ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Gelon commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your definition of doing well?

As I've said about 20 times already, if we don't make at least the Elite 8 this year, he should be gone.

Also, for two years in a row, we've gotten worse as the year has gone on.

I don't care if he had a team of walk-ons. That's unacceptable.

Reactions: Ibuildfurnaces
As I've said about 20 times already, if we don't make at least the Elite 8 this year, he should be gone.

If we finish in the top 3 of the conference and get a top 4 seed in the tournament but lose in the sweet 16 he would not be fired. You can't just base if he stays or goes on how far he goes in the tournament because there is some much goes into having tournament success. So by miracle he goes 30-2 and wins the big ten tournament but doesn't make the elite 8 you would fire a coach.

Good post. But I would suggest his teams have gotten worse EVERY year he has been at IU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: TheLaffy
If we finish in the top 3 of the conference and get a top 4 seed in the tournament but lose in the sweet 16 he would not be fired. You can't just base if he stays or goes on how far he goes in the tournament because there is some much goes into having tournament success. So by miracle he goes 30-2 and wins the big ten tournament but doesn't make the elite 8 you would fire a coach.

Let's see your miracle happen first.

Reactions: Creaned Heat

true, tourney is a little luck of the draw but he's lost the benefit of the doubt. he needs to be judged on everything his team does or doesn't do.

and i think you really overemphasize luck in the tourney anyway. why are some coaches so much better in it with equal talent? you can't really say it's luck anymore after 16 or 17 years, can you?

Last edited:
true, tourney is a little luck of the draw but he's lost the benefit of the doubt. he needs to be judged on everything his team does or doesn't do.

and i think you really overemphasize luck in the tourney anyway. why are some coach's so much better in it with equal talent? you can't really say it's luck anymore after 16 or 17 years, can you?
Just take us in 2002 we played a 12 seed in the first round and in the second round we got a break when the 13th seed beat a 4. then after beating duke we Played a 1tth seed I believe in Kent St. in the elite 8. Also my main point was you can't just look at what he does on the tournament this year to say he goes or stays.

we can and we will.

16 years coaching: 8 tourney berths and has lost 4 of those first games. time to judge his tourney record.
I would argue IU had much more talent than MSU last year. Change bench coaches and MSU finishes last in the BT and IU wins the BT

we can and we will.

16 years coaching: 8 tourney berths and has lost 4 of those first games. time to judge his tourney record.
You can't make that broad statement because you have to look at how well we did in the season as well. like my example is if we have that miracle season there is no way you could fire him even if we lose in the second round. Say he won 30 regular season games and 3 BIG Ten tournament games so that is 33 wins plus two in the tournament which would be 35 which without me looking would probably be an all time record for IU. If you fired a guy after a season like that then there would be absolutely no one willing to take the job because you just fired a guy who set the all time wins record for a season.

I honestly think if we don't do well this year.....and everyone has their own definition of that.......he's gone.

Half his team will be new next year and all we'll get is another 2 years of non-stop crying, "We're so young" that only the most blind groupies will be able to stomach it.
I agree. I think he should be gone if we tank down the stretch like we have the last two years, regardless of where we end up. We had a good chance of making the NCAA in '13-'14 if we would have just gone .500 in our last 12 games. We would have had a much better seed than#10 if we had finished .500 this year.

We should be a 4-5 seed in the NCAA at a minimum. We should make it to the Sweet 16 at a minimum. If he fails to do that and doesn't bring in a top 10 recruiting class, Glass will be under fire if a change isn't made. If we don't have success this year, it will be a while before we will have another chance. The time to make a change is when an opportunity was squandered and there isn't a good chance of getting to that point in the near future.

All this said, I hope we play for an NCAA title and get a top 5 class. In the end, I don't care if Crean is the coach or not. Just win.

Just take us in 2002 we played a 12 seed in the first round and in the second round we got a break when the 13th seed beat a 4. then after beating duke we Played a 1tth seed I believe in Kent St. in the elite 8. Also my main point was you can't just look at what he does on the tournament this year to say he goes or stays.

you are talking about ONE year. Crean has been coaching for 16. yes, we can judge him by the tourney and Glass sure as hell will. The tourney is THE thing.

you are talking about ONE year. Crean has been coaching for 16. yes, we can judge him by the tourney and Glass sure as hell will. The tourney is THE thing.
that was just one example of what can effect on how a team does in the tournament and there is a lot more but that was not the point but to say that you can't just say that if he does not make the elite 8 then you fire him. so if he wins 35 games this year but loses before the elite 8 you would actually think anyone would fire the coach. If that is the case then I am glad you are not the AD because you would not have anyone interest in working for an AD who fired a coach who won that many games in a season.

Reactions: ORG
that was just one example of what can effect on how a team does in the tournament and there is a lot more but that was not the point but to say that you can't just say that if he does not make the elite 8 then you fire him. so if he wins 35 games this year but loses before the elite 8 you would actually think anyone would fire the coach. If that is the case then I am glad you are not the AD because you would not have anyone interest in working for an AD who fired a coach who won that many games in a season.

things average out over time. yes, fire him because we'll likely struggle to make the tourney the following year.

and you are making a weird case. IU will not win 35 this year. iu might not win 25 with a beefed up schedule.

but i get it: you love to say the tourney is luck. draws are luck but tourney performance can be measured over time. some coaches are good at it and some are not. ours is not. we need two more years to figure that out? PSHAWWWW

things average out over time. yes, fire him because we'll likely struggle to make the tourney the following year.

and you are making a weird case. IU will not win 35 this year. iu might not win 25 with a beefed up schedule.

but i get it: you love to say the tourney is luck. draws are luck but tourney performance can be measured over time. some coaches are good at it and some are not. ours is not. we need two more years to figure that out? PSHAWWWW
will we win that much probably not but I just can't think you can make the broad statement of saying that he will be fired just because we don't get to the elite 8./ there has been a lot of very good teams that lost early in the tournament so to base your judgment on the season just on that is very short sighted. Again thank god you are not the AD because fans never make good decision makers because they don't think with their minds but their hearts. Nobody in their right mind would even consider this job if you fire a coach with that many wins even if you don't think he would be able to back that season up with another good season.

will we win that much probably not but I just can't think you can make the broad statement of saying that he will be fired just because we don't get to the elite 8./ there has been a lot of very good teams that lost early in the tournament so to base your judgment on the season just on that is very short sighted. Again thank god you are not the AD because fans never make good decision makers because they don't think with their minds but their hearts. Nobody in their right mind would even consider this job if you fire a coach with that many wins even if you don't think he would be able to back that season up with another good season.

sure, every coach loses early with a good team sometimes. our coaches just loses early in the tourney with every team but one all the time. ya, no one wants to make $4 mil a year and play in a sold out arena. DUMB

The odds of us winning 35 games is the same as me dating Halle Berry next weekend.

Let's say it happens. We win 35 games but, once again, choke in the Dance. Half the team leaves and we have a recruiting class ranked around 20.

You think we're going to be any good the next two or three years based on Crean's record with a "young" team?

Then his contract is up to the point where you have to give him an extension or everyone will start screaming, "He can't get good talent if they don't know he's going to be here for another 10 years!!"

You going to give him yet another absurd extension or cut bait?

If you're going to cut bait, then why waste those two years when we're going to suck anyway?

Reactions: Hoogolf
sure, every coach loses early with a good team sometimes. our coaches just loses early in the tourney with every team but one all the time. ya, no one wants to make $4 mil a year and play in a sold out arena. DUMB
There would be no coaches wanting to coach at a school and for a fan base who would actually fire their coach if they win 35 games in a season but loses early in the tournament. Ok how about the other end of the spectrum where we had a very bad 4/5 of a season but finish strong but have a record of 14-18 but win the conference tournament to make the tournament. Since we are hot and make it to the elite 8 then you would be telling me that you would keep the coach who had lost 19 games but made the elite 8.

short of a BT title/NCAA final 8 or 4, he should be canned because he should have been canned 2 years ago. Send the private jet to Boston with a blank check and come home with the best coach in college basketball. simple

The odds of us winning 35 games is the same as me dating Halle Berry next weekend.

Let's say it happens. We win 35 games but, once again, choke in the Dance. Half the team leaves and we have a recruiting class ranked around 20.

You think we're going to be any good the next two or three years based on Crean's record with a "young" team?

Then his contract is up to the point where you have to give him an extension or everyone will start screaming, "He can't get good talent if they don't know he's going to be here for another 10 years!!"

You going to give him yet another absurd extension or cut bait?

If you're going to cut bait, then why waste those two years when we're going to suck anyway?
there is no way you fire a coach if he has that kind of regular season even if you think next year won't be as good.

short of a BT title/NCAA final 8 or 4, he should be canned because he should have been canned 2 years ago. Send the private jet to Boston with a blank check and come home with the best coach in college basketball. simple
problem with that is that the jet probably come back empty since Stevens will not be leaving Boston any time soon and I would rather have Marshall anyways.

You think Glass made a great decision giving Crean that extension.....especially when he did it?

And I think you're clueless that "nobody would consider it."

Kentucky fired Tubby a couple seasons after he won a Title and it didn't scare away Calipari.

A smart hungry coach would see we have one of the top recruiting states in the entire country. And I hate to break it to ya, but A-types actually like challenges.

I wouldn't want a coach like Few who is thrilled with being a little over mediocre every year as long as he has a safe job.

You think Glass made a great decision giving Crean that extension.....especially when he did it?

And I think you're clueless that "nobody would consider it."

Kentucky fired Tubby a couple seasons after he won a Title and it didn't scare away Calipari.

A smart hungry coach would see we have one of the top recruiting states in the entire country. And I hate to break it to ya, but A-types actually like challenges.

I wouldn't want a coach like Few who is thrilled with being a little over mediocre every year as long as he has a safe job.
I totally disagree because I think the coaches who would really make a difference would never come if you fire a coach after winning 35 games. No way Marshall would be stupid enough or Stevens to come into this fan base if winning that many games is not good enough.

there is no way you fire a coach if he has that kind of regular season even if you think next year won't be as good.

San Francisco fired Harbaugh after all the success he had but didn't win it all.

UCLA fired Ben when he made 3 straight Final Fours but didn't win it all.

I bet I could find you more examples if I thought about it.

If we win 35 games Crean sholdnt be fired.....and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of Crean. Now if we go say 22-12 and are a 7 seed.....he needs to go.

Reactions: Hoogolf
San Francisco fired Harbaugh after all the success he had but didn't win it all.

UCLA fired Ben when he made 3 straight Final Fours but didn't win it all.

I bet I could find you more examples if I thought about it.
And both of them were fired for things off the field and not on it. Both of them would still be at those places if it was just about the on court stuff but Harbaugh had conflicts with the GM and his players. Howland was let go because he lost control of his players and was having a lot of off the court stuff. Like I said if Crean had a great regular season but does not make the elite 8 he will not lose his job.

If we win 35 games Crean sholdnt be fired.....and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of Crean. Now if we go say 22-12 and are a 7 seed.....he needs to go.
totally agree
totally agree

There would be no coaches wanting to coach at a school and for a fan base who would actually fire their coach if they win 35 games in a season but loses early in the tournament. Ok how about the other end of the spectrum where we had a very bad 4/5 of a season but finish strong but have a record of 14-18 but win the conference tournament to make the tournament. Since we are hot and make it to the elite 8 then you would be telling me that you would keep the coach who had lost 19 games but made the elite 8.

you are prob right in practice but it will ever happen. you are always arguing against a straw man (like the non-existent posters who you said wanted zero star instate players over 3 start out of state players) and now you are arguing for straw seasons. back to ignore with you. lol.

I totally disagree because I think the coaches who would really make a difference would never come if you fire a coach after winning 35 games. No way Marshall would be stupid enough or Stevens to come into this fan base if winning that many games is not good enough.

Karl won a franchise-record number of games, got Coach of the Year, but lost in the first round....and was fired.

And you keep ducking the fact that Kaintuck got rid of Tubby after winning a Title and having a record most schools would kill for.....and they got Calipari.

Play-offs are what matters in sports. Manning was the best "regular season" QB of all time but the biggest choker of all time in the play-offs. Half was his fault, half was Dungy's.

The Bengals will fire their coach this season if they don't win in the play-offs because "just getting there" isn't enough for them anymore. And that's the Bengals.

Stevens and Marshall aren't coming here even if Crean wins 10 games and gets fired so I couldn't care less about them.

Give me someone that has the chance to be great over someone that has been mostly awful the time he's been here for 7 years.....especially when we're going to stink the next two years anyway after half the team leaves.

an AD with vision would. dude did fire a sweet 16 soccer coach. crean's been here long enough and we are working with a large body of work. wouldn't scare other candidates. they've seen crean's failures.

Karl won a franchise-record number of games, got Coach of the Year, but lost in the first round....and was fired.

And you keep ducking the fact that Kaintuck got rid of Tubby after winning a Title and having a record most schools would kill for.....and they got Calipari.

Play-offs are what matters in sports. Manning was the best "regular season" QB of all time but the biggest choker of all time in the play-offs. Half was his fault, half was Dungy's.

The Bengals will fire their coach this season if they don't win in the play-offs because "just getting there" isn't enough for them anymore. And that's the Bengals.

Stevens and Marshall aren't coming here even if Crean wins 10 games and gets fired so I couldn't care less about them.

Give me someone that has the chance to be great over someone that has been mostly awful the time he's been here for 7 years.....especially when we're going to stink the next two years anyway after half the team leaves.
Kentucky did not get rid of Tubby the season after they won the championship because he won it in 1998 and was there until 2007 so he had went 8 years without making the final four. As for the Bengals which I really don't care but probably won't fire Lewis because they would have done it along time ago.

I have seen him play plenty. He is a tremendous shooter. Quick release. Range is legit, even past 25 feet.

Defense, ball handling need to improve. Will not be playing inside on either end of the floor.

I certainly never saw this offer coming, but heard CTC was looking at him about 6 wks ago. I am shocked IU's first region recruit since Matt Nover is from CP.
Thanks for the nice report from someone that has actually seen him play. He also had 7 boards a game as a junior. legit 6'5", nice frame (not skinny) ,Indiana kid. Depends on how he develops. Welcome to IU BB.

an AD with vision would. dude did fire a sweet 16 soccer coach. crean's been here long enough and we are working with a large body of work. wouldn't scare other candidates. they've seen crean's failures.

Didn't we fire Mallory even after he made bowl games.....at Indiana when we've been in last place for almost forever?

And yet, we'll stick with a below average basketball coach?

Reactions: Creaned Heat
Kentucky did not get rid of Tubby the season after they won the championship because he won it in 1998 and was there until 2007 so he had went 8 years without making the final four. As for the Bengals which I really don't care but probably won't fire Lewis because they would have done it along time ago.

I didn't say they fired him the season they won it all.

But he had won a Title. And how "bad" was his record when they fired him?

Lots of Kaintuck fans are screaming because they didn't win it all last season with the "deepest team ever." If Pay Pal Cal gets to the Final Four for the next 3 years and doesn't win it all, I bet they can him.....and would have ZERO problem getting a great coach.

Good post. I am seriously dumb-founded how anyone can be happy about IU basketball in its current state. They have won 52% of their games under him and have 1 BT finish higher than 5th and everyone is doing hand stands over 2 sweet 16 finishes. Is the fanbase so dulled? indifferent?

We have become....Minnesota.

This may well be true but here's the problem...YOUR problem. A review of your last 100 posts provides so many statements that mat have been intended to be sarcastic or funny yet appeared idiotic that anything you now post is regarded as clownish. JMHO

I didn't say they fired him the season they won it all.

But he had won a Title. And how "bad" was his record when they fired him?

Lots of Kaintuck fans are screaming because they didn't win it all last season with the "deepest team ever." If Pay Pal Cal gets to the Final Four for the next 3 years and doesn't win it all, I bet they can him.....and would have ZERO problem getting a great coach.

Never get to that point, he'd leave for the league and expose where the skeletons are and then there would be vacated games, seasons and scholarship sanctions. Oops! Wait, we're talking about UK, there'd be nothing but the public shame every other fanbase would throw upon bbn and the righteous indignation of the cat faithful. Look out Cleveland State!

Didn't we fire Mallory even after he made bowl games.....at Indiana when we've been in last place for almost forever?

And yet, we'll stick with a below average basketball coach?

How many years before his firing was the last bowl game appearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT