ADVERTISEMENT

Green firing up off balance 3s

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Yes, Green is our best shooter, but why as a Senior does he still attempt high degree of difficulty one on one fall back 3s when with another pass or two gets IU a much better look? "Off the bench Green" is trying to be the microwave scorer and get up as many shots as he can before he goes back to the bench. Because he is streaky, this is a double edge sword. When he is off, his long 3pt misses are long rebounds which turn into transition score runouts for the opposing team, a 4 to 6 point swing. Many times IU had the ball and could have extended the lead only to have Green force up a long distance 3 early in the shot clock, that resulted in an easy transition bucket the other way. One of the reasons iU is so inconsistent, Green as a volume shooter, can shoot you into or out of games.

Last edited:
Yes, Green is our best shooter, but whtvas a Senior does he still attempt high degree of difficulty one on one fall back 3s when with another pass or two IU gets a better look? Off the bench Green is trying to be the microwave and get up as many shots as he can before he goes back to the bench. Because he is streaky, this is a double edge sword when he is off, his misses are long rebounds which turn into transition scores for the other team, a 4 to 6 point swing.

Well, it seems Archie finally got through to the team about getting TJD the ball more, so maybe there's hope to get Green to take better shots. As woeful a shooting team as we are, Green could be such a weapon just waiting for his spots and taking good shots within the flow of the offense. I thought he did take better shots vs MN and he was 3-7 from 3, so that's fine. I just don't think he really understands what a good shot is. To him, once he's made 1, him shooting is a good shot, so I think to some degree we'll have to live with them. But, if we could get him taking 80% of his 3s as truly good looks within the offense, I think he's by far and away our best hope at instantly hitting 3s. I also think Durham and Phinisee should continue to take them when they are good open shots, and even Smith if he's open and feeling it (such a weapon for him if he can force his man to come out and guard him). But, Archie still has work to do for next year to improve our shooting, whether it's with the commits we have, or finding someone else.

Yes, Green is our best shooter, but whtvas a Senior does he still attempt high degree of difficulty one on one fall back 3s when with another pass or two IU gets a better look? Off the bench Green is trying to be the microwave and get up as many shots as he can before he goes back to the bench. Because he is streaky, this is a double edge sword when he is off, his misses are long rebounds which turn into transition scores for the other team, a 4 to 6 point swing.

I can relate to Green, because I can and always have been able to hit those kind of shots in ONE-ON-ONE against my non-D1 level defender friends. Would I pull that in organized basketball at any level, NO WAY! I think that's the problem, he knows he can hit it sometimes at this level still, he's over-confident in it. To him, it is a good shot, vs. getting it to TJD first. To us, it is the BEAST

Last edited:
Reactions: JIMSHAM
Green may be clueless as far as what constitutes a high % shot, but by God he is confident. I wish he had better shot selection. That is the last thing for him to correct to help lead IU to the NCAA Tournament.

Many of these off balance shots occur very late in the shot clock. Green has to take them because IU pi$$ed away too much time dribbling in the backcourt and Green is the only player that IU has that can create his own shot. Green takes way too much heat on this board. IU needs him to win this year.

Many of these off balance shots occur very late in the shot clock. Green has to take them because IU pi$$ed away too much time dribbling in the backcourt and Green is the only player that IU has that can create his own shot. Green takes way too much heat on this board. IU needs him to win this year.
It's not unoften that the reason the shot clock is low is because of Green himself. He'll receive a pass with 15 seconds left, dribble around for 12-13 seconds then jack up a bad shot.

That does happen, but the ball sticks in Green's hands for too long without advancing the ball on the court. Several 3pt misses were early in the shot clock, well behind the 3pt line, the defense basically let him take the low % shot, and got the rebound.

Reactions: Crossblock
It's not unoften that the reason the shot clock is low is because of Green himself. He'll receive a pass with 15 seconds left, dribble around for 12-13 seconds then jack up a bad shot.
Yes, exactly.
Green likes to pound the rock trying to shake his man rather than catch and shoot, or dribble drive and pass.

I don't have an issue with Green shooting the 3. I'd rather have him do it off the ball not creating the shots for others off the dribble as much. His decision creating offense for others is when he gets in trouble.

Yes, exactly.
Green likes to pound the rock trying to shake his man rather than catch and shoot, or dribble drive and pass.
Is that what he likes or the position he is in because of the offense and how he is used?

12 to 13 seconds.

Really?

With Green you get maybe 3 games a year where he comes off the bench and hits 6 -8 3 point shots in 10 or 12 attempts and looks like the second coming of Vinnie Johnson or Kyle Korver on a good night, or maybe the second cousin of Carsen Edwards. He is fine when he can get a shot in transition or a shot within the rhythm of the Offense. When he forces the issue and tries to create a shot for himself, he looks like the 35 year old has been trying to pump up a shot against the young guys on the Court at Rucker Park.

If we learned the lesson the other night that we have to run the Offense through TJD from inside out, he may get better shooting opportunities.

12 to 13 seconds.

Really?
Twice against PSU.

The first time was "only" 10-11 seconds. Near the end of the first half he caught it with 15 or 16 seconds on the shot clock. He heaved a 3 with 5 left.

Around 3-4 minutes left in the second half he caught it with I think 14 seconds on the shot clock. His missed 3 went up with 2 seconds left.

These aren't uncommon plays from him.

Twice against PSU.

The first time was "only" 10-11 seconds. Near the end of the first half he caught it with 15 or 16 seconds on the shot clock. He heaved a 3 with 5 left.

Around 3-4 minutes left in the second half he caught it with I think 14 seconds on the shot clock. His missed 3 went up with 2 seconds left.

These aren't uncommon plays from him.
The ball sticks in Green's hands a lot.

Al and Green are low BB IQ players that you dont want in the game at the end of the game when it is winning time.

Al and Green are low BB IQ players that you dont want in the game at the end of the game when it is winning time.
Neither Durham nor Green? Who would you rather have in the second guard spot? Freshman Franklin? Anderson? Hunter who's not only basically a freshman still but also more of a 3/4 than a 2 at this point? A walk-on?

This team isn't exactly deep at the guard position. Sitting both upperclassmen at the end of a close game doesn't really seem like a great idea. Better to sit Green and play Durham with Phinisee.

Neither Durham nor Green? Who would you rather have in the second guard spot? Freshman Franklin? Anderson? Hunter who's not only basically a freshman still but also more of a 3/4 than a 2 at this point? A walk-on?

This team isn't exactly deep at the guard position. Sitting both upperclassmen at the end of a close game doesn't really seem like a great idea. Better to sit Green and play Durham with Phinisee.
If both Upperclassman make worse mistakes than Freshmen then you can not afford to have them in at the end of a close game. Those mistakes are how you lose close games. I'll tale my chances with Rob and Hunter or Rob and Franklin. Green and Al have proven themselves now multiple times to make poor decisions down the stretch in close games.

Well, it seems Archie finally got through to the team about getting TJD the ball more, so maybe there's hope to get Green to take better shots. As woeful a shooting team as we are, Green could be such a weapon just waiting for his spots and taking good shots within the flow of the offense. I thought he did take better shots vs MN and he was 3-7 from 3, so that's fine. I just don't think he really understands what a good shot is. To him, once he's made 1, him shooting is a good shot, so I think to some degree we'll have to live with them. But, if we could get him taking 80% of his 3s as truly good looks within the offense, I think he's by far and away our best hope at instantly hitting 3s. I also think Durham and Phinisee should continue to take them when they are good open shots, and even Smith if he's open and feeling it (such a weapon for him if he can force his man to come out and guard him). But, Archie still has work to do for next year to improve our shooting, whether it's with the commits we have, or finding someone else.
What occurs to me is that with his reputation of gunning, he could position the floor to fake a few, go up, and pass it inside fast

Yes, Green is our best shooter, but why as a Senior does he still attempt high degree of difficulty one on one fall back 3s when with another pass or two gets IU a much better look? "Off the bench Green" is trying to be the microwave scorer and get up as many shots as he can before he goes back to the bench. Because he is streaky, this is a double edge sword. When he is off, his long 3pt misses are long rebounds which turn into transition score runouts for the opposing team, a 4 to 6 point swing. Many times IU had the ball and could have extended the lead only to have Green force up a long distance 3 early in the shot clock, that resulted in an easy transition bucket the other way. One of the reasons iU is so inconsistent, Green as a volume shooter, can shoot you into or out of games.
Runners, floaters, fade aways, running jump hooks and other shots are common all over. Taking those kind of shots drive me nuts. They are often the result of not being open or having a clear shot but wanting to shoot anyway. Except for a layup where you are using the backboard, falling away or moving toward the basket adds to the level of difficulty. Squaring up and taking good open shots would help our offense.

Runners, floaters, fade aways, running jump hooks and other shots are common all over. Taking those kind of shots drive me nuts. They are often the result of not being open or having a clear shot but wanting to shoot anyway. Except for a layup where you are using the backboard, falling away or moving toward the basket adds to the level of difficulty. Squaring up and taking good open shots would help our offense.
Defense and 30 second clock. You have to be able to hit tough shots. The best scorers in the country don't only hit open shots, they have to hit the tough ones too.

Reactions: Cutter1973
Defense and 30 second clock. You have to be able to hit tough shots. The best scorers in the country don't only hit open shots, they have to hit the tough ones too.
The best scorers are in the NBA, not in HS or college. I am not a fan of the shot clock.

The best scorers are in the NBA, not in HS or college. I am not a fan of the shot clock.

It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not. That's completely irrelevant. And your first statement is .. well .. so wrong it doesn't deserve reply.

It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not. That's completely irrelevant. And your first statement is .. well .. so wrong it doesn't deserve reply.
The best last second shot creators are in the NBA. That is not even disputable, it is fact. That said, the College game was not broken and did not need a shot clock. That was for the casual fan who did not understand or appreciate the 4 corners stall offense, or
the motion offense. Which would break you down defensively and score on high percentage shots on every possession, no matter how long it took to get the good shot. I prefer watching high school games with no shot clock where teams will work for a high percentage shot without having to force up a low percentage shot because the shot clock is about to expire. In HS a shot clock would make play ragged and give a major advantage to team with extreme quickness that press full court which will effectively reduce the length of the shot clock with the ball in the half court.

Last edited:
Reactions: ams66
I really like the shot clock in college, but prefer it to be 35 seconds. Offenses would actually be more efficient and score more points.

Back in the day, I wish there was a 35 second clock in high school. Playing against Loogootee and Jack Butcher was a very painful game. When the Lions got up 4 points and spread it out in the second quarter, it was over!

I really like the shot clock in college, but prefer it to be 35 seconds. Offenses would actually be more efficient and score more points.

Back in the day, I wish there was a 35 second clock in high school. Playing against Loogootee and Jack Butcher was a very painful game. When the Lions got up 4 points and spread it out in the second quarter, it was over!
I love Loogootee's game.
Don't fall behind if you dont want the stall.
I love it!
Part of the strategy of the game within the outline of the rules. Smart coaching, he did not win those hundreds of games at a small school for nothing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT