ADVERTISEMENT

Green and Durham

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
In your mind, are these guys the two most dissapointing upperclassmen guards that we have had at IU? People are actually blaming Hunter or TJD for that loss. But they were doing what they were supposed to be doing. Green and Durham took hero shots. I don’t know who convinced Durham that he was a 3 pt shooter?

In your mind, are these guys the two most dissapointing upperclassmen guards that we have had at IU? People are actually blaming Hunter or TJD for that loss. But they were doing what they were supposed to be doing. Green and Durham took hero shots. I don’t know who convinced Durham that he was a 3 pt shooter?

Al works really hard and I will be shocked if he isnt an above average player next year.

Rob and Newkirk were 2 seasons ago. Literally no1 would trade those two for Al and Green.

Didn't Durham win us the Michigan State game with a late game 3 when we were down??? Think I'd rather take my chances with Rob and Franklin, however. Though Rob's defense in Maryland game was pretty bad.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
who is blaming TJD for the loss? That's ridiculous.

Hunter made a bad pass at a bad time with a little bad luck involved (Smith slipping). But he also hit some big shots that kept us in it.

Brunk missed a point-blank reverse layup in the first half. Easy 2 points lost. What was the final score again?

Durham's ill-advised 3 pointer was a huge momentum shift.

Rob bricked the front end of a 1-and-1. Need our PG to be clutch at the line. We don't have that.

Green hit some big shots, then took some bad shots. Same deal with him every game.

It was a team loss. Everyone shared some of the blame, including CAM.

I don't want to call out the names of the guards from the post-Yogi era...we know who they were, and it was pretty ugly. Yogi made everyone look better.

who is blaming TJD for the loss? That's ridiculous.

Hunter made a bad pass at a bad time with a little bad luck involved (Smith slipping). But he also hit some big shots that kept us in it.

Brunk missed a point-blank reverse layup in the first half. Easy 2 points lost. What was the final score again?

Durham's ill-advised 3 pointer was a huge momentum shift.

Rob bricked the front end of a 1-and-1. Need our PG to be clutch at the line. We don't have that.

Green hit some big shots, then took some bad shots. Same deal with him every game.

It was a team loss. Everyone shared some of the blame, including CAM.

I don't want to call out the names of the guards from the post-Yogi era...we know who they were, and it was pretty ugly. Yogi made everyone look better.
Even though we have Rob I would try to over-recruit him ASAP

Al works really hard and I will be shocked if he isnt an above average player next year.

Rob and Newkirk were 2 seasons ago. Literally no1 would trade those two for Al and Green.

Id rather have Rob than Green or Durham.

Reactions: ufo33
Id rather have Rob than Green or Durham.

Yeah, but he was a bit of a disappointment shooting-wise and leadership wise to me his senior year. Although I seem to recall he got much better in the 2nd half of his senior season. Still, he was more dependable all the way around and would probably immediately become our best and most dependable shooter.

Durham, is frustrating. At times he can look pretty good, both hitting shots and going to the basket. But, despite decent length and athleticism, he's never been a good defender and he still makes bone-headed plays too often for an upperclassman. Here's hoping he can limit that, focus on staying in front of his man and realize what he's capable of. I do think he's come a long way from the erratic player he was as a freshman.

Archie should be telling Lander that he isn’t married to Phinisee as a starter. We need to start landing guys like Lander, Patterson, Muhammed, Kaufman. I actually don’t think Archie is too bad of an X and O coach. A big upgrade from Crean. But we need some more high end talent in the backcourt/wing position.

Archie should be telling Lander that he isn’t married to Phinisee as a starter. We need to start landing guys like Lander, Patterson, Muhammed, Kaufman. I actually don’t think Archie is too bad of an X and O coach. A big upgrade from Crean. But we need some more high end talent in the backcourt/wing position.
Hunter could be an awesome wing unless the last game was just a fluke.

Nope
Newkirk did not have the talent and ability to be a starting B1G PG.

You mean landing guys like Langford and TJD? Yes, we need more talent, yes next year's class still needs a marquee player or two since we missed on Garcia, but I'm tired of folks saying Archie hasn't recruited well. He's gotten the top player from IN in each of his first two years, both of whom were McD's AA. Yep, he's whiffed on a top tier player for next year so far, but the class isn't over. If he can pull a rabbit out of his hat this spring, and address PG, shooting and another post, I'd love this class and think he's right on track. The only guys who walk right in and land multiple 5 stars at a non-blue blood are either 1) cheaters or 2) the former NBA guys who appeal to those kids. If he gets a class like I describe, I think his recruiting is at least on par with Mack and Holtmann. We're behind the 8 ball at the moment but I also think we're due for a break recruiting wise and I actually think with all the shoe investigations there might be more 4-5 star guys switching schools this spring than normal. We need a bit of a break to get the 2020 class to where it should be but it's not like Archie's recruiting has sucked so far.

You mean landing guys like Langford and TJD? Yes, we need more talent, yes next year's class still needs a marquee player or two since we missed on Garcia, but I'm tired of folks saying Archie hasn't recruited well. He's gotten the top player from IN in each of his first two years, both of whom were McD's AA. Yep, he's whiffed on a top tier player for next year so far, but the class isn't over. If he can pull a rabbit out of his hat this spring, and address PG, shooting and another post, I'd love this class and think he's right on track. The only guys who walk right in and land multiple 5 stars at a non-blue blood are either 1) cheaters or 2) the former NBA guys who appeal to those kids. If he gets a class like I describe, I think his recruiting is at least on par with Mack and Holtmann. We're behind the 8 ball at the moment but I also think we're due for a break recruiting wise and I actually think with all the shoe investigations there might be more 4-5 star guys switching schools this spring than normal. We need a bit of a break to get the 2020 class to where it should be but it's not like Archie's recruiting has sucked so far.

Where in my quote did I say, “he hasn’t recruited well.”

I’m simply stating the obvious that we need to continue to upgrade our roster so we can compete against the best. I’m assuming that is the goal here?

Where in my quote did I say, “he hasn’t recruited well.”

I’m simply stating the obvious that we need to continue to upgrade our roster so we can compete against the best. I’m assuming that is the goal here?
??
[QUOTE="...We need to start landing guys like Lander, Patterson, Muhammed, Kaufman.[/QUOTE]

We need to start recruiting guys like that? That's exactly who TJD and Langford were. And so was Jerome Hunter. It's not CAMs fault he got hurt, but Hunter was also a high level recruit. And you might not have been as overt about it as others, but it's gotten to be a fairly common complaint. Yes, we can always use more talent, but he's done fine so far, and if he can add a marquee name or 2 to 2020, that would continue that streak.

Reactions: MrBing
None of those guys are current backcourt players. That’s my point.

Disclaimer: I’m just really salty about Sunday’s loss. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had such a hard time getting over a loss. We could win the Big Ten Championship and I will still be pissed off about that game. I hate losing to Maryland more than I hate losing to Purdue. And had like 95% chance of winning that game with a 1:30 left.

Reactions: ATLHoosier

Disclaimer: I’m just really salty about Sunday’s loss. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had such a hard time getting over a loss. We could win the Big Ten Championship and I will still be pissed off about that game. I hate losing to Maryland more than I hate losing to Purdue. And had like 95% chance of winning that game with a 1:30 left.

well, let's face it, the reason we all have been so critical about the scoring lapses and indifferent play is that it could cost us a game. Now it has. Maybe that will be the wakeup call these guys need to lock in and give a game's worth of consistent effort. Last years' team never learned that lesson, so if we learn it from here on out, maybe it will be a net positive effect. But, yeah, damn, that did suck!

I had my biggest bet of the year, by a long shot on the game. I still am salty too.

I must be weird as I'm not salty at all, actually the opposite.

Maryland, a top ten team that out raw talents us, played the best that they can on the road. I mean good lord they started out hitting what 9-16 from three with four or five guys hitting them?

Add to it this was the first game that TJD was saddled with foul trouble. So against an athletic, much higher ranked, much more raw talented team who came out on fire...we lose our highest potential NBA guy.

We should have gotten smoked and we would have a couple of weeks ago.

What I saw was guys we've been waiting on all year finally step up (Hunter and Deron), I saw Green get back in line (16 pts, 5 reb, 3 assists, 0 turnovers), I saw Rob play a solid point guard where he got everyone involved and distributed but most importantly (and the announcers said it too) we got great movement and anticipation on offense.

We just played a potential elite 8, final four team that was red hot and should have won the game because the team played like it's coming together and figuring itself out.

That has me incredibly encouraged.

I tip my hat to Maryland. Would have been a great win but like Knight would say, he's more concerned how we play and lately we've been playing as well as we have all year.

Josh Newkirk was pretty bad.......we could have a good debate about which of the 3 is worse....

If he's not a 3 pt shooter he's nothing........shoot 'em Al....

Durham isn't disappointing. He is a high-motor, low ceiling role player. He is doing everything he can. He isn't a killer from deep, he is too slight to score in other ways or defend at an elite level, and he can't handle the ball well enough to be a lead distributor type point.

He'll never be a 15 ppg guy on a good big ten team.

Green, on the other hand, is disappointing, because he can do ALL those things, but he just doesn't. Archie is obviously over it, given Green's minutes lately.

Reactions: channi

Maryland, a top ten team that out raw talents us, played the best that they can on the road. I mean good lord they started out hitting what 9-16 from three with four or five guys hitting them?

Add to it this was the first game that TJD was saddled with foul trouble. So against an athletic, much higher ranked, much more raw talented team who came out on fire...we lose our highest potential NBA guy.

What I saw was guys we've been waiting on all year finally step up (Hunter and Deron), I saw Green get back in line (16 pts, 5 reb, 3 assists, 0 turnovers), I saw Rob play a solid point guard where he got everyone involved and distributed but most importantly (and the announcers said it too) we got great movement and anticipation on offense.

We just played a potential elite 8, final four team that was red hot and should have won the game because the team played like it's coming together and figuring itself out.

I tip my hat to Maryland. Would have been a great win but like Knight would say, he's more concerned how we play and lately we've been playing as well as we have all year.

Green got back in line until he wasn't in line anymore.

Reactions: SouthernIN845
He was against MSU.

We played great man. But you can’t lose that game. Not the way that we did. Dumb decisions.

We played great man. But you can’t lose that game. Not the way that we did. Dumb decisions.

Yeah Rob and AL missed clutch free throws.

AL and Green took bad threes (Al's was really early and led to a Maryland three).

Jerome had a horrible turnover. If he's going to be a key cog of the program going forward he needs to get experience in clutch situations, but it was a bad decision on his part.

Anyway it happens. Credit Maryland for bombing two desperation threes and hitting their freebies down the stretch.

I think we are 5-1 in close games this year. Probably should have lost vs MSU.

I don't see it as a recurring issue which is surprising because I'm trying to figure out who has the balls to hit clutch free throws on this team.

It might be Trayce which is silly but vs Nebraska both Rob and Al again clanked game winning freebies and it was Trayce that stepped up a sealed the win.

This team needs to figure out who their gamer is if there is one.

Its a damn miracle that we've been so good in close games without having a clutch go to.

Durham isn't disappointing. He is a high-motor, low ceiling role player. He is doing everything he can. He isn't a killer from deep, he is too slight to score in other ways or defend at an elite level, and he can't handle the ball well enough to be a lead distributor type point.

He'll never be a 15 ppg guy on a good big ten team.

Green, on the other hand, is disappointing, because he can do ALL those things, but he just doesn't. Archie is obviously over it, given Green's minutes lately.
Durham draws more fouls per possession than any other player we have and is the only player we have that can penetrate a defense.

Worst thing about Al---his rebounding...2.8 per every 40 BT minutes played....not good for a 6'4" SG......actually, just kidding...the worse thing about Al is his D, but his rebounding is pretty bad.

Best thing about DG--his rebounding....6.7 per every 40 BT minutes played.

Durham draws more fouls per possession than any other player we have and is the only player we have that can penetrate a defense.
Yeah, I didn't say he was trash. But, he's not the only player that can penetrate. His assist rate and eFG are lower than Phin's in conference.

Maybe I'm being a little hard on him. He might average 15 a game next year in conference. I'd say that's unlikely but not impossible. He's shooting a dismal .276 on 2's. I don't think he shoots a lot of midrange stuff, so he isn't finishing well when he isn't fouled.

The success of the team will depend on how Archie handles the guards. Everyone seems to know the strengths and weaknesses of the four guards we have. The real question is how Archie will manage them. By this time, he should know what he can get from each of them. It will be interesting to see how he uses them for the rest of the season. The team has enough talent to make Tourney. Can he get them there?​

Yeah, I didn't say he was trash. But, he's not the only player that can penetrate. His assist rate and eFG are lower than Phin's in conference.

Maybe I'm being a little hard on him. He might average 15 a game next year in conference. I'd say that's unlikely but not impossible. He's shooting a dismal .276 on 2's. I don't think he shoots a lot of midrange stuff, so he isn't finishing well when he isn't fouled.
Eh, I wasn't arguing, I see him just as many do, a serviceable role player... just pointing out why we need him this year. His FTR is high because he penetrates and FTR is the best indicator of a player who is getting into the teeth of a defense. 83% of his offensive possession used (in conference) ends in ft attempts. The next highest non interior player is Jerome at 39% followed by Devonte at 34. < which point to non penetrators. Phinisee is at 15%. < which is horrible. The only perimeter player we have that severely threatens defenses off the dribble, is Al.

Last edited:
Green maybe. Durham no way
You probably thought he was just fine with the late 3 against MSU

Reactions: kkott
His two big makes in the previous game are what convinced him. His ill advised 3 and the one from DG we’re just total crap decisions. They sure don’t think like experienced players. Too bad.

Eh, I wasn't arguing, I see him just as many do, a serviceable role player... just pointing out why we need him this year. His FTR is high because he penetrates and FTR is the best indicator of a player who is getting into the teeth of a defense. 83% of his offensive possession used (in conference) ends in ft attempts. The next highest non interior player is Jerome at 39% followed by Devonte at 34. < which point to non penetrators. Phinisee is at 15%. < which is horrible. The only perimeter player we have that severely threatens defenses off the dribble, is Al.
Without even citing stats, it’s pretty easy to say AD is the best perimeter player driving to the rim. He does so with reckless abandon, which doesn’t always end too well, but does often force a whistle. Gotta give that to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT