ADVERTISEMENT

Great season

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
My heart is now back in normal rhythm after yesterday's nail-biter, although I'm still convinced that the game took years off my life. With a clearer head and a slower pulse, I'm reflecting on the regular season today along with many of you guys.

8-4, 5-4 in conference play. It has literally been a generation since we've seen numbers like that, and there's definitely a surreal aspect to this. Congratulations to Coach Allen, his staff and the team for making this an incredibly memorable season, with one more victory to go!

I think IU football is well-positioned for a very successful and extended run. Recruiting, already solid under CTA and staff, should really take off after this breakthrough season, and we'll see clear evidence of this in the 2021 class. Further, we have a bunch of impact players returning next year, and all of our young guys should improve with additional S&C, good coaching, and experience.

I'm concerned, though, about the defense. It allows teams to hang around that have no business being in the game. The Nebraska game comes to mind, and yesterday was another prime example. We blew an 18-point late third quarter lead, and could have lost the game at the end of regulation as Purdue, with 2:11 on the clock, moved from their own 2 to our 40 and came perilously close to being within field goal range (nice play by Reese Taylor to break up a pass that, if completed, would have given Purdue the ball well inside our 30).

Obviously Coach Allen knows a lot more about defense than I do, and presumably he'll be all over this in both the prep leading up to the bowl game and during the off-season.

So, yeah, we've got some flaws and there's work to be done, but it is so great right now to be a fan of a competitive Big Ten team that has a very bright future. Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT