course, when the Wolverines open their checkbook...

We can hire another good O-line coach. I'm worried about losing commits.
Frey is one of the best in the country. Since coming here, weve had AA from the Oline...thats too rare to even debate.

Losing Frey is a major blow to this staff. He brought the first competitive oline I can remember except for an individual fluke or two. Frey had a pipeline that will be next to impossible to duplicate.

Ouch...double ouch...

Frey is one of the best in the country. Since coming here, weve had AA from the Oline...thats too rare to even debate.

Losing Frey is a major blow to this staff. He brought the first competitive oline I can remember except for an individual fluke or two. Frey had a pipeline that will be next to impossible to duplicate.

Ouch...double ouch...

OK, but we don't even know that he's leaving. It's speculation on a Michigan board. Could be wishful thinking honestly.

OK, but we don't even know that he's leaving. It's speculation on a Michigan board. Could be wishful thinking honestly.
Oh please be right. There is no way,to overstate the importance to Wilsons rising sucess than Frey. Hes that good. Football is won and lost in the trenches...period. Frey has us competing with the top lines in the country. He is rara avis...virtually irreplaceable. Hes that good. Anyone that thinks we will just go out and hire an equal replacement should give me some of what their smoking. He and Wilson were tight...cut from the same cloth. Keeping him was going to be a challenge anyway. Lets all share a communal prayer to the Gods of Football that the Hand of Haurbaug passes us by...vbg.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Oh please be right. There is no way,to overstate the importance to Wilsons rising sucess than Frey. Hes that good. Football is won and lost in the trenches...period. Frey has us competing with the top lines in the country. He is rara avis...virtually irreplaceable. Hes that good. Anyone that thinks we will just go out and hire an equal replacement should give me some of what their smoking. He and Wilson were tight...cut from the same cloth. Keeping him was going to be a challenge anyway. Lets all share a communal prayer to the Gods of Football that the Hand of Haurbaug passes us by...vbg.
Don't know much about him.What other college or pro offensive line coaches would you compare him to?

Michigan dumped him once when RichRod got fired.

I hope he remembers that.

He's married to a Bloomington girl.

It's possible he could go, but I hope he realizes the shadow he's going to be under up there. He's a star here - at UM he's just another coach coaching 4 and 5 star players who would be great with or without him.

We need Greg Frey. Pay him.
We've tried to do that before. We matched Hagen's offer at A&M, but it's hard to turn down that job (of course he's back here now). It's hard to turn down Michigan.

Michigan dumped him once when RichRod got fired.

I hope he remembers that.

He's married to a Bloomington girl.

It's possible he could go, but I hope he realizes the shadow he's going to be under up there. He's a star here - at UM he's just another coach coaching 4 and 5 star players who would be great with or without him.

He will be paid more at UM and every year Harbaugh's staff is raided by other teams. He will have all kinds of growth opportunities.

Reactions: studed
He will be paid more at UM and every year Harbaugh's staff is raided by other teams. He will have all kinds of growth opportunities.
No, there will be no growth opportunity if he takes a lateral move to UM. He will always be an OL coach at UM - he will not have proved himself as a Coordinator to move anywhere else. If he wants growth opportunities, he stays at a place where he could more easily move into a Coordinator role - and that's at IU.

I don't know why he would be paid more at UM than IU, but if he is then he's only in it for the money. And I don't believe that's the case with him.

No, there will be no growth opportunity if he takes a lateral move to UM. He will always be an OL coach at UM - he will not have proved himself as a Coordinator to move anywhere else. If he wants growth opportunities, he stays at a place where he could more easily move into a Coordinator role - and that's at IU.

I don't know why he would be paid more at UM than IU, but if he is then he's only in it for the money. And I don't believe that's the case with him.
I thought Allen might make him OC to keep him here. Didn't he start her as a co-OC?
I am totally OK with who Allen has added to the staff, but it might have cost him Frey.

Reactions: IUcolorado
OSU picks up the coach IU just cut loose and now Michigan is after another. This may be one of the most obvious confirmations that IU football has stepped up in terms of finally being able to compete with the big boys in the B1G football conference. At a minimum, the big boys recognize IU is hiring quality coaches.

Well, UM just upped their pool of money for assistants again and as I have said, coaches have left UM the last two seasons for promotions elsewhere and that is something guy's like Frey realize is too good to pass up.

Well, UM just upped their pool of money for assistants again and as I have said, coaches have left UM the last two seasons for promotions elsewhere and that is something guy's like Frey realize is too good to pass up.
I'll never understand why someone from another fan base comes over and makes a post like this. Do you actually believe you're going to influence the decision?

I'll never understand why someone from another fan base comes over and makes a post like this. Do you actually believe you're going to influence the decision?

Not sure that's what he's trying to do.

Frey is gone. Good luck to him.

All I can say is, if he's chasing the money now, he must not have very high goals for himself. Either that or he thinks he doesn't have talent to develop at IU - in which case, that's his fault.

He would have a greater future by staying at IU and then leaving for an OC position, or learning under our veteran OC and taking it over one day in the not-too-distant-future.

But it is what it is. I'm sure we'll find a good OL coach who wants to be here.

Reactions: JCHoosier
This will greatly upset me. Just when it seems we have one of the best staffs around, we take a step backward.
If it's any consolation, our OL wasn't exactly dominant this year. Maybe Frey's string of All-Americans has run out.....

Reactions: Moops
All I can say is, if he's chasing the money now, he must not have very high goals for himself. Either that or he thinks he doesn't have talent to develop at IU - in which case, that's his fault.

He would have a greater future by staying at IU and then leaving for an OC position, or learning under our veteran OC and taking it over one day in the not-too-distant-future.

But it is what it is. I'm sure we'll find a good OL coach who wants to be here.
Would Heard have had a greater future had he remained at Ole Miss, given his lateral position move?

Monday afternoon. Frey is in Ann Arbor right now per @samwebb77 on twitter. Good indicator he is joining UM's staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT