ADVERTISEMENT

**Great Shot of MP Breaking the Plane**

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Perhaps the rest of you have seen this already but I hadn't since I'm not on twitter... This is a twitter link from this sites homepage... About 4 photos in thru a slideshow there's the very best shot of the ball clearly breaking the plane that should end any doubts once and forever... :

That was a thing of beauty!

IU bookstore ought to frame that shot and sell it...!

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
Everyone talks about the pylon but the pylon has nothing to do with the TD. The ball hits the ground before the pylon, true, but the ball also crossed the line prior to hitting the ground....true. So the pylon falling is nothing more than a hypothetical victory cigar.

But the pylon falling is what garnered the conversion call in the first place. Without the pylon falling, there's no 2pt conversion signal from the ref.

But the pylon falling is what garnered the conversion call in the first place. Without the pylon falling, there's no 2pt conversion signal from the ref.

But that is getting into the semantics. The truth is, the ball crossed the line and saying it didn't because the ball hit the ground before hit the pylon is misguided. Even DraftKings refunded some bets for Penn State because of the call but the call was correct. Plain and simple.

But that is getting into the semantics. The truth is, the ball crossed the line and saying it didn't because the ball hit the ground before hit the pylon is misguided. Even DraftKings refunded some bets for Penn State because of the call but the call was correct. Plain and simple.
A lot of people (mainly psu and for some reason purdue fans) are showing theyve never played football by using the argument the ball hit the ground before it hit the pylon. Anyone that knows the rules of football knows it doesnt have to hit the pylon it just needs to cross the plain. They also know that unless the ball touches out of bounds it doesnt matter if the ball hits the ground. The ball hitting the ground does not make the ball carrier down.

Reactions: iu60 and vesuvius13
Perhaps the rest of you have seen this already but I hadn't since I'm not on twitter... This is a twitter link from this sites homepage... About 4 photos in thru a slideshow there's the very best shot of the ball clearly breaking the plane that should end any doubts once and forever... :

That was a thing of beauty!

IU bookstore ought to frame that shot and sell it...!

Wow, nice. That needs to get out there, esp. to PSU and other BT fans.......

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I’ve been saying this since Saturday.

Think about it:

In order for the ball to touch the ground on the white line at the pylon, IT HAS TO CROSS THE VERTICAL PLANE TO DO SO! That plane starts at the very front of the goal line. Not in the middle. Not behind it. The vertical plane starts at the very front of the goal line.

You cannot get to points B and C on the field without first going through point A.

The ground is irrelevant unless it is before the goal line.

Who cares what anyone thinks at this point?
If the same call had gone PU's way or PSU's way they'd take it and think they deserve it just like we do. As posted above the ball had to cross the plane to land where it did. Nobody likes IU getting better except us. People been counting on that W in this conference for decades. No longer. Go Hoosiers!

P.S. - They tried to take it away for over 5 min. If they could have they would have. No secret the B1G would've preferred to have undefeated top 10 teams playing this week. I'm still shocked they didn't rob us again.

Everyone talks about the pylon but the pylon has nothing to do with the TD. The ball hits the ground before the pylon, true, but the ball also crossed the line prior to hitting the ground....true. So the pylon falling is nothing more than a hypothetical victory cigar.
The runner is down when any part of their body other than hand or foot makes contact with the ground. I believe the ball is an extension of one's hand. If the player still has control of the ball, the ball touching the ground does play

The runner is down when any part of their body other than hand or foot makes contact with the ground. I believe the ball is an extension of one's hand. If the player still has control of the ball, the ball touching the ground does play
if the back of his hand hit the ground but not the ball until it broke the line would that mean the ball was still in play?

The rule is if the ball touches the ground but the player hasnt and is still in bounds than the ball is still in play. Per a rules analyst on espn today the ball touching out of bounds does not mean the play is dead because the player is still in play.

The rule is if the ball touches the ground but the player hasnt and is still in bounds than the ball is still in play. Per a rules analyst on espn today the ball touching out of bounds does not mean the play is dead because the player is still in play.
I stand corrected here are the official ncaa rules

PLAY SITUATIONS: PLAYERS IN BOUNDS AND OUT OF BOUNDS
Player In Bounds/Out of Bounds and Ball Out of Bounds
 A player is out of bounds if any body part is touching a sideline, end line, or
anything, other than another player or a game official, that is on or beyond a
sideline or end line.
 An out-of-bounds player who becomes airborne remains out of bounds until he
establishes himself inbounds by touching the ground inbounds without
simultaneously being out of bounds.
 An inbounds player is one who is not out of bounds.
 An inbounds player who becomes airborne remains in bounds until he becomes
out of bounds.
 A ball not in player possession is out of bounds if it is touching anything that is
out of bounds.
 A ball not in player possession is in bounds if it is not out of bounds.
 A ball in player possession is out of bounds if the ball or the player touches
anything that is out of bounds other than a game official or another player.
 An originally eligible pass receiver loses his eligibility when he goes out of
bounds, either on his own or due to contact with an opponent.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It's apparent to me that we didn't see all of the views on TV that the officials saw while reviewing it. At the time, I thought it was inconclusive. However, yesterday I saw a video with an angle straight on the goal line that looked pretty obvious that the correct call was made.

So the broadcast feed doesn't have the same replays as the officials?

How can that be?

That actually happens more than youd think.

Doesn't the officials use the networks equipment? Cameras, recorders, monitors etc..

If yes, then why would the network not have access to all different camera angles?

Or is there some agreement that keeps certain angles only for the officials?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT