ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Gelon has been given his release

That leaves IU with seven players on the roster for 2018. Even fewer if anyone declares for the NBA (not likely but you never can tell).

It will be interesting to see if CAM leaves a couple of open scholarships when all of the dust has settled with next year's recruiting.

Will be interesting to see what coach does. Bowen, Waters, maker still out there.... personally I think he leaves it or goes grad transfer. Also think he leaves a spot or 2 opened next class. If he gets a couple one and done types like Langford he may use them all, otherwise filling all spots next year goes against the balanced class approach.

Good for both parties. He's a D2 player at best.
My cousin is a former juco and DII player that is beginning his college coaching career. He saw Gelon play in one of the Indiana All Star scrimmages at the school he coached at that year. He wanted to see why IU recruited Gelon. After watching him, he didn't see why Crean would have wanted him.

Gelon had a good summer in AAU. His high school career was okay for a walk on, but no more special than what you would find on any high school team in the state. I hope he finds a good program that will allow him to get a good education and be able to play basketball.

My cousin is a former juco and DII player that is beginning his college coaching career. He saw Gelon play in one of the Indiana All Star scrimmages at the school he coached at that year. He wanted to see why IU recruited Gelon. After watching him, he didn't see why Crean would have wanted him.

Gelon had a good summer in AAU. His high school career was okay for a walk on, but no more special than what you would find on any high school team in the state. I hope he finds a good program that will allow him to get a good education and be able to play basketball.
Indiana Wesleyan would be my best guess landing spot

Thank God.

Don't blame the kid for taking the ride, but Crean had NO BUSINESS giving it to him. This opens it up for a kid that can actually help us.

There is talk it might go to a kid Archie recruited at Dayton (forget the name). Really tough guard. He was rated zero stars but said he'll be a 4 star when the new rankings come out because he had a great spring.

Thank God.

Don't blame the kid for taking the ride, but Crean had NO BUSINESS giving it to him. This opens it up for a kid that can actually help us.

There is talk it might go to a kid Archie recruited at Dayton (forget the name). Really tough guard. He was rated zero stars but said he'll be a 4 star when the new rankings come out because he had a great spring.
I have heard we are looking at some international kid.

Will be interesting to see what coach does. Bowen, Waters, maker still out there.... personally I think he leaves it or goes grad transfer. Also think he leaves a spot or 2 opened next class. If he gets a couple one and done types like Langford he may use them all, otherwise filling all spots next year goes against the balanced class approach.
UD's top recruit opened up his recruitment. I believe he is a point guard and still available. If CAM was really impressed with him, he could offer a scholarship. Otherwise, I don't see him using the scholarship unless a graduate transfer is still out there that could help us inside. A good big might allow us to the option to redshirt one of our recruits to
Thank God.

If RMK would have been dumb enough to offer me a scholarship, I would have done exactly what Gelon did and accept almost immediately

I think McKinley Wright is the person most think could follow CAM. He was the Minnesota Mr. Basketball and is a point guard.

UD's top recruit opened up his recruitment. I believe he is a point guard and still available. If CAM was really impressed with him, he could offer a scholarship. Otherwise, I don't see him using the scholarship unless a graduate transfer is still out there that could help us inside. A good big might allow us to the option to redshirt one of our recruits to

If RMK would have been dumb enough to offer me a scholarship, I would have done exactly what Gelon did and accept almost immediately

I think McKinley Wright is the person most think could follow CAM. He was the Minnesota Mr. Basketball and is a point guard.
I am pretty sure that Wright has signed with Colorado. There is a6'6 forward that committed to Dayton that is still available but he is not even in the top 300.

I am pretty sure that Wright has signed with Colorado. There is a6'6 forward that committed to Dayton that is still available but he is not even in the top 300.
Bummer. I remember checking that guard out after CAM was hired and thought he could be a good option if we lost our recruits. I kind of remember the 6'-6 guy. He sounded like a Devin Davis type, iirc, that was a better rebounder and player inside than his size would suggest. He didn't strike me as anyone we needed.

Thank God.

Crean did this kid a total disservice by giving him a grant. The kid probably thought he may get a chance to play or he would not have come. He basially wasted a year and now has to sit out a year. Crean did the same with Priller though he seems fine with not playing.

Crean did this kid a total disservice by giving him a grant. The kid probably thought he may get a chance to play or he would not have come. He basially wasted a year and now has to sit out a year. Crean did the same with Priller though he seems fine with not playing.
I was half joking when I said that Priller could have graduated in 3 years but added a second major so it would take him 4 years. He must be content to be a part of the team and be on campus.

McKinley Wright commuted to Colorado recently.

Shocking..

giphy.gif

Good for both parties. He's a D2 player at best.
I admit that I never saw him play before he got to IU so obviously I did not see enough to evaluate his potential. This is old news at this point, but I thought that he at least deserved a chance to see what he could do especially the way the season went. I was impressed that (if memory serves me right) that he hit two back-to-back threes in the Michigan debacle. It was at that point that I thought that he deserved a chance. One thing our Hall of Fame coach Knight did was to give every player at least one chance to see what he could do.

Anyway, I hope him the best. It will be interesting if the projections of many on this board come true about his potential. I always say beware on judging freshman because I remember years ago that Ted Kitchel was terrible his freshman year and he became All Big Ten I believe. (Also, for those of you that are grammatically challenged I started a second paragraph. It's a lot easier to read a long post if you break it up into paragraphs) Thanks for reading!

ADVERTISEMENT