ADVERTISEMENT

Green catches a pointed question in the presser

frikkenfrakken

All-Big Ten
Jan 14, 2005
Someone asks him why he can drop 27 one game and 0 the next. His response: (paraphrasing)...i don't know how to answer that. I get inconsistent when I'm inconsistent.

Makes sense.

It was extremely uncomfortable...

I dont think what you wrote does justice at all to how unnerving it was.

I rewound my DVR and sent to a few friends...it was a dick to question the way he did...and Devonte was obviously unready and uneasy w his response...

Archie let Green be free were not going anywhere without him Archie has to deal with good and bad also playing Race and Hunter over Smith was a great coaching decision. Great win..

I rewound my DVR and sent to a few friends...it was a dick to question the way he did...and Devonte was obviously unready and uneasy w his response...
Can you post it here?

It was a totally fair question, it was just asked in such a dickish way, and the followup retort was worse. Greens response was odd, but I think 1) he's not good at interviews, and 2) the tone totally threw him.

Honestly, with Miller's comments later, it almost made me wonder if the question was a plant. I think Archie's correct though, we really need outside shooting and Green is about the only possible source. If he could just learn to work screens and be prepared to shoot when he gets the ball, I think he'd actually be a very good shooter. The problem is all the bad shots and step backs he takes, with a Kobe degree of difficulty. I hope Archie can push the right buttons with him, I still see promise in this team.

I loathe Doyel and think he is a terrible journalist and writer. That being said it wasn't that his particular question was a bad one, it was just so out of step with the other questions and so tone-deaf with respect to the mood in the room that it appeared more jarring than it really was. If he had asked the same question last week after a loss, amid other negative-sounding questions, it would have gone unnoticed.

I loathe Doyel and think he is a terrible journalist and writer. That being said it wasn't that his particular question was a bad one, it was just so out of step with the other questions and so tone-deaf with respect to the mood in the room that it appeared more jarring than it really was. If he had asked the same question last week after a loss, amid other negative-sounding questions, it would have gone unnoticed.
Hopefully this sobering question jolts Green into being more focused game to game, and more consistent.

Archie let Green be free were not going anywhere without him Archie has to deal with good and bad also playing Race and Hunter over Smith was a great coaching decision. Great win..
Smith played 32 minutes of outstanding defense.

Green may be one of those players who has to be pushed to get mad to prove critics wrong in order to play well. He's not the first. Now with the Player's Rights, a coach has to fear pushing "too far". If true, the shame is now instead of a coach berating a player in a closed practice, he's shamed on youtube.

Yeah, typing with my thumbs on my phone doesn't lend itself to nuance. I think it was pretty blunt and probably unnecessarily so. But, a journalist doesn't owe his subject perfect civility.

But there didn't seem to be much point to it--it seemed more like he thought he was teaching DG a lesson. Which is certainly not his job, or appropriate.

Green has been a pretty big disappointment this year, though. The criticism was fair, even if the delivery was inappropriate.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Nobody acts like a 22 year old who’s, say, got his own apartment, is paying for his own car, and is in a plumber’s apprentice program is a “kid.”
Maybe you are confusing child with kid. Or toddler... Or maybe you are young as well. They are “kids”.

You’re probably right, though there’s no need to get personal about it. That’s the kind of kiddie crap that fellas like vic and Birnk pull.
Lol. I just think that was a shitty thing to ask a kid. He played his heart out. Just accept it. Has nothing to do with his consistency. I can give the kid props without tearing him down and be hopeful he learns from this and does it again next game.

You’re probably right, though there’s no need to get personal about it. That’s the kind of kiddie crap that fellas like vic and Birnk pull.
Don’t blame your shortcomings on me. No one craps kiddie like you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT